[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Respected chef who yet he loves Instant Ramen, Shitty American
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Mind-of-a-Chef-2.png (562 KB, 859x686) Image search: [Google]
Mind-of-a-Chef-2.png
562 KB, 859x686
Respected chef who yet he loves
Instant Ramen,
Shitty American Beer,
Chicken Mcnuggets,
Gas Station packaged food.
>>
>this anon just discovered the concept of duality
>>
Surprise: most chefs who spend 80 hours a week cooking don't want to cook on their time off and eat easy pre-made shit most of the time.

My last chef had a great palate and came up with great dishes all the time, and then I went over to his house and there were stacks of delivery chain pizza boxes in the recycling and frozen chicken tenders stuffed in the fridge.

David Chang is literally using pleb food as part of his appeal as a celebrity chef, because it's quirky and hipster, and because he knows people don't relate to someone whose all highbrow business.
>>
File: 20160222_091740.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160222_091740.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Unless you get staff meal... u starve.
>>
>>7402732
Overconfident braggart who uses techniques that have been around for ages but likes to pretend he invented the whole concept.
>>
>>7402732
I wouldn't say hes respected. To be honest the biggest factor that got him where he is today is luck that the first ramen bar didn't crash and burn. He hasn't done much of anything that can be considered extraordinary outside of his capitalizing on the hipster market and shifting his career out of culinary and into showbiz.

On tv=/= well respected.
>>
i would like to see yfw you learn that the best chefs in the world eat scraps after work. food does not know your status
>>
>>7402765
>>7402774
Better than either of you shitwankers.
>>
>>7402780
What exactly constitutes him being better? The fact that he has lots of money now? Then yes I agree.
>>
>>7402774

He's obviously intelligent and knows how to cook, but yeah, there was more luck involved in his success than anything else.

He staged for a couple years at a high end restaurant and then opened his own place in downtown Manhattan, which is honestly very good for the price and location.

He seems to have gradually withdrawn from doing celebrity shit (he's not even on his own TV show anymore), yet somehow just keeps opening new locations and has apparently won Michelin stars, which is pretty insane considering his background.
>>
File: 1455421134836.jpg (82 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1455421134836.jpg
82 KB, 960x1280
>>7402784
Background? Wtf... snooty hipster wannabe! Poodle chefs are a relic of the past. Just recently Chefs in general have made it past being considered nothing more than a back-door servant.
>>
>>7402796

What's your point?
>>
>>7402796
I believe he means his lack of background. The guy decided to move into the culinary field in his mid twenties and was a successful chef by thirty. That feat alone is worth mentioning as most of they chefs you find these days have been doing it since they were in high school.

In an industry that measures most of a cooks worth in experience, the fact that a guy got to the top with very little says a lot about him.
>>
File: 20150606_125143.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150606_125143.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Yeah it is always easier to be one of the "guys" in the kitchen. Never assume anything. Being an Executive Chef is about being a refined business person...if you can cook, effectively communicate your vision to line level employees it is a bonus. Also not ever being so arrogant that you feel like you can't learn something from even the lowest employee on the food chain.
>>
i love just experimenting in the kitchen,,a,nd finding new things, but when it comes to eating I'll have a microwaved spicy tyson cicken patty on a wonderbun slathered in mayo with a great value pickle slice. everyone has their thing
>>
>>7402732
budweiser and coors beat the shit out of any eurotrash beer
>>
My best friend is a cook in a Michelin Star restaurant, he still eats McDonalds and chows down on dive bar food.

High-end food is an art of course, but food is still something you just need to exist though. McDonalds still makes a damn tasty Sausage McMuffin for dirt cheap.
>>
>>7402732
Just because your an amazing cook doesn't mean you never want to go back to basics. the Simplest food can be the most satisfying.
>>
>>7402765
>>7402774

every fucking time there's a young and successful practitioner of any art/craft you get faggots like this making nebulous claims about how his cooking isn't innovative ENOUGH or he claims to be more inventive and proficient than he actually IS

despite the fact that no one actually ever claims that they themselves are inventive and proficient. this is the same shit that makes younger politicians have to answer questions on whether they lack experience every fucking time they make a public appearance.
>>
He seems to share my philosophy.

If you enjoy something then who the fuck cares? You're life doesn't have to be filled with filet mignon and edible fucking gold.
>>
>>7403186
no they don't you dumb fucking faggot
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.