[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whiskey threads pop up all the time. I'd much rather drink
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 34
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 370x740) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 370x740
Whiskey threads pop up all the time. I'd much rather drink rum.

Favorite rum thread
>>
File: image.jpg (217 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217 KB, 540x720
>>
File: rum_pla10.jpg (259 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
rum_pla10.jpg
259 KB, 900x1200
Pic related for sipping neat, though for mixing nothing beats Sailor Jerry's.
>>
>>7377410

I quite like Pusser's myself as well OP.

My top 3:

Ragged Mountain Rum from the Berkshire Mountain Distillers

Gosling's Black Seal

and Sailor Jerry like >>7378377
said.
>>
>>7378385
If ya like darks, give myers dark and cruzan black a taste. The latter is like a molasses bomb

Drinking havana club 7 at the moment. Pretty dope
>>
Rum fiend here.

Never enjoyed sailor jerry or any of the rums that have a heavy vanilla flavor (or other added flavors).
I'd recommend El Dorado, the aged Appleton Estates' isn't bad, Anniversario, and the best rum of all Smugglers Cove
>>
>>7377410
Seconding for the most based rum out there.
My go to cocktail for pussers
Naval Punch
1 1/2 oz Pussers Rum
1/2 oz Averna Amaro
1/2 of a fresh lemon juiced
2 oz Pineapple juice
3 dashes orange angoustra bitters over the top

Mix ingredients and shake untill enough air has been put into the drink to create foam, then once poured top with 3 dashes of angoustra orange bitters and a dash of fresh grated nutmeg
>>
Wray and Nephews Overproof is all you need.

Or Canarian honey rum.
>>
rum newfriend here

Always liked captain morgan's and cheap spiced rum from Czech republic. Bought myself a bottle of Gosling's Seal rum, what can I expect?
>>
my entire life is a Bacardi party
>>
>>7378393

will do anon, i think i've tried myers and liked it, i always thought cruzan was a sub par brand, but that could have just been their cheaper offerings.
>>
Food pairings?
>>
i hate rum. it's the worst of the liquors. it's always what i have the most of in my liquor cabinet.
>>
>>7378495

Bad rum is definitely terrible. But good rum is easily one of, if not the best tasting hard liquor
>>
>>7378458

rum drinks have always been really nice with things like paella dishes, or like tapas sort of things, make a rum punch or drink it neat
>>
File: rum.jpg (19 KB, 238x600) Image search: [Google]
rum.jpg
19 KB, 238x600
>>
Is Kraken any good?
>>
File: ron barcelo.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ron barcelo.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
I really have to refrain myself so I won't drink too much of it. It's just that good.
>>
>>7378563
It's meh. Not bad, but not great either. It's fancy bottle design and advertising to the young crowd has made it pretty popular though.
>>
File: Havana_Club_7_anos.jpg (424 KB, 1228x1890) Image search: [Google]
Havana_Club_7_anos.jpg
424 KB, 1228x1890
I can drink this str8 like water. So fucking tasty, I heard that Bacardi makes a knockoff version in america because of that whole thing about america and cuba being at war and all.

If it's anything like the real deal pick it up claps.
>>
>>7378563
>>7378566
Kraken isn't rum, it's spiced rum.

It's like truffle oil vs truffles. Chicago pizza vs pizza. Shark fin soup that is actually made of noodles and gelatin. Etc.
>>
>>7378536
thanks
>>
>>7378573
>tripcode

into the filter
>>
File: Rhum-JM-blanc-Rhum-Martinique.jpg (11 KB, 94x260) Image search: [Google]
Rhum-JM-blanc-Rhum-Martinique.jpg
11 KB, 94x260
J.M rum distillery is the oldest in Martinique. I m always shocked when I compare its taste to an usual rum bought in a common supermarket (saint james, havana, captain etc...)
Its flavour is so sweet that when you drink it pure, you dont even feel the 50 degrees in it.
seriously i recommand it
>>
>>7378631
it s almost 30 dollars but its worth the price
>>
>>7378438
Yeah meyers is good stuff.

Cruzan is mixed. Blackstrap and white are good solid mixers. Black is too overpowering to do straight.

Their single barrel when let to sit out awhile is god tier heavenly.

>>7378563
Not bad. Reminds me of dr pepper and licorice. Better than capn morgan black. But for less money you can get meyers or goslings which are way better. You pay for the bottle with kraken.

