[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kitchen knives do you use /ck/? Do you hone your knives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: cuisinart.jpg (10 KB, 500x239) Image search: [Google]
cuisinart.jpg
10 KB, 500x239
What kitchen knives do you use /ck/?
Do you hone your knives with a steel/ceramic rod?
Do you actually sharpen your knives? How?

I just use this. I also use a buck diamond sharpening rod that I got on sale for 15 bucks.
>>
I've got a 10" mundial. Cheaper than most current top of the line knives but works the same, also has a straight blade which I prefer to the modern curved one

I sharpen with three stones; 400, 2000, and 6000 grit respectively and my knives are pretty sharp. Don't have a honing rod but am unsure if i need one as my edges are sharp and hold up for quite a while
>>
File: workin' the line.jpg (1024 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
workin' the line.jpg
1024 KB, 2048x1536
Still using my G2 almost every day.

Work supplies restaurant supply tier knives that I don't really like and which still occasionally give me new blisters, but they get sent out every week to get sharpened, so they're alright.
>>
>>7399976
How can you get a good slicing edge with such a high grit? I usually sharpen with a 1000 and a 3000 stone, and I have the feeling that it is harder to slice when I use the 3000 grit
>>
>>7399966
I use a 10 inch Victorinox Fibrox. Cheap little work horse that just gets shit done.
>>
I use a 10" Greban chef knife that I got at a restaurant supply store. Use it everyday and it holds up well enough.
>>
>>7400384
The only answer I can give you is that you must be sharpening at the wrong angle. It's a lot harder to tell at the higher grits because the telltale noise changes on lower grits when you're getting the edge smooth aren't there. You have to be precise.

That being said, I can get my knives 'soft tomato ready' by ending at 2k grit, so I think what people decide to do after that (stropping, rod, high grit polish, etc) are up to them or even unnecessarry
>>
File: knives2[1].png (234 KB, 576x362) Image search: [Google]
knives2[1].png
234 KB, 576x362
cuz...
>>
>>7399999
I bought one of them this afternoon. Got it around 50% off
>>
>>7402834

For how much? And how do you like it?

Hopefully you tried it out first, because people seem to either love or hate how it feels. I have pretty large hands, but really like the small handle, whereas many people complain about it.
>>
>>7402847
Got it online. 89aud. I have a bad habit of impulse buying but I did read reviews and I have medium sized hands so hopefully it goes alright. The missus will probably use it more then me if she finds it comfortable
>>
>>7399966
victorinox all the way brother
>>
>>7402895

>89aud

That's a pretty good price.
>>
File: en garde.png (138 KB, 580x355) Image search: [Google]
en garde.png
138 KB, 580x355
>>7399966
>sharpening rod

Those are absolutely fine. Most people simply lack confidence and don't want to learn how to use them.
>>
>>7402913

>absolutely fine

More like absolutely essential.

If you have a decent knife and aren't regularly using a steel you might as well have bought a $10 Ikea knife.
>>
>>7402915
I meant in a sense that you don't need some overly expensive stone when a rod will do just fine.
>>
>>7402919

You still need to get your knife sharpened every now and then; once a year is fine for most home cooks.

It's just incredibly annoying that 90% of people seem to buy giant knife block sets, but don't know what the steel is for, so they always start with the chef's knife and then work their way down when it loses it's factory edge until they're cutting shit with steak knives.

That's literally the explanation for the Italian pasta sauce lady who can't cut an onion worth a shit; it's just pure ignorance, and should be fucking embarrassing due to how simply basic knife maintenance is.

If you're not a pro, take your knife to the sharpener once a year, hone it regularly, and don't do stupid shit like throwing it in the dishwasher or using it without a proper cutting board (or leaving it out for dumb-shit housemates/family to fuck it up).
>>
>>7402919

i'm sure this is basit, but if not, you do realized that honing a knife and sharpening a knife are two different things, right?

you hone a knife with a steel, but you will need a sharpening stone to put an edge on it
>>
>>7402960
>honing
>sharpening

you're already talking about shit 90% of cooks don't differentiate between, if they even bother sharpening their knives at all
>>
>>7402962

>honing vs sharpening
>90% of cooks don't differentiate between

That's complete bullshit.
>>
>>7402949
Even worse are those whole sets where everything from chefs knife to cleaver is serrated.
>>
>>7404386
Ugh, I hate that shit. The only acceptable serrated knife is a bread knife.
>>
>>7402960
>realized that honing a knife and sharpening a knife are two different things, right?

Why do knifefags say this? It seems obvious that one is a subset of the other. In other words the process of honing results in a sharper blade so why would you not consider that sharpening?
>>
>>7404413
No. My sharp $30 chefs knife cuts through bread better than my $20 serrated bread knife. Bread knives always make a huge mess with all the bread guts being ripped out
>>
>>7404422
Sharpening removes metal from the blade, forming a new edge. Honing just straightens the edge.
>>
>>7404424

Are you cutting Wonder bread?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.