[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, how difficult is it really to be a waitress? Seems like they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2
File: waitress-600x400.jpg (53 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
waitress-600x400.jpg
53 KB, 600x400
So, how difficult is it really to be a waitress? Seems like they get a lot of sympathy and whine a lot even though they probably get paid more than most restaurant workers.
>>
Easier and far better paying in the majority of cases than back of house.
>>
>>7393130
Worst job in the industry, it's like being a whore with optional pay and not being able to turn down minorities or trailer trash.
>>
Bartender here.

Hated being a waiter, more high maintenance. You run around like a chicken especially when you have a lot of tables
>>
it's a very unsatisfying job if you're not extremely into superficial, repetitive interaction with lots and lots of people
>>
>>7393130
>So, how difficult is it really to be a waitress?
Piss easy.

Whiny, self entitled cunts who pretend to take any form of credit for the food they had nothing to do with cooking. And get this, they demand daily bonuses ("tips" lmao) as ransom to not defile your food in disgusting ways.
>>
Depends on location and the patrons.
>>
You're a glorified cashier
>>
I used to work as waitstaff. Job was waaaay easier than my friends who consistently bitch about it on social media say. Plus, pay is fine. For little skill, 500 bucks a week without paying taxes is great.
>>
>>7393135
This, I can work full time BOH and servers working half the time end up with 2x the amount in their paychecks, sometimes more if they are good. A lot of them are retarded and blow it on cigs and alcohol.
>>
>>7393130
>So, how difficult is it really to be a waitress?

It isn't.
>>
It depends on the restaurant and how much you care. I'm a server at the Olive Garden and keeping up with the disgusting amount of refills on soup and salad can be aggravating, but all in all it's a pretty easy job. You just have to be efficient and have a thick skin.
>>
Really depends on the restaurant. In some it's surprisingly tough and exhausting. I worked as a waiter in a few places for some time and it was one of the worst jobs I ever had; the tips kinda made up for it (they were split with the cooks anyway, at the end of the shift tips are split amongst all the team that's how it's done in the downtown part of my city) but it quickly made me want to poison most of the costumers.

If you're not a very outgoing person it takes a huge toil on you having to be nice and all smiley for hours on end
>>
>>7393385
>and alcohol.
What are you, a muslim
>>
>>7393385
Reeee
>>
>>7393146
Seems legit. Have worked in restaurants before; at least back-of-house staff don't have to smile at trashy people for no tips
>>
I was a server and moved to cooking. Bitch ass customers who are always a pain in he ass, running around getting shit for people that is not their food, people sitting in your section for hours not moving killing your table turns. People asking for shit the restaurant does not have and get mad at you for not having it. People asking for a Tuesday special on a Wednesday and getting mad. People wanting shit for free or discounted for no reason. Kids being a pain in the ass nd their parents not doing shit or expecting you to handle their kids.

I remember this one ass. Used to come every Friday by himself, sat in my section at a 4 top by himself, spread out hisshit (laptop, papers, etc) sit for hours (loosing me money on a table I could have sat several groups). Order the cheapest shit on the menu then when the food comes out there is nowhere to put it because of his shit. He gets mad if you don't put it in front of him but his laptop isthere and its not like I can since both hands full. Then he would order non alcoholic beer ( which we do not carry) he would then go al nutz taising his voice about it. "I come here every week, why dont you buy a case of beer for me and keep it in the back." Not like he unerstands space in the walkin is a premium, we have deals with suppliers and carry their stuff.

But the worse part is being nice and sunny all the time. Not my personality and spending hours pretending to be nice and giving a fuck about your job, diet requirments, kids, etc takes it out of you.
>>
>>7393385
Implying boh isn't more retarded and doesn't also blow it in cigs, alcohol and drugs
>>
>>7393412
Fucking this.
I put myself through college waiting tables AND working in kitchens, and while kitchens are hot, sweaty, and busy as fuck, it's a hell of a lot easier than dealing with the general public.
I worked in both mid tier and high end restaurants, and there's zero room for error. If you're good at that, which I was, you can make decent money, but it does take a mental and physical toll on you. I'm so fucking thankful I never have to do that job again (unless I have some horrible reversal of fortune). Dealing with the general public sucks, especially in a service capacity.
>>
>>7393502
>But the worse part is being nice and sunny all the time.
This seems like the worst part by far. Having to be a likeable and fun person, and repeating the same introduction 20 times a night for every new group that walks in. Sounds awful.
>>
Being a bus boy("serving assistant" at my job because we do more than bus tables) has made me hate all waitresses. I work at a country club so those bitches make like $12.50 minimum so that the members wont tip them, alot of the time they still do, and they're supposed to split tips with us serving assistants which is BS becausr i've never had a tip split with me even though I make $7.75. On top of that they complain constantly and dont even do any set up or teardown for events because they're "too weak" to move tables
>>
>>7393385