>>7378568
This stuff is glorious. Picked some up in the UK. The younger stuff is great for mixing.
>>
>>7378499
Absolutely this.
>>
>>7378568
I was unaware we were at war with cuba
>>
>>7378772
It's probably a Canadian who buys booze at the LCBO and thinks his 2 weeks a year in a gated Varadero hotel qualifies him as a Real Traveller and he's afraid he might have to share that hotel with Americans six months from now.

Puerto Rican and Cuban rums are more similar than embargo fetishists are willing to admit. Most people who drink rum realize that HC 7 and Bacardi 8 are essentially interchangeable, the only way you're gonna know which is which is if you literally tasted them side by side. If you want something that legitimately stands out look to the French Caribbean rhums instead.
>>
Guys I bought a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal Rum and nobody wants to come over to drink it

do i go solo?
>>
>>7378811
Add ginger beer.
>>
>>7378811
If you like getting hammered, i'd say go for it.
>>
>>7378563
Its one of those that taste like vanilla/fake flavoring. If you like sickly vanilla taste, you'd enjoy it and most other spiced rum.
>>
>>7378568
This one is ok as well. I've never had a bacardi product that didn't taste like nail polish remover, but then again, that's just me. Also i'm the same guy who posted about anniversario, eldorado, and smugglers cove, so i'm pretty spoiled flavor-wise.
>>
>>7378458
I like grilled meat with rum, I often do fire/bbq cooked chicken.
>>
>>7378855
stores closed dont have it

>>7378862
i dont but i want to taste it
>>
File: barbancourt 4 yr.jpg (81 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
barbancourt 4 yr.jpg
81 KB, 500x500
This stuff is super good, especially at about $21 for the 4-year-old and $25 for the 8-year-old.

Much better than Bacardi etc. at only a couple bucks more.
>>
>>7377410
>feels its wrong that too many threads are about one specific kind of liquor
>makes thread about one specific kind of liquor

m8.
>>
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 225x225
Have a friend bring this to me from Mexico. Good stuff
>>
File: Smith_Cross.jpg (52 KB, 612x816) Image search: [Google]
Smith_Cross.jpg
52 KB, 612x816
>>7377410
>Not drinking high ester Jamaican Wedderburn rum

Dude, this shit is funky and fruity as hell. I am a rum snob. AMA.
>>
File: plantation.png (429 KB, 501x660) Image search: [Google]
plantation.png
429 KB, 501x660
>>7378377
I agree.
>>
how do you even drink straight rum?

I always use it as a mixer, but drank straight it tastes far too strong for me compared to vodka and whiskey
>>
>>7379013
I enjoy straight whisky and rum, but vodka tastes like hand sanitizer and is barely fit for mixed drinks.

That means we must fight to the death.
>>
I dont really enjoy the taste of whiskey and was wondering if i would like rum. I usually just use it as a mixer so im not sure if i would like it straight.
What "better" rum should i look into?
The ones ive been watching are: Old Pascar dark, Rhum negrita, Goslings black seal, Diplomatica Reserva and Plantation barbados grande reserve.

Its a shame liquor is so expensive where im from and the rum selection bit shitty
>>
File: cacique (1).jpg (34 KB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
cacique (1).jpg
34 KB, 350x400
superior caribbean rum
>>
File: 10cane.jpg (45 KB, 660x450) Image search: [Google]
10cane.jpg
45 KB, 660x450
10Cane was GOAT....ashamed they abruptly quit making it last year
>>
>>7379406

Wait WHAT, that was my go to at bars.

Damn.

On an unrelated note I was talking about Berkshire Mountain Distillery who makes the 'Ragged Mountain Rum' from western MA and I also wanted to shout out Bully Boy distillery in Boston, Short Path on the north shore, and Dirty Water in Plymouth.

