[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought a nice steel pan recently. Got sick of my nonstick coated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11
I bought a nice steel pan recently.
Got sick of my nonstick coated one.
It's a very nice pan but I can't turn the heat higher than 4/9 or it will end up in a hellfire.
Is it really just meant for searing or do I need to get used to it first.
>>
The only thing preventing you from putting carbon steel in a fucking pizza oven is that little silicon thing at the end of the handle.

Also, what the fuck is 4/9?
>>
>>7399910
Max heat setting on my electric stove is "9"

Also, I don't know what you are trying to tell me in the rest of your sentence.
>>
nah there nothing to get used to. stainless steel is for burning and boiling
>>
>>7399910
Not op but it sounds like op's stove has a dial which is either marked as 0-9 or is, in op's head, delineated as such.

In this case therefore a 4/9 would indicate that it's about 4 9ths of the way to maximum heat. For you eurolards who can't think outside of a decimal system, it translates to about 44% of maximum heat.

If you need any more guidance on normal everyday common sense inferences that functional human beings are expected to be capable of, I'm here to help.
>>
>>7399924
how did people cook before the invention and use of PTFE in cooking utensils
>>
>>7399906
Different pans for different things:
>teflon for omelettes
>cast iron for oven work
>crabbon for searing
>stainless-lined aluminum for sauteeing
>tin-lined copper for candy, sauce making, and fish poaching
Honestly, and this is more aimed at /ck/ neckbeards who use cast iron pans to boil pasta: if you don't have all of the above pans, and appreciate their individual strengths and weaknesses, you don't know SHIT about food and cooking and should just go to MacDonalds
>>
>>7399930
the amount of people on /ck seemingly ignorant of the benefits of a well seasoned skillet is staggering
>>
stainless steel =/= cast iron

probably aluminium. wash before use.
>>
>>7399935
Spotted the neckbeard with an extremely limited repertoire of technique and ingredients
>>
>>7399937
it's cast iron
>>
>>7399938
damage control overload

>if you arent using stainless steel you must be using non-stick

manlet without skillet confirmed. dont worry your barbies first cooking set will work for whatever shite you prepare
>>
>>7399945
>this is what cast iron neckbeards ACTUALLY believe
I'm >>7399933

Your cooking sucks.

Sorry you hate food, neckbeard.
>>
>>7399947
then why are you interjecting. im responding to the person that assumed non-stick was the only other option

and lol at cast iron for oven work. calls my technique limited
>>
lmao what an autistic board

i'll leave this thread open for yall
>>
>>7399954
Because non-stick is something that should be in everyone's kitchens

Sperging out over MUH SEASONING to make your cast iron pan do everything poorly, instead of picking the tool for the job, is the epitome of neckbeardery
>/ck/! my mom washed my pan with soap! how can I get revenge?
This is you
>>
>>7399962
non stick does nothing better than cast iron other than cook eggs in exotic oils, you meme, ikea, wannabe fuck. there is no end to the people that think consumerism translates to ability. get back to your containment youtube channel, jack
>>
>>7399963
>all this neckbeard outrage
Just because you can train a dog to make incoherent barking noises that sound kind of like talking doesn't mean your dog can talk, and just because a cast iron pan can sort of do the job of a teflon pan doesn't mean it should
>I can't afford more than one pan so it's ikea consumerism
Tell us more about your stupid mom who put soap on your pan, neckbeard. How much do you hate the dumb bitch? Did she also buy the wrong brand of energy drinks?
>>
>>7399906

Did you season it?
>>
>>7399920

>electric stove

You people shouldn't be allowed to cook
>>
>>7399965
why are you trying so hard to deflect? you think you arent being transparent? the only time i ever take out non-stick is when im using gritty seasonings that would dry my skillet. good lord who do you think you are fooling. you think because your little suburban community all has barbies first 20 piece kitchen set you are now a cook? stay in your zone
>>
>>7399969
not really
it just said to fill the pan with vegetable oil and let it on medium high until it starts smoking, cool off and repeat two times in the manual, that's what i did
>>
>>7399973
>you think because your little suburban community all has barbies first 20 piece kitchen
Looks like you trained your dog to post on 4chan too

Unfortunately your post was too incoherent to even understand what you're saying, so go ahead and say I'm "moving the goalposts" or "straw man" or "projecting" now.
>>
>>7399978
when people refer to flimsy logical appeals to run away from a savaging
>>
>>7399975

That's what I meant.

