[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally tried scallops. I didn't really like them. They
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 464x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 464x350
Finally tried scallops. I didn't really like them. They were grilled.

Too bad, I really had high hopes.
>>
Well, you are wrong.
>>
Willing to bet you had scallops that were overcooked as fuck.
Why didn't you like them? Texture or flavor?
If you say "rubbery" well then you can point the finger at the chef, not the scallops.
>>
I've always thought they tasted a little bland compared to other seafood. They definitely need butter and good seasoning.
>>
>>7389281
Unless you are somewhere where wild scallops are harvested, they pretty much suck.
Give them another chance if you ever make it to the US or French Virgin Islands
>>
>>7389337

Nah, they weren't rubbery. The sear was good and they were quite tender, it's just that the flavor was pretty... Plain. Maybe underseasoned? They only had an ocean-y flavor.
>>
I don't really like scallops unless they're raw.
>>
>>7389402
Underseasoned or not fresh enough, or maybe low quality. Or if it was a shit place they might be 'wet' scallops, ie. soaked in a phosphate brine to add water weight. Underseasoned means they'll be lacking in flavor overall, low quality or not very fresh scallops will have less flavor or maybe slightly odd flavor. Wet scallops are just shit, texturally and flavorfully, and they don't get a good crust when seared.

High-quality, fresh scallops seasoned properly should be quite sweet. They're never going to be super intensely flavored or anything, but they definitely shouldn't be 'plain' tasting.

>>7389362
Also this- if you're somewhere where you aren't getting wild scallops they'll be substantially less flavorful, same as most seafood.
>>
>>7389745
this
>people think they can buy cheap or unfresh seafood and expect to enjoy it

this is why so many people claim not to like seafood - they've never had good stuff and they just don't realise that it HAS to be fresh
>>
>>7389281
they suck. agreed.
>>
>>7389281
>tfw the first time you had scallops was at a food tasting event paid for by your employer from 3 star chef whose most famous dish is his scallops at a Tokyo event
>tfw you werent impressed

Obviously they weren't bad and were good, but I was severely disappointed. Crab is the best seafood
>>
>>7392128
Crab is just an excuse to put Old Bay on yet another thing desu.
>>
>>7392131
You're confusing baltimore blue crab with snow crab. Sometimes people try to claim that king crab is good but its just because they are lazy
>>
I love getting battered scallops when I get fish and chips, especially if it still has the roe attached.
>>
>>7389281

I've had scallops at restaurants that have excellent chefs. I know high price does not always mean good but honestly this place was like a 5 star restaurant. Scallops fucking suck.
>>
>>7389362
>>7389745

Aren't scallops cultured in the ocean though? No one has ever developed an enclosed system for scallop aquaculture.

Why would the cultured scallops be worse than wild if they're both from the same environment?
>>
>>7392128

Caviar is the best seafood.
>>
>>7392128
tfw no proper crab to be had in the UK
>>
File: GATO DOCE.jpg (24 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
GATO DOCE.jpg
24 KB, 360x480
>>7392203

I'm just going to pretend that that's actually your bed.

It seems a little big for just you, but at least you have Mr. Crab and his mother's enormous severed claw - for some reason indecently shoved in his dead face - to keep you company at night.
>>
>>7392203
not sure if troll?

Plenty of good crab to be had in the UK.
>>
>>7392240
Ignore that faggots bait.
>>
>>7389745
You're defending scallops like a college student defends muslims. Some people just don't like scallops.
>>
>>7392311

Pretty sure there's a picky eater thread somewhere out there.
>>
>>7389362
This, scallop meat does not keep at all. There's an incredibly noticeable different between a scallop you just opened and a scallop that was left in the fridge for a few hours
>>
>>7392372

Maybe you should have left them longer?

"Barton Seaver was telling me about an experiment at the Woods Hole Laboratory in Massachusetts a few years ago. He and others were asked to judge the quality of scallops in different stages of degradation, from fresh off the boat to 8 days out of the water. It was a blind test.

"The one that smelled the worst was the freshest," Seaver told me. "It smelled poopy." The taste, he added, wasn't far off.

By contrast, the Blue Ridge chef said, the scallops that were 7 or 8 days old "were the ones that tasted the sweetest and that smelled the most fragrant."
>>
>>7392476

PS. I can't imagine this being very safe, it's not like gutting an animal. Contamination with stomach content seems trivial.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.