It's super nice to be in a region with lots of craft distilleries and i hope they stand up to snuff and arent just a hipster meme.
>>
File: Hamilton-Rums1.jpg (195 KB, 392x523) Image search: [Google]
Hamilton-Rums1.jpg
195 KB, 392x523
>>7377410

The rums that Hamilton puts out are God-tier, IMO.
>>
are there really no dark rums meant for drinking straight? I like beer and coffee as black as I can get it, but apparently dark rum is only for mixing.
>>
>>7379670
That is not true at all.
>>
>>7378407
Wray and Nephew Overproof tastes like rotten bananas to me. I can still drink it but I definitely notice the aftertaste
>>
>>7379437
Oh dude! I like visiting Boston. There is this place I go to called "Social Wines." I Purchased every craft distillery product I could find and brought them back with me. I've been following Short Path Distillery on instagram since they first started. I really like their gin. A lot of fresh lemon and citrus.
>>
>>7379707
That is the style of a true Jamaican rum, friend! Funky bananas!
>>
>>7379705
what should I look for then? I want something with wood barrel and molasses taste.
>>
>>7379748
Papas Pilar.
>>
File: rum_mou1.jpg (89 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
rum_mou1.jpg
89 KB, 540x720
I love this stuff for shots, it's ridiculously smooth
Old Monk is better for sipping/mixing though
>>
File: GoslingsBlackSealbottle (2).jpg (4 MB, 1074x3748) Image search: [Google]
GoslingsBlackSealbottle (2).jpg
4 MB, 1074x3748
>>7379748

If you want to try something with a heavy molasses flavour, I would suggest Goslings Black Seal. It's not woody, but it is very rich on the molasses flavour. It's also very reasonably priced.
>>
>>7378408
Not spiced at all and not really great for sipping neat, but has a very rich taste that mixes very well with stronger flavored drinks like Coke and ginger ale.
>>
>>7378563
Among spiced rums it's supposedly great, but I hated it.
Was adequate for mixing with Coke, but nothing else, and nowhere near as good as Gosling's (my fave so far).
>>
>>7379670
The aged rums are.
El Dorado 12, for one, is fucking tasty, and Barbancourt 8 is very nice as well.
>>
Uni Student here. Are there any recommendations for a nice rum that can be used as shots/ to get fairly hammered? I know that typically a nice rum is a great drink to savor, but sometimes I like to take my enjoyment at a faster pace :P
>>
>>7380059

If you enjoy a sweet rum with lots of molasses flavour, then Black Seal is actually pretty nice for sipping neat. You're right about it being a great mixing rum though. It's the classic choice for making a Dark & Stormy.
>>
>>7380108
>:P
underage b& detected
>>
>>7380108
Sailor Jerry's, Captain Morgan if you want spiced rum or just whatever the fuck bacardi if you want something that tastes like fruit
>>
>>7380024

I like Black Seal a lot, the 151 version is also great.
>>
>>7380108
Brugal and Mount Gay are good mid-range choices. Spiced and coconut rums are often low alcohol so they won't burn when you take shots but you'll regret all the sugar and additives the next morning. Or maybe you won't. I never really got hangovers when I was an 18 year old college student.
>>
>>7380116
Freshly 21 in January :)
>>
>>7380007
I really like their Black Barrel rum both for mixing and drinking straight, stands to reason that the Eclipse would be good as well. Might give it a try since I assume it's somewhat cheaper.

Another one of my favorites is the whole Real McCoy line. I'll admit that I don't have a super extensive experience with rum but their silver 3 year stuff is the best white rum I've tried, and the 5 year is good as well. It's a bit more expensive than average (like $28 for a fifth of the 3 year) but worth it in my opinion.
>>
>>7380157

I got the 5 year for Christmas from someone. Surprisingly good, i thought it would be very generic. But it was quite nice.
>>
File: mgxo.jpg (95 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
mgxo.jpg
95 KB, 960x1280
I have been into whiskey (SIngle Malt, Bourbon, Rye, whatever) for a while but have been branching out lately. I have had some pretty high quality (and also shit quality) tequila, mezcal, vodka, brandy (calvados, armangac), but not really rum.

I have had a couople, but I wasn't a fan of the super sweet vanilla/caramel taste that I got in some rums like this one >>7378564

Would Mount Gay XO be a good first sipping rum? Obviously I know it will be sweet, and I don't mind that, I am just not a fan of the aforementioned flavors.

I have heard that Jamaican rum can be funky and different but I think I have only seen Appleton Estate 12 near me, and I never heard it described that way.
>>
>>7381938
The Jamaican rums that are described as funky are generally not sipping quality.
>>
>>7381945
Can't say I have ever heard anybody say that before. What about this one >>7378975 or other similar Jamaican pot still rums. They have a following of people who enjoy them, or so I can gather from the internet or even just this thread.
>>
>>7378979

Your watch band is untucked, my friend.
>>
I got a handle of Captain Morgan the other day because I'm a pleb, what should I be getting instead?
>>
>>7378979
>fat hands
>backlit keyboard
I used to drink plantation rum when I lived in a nice yuppie neighborhood.

