[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
herb garden
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
i'm going shopping today to set up an indoor herb garden

any one here do this? i'm going to use a grow light because i live in a railroad apartment with only west facing windows

suggestions welcome
>>
>>7392330
I won't be any help, but /out/ has a home grown thread always up and sometimes /an/ talks about plants if you want to ask there too.
>>
File: 1.png (1 MB, 1260x772) Image search: [Google]
1.png
1 MB, 1260x772
>>7392330
Yeah I try to grow some of my own stuff but im a real beginner. Currently growing some garlic and its looking good so far. I tried asking on /out/ about any helpful books on growing your own food/self-sufficiency in general and the recommended ones are these two:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Complete-Book-Self-Sufficiency/dp/1405345101/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455876403&sr=8-3&keywords=the+new+guide+to+self-sufficiency

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Encyclopedia-Country-Living-40th-Anniversary/dp/1570618402/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455876449&sr=8-1&keywords=the+encyclopedia+of+country+living+40th+anniversary+edition

I bought both and am pretty happy with them. You might want to look into them.
>>
>>7392353
Who's the semen demon in the picture?
>>
>>7392330
If i were you, I would probably just find the cheapest, smallest LED veg grow light I could find. Though make sure you get one for vegetative growth. Flowering plants requires a lot of red spectrum light which isn't really what you want, whereas blue wavelengths tend to stimulate vegetative and root growth, which is.

Though any cool led or fluorescent would work fairly well. Doesn't really matter if it is an aquarium light or a desklamp, you really shouldn't need a lot of wattage. Aquarium lamps are worth a special mention as they are easy to mount and can look pretty good with a minimum of effort.

How much lighting (in watts or lumens) would seem to depend on how many herbs you want to use really, but I would be surprised if you have to spend a lot of money to get pretty good results.

It also may be worth checking out r/microgrows for further research on lighting, as some of the people there come up with some pretty creative and impressive solutions.

I would probably do a 16hours on, 8 hours off program on a timer as you seem to get better returns on whatever you spend on power by mimicking something of the plants natural cycles.

t. a chef who has always though about doing something like this as a display/produce source in a restaurant.
>>
Thyme, rosemary, sage, globe basil (don't do any of the larger leaf types cuz they'll get all gangly on ya), parsley, cilantro, oregano, chives, all those do well indoors. Make sure that the pots you get have drainage holes at the bottom, and think of putting a little gravel at the bottoms of the pots before putting in soil and planting the transplants you get. You'll also want to get plant food, like miracle gro, and mix that up and feed to the plants as directed on the package. Just make sure your plants get at least 6-8 hours of sun a day, otherwise you may want to get a plant light to make up for the sun they don't get.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.