[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I do with plantains? The reduced produce section
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (35 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
35 KB, 480x360
What should I do with plantains? The reduced produce section of my supermarket always has them, so I got about ten of them for a dollar. The ones I bought this time are still green, just with some blemishes.

I've tried boiling them just like potatoes and while that's okay, it's not my favorite. I'd prefer not to deep fat fry them. I imagine I'll have them for a while, so any ideas of what I could do with fully ripe plantains would be appreciated, as well.
>>
slice them into chips and fry them up in some olive oil. season with salt, or if you have lawry's seasoned salt, even better.

That's the "salty" style which I prefer over letting them ripen and having sweet fried bananas.

Get to it, faggot. Times a wastin.
>>
I slice them into chips and let them soak in lemon, salt and dried thinly sliced chili, then I deep fry them. Turns out pretty good OP, I also boil them, smash them with bread crumbs, make small popcorn balls and fry them
>>
Make a chip thats your option no other option available
>>
>>7394618

Slice them up. Toss with brown sugar, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Roast until caramelized.
>>
tostones
>>
>>7394618
>I'd prefer not to deep fat fry them
Good news, you can pan fry them instead!
>>
>>7394618
Mix two cups water, with two TBSP salt and two TBSP garlic sriracha.

Cut the plantain into medallions and deep fry at 325 until just golden. 1-2 minutes.

Remove from oil, and dry, then crush them with a flat surface until they are 1/4-1/8th of an inch thick.

Put them in the saltwater/sriracha bath, and rest them for 1-2 minutes. Increase the heat of the oil to 350.

After the bath, dry the flattened plantain medallions on paper towels, and re-fry in the hotter oil for 5 minutes, or until they reach your desired crispiness.
>>
>>7394959
This isn't bad. Plantains change in flavor over time; they are bitter and best cooked like this when they aren't quite ripe yet like in >>7394618

If you wait a while they start to sweeten when they turn yellow, not like a banana though. You can still fry them, but the flavor will be different and I prefer them sweetened with brown sugar at this point.

You can also cook them in a pan if you are a scrub with some oil.
>>
>>7394866
>>7394871
You should slice them slightly thickly, fry them, then smash them flat and fry them again. Tostones are fucking brilliant.

Plantains are also good for soups and stews, along with yuca, squash, corn, and other vegetables and meat.

You could also try mofongo. You could slice them open and stuff them with cheese and vegetables, then bake in the oven. You could make a jibarito sandwich. I sometimes use plantain to flavor the broth I use to make rice.
>>
I guess I'm going to have to learn to fry them. Thanks for the responses.
>>
Cut the plantain in half length wise, and then the cut the halves into bite size pieces. Put a bit of butter in a pan and fry them up til browned, crispiness to your preference. Sprinkle with a bit of salt. Good on it's own or added to various hispanic dishes. I tried it with red beans and rice once even, wasn't bad.
>>
Turon.
>>
>>7394618
If you don't want to fry them, then you can wrap them in foil and bake them. Optionally you can slice them open and put cheese in before wrapping.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.