I moved to a gentrifying neighborhood to save money and although the rum selection is even better, I always think back at plantation and it reminds me of wealthy women in expensive jogging pants.

Now thanks to 4chan I think of a fat guy with fat guy hands drinking rum in a cum-stained MLP sweatshirt and, what is that, I guess probably a Raketa or something?

Goodbye, nice memories.
>>
>>7382026
Captain Morgan is pretty good.
If you like it you could try Mount Gay, Sailor Jerry, Kraken.
>>
>>7382041
lol kraken. Just add sugar to any rum and you'll get that. it's not good senpai.
>>
>>7382041
I think Sailor Jerry is going to be my next purchase
>>
File: 457205.jpg (8 KB, 274x548) Image search: [Google]
457205.jpg
8 KB, 274x548
I recommend it. Not ven expensive.

Ron del Barrilito.
>>
>>7382026
As far as rail brands go, Captain is a hell of a lot better than Bacardi. Lambs is better than Bacardi too.

If all youre looking for is something to mix with cola and a slice of lime, you're fine with what you have.

If you're interested in sipping rums or more interesting cocktails, then there are better ones out there. Do you typically drink white, Amber, or dark rums anon? We can make recommendations based on what you already prefer.
>>
>>7383499
>Captain is a hell of a lot better than Bacardi
Trolltastic garbage. Bacardi is like Cuervo tequila or Mondavi wine, hipsters like to shit on it because it's an enormous and heavily advertised brand, and most people's exposure to it is bottom-shelf crap. They can and do make top-shelf stuff, it's just that nobody bothers with it because it doesn't have prestige, and let's face it: people don't taste with their mouths, they taste with their eyeballs, and their eyeballs see the words on the label and assume it has to suck
>>
>>7378975

Could you recommend a nice agricole for me to try? Decent but not bank breaking. Entry level, if you will.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>7383506

I know Bacardi has premium offerings. But I was specifically talking about bar rail rum. Captain Morgan and Lambs both make better rail rum than Bacardi rail rum.

You're pretty assblasted about this. Why don't you relax and have a drink?
>>
>>7378631
Makes a killer hemingway daquri
>>
>>7379044

You shouldn't have been such a raging alcoholic and drunk the hand sanitizer anon. It would have allowed you to still enjoy vodka mixes without the weird psychological hangups.
>>
>>7383509
Rhum Barbancourt from Haiti is probably the easiest to find
>>
>>7381938
Yep if you enjoy neat bourbon the XO will be right up your alley, its a very bourbony rum and one of the best value rums IMO
>>
File: 0008230175002_A.jpg (10 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
0008230175002_A.jpg
10 KB, 380x380
I'm not a big fan of rum neat, but pic related is easily the GOAT rum for cocktails and mixed drinks.
I had this stuff recommended to me by a grizzled old bartender from Cuba when I was in Miami one time. It's all I'll ever put in a Mojito or anything like that anymore.
>>
Check out Diplomatico from Venezuela and El Dorado from Guyana. Tons of bang for your buck there.
>>
>Bacardi 151
Any good or what?
>>
File: Diplomatico-ron-Ambassador.jpg (63 KB, 600x942) Image search: [Google]
Diplomatico-ron-Ambassador.jpg
63 KB, 600x942
Venezuelan Rum is best rum
>>
File: Copy-of-Bodegon-ron.png (145 KB, 563x318) Image search: [Google]
Copy-of-Bodegon-ron.png
145 KB, 563x318
>>7383607
IDEM
>>
File: independence_punch1.jpg (71 KB, 752x1200) Image search: [Google]
independence_punch1.jpg
71 KB, 752x1200
>>7383575

