[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do things taste differently when we only have six tastes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 197x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 197x300
Why do things taste differently when we only have six tastes?

An apple is sweet and sour but it has the flavor of 'apple' as well. What is that and how do you explain it?
>>
>>7382418
>What are aroma's?
>>
because we don't only have six tastes

>What is that and how do you explain it?
It has sugars, thus it's sweet. It has pectin and other mildly acidic chemicals, thus is sour. It's an apple, thus it tastes like an apple.

Stop being retarded on purpose.
>>
Aroma
>>
>>7382418
proportions of different tastes? are you stupid?

the image itself you posted illustrates that.
>>
>>7382436
An apple has 'apple' taste as well which can't be explained with those limited words

You explain thousands of fruits in that post
>>
I taste pussy wit my whole tongue boy
>>
>>7382456
>being proud of sliding his tongue on piss flaps.
>>
>>7382418
Like most things taught in high school, that picture is an over simplification. Unless you need to learn how taste works, that picture will serve you for the rest of your life.

On the other hand, once you start studying either the tongue or flavour or taste in detail, you'll find that picture fallacious.
>>
>>7382418
A large part of the "taste" of food is actually smell. We do a lot of tasting with our nose.

The "taste regions of the tongue" thing is not true btw. We can taste any sort of taste (salty, sour, sweet, bitter) with any part of our tongue.
>>
1. the tongue itself is much, much more complicated than that and the way you perceive stuff on it can vary wildly even when it has the same concentration of those basic taste groups. there is still plenty of it we don't understand as well
2. there is plenty of combinatoric complexity in the ratios of those tastes in different things
3. 'sour' isn't just 'sour', different acids have different effects even at the same pH in solution, the same thing is principally true of all those tastes
4. an enormous amount of flavour comes from the nose, aromas are not only our primary means of identifying flavours but they also can affect how we perceive the taste in terms of sweetness, bitterness etc.
5. texture has a bigger effect on these things than you might think as well, flavour encapsulation from different cell structures of plants or animals, viscosity and so on will all have an effect on the perceived concentration/rate of release of tastes and aromas
>>
Heard it was bullshit based on a very old theory since proven to be wrong. one can taste everywhere the same
>>
>>7382452
What the fuck are you talking about. An apple tastes like an apple specifically because it's an apple. To suggest otherwise would be retarded. To drill down would be sub categorization.
>>
File: GrappleApe_Clamshell.jpg (895 KB, 1229x1008) Image search: [Google]
GrappleApe_Clamshell.jpg
895 KB, 1229x1008
>>7382537
Slow down, grampa
>>
>>7382418

put salt on your finger and dab it in each of the areas shown in your pic

let me know how it goes
>>
>>7382418
Just eat a whole bag of salt.
>>
>>7382560
>kicking around in my backyard the other day
>notice a white patch in the dead zone of my yard
>suddenly realize it is a salt mine
>go to the hardware shop and buy a bunch of shovels and pick up some mexican children
>get them to dig up my salt mine in exchange for cans of beans
after a few days, have a well sized mine
>start extracting the sweet, sweet, salt
>kids start dying due to the white lung
>trigger a mine collapse to hide the evidence and dead children

haven't been able to eat salt since. no salt is as good as that backyard orphan salt.
>>
>>7382461
>Has boring sex
>>
>>7382570

RIP mexikids

i crey evrtiem ;~;
>>
>>7382461

You some dumb nigger too afraid to eat a woman out? Or just a virgin? Prob latter faghot
>>
>>7382440
>>7382418

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue_map

Completely disproven
>>
>>7382418
that picture is incorrect, you have about an equal distribution of the receptors across your tongue, some people are weird and have excessive bitter receptors
>>
>>7382549
I've no idea what point you're trying to make, but you're not making it
>>
>>7382725
It is literally an apple that does not taste like an apple.
>>
>>7382752
I got that from the picture, it tastes like a grape. That doesn't negate the original statement. They even state "Tastes like a grape", and called it a Grapple.

It is an apple with grape flavours added. If you're shitposting you're not doing it very well.
>>
>>7382770
But this apple tastes like a grape specifically while being an apple.
>>
>>7382537
But why does it taste like apple

It's impossible to explain it and we can't do it by saying it's crunchy, juicy, sweet, sour etc that tells nothing about the actual taste of the apple
>>
>>7382787

> that tells nothing about the actual taste of the apple

yes, that all tells you something about the taste of the apple.
>>
>>7382777
You've said that twice now, and the picture says the same. That doesn't negate the original statement.

Stop shitposting or learn basic English.

>>7382787
It tastes like an apple because it is an apple. Describing the taste of the apple is sub-categorization, hence the mention of pectins and fructose sugars in the original post.

Are you guys intentionally being retarded?
>>
We actually can taste 7. 7th being umami
>>
>>7382795
Instead of calling me a shitposter, explain how it is not negated maybe.
>>
>>7382823

plz itemise all 7 for me
>>
>>7382841
>This apple has grape flavouring added to it so it tastes like a grape
>Apples taste like apples

How does one negate the other? It doesn't.

The only thing you could draw from this is that

>An apple that has had grape flavouring added to it doesn't taste like an apple
>>
>>7382852
Exactly. So not all apples taste like apples.
>>
>>7382418
Aroma plays a huge role in "taste" as I understand it.
>>
>>7382844
bitter
sweet
sour
salty
spicy
savory
umami
>>
>>7382885

lol
>>
>>7382461
I have literally eaten a kebab off a subway floor while piss drunk. I'm almost positive piss lips are cleaner than that kebab.
>>
>>7382878
Oh, you were trolling. 2/10 made me think you were just stupid
>>
>>7382418
>Why do things taste differently when we only have six tastes?

I dunno, why can we see millions of colors if our eyes can only distinguish three? Because it's not an on or off thing, each taste can appear in different amounts, forming ratios that make up different distinct tastes. The nose also has a lot to do with it, which just makes it even more complicated.
>>
>>7382937
>each taste can appear in different amounts, forming ratios that make up different distinct tastes
So what's the flavour ratio in coffee?

>I dunno, why can we see millions of colors if our eyes can only distinguish three
Would those be Magenta/Cyan/Yellow, Red/Green/Blue or an entirely different trio?
>>
>>7382914
How is that trolling?
>>
>>7382795
I don't think you get the point so I'll ignore you from now
>>
>>7383048

no you aren't getting his point dude
>>
>>7382418
>hy do things taste differently when we only have six tastes?
First of all, that tongue map has been debunked along with 19th century brain maps.

Secondly, most of our "taste" actually comes from our sense of smell cooperating with our sense of taste. That's why you have a hard time tasting anything when you have a cold. It's also why it helps to smell something when you'r e cooking, because it allows you to make a rough estimate of how it'll taste.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.