[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Becoming a successful waiter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Waiter.jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
Waiter.jpg
8 KB, 275x183
Dear /ck/

I am a kitchen manager at an oriental buffet.
I cook 5 days a week, wait tables only bout 12 hours a week.

I am interested in becoming a waiter.
What sums up a successful waiter.
How can I secure a great position without sacrificing the money I currently make.
>>
>>7401862
Be white, male, decent looking, and work at an upscale steakhouse. I'm not making any social commentary. It's just true.
>>
>>7401862
Know the menu well enough to answer questions about all the dishes and make recommendations.
Always know the daily specials.
Be polite, smile.
Pay attention to your tables.
Don't fuck up the orders.
Bring out drinks in a timely fashion, make sure to provide refills when drinks get low.
Bring out food when it's ready so it isn't sitting around getting cold in the kitchen.
Bring the check in a timely fashion.
>>
File: image.png (236 KB, 428x438) Image search: [Google]
image.png
236 KB, 428x438
>>7401862
>kitchen manager
>manager
>wants to be waiter
>waiter
>how can I secure a great position without sacrificing the money I currently make?

This is bait, yes?
>>
>>7401997
A guy I know was a waiter at a fancy-pants fine eating joint.
He was promoted to a management position.
Income was worse because lack of tips, but he now had health insurance.
He decided to go for a voluntary demotion back to waiter to collect better pay.
>I never get sick!!
Luckily, he didn't get sick and was able to save a good deal of money and bought a nice house then started a business.
He does well for himself.

So that's one person whose sitch showed that waitstaff earns more than management.
>>
>>7401997
>>7402240
OP here, this is to what I was referring.
I work 50 hour weeks, and collect overtime and make more per hour than the waiters.
However after a busy shift or two, they take home the same per week without working crazy hours.
The only downside for them is the inconsistent pay.
I am trying to calculate the risk of not paying my bills due to lack of tips.
>>
OP this is a classic restaurant conundrum.

Waitstaff will always make more than kitchen per hour, even more than the chef. Always.

Kitchen staff are irreplaceable, their schedules stay intact. Waitstaff are a dime dozen.

The only thing that matters is what makes you happy. If you are happy in the kitchen (money aside) you will not be happy in the dining room, and vice versa.

Choose wisely.
>>
>>7401890
If you can entertain children parents often will double your tip. friend of mine kept up with current kids' movies and developed some funny cartoon voices. the family would come back and the kids would ask for that waiter again. Bored kids are hard on parents enjoying a nice restaurant.
>>
>>7402918
This. Waiters seem to complain about their pay a lot but if you're good at your job and the place is busy odds are you're making more than anyone else there except owners.

Hell I'm a sous chef and on a busy day I might work 18 hours but wait staff for dinner service can make twice as much as I do- most of it tax free- in 8 hours.
>>
My friend worked at a high end restaurant as a server in San Francisco and he'd make about $300 a night in tips
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.