Buy Wray & Nephew Overproof instead.
>>
>>7378458
Maduras, bananas fosters. Ice cream and rum is really good.
>>
File: product_dc_nelson_lg_whole.gif (33 KB, 305x354) Image search: [Google]
product_dc_nelson_lg_whole.gif
33 KB, 305x354
The Royal Navy once had the option of being paid in rum, often Pusser's. I personally prefer Mount Gay, but mostly because I broke a commemorative porcelain decanter (pic related) of Pusser's when I was a kid. My parents tanned my hide good.
>>
>>7383746
You were lucky. If you had done that in the Royal Navy you'd have got both sodomy and the lash.
>>
finishing off some 151 right now. nothing will mask this sickly sweet flavor.
>>
Not favorite, but definitely favorite for the price and I don't feel bad mixing it.
>>
This is definitely my favorite sipping rum so far.
>>
File: 1040506x.jpg (23 KB, 225x540) Image search: [Google]
1040506x.jpg
23 KB, 225x540
>>7377410
Tortuga is best m8
>>
>>7380108
>Are there any recommendations for a nice rum that can be used as shots/ to get fairly hammered?
The thing about shots is aftertaste/smoothness to deal with.When you swallow, you now have the flavor. Some people will tell you some drinks are too expensive or precious to down in a shot, but I say buy what you like, and if that's aged or dark, go for it. In places where alcohol is spendy...natives do shots to ensure they get their moneys worth when out (Bermuda, Iceland for example). In these cases, 151 and high proofs are popular, or vodka, and liqueurs of lower proof are not. They follow their drinks wth a chaser to sip, like juice or soda. I don't recommend more than 1-2 shots, upfront, and 1/hour max to keep the buzz. Anymore than that, and it's abuse on your body (and dangerous). Part of the mixer experience is to pace yourself and keep yourself hydrated both. If you really don't like alcohol flavor, rum isn't your go to drink.

If you adore shots, get into good tequila. Many brands are quite affordable in bulk or stores like Total Wine. As long as says blue agave and doesn't advertise $$$$, could be a deal! Hornitos reposado is a good starting point. If you didn't know, you don't need a membership to buy at Costco and other discount locations. Again, buy large bottles and you no longer worry about prices for the most part/drink.
>>
File: I am the liqour.gif (715 KB, 608x336) Image search: [Google]
I am the liqour.gif
715 KB, 608x336
>>7383876
>I don't recommend more than 1-2 shots, upfront, and 1/hour max to keep the buzz. Anymore than that, and it's abuse on your body (and dangerous).

get off muh board faggot
>>
>>7379748
Any of the aged ones.
>>
File: barbancourt.jpg (241 KB, 951x1280) Image search: [Google]
barbancourt.jpg
241 KB, 951x1280
>>7383557
>It's all I'll ever put in a Mojito or anything like that anymore.
To me, the darker the better. White rum is for people who don't like to taste the actual sugarcane. DonQ is puerto rican pride, but white rum is bleh, and their brand has an old name but it's nothing older than 1999. If your bartender was old Cuban, he had a thing against Castro, and just serving what was on hand "tradtionally" for the mojito. I order a mount gay, flor de cana, myers dark...all easily found at any bar.

If he wanted to get you hooked on the good stuff, he'd have reached under the bar and pulled out a personal stash of Barbancourt.
>>
>>7383809
>added sugar and colour
yeh ill pass, fancy bottles are not enough for me
>>
File: sailor-j.jpg (65 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
sailor-j.jpg
65 KB, 450x450
Because fuck you, that's why.
>>
>We are, we are, we are, we are, we are the engineers
>We can, we can, we can, we can demolish forty beers
>Drink rum, drink rum, drink rum, drink rum and come along with us
>'Cause we don't give a damn for any damn man who don't give a damn for us
>>
File: kraken_bottle.jpg (57 KB, 550x801) Image search: [Google]
kraken_bottle.jpg
57 KB, 550x801
It's so fucking delicious, is regular spiced rum this good?
>>
File: been-bottle.png (35 KB, 182x660) Image search: [Google]
been-bottle.png
35 KB, 182x660
Drinking this right now, good shit, taste a bit like brown sugar or caramel.

It is so much fucking better than bundaberg rum, christ I don't know why everyone drinks it in this country.
>>
This was my first and to date only higher tier rum. I liked it a lot.
>>
>>7382179
This shit is actually really good. I travel between the U.S. and Puerto Rico a lot and you can get this stuff for dirt cheap.
>>
>>7386198
God tier indeed. Dude at total wine directed me straght to it, was 25 at the time. Amazing rum is so much cheaper than amazing tequila or whiskey.
>>
File: sangsom_whiskey-large.jpg (49 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
sangsom_whiskey-large.jpg
49 KB, 600x600
More of a guilty pleasure, can never erase those feelings of my first thailandtrip
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.