So how does it behave differently than your non stick pan did at high heat? Does it get too hot in the center? It will be more prone to hot spots than non stick.
>>
>>7400000
This is the only correct answer. Sorry about your thread, OP.
>>
>>7400000

And nobody cares.
>>
>>7400003
the faggot who keeps spamming tha anchovie pizza cares.
>>7400001

i saved you from that so now you should care too.
>>
File: tumblr_n4yoz1uiVz1ttppkno3_540.jpg (45 KB, 534x504) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4yoz1uiVz1ttppkno3_540.jpg
45 KB, 534x504
>>7400000
>>
So this thread has confused me. What should I buy if I want an all around purpose pan?
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (94 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
94 KB, 399x388
>>7399920
>tfw mine only goes to 6

oh dog why is it so small
>>
>>7400025
Get a man grate
>>
>>7399906
>It's a very nice pan but I can't turn the heat higher than 4/9 or it will end up in a hellfire.
Are you trying to fry an egg in a pan that would hold 8 eggs? Are you adding oil to the pan when it's cold? Is the pan unevenly heating/thin? Is this pan getting noticeably hotter than the nonstick did?

Be more specific about hellfire. High heat is pretty much for searing and frying, so if you aren't doing those things, what is it that you're doing that you think is getting too warm for too long?

Who gets sick of a nonstick? Unless you are trying to park it in the oven, or wishing you had a fond...they're awesome to work with and clean, both.
>>
>>7400025
No such thing, get all of the above >>7399933
and remember there are two kinds of cast iron: enameled and not. You need both.
>>
>>7400025
I use stainless steel and love it. Though pretty much only use it for meat. But it's great for searing meat.
>>
>>7400000
>>7400000
>>
>>7400025
>So this thread has confused me. What should I buy if I want an all around purpose pan?
There is no ONE pan. It's not Lord of the Rings here. You pick the right tool for the job, and you might have to own a few things in your kitchen to do all the things you want. In the meantime, you buy what works for you most of the time, and then restrict your recipes to the tools you own.
>>
How did mankind survive for thousands of years without seven hundred different unitasking pans in their cave?

Jesus Christ the fuck is wrong with your capitalist tools?
>>
>>7400046
Largely by eating gruel, crude breads, alcoholic beverages that tasted like rotting garbage water, and occasionally feasting on a dead animal for long enough to get gout, followed by another few years of barely scraping by

Yes, barely scraping by. Kind of like your life
>>
>>7400054
I get by alright. You don't need to worry about me.

But, really; One or two pans is enough for most people.
>>
>>7400041
I guess the problem is, I don't know what is "the best tool for the job".
>>
>>7400064
>kraft singles is good enough for most people
>the olive garden is good enough for most people
>a slap chop is good enough for most people
You're on a food and cooking board, where, ostensibly, we'd care about food and cooking. Of course as it is we mostly argue about which regional fast food chain is most "patrician", so I guess you win this argument. I'm sorry I even come here.
>>
i'd love to eat out at all of you guys at home lmao
talking science and shit about pans like it were witchcraft it's hilarious
>>
>>7400071
Your analogies are stupid because someone has one pan then that pan would excel in at least one area but kraft singles excells at nothing.

All anybody needs is:
>1 SS pan
>1 non-stick pan
>an ability to adapt
Of course none of this matters if the stove is electric because then nothing will work.
>>
>>7400085
I agree that the combination you listed would be better than trying to make a cast iron pan do everything. It certainly isn't "all anyone needs" but it's making the best of a bad situation.

I was just arguing against the neckbeard who literally believes a cast iron pan is the best tool for every possible job in the kitchen and anyone who disagrees must have let his dumb bitch mom put soap on it.
>>
>>7400071
thats a really poor analogy. women are enough for me, so i dont fuck men
>>
>>7400092
nobody but your dumbass is talking about boiling water in cast iron. holy fuck you are autistic
>>
>>7400092
Oh, I see. You thought I was that guy trying to continue the debate. Nah. I just don't think most people have the need, funds, or storage space to justify having seven hundred different slabs of metal in their kitchen.

whatever. I'm going to bed.
>>
File: WS-544-Chrome.jpg (75 KB, 658x1000) Image search: [Google]
WS-544-Chrome.jpg
75 KB, 658x1000
>>7400103
>hundreds
I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in a crowded city, if I have space for 8 to 10 pieces of good quality cookware, someone living in West Jesusville Indiana has no excuse

You should look into these modular storage shelves, vertical space is how we do it in the city.
>>
>>7400112
what do you cook? you sound like a pathetic loner to be perfectly honest
>>
>>7399910
>that little silicon thing at the end of the handle
You can just pop it out and throw it away.
>>
>>7400116
Various things. This morning I had no-knead bread I started last night, bacon, fried eggs, and grapefruit. Last night I made >>7398306

I like how you're now attacking my character now that your arguments are getting solved. Don't be angry, I'm just trying to help you understand how to optimize your quality of life.
>>
>>7400123
you are the person calling everyone but yourself neckbeards?
>>
>>7400134
If you heard me describe a certain type of person as a neckbeard, and you felt personally attacked, then yes, that's me, and I described you.

