[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tea Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: OCtea.jpg (110 KB, 1323x993) Image search: [Google]
OCtea.jpg
110 KB, 1323x993
New tea thread! What are you guys drinking? Did you order anything recently? Got any recent favorites?
>>
Last thread
>>7340975

We were discussing making our own /ck/-approve online tea shop list.

>>7373373
>I think we could make one, I've been into tea in-depth for a few years now and I see other people in the threat who know as much or more than me pretty often. We could nominate vendors and if anyone has a reason they shouldn't be listed they give it, and if the reason is good, they're taken off the list.

>>7373579
When it comes to green and white tea, Palais Des Thes and Ippodo are my go to's
>>
File: cap.png (188 KB, 943x391) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
188 KB, 943x391
Y/N?

What is the MemePad™ of Kettles?
>>
File: Teavana-Logo.jpg (31 KB, 450x481) Image search: [Google]
Teavana-Logo.jpg
31 KB, 450x481
> We were discussing making our own /ck/-approve online tea shop list.

Pic related is all you need.
>>
>matcha
>lapsang souchong
>jasmine green
>sencha
>genmaicha
>earl grey
>spiced black
>assam
>white buds
>>
>>7375199
For Japanese green tea o-cha is also pretty good I think
>>
Amazon has free delivery over
>>
>>7375245
Is that a suggestion for the shit-tier list?
I'm sure we can find more than just teavana.
>>
>>7375221
that's the difference?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017NXZOES
>>
>>7375251
Genmaicha is truly something spoecial.
>>
Red Rose Canadian Breakfast and Taiwanese High mountain green.
Would have some Nice second flush Darjeeling but its too cold to shop.
Has anyone tried the Darjeeling green?
>>
>>7375256
Can vouch for them. I'm inexperienced with this stuff, but the tea I got from O-Cha was the best green tea I've ever had. Their site has helpful info for a beginner as well, and their Kyusus look legit too.

>>7375221
I don't have that particular model, but the one I do have works great. No fucking around, it just werks. Haven't manually tested temp accuracy but it's surely close enough.
>>
>>7375435
>>7375362
so what's better Arendo or Cuisinart? Since the latter is more expensive RRP then I would guess getting an "almost new" off ebay is better value.
>>
>>7375697
Which has the least plastic inside?
>>
Had 2 cups of strong Scottish Breakfast with milk this morning, and will probaably switch over to green tea soon, most likely Sencha. I'm out of my Yorkshire tea, which is what I usually have for breakfast, but the Scottish Breakfast is nice too.
I switch to green tea for the rest of the day, but in the evening, I'll probably make a chai latte with golden tipped assam.
>>
>>7375376
Why is there so much love for genmaicha. It's just some rice put into the tea, how is that special?
>>
File: fuck you.png (29 KB, 126x180) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.png
29 KB, 126x180
>>7375176
>>
File: tumblr_mawas79SMm1r5pmjj.gif (185 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mawas79SMm1r5pmjj.gif
185 KB, 250x188
>>7375245

Teavana uses artificial flavoring.

It's not even fucking tea, for all we know they're probably spraying each batch of tea with highly synthetic chemicals to give it a perfume flavor. Fuck that company, boycott them until they go fully organic.
>>
>>7375710

What's the difference between English, Irish, and Scottish breakfast tea? Can you even tell the difference?
>>
>>7377315
It just has a very earthy and green flavour to it, which is hard to find otherwise.
>>
>>7375199
>>7375245
>>7375710
Where do you guys get Assam tea? Is there someplace less expensive then Upton?
>>
I recently tried red hibiscus lemon grass and sun dried orange. I just made it and let it cold like an ice tea, put it some sugar and served!
>>
Which one?
>Canton Tea Yellow Gold Oolong 50g
> Canton Tea Jade Tips 50g
>Tea Makers of London Yunnan Dian Hong 50g
>Tea Makers of London Houjicha 125g
>Basilur Leaf of Ceylon Dimbula Region 100g
just a trolley filler
>>
>>7377461
I dont drink Assam, but what do you mean cheaper? Assam on Upton looks already cheap as fuck.

