[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hawaii dining advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
So, a couple weeks from now I'll be in Honolulu. Been doing searches on places to eat and got a bit overwhelmed at all the similar choices so now I'm asking anon's advice.

For what it's worth:
>equally down for le hidden gems and crowded tourist traps as long as it's good
>not made of money but willing to splurge if it's worth it (if I'm paying over $50 for an entree it better be fucking amazing)
>not a picky eater at all
>I'm a bit of a weeb so japanese restaurant suggestions welcome (have been to japan so roughly know what certain dishes should be like) but again, open to almost anything (wouldn't turn my nose up at fusion etc.)
>Not big on sweets but I understand there's some kind of weird chinese/hawaiian sour candy that people rave about?
>>
forgot to add: what's a must have? Is there anything that you can ONLY get/get done right there?
>>
>Japanese places welcome
It was a long while ago when I was stationed there but for ramen I remember Gomaichi being popular.
>>
>>7404351
Spam musubi, loco moco, laulau saimin if you want noodles.
>>
>>7404329
poke...but non for you hoale....be prepared for lots of hassle from the locs
>>
I don't know Oahu very well, but you should totally do a full blown tourist luau; one with the complete works, fire dancing, and bottomless Mai Tai's.

Just remember that you get what you pay for.
>>
>>7404329

If you're staying on Waikiki then all these are walking distance:
Hawaiiana Cafe has pretty good poke.
Me's korean BBQ is great and really cheap.
The coffee place inside Moanna something hotel is good when they're not busy. The Hawaiian nut latte is good and they draw little gay leaves in the foam.
>>
Personally, I like Hawaiian pizza. I dunno what else lol
>>
>>7404329
Make sure Danno arranges your seating reservations
>>
>>7404601

Not ck:
Diamond head is cool, but Koko head is a good hike and the views from the top/ridge line are way better.

Everyone talks about Hanauma bay because it's actually pretty awesome, but the lines are usually long and they make you watch a stupid safety/preservation video. Worth it for the good snorkeling. Fish are decent and the angles you'll get on all that Asian snatch are phenom.

If you rent snorkeling shit for the bay, take it out to Waikiki and collect all the sunglasses drunk people lose in the waves.

Drinking on the beach is illegal, but there are hardly any cops and if you do it semi discreetly no one will bother you. Save a shit ton of money buying booze from ABC stores across the street rather than the crazy expensive beach bars.
>>
>>7404621

>abc stores

Damn, I forgot those existed.

I used to shoplift from them constantly and never got caught because I look haole as fuck and nobody expects a tourist to be stealing.
>>
>>7404566
How bad are we talking here?
>>
File: Malasadas from Leonard's.jpg (551 KB, 1440x957) Image search: [Google]
Malasadas from Leonard's.jpg
551 KB, 1440x957
>>7404329

Get yourself some malasadas (pic related, OC) from Leonard's. A box with an assortment of original, custard, and pineapple is a god-tier breakfast with a cup of Hawaiian coffee.

Me's Korean BBQ is cheap and has good portions.

Loco Moco Drive Inn is a chain that has massive portions usually, you can get all your Hawaiian classics (loco moco, Spam and eggs) served with two scoops of rice and mac salad of course.

The poke at Foodland and Times ranges from mediocre to good, but all of it fills a craving. I especially like the spicy mayo ahi, spicy mayo salmon, and shoyu marlin.

If you have a military ID, the commissary at Pearl Harbor has fantastic discounts on all Hawaiian foods (went gift shopping for macadamias to bring to the mainland there).
>>
File: Makapu'u Tidepools.jpg (790 KB, 1440x957) Image search: [Google]
Makapu'u Tidepools.jpg
790 KB, 1440x957
>>7404621

>Hanauma Bay
>actually pretty awesome

Hanauma Bay was one of the shittiest experiences on Oahu for me. Long ass line, that long ass safety video, and sunblock-frosted, cloudy water.

Makapu'u Tidepools (pic related, OC) is where it's at. Way less people, a short hike down that builds up your appetite for a greasy Hawaiian plate lunch, and you get to snorkel with parrotfish and butterflyfish in your own natural aquarium with huge waves crashing against the rocks and mist falling from the blowhole behind. Incredible.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.