[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm honestly fucking tired of buying fucking salsa. It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: tostitos-salsa-medium.png (82 KB, 160x231) Image search: [Google]
tostitos-salsa-medium.png
82 KB, 160x231
I'm honestly fucking tired of buying fucking salsa. It's like $4 per jar, and is barely enough for one bag of chips.

Please post your favorite, preferably cheap salsa recipes.
>>
>>7394201
>barely enough for one bag of chips.

Maybe if you're a fat fuck American
>>
closer to relish than salsa but a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, 50g of balsamic vinegar, enough brown sugar to take the edge off the vinegar, add chopped chillis and garlic, reduce on a low heat.
>>
A bunch of Roma tomatoes
Two jelepenos and one serrano
A few tomatillos if you have access, if not don't worry about it
One white or yellow onion
Garlic, a lot
Cilantro
Lemon or lime, lime is traditional
Salt and pepper

Boil, roast or grill all the vegetables, beside the cilantro, until tender
Blend them
Thin it out with some tomato sauce or reserved boiling liquid (this why I boil it)
Salt, pepper, clilantro and lime to taste

You can go crazy and add some chipotle peppers or different kind of peppers. There really isn't a science to it. Just make it how you like it.
>>
>>7394211
>salsa
>high calorie

Europoor education
>>
>>7394229
This is basically what i do for salsa as well but I like to add a small can of diced tomatoes with chilies and also some cumin
>>
>>7394233
>calories are the only thing that matters
it's got tons of salt
>>
>>7394251
Drink more water, dummy. The human body is excellent at getting rid of it.
>>
>>7394201
>$4 per jar
Why are you paying that much for jarred salsa?
>>
>>7394265
publix
>>
File: kv1.jpg (33 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
kv1.jpg
33 KB, 450x450
>>7394201

Really easy/cheap/basic salsa:
>Get a big can of tomato sauce (I like pic related)
>Dice up some onions, tomatoes and jalapenos
>Combine in a large bowl
>Add some lime juice and chopped cilantro

You can add a tomatillio or other kinds of peppers if you have them.
>>
File: salsa.jpg (287 KB, 671x710) Image search: [Google]
salsa.jpg
287 KB, 671x710
Currently eating pic related, I think its pretty good, but I'm no salsa expert. I usually just go down to my local Mexican place and get big cups of their homemade shit and fried tortilla chips.
>>
3.5lbs tomatoes (ideally italian)
3-4 jalapenos, seeded
1 large onion
5 large cloves of garlic
3 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, or to taste (optional)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
*Makes 5-6 half-pints*
1. Preheat the oven to 425F.

2. Combine the onion and garlic, toss with olive oil, and roast until tender and charred at the edges.

3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut a small “X” at the bottom of the tomatoes and cut out the stem. Carefully drop the tomatoes in for a few seconds, scalding them. Cool the tomatoes in an ice bath and peel them. Alternatively, if dealing with large quantities, fill the sink with tomatoes and pour a large pot’s worth of boiling water over them, then allow the water to drain.

4. Put tomatoes (cut in chunks) in a large pot, and simmer until thickened and reduced by one third (approximately 1 hour).

5.Add the roasted onions, garlic, and jalapenos. Use a blender (or stick blender) to reduce the salsa into a sauce. Some chunks are fine, but I tend to prefer a smoother salsa.

6. Add cilantro (if using), salt, and pepper to taste, and add the lemon/lime juice. Simmer for another 15 minutes.

7. Ladle the hot salsa into jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Remove any air bubbles. Process the jars for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
>>
Tomatoes
Chillies
Onion
Cilantro
Lime

Chop em. Put an in a bowl. Wait a day or two.
>>
All these niggas don't seem to have a any idea on how to make salsa, my gf's mom makes the best salsa ever, i'll show you how.

-Slice 5 tomatoes and toast them in a pan, along with chopped onion and garlic.
-Take a handful of tree chillies, cut them in half and take the seeds out of them and then fry them with a small bit of olive oil.
-Blend everything with half a cup of water and add salt on the end.

You can make this salsa where i live with like 2 dollars or so.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.