Just a reminder: tea bags in supermarkets aka 100% dust is priced ~5€/100g. Upton sells real whole leafs tea and yet it's about the same price aka cheap as fuck.

Any lower price would be suspicious as fuck.
>>
>>7377444
organic crap is still crap
>>
>>7375176
I'm drinking ginseng tea for the first time in my life today. Really enjoying my cup so far. This is also the first time I'm drinking something that isn't rooibos or chamomile.
>>
>>7377450
nayrt, but scottish tea is the strongest out of all of them. I personally prefer Scottish and Irish over English, though I can't say much for English since I haven't had it in ages.
>>
>>7377512
Next time, try putting wildflower honey instead of sugar. Honey makes sweet and fruity teas taste better than using sugar on it I found.
>>
For vendors, I'd say Yunnan sourcing is the best for Chinese teas. There are other vendors that are also great but enormous selection, general quality, and most importantly best bang for your buck YS is excellent. I highly recommend their wuyi oolongs. Huge variety and they are all at least decent. Their black teas are also excellent. They are mostly known for puerhs but that isn't really my cup of tea. My next shipment will be greens/whites so I can review a few next time I get them.
>>
Do any of you guys drink have experience with herbal teas? I mean in the sense of drinking the stuff to get some kind of physiological effect. I have a glass stomach and insomnia; curious if some teas could help with that nonsense. I've tried chamomile for the latter, and while nice it doesn't pack much punch.
>>
File: PSH.jpg (212 KB, 1296x730) Image search: [Google]
PSH.jpg
212 KB, 1296x730
>>7380753

When I want to increase my IQ levels I drink Green Rooibos, and if I want to increase my confidence and testosterone I drink Irish Breakfast tea, and if I want to burn off my metabolism I sip on some chai.
>>
File: 072213.jpg (293 KB, 727x727) Image search: [Google]
072213.jpg
293 KB, 727x727
I don't post here often, but I have no idea how to brew this tea to the deliciousness that a local Vietnamese place makes it. Mine comes out a lighter brown color and the flavor isn't as pronounced, while theirs has a lemon-y flavor and comes out clear yellow. Can I get some brewing advice? I know its this exact brand because I asked them to show me which one they use.
>>
>>7381038
They probably add lemon
>>
File: Untitled.png (509 KB, 1076x368) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
509 KB, 1076x368
>>7381043
But how do they get the color on the right, mine keeps turning out like the one on the left. I'm a complete novice to tea.
>>
>>7381061
Not sure, judging by color alone you might be steeping too long or at too high of a temperature, but that would also give you a stronger flavor, which you don't have
>>
File: 1434203988147.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1434203988147.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
>>7380753
Could try buying kratom that makes you pretty chill. Just mix it into standard tea I liekd to put it into earl grey. Haven't had it in a while though.
>>
File: 1440233468118.jpg (61 KB, 465x512) Image search: [Google]
1440233468118.jpg
61 KB, 465x512
>buy variety tea
>one flavor is called "Irish Breakfast"
>taste like potatoes
>>
I want to try puting milk and stuff to my puer, any ideas what stuff should i look for?
>>
>>7381423
>I want to try puting milk and stuff to my puer
Don't.

There is not a single reason to put Milk in any tea, ever. Sugar can be acceptable for British shit and Tuareg, but that's about it.

Well, there is the Indian Spiced tea that can be with milk. But, again it's a very specific tea and in this case you care about the spices more than you actually care about the tea.

But Pu-erh? Wtf, no. No milk, no sugar. If it's bitter brew for a shorter time or find a less bitter tea, but for god's sake, no fucking milk.
>>
>>7381662

You have the Britfag thing wrong. It's a drop of milk with no sugar.

