[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you cu\ck\s tell me what is the deal with Red Velvet Cake?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: Red Velvet.jpg (67 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Red Velvet.jpg
67 KB, 800x800
Can you cu\ck\s tell me what is the deal with Red Velvet Cake?

>friend says red velvet cake is the best
>brings me a piece to try later
>try it out
>it's literally just a chocolate cake that's colored red and has cream cheese frosting instead of the usual frosting
>tells me i'm wrong, it tastes like red velvet
>ask friend to explain to me what red velvet is supposed to be
>they can't, says its a unique flavor that can't be described

Am I missing something here? What is Red Velvet Cake supposed to taste like? Does it have a "flavor" that it can be described as? I can only see it as being a fucking meme cake that people drop extra $ for because it's red and has cream cheese.
>>
Your a hueg faget thats what
>>
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that Red Velvet cake was any good.
>>
>>7404374
It tastes like chocolate cake colored red with creme cheese frosting. That's why its good nigga.
>>
Every time I've had it (which is not many) it's been exactly as you described: a chocolate cake dyed red.

However:
-the original recipe used a combination of beet juice and vinegar which was responsible for the color and supposedly a different texture. The nothing-but-red-dye-#2 is a modern shortcut from box mixes for midwest housewives who can't cook.

And it's also well known that color and presentation of food makes a difference in how we perceive it. There were a couple good studies on wine a few years ago where they had the same sommeliers compare wine that was dyed the same color (or served in black glasses) and then the same wines as-is. They had radically different opinions of the wine despite there was no actual change to its taste.
>>
>>7404385

Then you are effectively chocolate cake is bad. Because that's what it is. Chocolate cake that is red.

>>7404382

You got me man, but tell me about the red velvet. Why does it command a unique name when it's just "Red Chocolate Cake".
>>
>>7404399
I would imagine because the texture of the cake, when cut, looks like red velvet.
>>
>>7404374
>first letter of every line
not falling for it
>>
>>7404403

So why isn't chocolate cake called Black Velvet? Or a vanilla cake called White Velvet?

Why does coloring it red allow it to gain a whole new name and imaging?
>>
I like red velvet because it isn't as rich as straight chocolate cake.

Anyone ever had ketchup cake? Looks like red velvet, and tastes almost like carrot cake or pumpkin pie. Not even kidding.
>>
>>7404411
because not everybody has autism and didn't think of your precious existence at the time
>>
>>7404404

>fbtitat

BEETHOVEN CONFIRMED FOR JFK ASSASSINATION
>>
File: 1421698017557.gif (1 MB, 200x254) Image search: [Google]
1421698017557.gif
1 MB, 200x254
>>7404421
>>
>>7404374
the difference is that chocolate cake tastes like chocolate and red velvet cake tastes like cocoa powder, this is because the recipes are different. red velvet cake has less cocoa in it than chocolate cake and also uses vinegar for a different texture.

the recipes are entirely different if you look at a recipe for real red velvet cake vs. chocolate cake.

also, think about red velvet cake without the frosting - it would be pretty bland, no? but chocolate cake is not bland at all.
>>
>>7404411
Why isn't tandoori chicken just called chicken?
Because appearance contributes to flavor.
>>
>>7404434

You for real son? It's because they use the Tandoori Masala mix on the chicken, and it's cooked in a special oven known as a Tandoor. So the name gives away the flavor and how it's made.

Unless the cake tastes like literal velvet or velvet is used to make the cake in some way, your comparison makes no sense.
>>
>>7404461
Its still chicken
>>
>>7404392
>-the original recipe used a combination of beet juice and vinegar which was responsible for the color and supposedly a different texture.

In Lolmerica once, I had a a cake once that was like a carrot cake only with the carrots swapped for beetroot and the spices swapped for cocoa. I posted about it here recently and was told that it is a traditional American cake and that it's called "red velvet cake." It was very good. However, I doubt that using beetroot juice would alter the texture but using grated beetroot certainly did in the cake I had. It was delicious.

Also, many old cake recipes use a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to act as a balance for the bicarb/baking soda while later ones use baking powder, which combines bicarb and cream of tartar. I never buy baking powder and all my cakes use vinegar or lemon juice with bicarb as the leavening.
>>
>>7404461
Your sperg level must be over 9000.

There's plenty of foods named for their appearance and resemblance to other things.

Here's a lesson plan to get you sorted out:

mindlesseating.org/pdf/FBL_The_Name_Game.doc
>>
>>7404489

Thanks fampai, that looks like fun.
>>
>>7404411
I will now call chocolate cake black velvet cake.
>>
The cream cheese frosting is what makes it good, you could have any non colored cake and put the frosting to make it taste the same as RVC
>>
>>7404482

The use of baking soda plus an acid is about colour, not balance. The reaction between the acid and base will make anthocyanin pigments found in natual raw cocoa powder become redder.
>>
>>7404374
Real red velvet cake is different from chocolate cake because it's made with buttermilk, vinegar, and baking soda
It's also supposed to have a different frosting.
You thicken a milk and flour mixture to the consistency of cold cream cheese, then skip it with butter and sugar.
It's actually good, NEVER expect good red velvet from a regular store
I make it every Christmas for my senpai
>>
>>7404374
I remember the first time I ate red velvet cake as a kid 20+ years ago. That night I took a shit and wiped my ass, it was red like blood. I ran out of the bathroom screaming and crying for my dad and told him I'm pooping blood, he's a doctor. I dragged him into the bathroom to show him and he started laughing his balls off while tears was streaming down my face. I'm there bawling like a faggot while my dad just walked out the bathroom laughing and called mom. She came and when he told her what happened she started laughing to the point of tears as well. After about 5 minutes of hearing my parents laughing at my medical emergency my dad told me it was the food coloring in the cake I had earlier and that caused it. I'm perfectly fine. Then my mom told me all the cake I ate is going to kill me and I'm gonna shit blood till I die. I didn't know who to believe so I just cried for half a hour while my parents laughed. Good times.
>>
There's a Good Eats episode about Red Velvet cake. It was pretty entertaining.

