[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>no marbling >expensive af I don't understand this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6
File: Filet Mignon.jpg (176 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Filet Mignon.jpg
176 KB, 960x960
>no marbling
>expensive af

I don't understand this meme. I'd rather eat a NY strip any day of the week. Do people honestly thing it tastes better?
>>
Filet mignon is known for being very tender rather than being particularly flavorful.
>>
You forgot
>raw
>>
File: master race.jpg (162 KB, 1050x675) Image search: [Google]
master race.jpg
162 KB, 1050x675
>>7400673
Ribeye master race reporting in.
>>
>>7400773
second'd
>>
>>7400773
this is definitely the one to get if you are craving a steak. done right it'll melt just as well as a filet done by most places.
>>
File: porterhouse.jpg (144 KB, 500x487) Image search: [Google]
porterhouse.jpg
144 KB, 500x487
porterhouse cooked over charcoal
>>
>>7400673
Yeah I prefer filet because of >>7400749
the tenderness is nearly unmatched.
>>
Hanger steak is the best.

There may be more tender cuts, but nothing screams "BEEF" when you put it in your mouth like hanger.
>>
File: Eye-Of-Round-Roast_6086.jpg (47 KB, 230x271) Image search: [Google]
Eye-Of-Round-Roast_6086.jpg
47 KB, 230x271
woman in front of me at the butcher tried to order eye of round roast "cut into steaks" yesterday

dude wouldn't do it XD
>>
Remember when flank and skirt were cheap as dirt and now they're super trendy and expensive
>>
>>7400970
flank steak hasn't been cheap since the London Broil became a thing
>>
>>7400952
>>rib eye
>>cheapest
you are retarded. strip steak is the cheapest
>>
>>7400987
it's still pretty cheap by beef standards though. I can get it on sale at my supermarket rn for 3.99/lb
>>
>>7401035
can i come live with you?
>>
>>7400673
>marbling
You realize that just means a shit load more fat?

Those waygu beef pics are disgusting, it's litteraly 90% fat; fucking terrible.
>>
>>7401039
yeah bud. but I shit in the shower and mash it down the drain with my feet.
>>
>>7401051
Shiggity wew lad almost fell for the b8 m8
>>
File: 1406490721263.jpg (44 KB, 403x480) Image search: [Google]
1406490721263.jpg
44 KB, 403x480
>>7401063
>2016
>not peeing in the sink
>not shitting in the shower
>not washing your hands in the toilet
>not drinking from the bidet

savages desu
>>
>>7400938
You sound like hank hill
>>
>>7400773
rib is for shit casuals who would rather chew on a buttery piece of fat than an actual steak
>>
>>7400673
>mfw Super store sells these giant hunks of steak for about 12 bucks
>ranges from the size of two steaks to two steaks and a half
>lots of fat and bones but a few minutes with a knife takes care of that
>massage it with salt and pepper
>pan fry in butter
>eat it with my bare hands because I have grown intimately attached to this piece of meat and I want our last moments together to be as close as possible

And then I slice up the left overs and put them in taco's, its pretty great
>>
>>7400963
Why? I have to wonder... I can get eye of round steaks where I live no problem, if I want them. And having worked as a meatcutter for a while, I can say it's not hard to do either.
>>
>>7402870

You talking about the bigass blade steaks? Those things are great.
>>
>>7400749
>>7400934
My butcher says filet is about texture more than taste. If you want taste get a rib eye. If you want amazingly tender texture go for the filet.
>>
>>7400673
If you want flavor and texture, it's all about tri-tip

It really needs roasted, but it's hard to beat.
>>
>not triple aged 1000-steed korean nuclear grade waygu
>>
Never ate steaks. How does marbling affect taste?
>>
>>7403382
Marbling is fat. fat makes food taste better.
>>
>>7403384
succinct, to the point, and well said.
can i subscribe to your newsletter, anon?
>>
>>7403443
It's really more of a tweet. If you can't explain a subject in 140 characters, you don't really understand it.
>>
>>7400673
I'm with you. NY Strip always and forever. When cost is considered, I have almost no interest in buying another cut.
>>
>>7403452
String theory in 140 chars?
>>
>>7400929
How do you cook the loin correctly without overcooking the fillet?
>>
>>7403458
string theory uses 1 dimensional particles to explain quantum gravity. It is unproven at this time.
>>
>>7403464
1 dimensional particles?
>>
>>7403462

both can be cooked medium rare without much difficulty
>>
>>7401051
Fat = Flavor
>>
>>7403468
A 1 dimensional particle is a theoretical point like particle particle possessing mass and charge.
>>
>>7400749
Who even gives a shit when you can just cook it sous vide?
>>
>>7403470
But tenderloin by its very nature cooks faster.

