[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legit question: Is cooking actually that difficult to understand?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1455003034960.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1455003034960.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
Legit question: Is cooking actually that difficult to understand? I mean the basics, none of that higher end fancy shit.

I've seen the cringe material here and that's baffling in and of itself, but then there are smaller things like these advanced culinary school kids coming in and taking a good hour just to cut a couple of fucking carrots.

I just don't get it.
>>
File: fucking raw.gif (971 KB, 245x200) Image search: [Google]
fucking raw.gif
971 KB, 245x200
You could learn every technique from a book an a couple of hours.

Cooking is a craft though, and needs to be learned through rote repetition.

This is why, regardless of how many books you read, the Mexican crack head preparing your birthday dinner at your favorite restaurant is a much better cook than you will likely ever be.
>>
>>7392215

No, it's not. People who can't cook basic food are stunted and useless. I cook for myself most of the time. Good food. Within half an hour I can have a salmon fillet, roast potatoes, and sauteed vegetables. I taught myself how to cook some dishes, as well as learned a ton from observing my mother/grandparents growing up and in recent years I've used youtube/cookbooks and just redid the same dish until I had it memorized by heart and mastered it through trial/error.

I would not expect my food to satisfy people going to a five star restaurant for a meal, but it's good, hearty, and healthy. A typical meal for me would be pan roasted potatoes or rice, sauteed vegetables, and a baked salmon fillet which is extremely easy to make just drizzle olive oil, rub in generous amount of pepper/salt, wrap in foil, bake in the over at 400F for 15 minutes, serve it with a lemon wedge and dill. I'll do the same with chicken, other meats/fishes. I don't have a grill so I sometimes fry my beef tenderloin in pan.
>>
>>7392215
>I mean the basics
LITERALLY anyone can do that. Not even a hyperbole, but even some blind people can cook.

It's not that difficult bro.

>but then there are smaller things like these advanced culinary school kids coming in and taking a good hour just to cut a couple of fucking carrots.
That's more experience than understanding, but still pretty atrocious from kids coming from a culinary school.

>>7392237
There is some skill and technique in high class dishes though. And then there's molecular gastronomy, which is effectively a science.
>>
cooking is full of stuff you have to do once to get right the second time.

it's obviously daunting to create a dish without a recipe when you don't know how the ingredients work. there are many things that could go wrong.

no it's not actually *difficult* to understand, at least, if you want to cook food that has some basis in tradition, but it is a broad, granular subject.

>then there are smaller things like these advanced culinary school kids coming in and taking a good hour just to cut a couple of fucking carrots.

what
>>
>>7392561

>And then there's molecular gastronomy, which is effectively a science.

hahaha
>>
>>7392574

>we use fancy equipment
>and chemicals that only food scientists have been using to make processed foods before now
>and sometimes we have to use numbers on our equipment that aren't 350

Yeah, it's the same shit that cooks have always done, just making a point to use new techniques.
>>
>>7392215
>posts animu
>expects to be taken seriously
>>
>>7392242
Kek this sounds like bateman pasta
>>
>>7392242
hello irish stew guy
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.