Please don't make the mistake of assuming everyone in the world is just like you. I know many people who consider it valuable to have different kinds of cookware for different applications. I would be tempted to make the mistake of assuming everyone is like this, but I have 4chan to set me straight. Kind of like how I'm setting you straight, right now.
>>
>>7400123
what exquisite kitchen tools did you need to prepare fucking potatoes and a sausage?
lmao you are a sad motherfucker
>>
>>7400148
What potatoes? Anyway I used a cast iron pan, I thought you'd be pleased.
>>
>>7400139
LOL. you ever hear of cognitive dissonance? your food looks pleb as fuck btw. nice job talking about marginalizing tools, then turn around and show off potatoes and whole sausage. you dont even need a skillet for that level. a hot rock wouldve sufficed
>>
>>7400156
ok, acorn squash. my point is only thus exaggerated
>>
>>7400156
>you dont even need a skillet for that level
I'm glad you're finally coming around to accepting that a skillet is for a certain type of food, but not ideal for other types of food. That was, after all, the point of this discussion. Not your irrational anger over people who have more than one pan.
>>
>>7400025
People are right in saying you need specific pans for specific jobs, but if you are looking for a versatile pan that can do a lot of things reasonably well, I'd look at hard anodized.

You don't have to go full /ck/ autism to get good results.
>>
>>7400160
i was the first person to talk about the use of OPs pan in my post concerning burning and boiling. you are the one going full blown autist, now apparently in a projection of your own lacking
>>
>>7400166
I lack a few pieces of equipment but it's nothing urgent. I'd really like a copper fait tout. But I need to get rid of a few redundant pieces before I buy anything new.
>>
>>7400175
of ability i meant. but now i feel like i am getting too mean, or this is getting too easy
>>
>>7400179
>of ability i meant
oh lool the squash cooking sausage chef has spoken
ayyy
>>
File: 1440528773542.jpg (240 KB, 1100x1380) Image search: [Google]
1440528773542.jpg
240 KB, 1100x1380
>>7400000
>>
>>7400179
You're just salty because you mistook my claim that good equipment is useful, for a claim that I only eat rarified refined things. And now that you got worked up over the resulting inferiority complex it gave you, you're feeling triumphant that you "caught" me eating simple foods that you didn't have to google. And now you can't figure out which straw man to use, so you're flailing a bit.
>>
>>7400189
You feeling a bit disoriented, anon?
>>
>>7399935
>he doesn't understand skillets are a meme
>>
>>7400193
you might feel like the things that come out of your gab are comprehensive, but it sounds like gibberish. like a baby babbling to repeat something it heard its parents say
>>
>>7399906
Did you de-wax it OP?
If not there is your problem.
>>
>>7399924
They drowned their food in oil.
>>
>>7400000
nice
>>
>>7400025
a good carbon steel is good enough famfam
>>
File: mqdefault (4).jpg (9 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault (4).jpg
9 KB, 320x180
>>7400000
He predicted it.

H-Holy fuck...
>>
>>7399972
Sorry I live in barracks where drunken assholes regularly set things on fire.
>>
>>7399933
>>7400030
whats the difference between the two kinds of cast iron: enameled and not
what about ceramics? is that like teflon? what about copper?
what about induction stoves? they work differently (heat transition) so dont they require different techniques and therefor different pan types?
>>
File: 1455528545697.png (231 KB, 320x362) Image search: [Google]
1455528545697.png
231 KB, 320x362
>>7400000
>>
>>7400020
>>7400036
>>7400190
>>7401231
>>7401358
How hard do you think it is to get on /ck/
>>
File: 1453333848504.gif (930 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1453333848504.gif
930 KB, 270x270
>>7400000
>>7400000
>>7400000
>>7400000
>>
>>7400000
>>
>>7401367
The guy who got the get isn't drawing attention to it. But the guy spamming the anchovy pizza tried for the get as a thread opener to continue forcing his meme.
The sad thing is the guy who got the get will probably be b& but the forced spammer probably won't.

I just hope a mod deletes the get post without b&ing the poster.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.