I've had lots and lots of porterhouse and t-bone in my life. I've yet to have one where I didn't think the tenderloin was overcooked. Still good, but I want to find a magic way to cook both sides perfectly.
>>
>>7403476
Oops, I added 9 unneeded characters.
>>
>>7403476
So what's the difference from particle?
>>
>>7403492

It's a classification of particle. "Particle" is a very generic term. A photon, Quark or Electron is also a "Particle"

Summarizing is a skill. Of course if you want deeper understanding, I would suggest research.
>>
>>7403481

>But tenderloin by its very nature cooks faster.

what nature?

anyway try sous vide or a low temp oven, searing at the end.
>>
>>7403498
You're good. Do you think 140 chars is an adequate limit though?
>>
>>7400767
Except its not.
>>
>>7400952
In what universe is rib eye the cheapest cut?
>>
>>7403505
I don't, and they are extending it soon.

But the concept stands. Anyone that needs more than a few sentences to explain a concept to a layman, doesn't really understand the material. You should be able to expound if questions are asked, of course. But unless you are speaking to someone that already understands the core concepts, it will go right over their heads.
>>
>>7403510
seems that ribeye's price trajectory will send it up near (or perhaps above?!) tenderloin levels if it keeps at this pace. years ago it was cheaper than strip, but it's become the 'trendy' cut as of late, so demand is increasing.

>>7403556
no, don't confuse brevity for insight. twitter's 140 character limit makes it completely useless for any sort of depth, subtlety, or nuance. which means it's just the equivalent of an air-horn when it comes to topics that need said qualities (e.g. politics).
>>
>>7403462
i like my meat pretty rare
just cook over charcoal and just keep the filet on the cooler part of the grill
>>
>>7400773
This is one of my favorite cuts, although well marbled strips can be just as satisfying. I don't buy filet, and it can't go by itsself. I had a surf n terf dish that was a filet with a whole deep fried blue crab wit a balsamic reduction. It was excellent.
>>
>>7403015
there's almost no fat on it.. it might be ok if it's mechanically tenderized but i don't buy meat from such places

it's really only suited for roasting
>>
>>7403579
Twitter is not meant to be your blog. It's meant for updates about current events. Expecting depth on twitter is like expecting a day without a /ck/ thread about well done steak and ketchup.

For politics, it could be fine to summarize a politicians views on a topic, and is often used for just that. If you want depth, hope for a link to an external site. If the candidate can't summarize his stance in 140 characters, he probably doesn't have a firm stance.

My statements about being able to summarize in a few sentences are just that. You should be able to provide a summary. Depth, Nuance, etc., are not summary, they are conversation.
>>
>>7403579
>twitter's 140 character limit makes it completely useless for any sort of depth, subtlety, or nuance
"Make America great again". Less than 140 chars but full of depth, subtlety and nuance.
>>
>>7403599
>If the candidate can't summarize his stance in 140 characters, he probably doesn't have a firm stance.
and that's the problem with politics today.
>are you for or against _issuex_? pro-or anti-? yes or no?
well i don't think my views are that binary...
>what a waffler! this guy can't make a decision, is trying to pander to both sides, yada yadda yaddda...

>>7403618
topkek
>>
>>7403556

explaining things like advanced scientific concepts or reactionary art movements or whatever will always be a convoluted process
>>
>>7403632
Yet you should be able to provide a brief summary in a sentence or two at the top of your thesis.

This is required by pretty much every Journal in existence. You will provide details of your findings and methods later in the paper, but you need to be able to provide a brief summary of the core concept.
>>
>>7403650
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/135422/20160222/researchers-demonstrate-quantum-surrealism-heres-what-it-is-in-english.htm

so how would you explain this to a layperson in 140 characters?
an explanation that brief requires either highly dense, technical verbiage or simplifying something down to the point that it no longer conveys any real information.
>>
>>7400938
underrated post
>>
>>7400963
>XD
>>
>>7403650

yes, but these summaries are usually not particularly accessible to the 'layperson' as you put it.
>>
>>7403693
>>7403670

I can't believe we are still arguing over a bit of hyperbole.

Ok, I concede. There are concepts that might take more than 140 characters. Whatever.

I still argue that if you can't summarize a concept concisely you do not understand it.
>>
>>7403723

>I still argue that if you can't summarize a concept concisely you do not understand it.

of course, but concision is proportional to the complexity and familiarity of the subject matter, that's all i was saying.

and i mean, you can understand a subject intuitively to the point where you are functionally capable of applying it without describing it, but of course that is only a subset of an ideal set of capabilities.
>>
>>7403579
>if it keeps at this pace
What? It's still hovering around $7/lb at Sam's club around my neck of the woods. Food lion it's $12/lb, but I don't purchase steaks from there unless they get close to or below Sam's.
>>
>>7403723
>I can't believe we are still arguing over a bit of hyperbole.
humans will argue about anything, especially on 4chan

(btw how is the above^^ for a 140-character or less description of the phenomenon which you apparently can't believe?)
>>
None of you have ever made a roasted 3# tenderloin with a red wine / mushroom reduction for christmas?

Cooked until warm and pink inside, then ladled with sauce and a heaping pile of dirty mashed potatoes on the side - yum.
>>
>>7403811
> humans will argue about anything, especially on 4chan
No we won't.
>>
>>7404299
Dubs of truth.

I have to agree.
>>
>>7400673

My local tesco often sells beautifully marbled fillet.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.