Tea should never be sweetened, unless it's iced tea or bubble tea. Certain tisanes are OK sweetened under the right circumstances, like peppermint or chamomile with honey when you have a sore throat.
>>
>>7381716
The truth is that I don't care about britfag things.

I don't usually drink any and when I do, it's again, no sugar, no milk.
>>
How does one pronounce Puer? Also, I've been reading pic related, pretty fucking interesting read.
>>
Jasmine tea tastes like warm grape juice
>>
>>7383670
Poo-air I guess, with my atrocious french accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV_SDnYZVYo&feature=youtu.be&t=14s
https://youtu.be/9otCIZGlR4M?t=1m28s

For legit chinese you can search in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wppZkl3c1Z4&list=PLaAz0N9UlbfP4vpWGg8Pp-jI1jkV6y5Jt
But I couldn't find a time where they say Pu-erh out loud.
>>
I need a couple good suggestions for:

White tea
A fruity tea (not too fruity though)
Green tea
A red tea

Preferably something I could buy online, but Ill check if my teahouse has them as well
>>
>>7383784
>White tea
Silver needle obviously.

>A fruity tea (not too fruity though)
No idea.

>Green tea
Long jing, a good sench, gyokuro, …

>A red tea
Lapsang souchong, a good yunnan, ...
>>
>>7383836
good taste, my friend.
>>
>>7383842
I would add qimen for red tea but I just bought my first one and still didn't taste it…
>>
File: Puar&OolongArePals.png (238 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Puar&OolongArePals.png
238 KB, 640x480
>>7383670
"pwar", like the Dragonball character.
>>
>>7383670
pwhere, pwar, poo-heir are all acceptable. i say pwhere because pwar sounds like a metal band and poo-heir sounds like an Indian trust fund child
>>
>>7383895
>pwar sounds like a metal band

Too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M60yeyFBCgs#t=10s
>>
>>7383925
>then it's pwar
>>
>>7375245
Crepes tea house has some really good deals and a pretty modest variety
>>
>>7375245
What's your guy's opinions on Dobra tea? It's a little pricey, but has good variety and quality from my experience.
>>
>>7383895
You mean gwar?
>>
>>7384045
that is actually what i was thinking. like a gwar cover band.
>>7383925
lots of different dialects in ching chong china land. gotta admit i like the way that dude aspirated the p. like the chinese version of stewie saying cool whip
>>
>>7384036
Well I have no experience with them but just by browsing a bit…

>http://www.dobratea.com/lapsang-souchong/
>only western style brewing instructions
>One infusion.
>Lapsang souchong
>at that price
>brew only one time
Ahahah, wtf? They want you to use your tea as fast as you can to buy more, I guess but still. Even the most shitty loose tea from the most shitty seller can be brewed multiple time.
>>
>>7384074
I never bought online because there's a store right near me, but they offer multiple infusions. I'm on my third infusion of Hojicha from them. Can't say one way or the other about brewing instructions though.
>>
>>7383670

I like to call it Pure tea.

Pu-erh sounds goofy.
>>
File: wallpaper-271681.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2000) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-271681.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2000
Been drinking a lot of Honeybush lately, and I got to say it's probably the best herbal tea out there on the market.
>>
>>7380753
ginger, chamomile, valerian root. lemongrasss will complement the flavour of ginger and valerian root while chamomile will go well with hibiscus or rose hips. Ginger for your tummy, valerian root will knock you out.
>>
>>7384533
A mix of ginger, lemongrass, and valerian sounds perfect actually. Thanks a bunch anon.
>>
>>7383925
Sounds like someone speaking backwards japanese.
>>
anything other than honey in tea is for barbarians desu.
>>
What should I buy for halfway decent/cheap loose tea?
I got a tea infuser as a gift recently and have almost used up the loose tea that my gay friend talked me into getting at Teavana. I have no desire to go back there, as an 80 year old asian woman and a young attractive saleswoman tried to sell me 80 dollars worth of shit.
>>
>>7384686
Go to an arabic market. Get Ahmad tea. It's really solid for the price.
>>
File: rooibossmadagascarvanilla.jpg (33 KB, 500x307) Image search: [Google]
rooibossmadagascarvanilla.jpg
33 KB, 500x307
>>7375176
Been really enjoying Madagascar Vanilla Rooibos in half milk, half water.