FOH are generally graduates, students or just total loser in some other way, so they think the world owes them something for their shitty job that could be done by a fucking chimp. BOH requires a lot more discipline and stress but they also have a fucking chip on their shoulder and most chefs I know have some kind of substance abuse problem or other personality defect.
>>
>>7393130
people get upset on how i tip.

if im in the restaurant for 30 minutes, and i get a plate of food and a drink, i tip $5. every time. i don't care if the food they carried over cost 40 or 5, i tip 5.

if im there being an asshole with a group of people, multiple drinks, dessert, of course ill tip more.

5 + whatever the 3 other tables they are waiting gives them is plenty for an hours work carrying food
>>
>>7393576
If you don't like it, find a new job.
Also, is a scientific fact that men have more upper body strength than women, while women have more lower body strength (proportionally). You just sound like a whiny bitch who would rather blame the women you work with than take some initiative to find a better position. Why don't you ask to be a server, instead of an assistant?
>>
>>7393581
Found the idiot who's never worked in a restaurant
>>
>>7393632
>The Bait Shack is open for business

This isn't a tipping thread.
>>
>>7393649
You mean the correct guy?
>>
>>7393130

It really depends on a few different factors. I worked at a Denny's, and then worked at a fancy brunch/wedding venue type place for a few years.

I enjoyed being a Denny's server. The deal breaker was that I basically didn't make any money. I was 18-19, and enjoyed working in a physically fast paced environment, where I was encouraged to have fun with the customers and my co-workers, with very little pressure on my performance.

I hated working at the brunch place. Mainly because of management, but also because of customers. The more money you pay for a burger, the shittier you are allowed to act as a human being, apparently. I had a really hard time there.

I'd recommend working at a casual restaurant as a first job. I wouldn't recommend trying to have a fine dining career. (which is possible to support yourself comfortably, but you have to work like 40-60 hrs a week)
>>
>>7393576

I don't know why fine dining servers act like they are "above" setting stuff up or tearing it down.

I worked at a corporate event/weddings kind of place and we had so many complaints and delayed events because the servers would be told to move tables together or set tables for a specific number of people and the management would come back and nothing would be done.
>>
>>7393668
Nice try, but no one's taking the bait.
>>
>>7393645
The tables aren't heavy, it's not a matter of not heavy to me, too heavy for them, they just don't want to do work. I'm supposed to start going prep work for the kitchen soon specifically because I can't stand working with them. This job was just a way to hold me over until spring when I can start working at my normal summer job. I'm a highschool senior so this job isn't particularly inportant
>>
>>7393649
Few people grow up wanting to be a chef/work in restaurants, most find themselves there because something went wrong in their life. A lot work in restaurants for the people they meet.
>>
>>7393734
Ding ding ding!
You just lost
>>
File: servers.png (270 KB, 552x367) Image search: [Google]
servers.png
270 KB, 552x367
>>7393130
Its way easier and pays way more than being a line cook for half the hours. I hate seeing all my Facebook friends who are servers complain about their jobs. They are all College kids who have never had a real job in their life. Im just glad i got out of the shithole that is the restaurant industry.
>>
>>7393649
He's pretty spot on m8
>>
>>7393130
its pretty easy. You can be a complete fucking moron and be a server. when i worked pantry we had this server who would come to the kitchen and stare me down and wait there while I'm working asking when I'm gonna be done with her ticket when i had a bunch of others before hers and then when i would just be about done with hers she would take off and leave the kitchen. god i hated that bitch.
>>
>>7393747
What is this, the retard olympics? God, you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>7393776
>if I add m8 to my post, no one will know I'm samefagging.
>>
>>7393801
>You can be a complete fucking moron and be a server
>when i worked pantry
Hello pot, this is kettle
>>
>>7393802
You're just mad because nobody agrees with your prior statement of "Found the idiot who's never worked in a restaurant".
>>
>>7393832
At least pantry cooks do their job and dont complain that they aren't making the equivalent of 20 dollars an hour for monkey work.
>>
>>7393718
My bro! I was a Dennys server too, but I got tired of that shit and became a cook. Best move I ever made, better pay, learned a great deal about food, transferablle skills. I cooked at a diner and short order at a breakfast counter after.

