[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I tried to fry rice in oil and it went everywhere, some of them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: fried rice.jpg (287 KB, 1180x787) Image search: [Google]
fried rice.jpg
287 KB, 1180x787
I tried to fry rice in oil and it went everywhere, some of them jumped out too. I suppose there was too much water on the rice? How do I fry rice without explosions?
>>
Too much oil
>>
rice was getting too dry, or the moisture was steaming way too fast, ie popcorn
>>
I did that the first time too. It was great, kitchen looked like a warzone.

Any condensation on the rice will do it, so if you're storing leftover rice put some kitchen paper in there to absorb the moisture.

Of course, there'll always be a little, and if your oil is too hot then even a little moisture will cause the explosions.
>>
>>7399936
The oil was a little less than the thickness of a piece of rice. Is that too much?

>>7399939
The rice seemed pretty moist though, not sure what you mean with too dry.

>>7399946
Yeah I just cleaned this mess up... The rice was leftover stored in the fridge with cling wrap. There was plenty of condensation I guess. Should I dry the rice first?
Also shouldn't the oil be hot enough to a least get the sizzling when the rice goes in?
>>
>>7399931
just use a lid and leave it a tiny bit open or a splash guard
>>
>>7400038
That's too much oil. You're not trying to deep fry it, for fucks sakes.
>>
>>7400093
This.
Should not need more than a Tbsp for each 2 cups of rice at MOST. The oil isn't really what browns the rice, it's the seared on soy or toasted sesame oil (if using). The oil is to barely prevent sticking, and really, if you don't have a seasoned wok or cast iron, you should be using a nonstick. Using too much oil makes lousy greasy fried rice.
>>
>>7400093
>>7400100
OK thanks, I will try with less oil next time. I did use a nonstick pan. Do I even need to use any oil at all or will I get better results in a nonstick with no oil?
>>
>>7400239
If you're not using oil then you're not frying.

Also, refrigerate the rice for at least two hours.
>>
>white people making rice and sticking it in the fridge for the express purpose of making fried rice
>white people trying to act like human beings in any way, shape, or form
You smell bad and ruin food, please stop
>>
>>7400259
Japanese people do it, too, Nguyen.
Not everyone has a week-old cauldron full of leftover rice because they're too poor to cook anything else.
>>
>>7400251
I did use refrigerated rice on my first attempt, is there any particular reason for the rice to be refrigerated? You mean one should not use freshly cooked rice?
>>
>>7400285
Fresh rice will turn out soggy and mush together into a thick porridge.
Leftover or refrigerated rice is drier and fries better.
>>
>>7400292
My refrigerated rice isn't dry at all
>>
>>7400295
Then you're doing something horribly wrong.
>>
>>7400239
>OK thanks, I will try with less oil next time. I did use a nonstick pan. Do I even need to use any oil at all or will I get better results in a nonstick with no oil?
Complicated answer for every kind of pan and situation, because a seasoned cast iron mimics a wok, you will be high heat frying and tossing it like a mad-rushed asian chef.
But for nonstick: yes, try no oil. You will use a touch of oil on your veggies, of course and that's all you need to brown them/cook them as you like. No need to add additional in a nonstick once they are done. Push them to one side (or set aside). Take your cold rice, and with your ladle press into a nice even layer in the pan, drizzle over your low sodium soy (can use more of it because it's less salty). Leave it alone, don't play with it because your starches need to get dried and browned or they will stick and just steam further and be gummy. Let it brown on the bottom, then using your spatula, section that into 4 quadrants and gently flip each like a pancake. Your call to add more soy to brown, if it needs it. Again, wait a few moments. Once you have nice lovely browning on both sides, break up your chunks and incorporate the veggies til dispersed evenly. And, depending on your patience, rebrown, or add more soy til it's perfectly luscious to your tastes. I might add fresh ginger to my soy, or garlic, or fold in a little cilantro or minced red chili at the end, or my reserved scallions. If I want to add an egg, I usually pool it to the side while I do my second browning flip, then break it up. (Some people cook it first and wipe out of the pan). Be careful with egg, it can cause you to lose all your good texture, if it's not fully cooked before you fold it in. It's not bad, it's just like a rice omelet.

My fried rice is usually a bit of planned leftovers. Anything goes for herbs/spices to be peruvian, mexican, japanese, korean, hot, mild: just leftover plus fresh onion & egg. or curry mayo on top.
>>
>>7400292
no it will not. baited into replying but i refuse to reply to the people that shout 'fridge' in fried rice threads. rice can go straight from a steamer to a pan and you will end up with a deliciously fried and soft fried rice

saged
>>
>>7400295
Try to store it in a long/wide shallow container so that it spreads out in a thin layer and exposes more of the grains to the cold arid atmosphere of your refrigerator.
>>
>>7399931
Here's a basic guide.

>cook rice (boil)
>store rice in fridge overnight
>cover pan/wok in a small bit of oil, heat well
>saute veggies/meat
>drop in rice
>stir until rice is heated through, can add a little but oil during this stage for flavor

There you go, add spices/soy sauce whenever you feel best, enjoy perfect rice.
>>
>>7399931
You gotta test out the water by tossing in some ice cubes to see if it'll evaporate the water fast enough in the rice.
>>
>>7399931
I use 1tbsp of oil for ~1 cup of cooked rice, which is more than what's actually necessary
>>
>>7400620
kek'd
>>
>>7400381
Good for you liking "soft fried rice." Keep doing what you're doing since you like it, but cold rice does work better.
>>
>>7400681
hate to break it to you, but fried rice has been around since before fridges. knowing many different processes of frying rice and coming to my conclusion as opposed to yours, i guess i just know more
>>
>>7400729
Not him but the point is to dry out the rice. You could put it on a pan and leave it outside if you wanted to.
>>
>>7399931
Tried a search, didn't see it. DAY OLD RICE.
>>
fried plenty of rice that was fresh of the rice cooker.

trick is not to make rice with too much water when making rice in the first place.

also use long grain rice if possible.

fry at low heat then gradually increase heat as you progress.

my go to fried rice is made by frying an egg or two first scrambling them in the pan.

then adding the rice. salt, pepper, garlic powder. (you can fry up some diced garlic before putting in rice.)

a bit of soy sauce for color.

you can add some chopped up spam or any other luncheon meat you want during or after frying the eggs.
>>
I make my fried rice like this.

Maybe a tablespoon of peanut oil for 2 cups long grain rice.
Napa cabbage
Onion
Eggs
Leftover meat if I have it
Oyster sauce
Fish sauce(very important ingredient I feel)
A good maybe quarter cup of soysauce
Ground ginger
Salt and pepper
Red pepper flakes or sweet chili sauce sometimes if I feel like it
Couple tablespoons of sugar
Sesame oil

Tastes just like takeout
>>
>>7403766
Oh shoot and frozen vegetables mix of carrot + peas
>>
>>7400593
This is my system and it's always worked great.

Additionally, you can move the food to one side of the pan, pour some beaten egg mix into the space and then scramble the egg there before mixing it with the rest for egg fried rice. Obviously you do this right at the end because scrambled egg only takes a minute.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.