Green with jasmine or any light fruity note is always a pleasure

English Breakfast with a bit of cream and sugar is the GOAT morning tea

Before bed I've been enjoying a very quickly steeped cup of one bag chamomile, one bag blueberry herbal and it's been the perfect way to end the night
>>
>>7384746
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
Just bought Matcha and samples of
>DEW DROP JASMINE - Mo Li Mao Jian Cha
>GRAND GENMAICHA
>GREEN COIL TEA - Jiangsu Bi Luo Chun, Green Snail Spring Tea
>IMPERIAL GREEN - Shifeng Long Jing Cha, Dragonwell Green Tea
>MISTY PEAK - Huangshan Maofeng, Yellow Mountain Fur Peak
>MOUNTAIN GREEN - You Ji Cha
>WHITE MONKEY - Bai Mao Hou
from Chinalife. Going to be interesting since I've only been drinking Ahmads Gunpowder so far.
>>
>>7385013
>I've only been drinking Ahmads Gunpowder so far
>Chinalife
That's a fucking huge step.
I hope you can actually apprehend the quality.
>>
>>7385013
Welcome to the big leagues, son.
>>
File: 1453940571239.gif (997 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
1453940571239.gif
997 KB, 500x475
>>7385445
>>7385485
I'm a fast learner. I think I'll appreciate it.
>>
>>7384066
puer in different dialects is usually something completely off the wall like "pu-lai" or "pu-nah" because the characters are read entirely differently.
>>
>>7384746
mah nigga. english blend no1 is phenomenal. earl gray is also great
>>
Tried my hand preparing my first cup of matcha today. Didn't whisk nearly enough as I should have. It wasn't frothy at all. Oh well. Maybe next time.
>>
>>7387522
the good part about tea is that there's always another cup.
>>
>>7387522
Just buy a small container with a lid and shake it vigorously.
>>
File: 3.jpg (10 KB, 192x256) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
10 KB, 192x256
>>7380906
>burn off my metabolism
>>
>>7381038
>>7381070
Working off of this - try using more leaves. Test it at your usual temp. but dont steep too long.
Or steep at a lower temp, but longer.
>>
Can you mix fruit tea and black tea? Loose leaf that is.
>>
Which brand of green tea is the superior one?
>>
>>7388747
The one without a "brand".
>>
>>7375176
This http://www.kmdelikatesy.pl/node/25095

Pardon the language but can't be arsed to find an English link. All in all it's neat. At first I steeped it too strong to the point it was bitter but a slight correction in the dosage and time made all the difference. My only gripe is that it's not full leaf and because of that the extraction can make the tea too strong too fast and bitter if I forget to time it. However, thanks to its different steeping requirements I'm learning how to do good tea.

I've also Twinnings Lady Grey in a can and http://www.ahmadtea.com/darjeeling-tea.html . The Darjeeling is interesting, I have to say. It really does taste kind of sweet without sugar. Adding more than a teaspoon ruins its unique taste. If I brew it too long the tannins spring up to the front. I had to get used to darjeeling to appreciate it.

I also had some Tetley Earl Grey in bags and it was godawful. Tasted like regular tea with no discerning bergamot taste or scent.
>>
>>7381061
>But how do they get the color on the right
They might be steeping a batch that's already been steeped before.
>>
>>7389423
Fellow Polishfag here, do you have any experience with Demmers Teehaus? They seem to have a nice variety of tea.
>>
>>7388734
Tea is mostly about experimentation. If mixing fruit tea and black tea is something you enjoy, then there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
>>
I bought hornimans tea (classic) and it tastes like spinach, and not delicious spinach either, when spinach tastes foul? Yeah that taste.

