[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Due to the other thread about milk, i did some quick googlin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
File: HEPJan2015.jpg (417 KB, 1838x1450) Image search: [Google]
HEPJan2015.jpg
417 KB, 1838x1450
Due to the other thread about milk, i did some quick googling.

The USDA “Food Pyramid” charts most of us knew (1992-2011) has recently been replaced with “My Plate”, with the intent of assisting parents in what their child’s meals should look like. It was generally well received as being far easier to read.

In response, Harvard released their own plate chart called “The Harvard Healthy Eating Plate”, since they believe most, if not all, the USDA charts “mixes science with the influence of powerful agricultural interests”

thoughts?

RE:
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyPlate
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
>>
Shit. Grains are for poor people.
>>
File: 1451918741224[1].jpg (42 KB, 800x700) Image search: [Google]
1451918741224[1].jpg
42 KB, 800x700
>>7400479
Fuck them, what's wrong with potatoes?
>>
>>7400499
High glycemic index and, compared to true vegetables, somewhat poor micronutrient content per calorie. However, reheated potatoes are a good source of resistant starch which acts as a prebiotic and does not occur in non-starchy vegetables and fruits.
>>
>>7400523
Resistant starch is pretty amazing. Also good for pasta and even white bread.
>>
>>7400479
the "drink coffee, tea" part seems like it'll get some dumb people misled, since for a lot of unhealthy people (who would benefit most from this) consider "coffee, tea" as "load this fucker full of sugar/cream/milk/sweetener/empty calories".

for some reason I never understood potatoes to be vegetables. ever since i was a kid i considered them on the same level as grains, so never had a problem with overeating them.
>>
Is there any way to actually prove the USDA guides could be influenced by agricultural companies?
>>
>>7400499
everything

potatoes are trash
>>
>>7400575
It's a pretty straightforward search to see who is on the USDA board and who has lobbied for them and for how much money
>>
>>7400499
Those are sweet potatoes rather than white potatoes which is an important differentiation. I'd guess their problem with potatoes is that they're very starchy and bereft of nutrition but more importantly people who would benefit most from the image would be the type of people already eating fries/crisps/etc or more likely to consider those vegetables.

>>7400543
It specifically negates that in the same section.

>>7400479
>thoughts?
Looks sensible, reasonable and well laid out for people too dumb to realize it makes sense without the image.

I'd probably argue the veg section should be larger and the overlap between protein, carb and veg should be more apparent (most of your protein and carb in an ideal world should come from veg unless you're bodybuilding) but otherwise it's obviously far more sensible than the governments' and pretty damn good overall.
>>
>drink tea or coffee
>fucking up your brain with caffeine
>ruining your sleeping pattern

Drink water and maybe sometimes you can have caffeinated drinks, but definitely not regularly
>>
>>7400628
>fucking up your brain with caffeine
Caffeine stimulates the brain

>ruining your sleeping pattern
Stop drinking caffeine at times where it will conflict with your sleeping patterns

Don't be a dumdum
>>
>>7400714
>stimulate = good

Your brain is designed to work a certain way, that's why we have the blood brain barrier

>Stop drinking caffeine at times where it will conflict with your sleeping patterns

Caffeine is in your system the entire day
>>
>>7400746
>Your brain is designed to work a certain way, that's why we have the blood brain barrier
>Most clinical medicines and neuropathy treatments aren't helping people, they're wrongly fucking with the way that persons brain is meant to work

I'll take broken logic for $1000

>Caffeine is in your system the entire day
It has a half-life of around 6 hours, typically far less depending on your diet. Stop shitposting.
>>
>>7400772
That's fine for people with problems, but a normal healthy person doesn't need to be fucking around with their brain chemistry

>It has a half-life of around 6 hours, typically far less depending on your diet. Stop shitposting.

Yeah, a half-life. But it's still there the whole day and WILL fuck with your sleep quality
>>
>>7400794
>That's fine for people with problems,
So it's fine for people you've decided have problems but not the other people that have problems?
>but a normal healthy person doesn't need to be fucking around with their brain chemistry
Then stop taking vitamins, choline, anything sweet, and form of protein and most refined carbs while you're at it.