Now I out of the business since Im not in my 20s anymre, but I still cook up a storm.
>>
>>7393130
>difficult
its a job for people who literally don't have any other career options available to them
it isn't difficult

tedious=/=difficult
unfortunately if wait staff knew the difference they would probably be smart enough to not be wait staff
>>
Waitresses are easy fucks Tbh. Just listen to their problems & be sympathetic and before you know they on yo dick. Obvi it depends on the girl but I find this to be a good rule of thumb.
>>
>>7393645
America, where the effort and quality of work does not coincide with payment received. Before I was a foreman I made $12 more an hour than a new hire who cared more about the job and busted their ass.
>>
>>7393432
there's one of the whiny princesses now!
>>
>>7394594
wha if you're an ugly loser who has trouble talking to females and people in general?
>>
>>7394717
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated Waiter School with really good grades, and I’ve been involved in numerous catered affairs in the White House, and I have waited over 300 reserved tables. I am trained in gorilla waiting and I’m the top busboy in the entire United Waiters Workforce. You are nothing to me but just another hungry client. I will spit the fuck out of your food with phlegm the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of waiter-spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the soup, maggot. The soup that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can serve your food in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in ruining your appetite, but I have access to the entire arsenal of bread of the United States Waiter Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable appetite off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the bill + tip, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You'll be fucking hungry, kiddo.
>>
>>7393326
You sound slightly upset. Did a waitress mess up your order?
>>
>>7393130
>how difficult is it really to be a waitress?
Is this simply something OP can't use his imagination to conclude?
Well known cons apply to this job (and others):
1) on your feet
2) high stress (too many things at once)
3) crappy hours where your best work shifts are when other people are "off" from work, so need to work typical vacation weeks, national holidays with family gatherings, and hours that are opposite to school age children and 9 to 5 workers (typically)
4) customer service job (these are well known to piss people off, whether tech support, phone support, smiling and niceities right in the midst of a complainer).
5) variable unpredictable pay and hours, even seasonal for some people
6) workplace competition (someone will always be more willing to work for less and want your job out from under you). So, cutthroat practices, lies/stories about things you did or didn't do, someone willing to take a split shift or something more insane and inhumane over you, or sleep with someone for favors, or steal from you or use you for or against whatever "scam" they have going in the workplace to skim from each other or the customers or the management

Pros: all you need is to look presentable (natural model looks or endowments of some sort of "attractive" is needed in many customer service jobs), and a good memory (and good memory techniques). Things that make you really good at your job include a great knowledge of food or cooking and serving, from etiquette at how you handle or deliver food, and being a touch codependent to anticipate missing needs for a diner or that particular dish, before they're needed. Genuinely/sincerely liking people and making them happy in all ways possible, is the "game" of not getting stiffed or even buying higher tips. Sob stories, using your charm, dangling your sexual interest, and so forth? Cocktail waitresses do this all the time, and it may or may not be relevant to be connected to big spenders.
>>
I never understood the hate for FOH until I started washing dishes. They are the laziest, whiniest bitches on earth. It's my job to bring them silverware, yet every time I do they act like I'm purposefully bringing it to them because I have a grudge against them or some shit. It takes less than five fucking minutes to dry the silverware, yet these cunts bitch and complain and stand around yapping instead of doing a simple task that is part of their job.
>>7394594
I wouldn't want to fuck any of the waitresses at my job. Most of them are trashy single moms in their late 30's, and the younger ones are ugly cunts with terrible personalities.
>>
It's not difficult. It's tiring and stressful, but it's not difficult. I was a cashier / waitress for two years in one place and then just a waitress for over three years in another. It's easy as fuck and if you are quick, smart, and polite you'll rake in tip money over time, but it can be very demanding at times. It also depends a bit on the clientele and your co-workers how good/bad of an experience you'll have doing it.
>>
>>7397001
>It takes less than five fucking minutes to dry the silverware
Confirmed for never having dried and rolled a tray of silver in your life. It would take five minutes if every server dropped what they were doing and did it together, but that's impossible. Although yeah, I worked with a lot of dumb cunts that would gossip while drying the same handful over and over again as I buffed half the tray, or who would be so desperate to leave they would pretend to wipe the rag over fistfulls of silverware and throw it still dripping in the tray to be rolled so I would have to go back and dry it all properly. That's not all FOH though, that's just lazy shitty stank people who managed to get a job.
>>
Even weak ass servers bring home atleast a 100 a night in tips, pretty fucking easy. As a cook, I have to bust my ass barely making 60-75 a night.
>>
>>7398568
So go be a waiter if you're that butthurt about it. Otherwise, quit bitching.
>>
>>7398584
Waiters in tipping systems don't earn nearly as much as waitresses.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.