I'm with you there, OP, Red Velvet cake sucks. Much rather have a cake with better flavor. Your friend is gullible and probably thinks that it's the best because someone told her it's the best.
>>
>>7404374
Proper red velvet cake is chocolate but it has a weird unique taste that can best be describe as an off chocolate due to the acidic ingredients employed. Maybe I would describe it as being inbetween chocolate, carrob, and red bean paste.
Shit tier red velvet cake is just chocolate cake with red food coloring.
>>
>>7404411
You guys realize that red velvet isn't just red chocolate cake, right? You can literally google "red velvet cake" and see how it's made.

God I hate flyovers.
>>
>>7405060
It's actually coastal fags that can't cook for shit :^)
>>
>>7404374
your friend is an uncultured douche, the red in red velvet cake isn't supposed to come from food coloring, it's supposed to come from beets, that's what the secret flavor is supposed to be nor red dye no.57
>>
>>7404669
Bicarb (a base) + acid = leavening. That's the balancing of the formula.
The fact that it can produce a vermillion tinge to the finished cake is secondary to the leavening it provides.
>>
well the adjective form of velvet is velvety and it's used to describe something soft and smooth (also smooth in the sense of mellow)

so I'm guessing velvet may refer to both the texture and flavor being perfectly "cakey".

why red specifically? i suppose because velvet things are traditionally red.
>>
>>7404374
>What is Red Velvet Cake supposed to taste like? Does it have a "flavor" that it can be described as?
The flavor is closest to german chocolate cake flavor, in my opinion. It's cocoa powder that does more than the fluffiness of ordinary buttermilk recipes from that whole acid/alkaline kind of reaction. Original cake had a beet component which would have indeed been a pretty rich flavor with the sweetness.

The real reason to adore red velvet cake is to adore cream cheese icing. A tad sour it counteracts the sweetness for balance, so a GOOD red velvet cake doesn't come across crazy sickly sick, just delicious. Rarely is that the case anymore, when it's all about a rich and as sweet as possible. A lot of recipes use a more shelf stable icing with more butterfat than cream cheese, or even shortening, yuck. A good really good, homemade cake is pretty divine.
>>
>>7404392
>They had radically different opinions of the wine despite there was no actual change to its taste.
no shit. People's taste are unique and wine tasting fuckers are just bullshitting anyway.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18380_the-6-most-statistically-full-shit-professions.html
>>
>>7404461
>red wine
>doesn't taste like red

>gingerbread man
>doesn't taste like a flesh and ginger sandwich

>grilled chicken
>just regular chicken that doesn't taste like metal

I'm fucking triggered
>>
>>7404392

That story gets more distorted every time it's told. A French student conducted a study as his dissertation. He had 54 wine study students sample a white wine and describe the wine. A week later he had them come back and describe a red wine which was really the same white wine dyed red.

The results were they tended to use descriptor words associated with white wine for it when it was white and words associated with red wine when it was red.

Did the color of the wine influence their description? Absolutely. Does that mean wine tasting is bullshit? Absolutely not.

Different wines can be distinguished by their characteristics by tasting or by chemical analysis. The same compounds that you would find in green peppers or cherries that give them their flavor are found in wine that have those descriptors.

We are very susceptible to visual cues or other prompting, many bottled juices or drinks are not really the flavor they proclaim on the label, instead they are usually a mixture of apple and pear juice, have sugar and citric acid added to change their balance and rely on color and opacity to determine how we interpret the flavor.
>>
Really? Cream cheese frosting? That's why you don't like it. It's red velvet cake (at least four layers) with from-scratch buttercream. Red velvet with cream cheese frosting is grocery store drivel.
>>
>>7404866
Fucking this 100%. We make red velvet from scratch every holiday, along with German chocolate cake (the icing of which you also do on the stove top). I can't stomach the stuff people buy from stores cause the icing is so shit.
>>
most modern cake mixes are velvets thanks in large part to red velvet cakes.

Devil's food cake, for instance, is a velvet cake. That's the norm now.

I made a German's chocolate cake recently and every one was flabbergasted at the texture and the flavor, and I'm all bitch, did you know don't need a box of mix to make a fucking cake?

likewise angelfood, poundcakes and other styles of cakes are basically endangered species

>>7404482
that's it right there
>>
>>7405780
A home made angel food cake with a mixture of lemon curd and whipped cream on it is fucking amazing. Homemade cakes in general are godly and sadly rare nowadays
>>
Cream cheese frosting is the reason to eat it, so if you're not super into that then just eat normal chocolate cake.
>>
>>7404374

>tastes like red velvet
>it's a unique flavor

Tell your friend he's an idiot, velvet is a fabric.
>>
File: red velvet.jpg (42 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
red velvet.jpg
42 KB, 640x360
>>7404374
it's a load of shit
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.