Your logic is batshit nonsense.

>Yeah, a half-life. But it's still there the whole day and WILL fuck with your sleep quality
You can repeat it as many times as you like, it wont make it any less false.
>>
>>7400826
>Then stop taking vitamins, choline, anything sweet, and form of protein and most refined carbs while you're at it.

>things your body requires is the same as taking a drug

Then why not get high on cocaine you retard?

Caffeine affects REM sleep, which is the most important part of your sleep.
>>
>>7400826
pro-tip: if you wake up feeling like shit and "needing" caffeine your sleep is being affected

You wouldn't take a pain killer for an open wound and go on with your day, so why cover up the effects of a bad night's sleep? Cause that's all caffeine does, it makes you think you're not tired even if you are.
>>
>>7400844
>>7400873
I've had good sleep for as long as I've been drinking caffeine, and I rarely drink it any more. I just wanted to illustrate how ludicrous what he's suggesting is. I drink one cup per day, if that, when I wake up in the morning, and I'm one source of anecdotal evidence but studies have shown what I'm evidence of: caffeine has a half-life of less than 6 hours and doesn't affect sleep unless you're an idiot.

It's demonstrable, proven and just plain common sense. I'm not sure what else would convince you so I'll leave it at that and assume you're just shitposting.
>>
>>7400584
But Watney survived on potatoes for more than 400 sols.
>>
>>7400479
>claims not to be influenced by powerful agricultural interests
>all those grains
>>
>>7400575
The panel of experts informing the USDA suggested including a recommendation that consumers emphasize plants as sources of protein. Their decision to ignore that advice was basically 100% beef industry lobbying.
>>
File: beef and potatoes.jpg (197 KB, 1111x763) Image search: [Google]
beef and potatoes.jpg
197 KB, 1111x763
>>7400479
>In response, Harvard released their own plate chart called “The Harvard Healthy Eating Plate”, since they believe most, if not all, the USDA charts “mixes science with the influence of powerful agricultural interests”

There is nothing wrong with beef and pork, nor potatoes.
>>
>>7402160
Not in moderation, no. They don't say to outright avoid any of them, just to limit the meats and to not count potatoes toward daily veggie servings.
>>
>>7400479
Just eat whole wheat spaghetti with lots of tomato sauce, add some sliced up chicken breast (or add chick peas to your sauce) and you have a perfect meal. Berries for desert.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 500x545) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 500x545
>> avoid bacon
>>
File: Murrica fuk yeah.jpg (100 KB, 348x500) Image search: [Google]
Murrica fuk yeah.jpg
100 KB, 348x500
>>7402280

I just checked my blood sugar for the 1st time in my life the other day with a buddy's tester gadget and it was 109.

He's a healthy living kinda guy, hip to the latest bullshit... I mean, health tips and who doesn't eat sugar or gluten and his was 138...
>>
File: evolution-to-fat.jpg (18 KB, 500x231) Image search: [Google]
evolution-to-fat.jpg
18 KB, 500x231
>>7402331
>>
>>7402365
Huh, apparently Americans use different units for blood glucose than the rest of the world.
>>
>>7402383
>Huh, apparently Americans use different units for blood glucose than the rest of the world.

It's a gadget similar to this;
>>
>>7402400
Units, as in Americans use milligrammes per decilitre, while the rest of the world uses millimoles per litre.
>>
File: 35.2390702 liters of apples.jpg (50 KB, 400x394) Image search: [Google]
35.2390702 liters of apples.jpg
50 KB, 400x394
>>7402406
> milligrammes
> decilitre
> millimoles
> litre.
> using wholly arbitrary measurements that have no relation to the users.
>>
>>7402420
What unit would you rather use for blood glucose concentration?
>>
>>7402422
pebbles
>>
>>7400479
Seems reasonable actually.

>>7400601
>protein from veg
Maybe, but I like meat way too much to subscribe to that kinda thinking, and lean meats are pretty damn good for you.
>>
>>7400479
I don't want to be the /pol/
>"Jews do everything"
Dick but why trust Harvard to not be just as manipulated and bias as the Fed?
>>
>>7402422

parts per thimble
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.