Therefore I ask about nice teas to have that are readily available everywhere.
>>
>>7388747
It's not so much about branding as it is about the merchant. A vendor's reputation and general quality is more important than a 'brand'. I can personally recommend Yunnan Sourcing for all types of tea as their quality control is good, prices low and variety in stock is varied.
>>
File: 1426342264386.jpg (22 KB, 299x299) Image search: [Google]
1426342264386.jpg
22 KB, 299x299
>go to local coffee/tea house
>ask for a green tea vanilla chai
>pinches some leaves and roughly squeezes them into a small as hell infuser
>chucks the shit into boiling water
>no sugar or cream offered
>charges 5.50 usd for it
>mfw
>>
>>7389592
>>go to local coffee/tea house
ok
>>ask for a green tea vanilla chai
shit taste desu
>>pinches some leaves and roughly squeezes them into a small as hell infuser
ouch
>>chucks the shit into boiling water
ouch
>>no sugar or cream offered
Of course not! Why would you want that?
>>charges 5.50 usd for it
ouch
>>
>>7380753
dude, any caffeine-containing drink is not going to cure your insomnia.
tea has zero benefits to it, no matter what the crazy cat lady at the tea house told you. it's just tasty.

>inb4 m-muh anti-oxidants
just eat fucking regularly and you won't ever need extra vitamins, anti-oxidants or other supplements. if you're deficient in anything, it's your diet that's fucked up, not your lack of tea.
>>
File: 1453349141188.png (362 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1453349141188.png
362 KB, 700x700
>>7389592
>green tea vanilla tea
>>
>>7389606
>Of course not! Why would you want that?

because i knew i was in for a shitty time. might as well go all the way.
>>
>>7389620
>you don't need anti-oxidants!

Enjoy your free radicals and cancer.
>>
>>7389645
>you don't need EXTRA anti-oxidants
Anon in charge of reading.
>>
>>7389651
You always need extra anti-oxidants ya dingus, that's what they're for.
>>
>>7389620
>tea has zero benefits to it
Are you actually retarded? Like medically retarded? Tea is a plant. If you consume this plant it's a part of your diet. Why are you separating tea from diet? Do you separate oranges from diet as well? What about kale? Why are you saying antioxidants from tea are unnecessary when they're necessary to your diet? Is only antioxidats from oranges and kale counting? Also, are you denying that green tea contains polyphenols like epigallocatechin gallate, epicatechin gallate, epicatechins and flavanols? Are you also denying that these polyphenols impact your biology? If you deny this, are you also denying that the phytochemicals caffeine and theanine impact your biology?
>>
>>7389762
no amount of tea is ever going to make up for those cheeseburgers and ramen, my dear americlap.
>>
>>7389774
>still spouting shit
Kill yourself you cancerous fuck.
>>
>>7389803
Just add his trip to the filter and you won't need to read his trash anymore.
>>
>>7389762
Just ignore him and everybody like him. I don't know how it happened, but somehow it became cool to dismiss the health benefits of anything and everything. I guess it is because of shows like Dr. Oz or Wholefoods or women and yogurt or something, I have no clue, I am sure they don't either.

Anyway, according to them, tea, antioxidants, vegetables that are popular, probiotics in any form, and pretty much anything that is touted as healthy at all is a big sham.
>>
>>7389803
>>7389805
>>7389819
He's right you know? Tea benefits are near zero.
Some teas, especially smokey tea may even be unhealthy.

But the most important part is…

If you really care about tea, you should care about taste not the fucking benefits.

It's not a fucking trend it's in the tea thread since day zero. Tea culture is not about health. Period.
>>
>>7389472
Unfortunately, no. I buy my tea in supermarkets and the like. I don't order my tea online, yet. Once I cover all the brands I find I haven't tried then I might start buying online.
>>
>>7389831
Put your trip back on, I just filtered you.
>>
>>7389831
I drink tea for the taste, however, I am not some tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist anti reverse ironic 4chan hipster like yourself who feels the need to deny the health benefits of things that have been objectively proven to be good for you that objectively have been proven to be objectively present in tea leaves.

It is a plant.

Vegetables are plants too.

Some of them are good for you.

Like Camellia Sinensis.

Let me just re state somethings quickly.

I don't care if it is healthy or not, I drink it for the taste. Stop posting
>>
>>7389839
I don't samefag desu.
I'm the frenchfag that is making a teashop listing.

Tripanon is right. Care about the taste, not the health.
>>
>>7389861
>Some of them are good for you.
Some of them are really bad.

There is no serious study about benefits of tea. The thing is that we really don't know. And we really don't CARE.
>>
>>7389865
Why don't you worry about yourself instead? I care about both the taste and health. French faggot. Also if you think tea culture is only about taste and not health then you don't know ANYTHING about Chinese culture.
>>
>>7389874
>There is no serious study about benefits of tea
Are you fucking batshit crazy? Are you implying the ponyphenols in tea aren't heavily studied? What kind of special moron are you?
>>
going to the tea shop today, rec me some caffeine free tea, something cozy that isn't chamomile or mint
>>
>>7389879
ponyphenols are heavily studied, yes. ponyphenols in tea are not.
there are no real scientific studies about tea that draw any meaningful conclusions. by all means, enjoy your tea, it's awesome. but don't think you're drinking some kind of miracle elixir.
>>
>>7389910
You forgot to drop your trip, he has you filtered remember?
>>
>>7389915
it's not for his sake. if he wants to be a manchild and drop out of discussions because we don't fellate him for his ability to namedrop fancy chemical names, then that's his problem. i'm just hoping some other poor schmuck don't get suckered into believing all the new-age bullshit about tea that floats around.
>>
>>7389900
low caffeine or no caffeine? I honestly can't think of any non-caffeinated teas that aren't chamomile.
>>
>>7389960
Rooibos doesn't contain any caffeine either.
>>
>>7389973
That's because Rooibos isn't a tea you fucking pleb.
Rooibos is a legume, tea is an evergreen shrub.
Stop posting if you don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>7389989
Who said we we're exclusively discussing tea? This thread is full of herbal tea as well and they even mentioned chamomile. Stop posting if you can't pull your head out of your ass.
>>
i recently bought mate. (dunno if it is considered tea, but maybe yes if rooibos is?).
anyway i like it a lot.

next i'd like to try russian caravan. it is not flavored (like bergamot oil or something), isn't it?
>>
>>7389989
>implying chamomile is a tea

>>7389992
see
>>7389900
>caffeine free tea

Also if you want caffeine-free infusion. Anything but mate will do fine.
>>
>>7389997
Considered a herbal tea.
>>
>>7389999
No tea is caffeine free unless it's decaffeinated.
>>
File: te.png (82 KB, 503x529) Image search: [Google]
te.png
82 KB, 503x529
Did I do good?
>>
>>7390006
Yes and it's done with dangerous chemicals, I know.

Of course we can discuss herbal tea, but not sure if anon was asking about herbal tea.
>>
>>7389999
Nice quarts. Chamomile is the only non-caffeinated tea I consider non-herbal. It's something about the texture, I guess.
>>
>>7390000
Magestic
>>
>>7390014
I didn't get the impression that he was only requesting real tea since he mentioned chamomile in the same sentance. I don't think people should be drinking actual tea if they don't want to consume caffeine since it's a part of it. The thing is you tend to drink several cups of tea in one sitting while you often only drink one or maybe two cups of coffee.
>>7390016
Why do you consider it non-herbal? Chamomile is one of the most popular herbal teas around next to Rooibos.
>>
>>7389999
I never implied anything you meme loving faggot.
I suggest you educate yourself before posting further, it'll stop you looking like a cunt.
>>
>>7390050
>Why do you consider it non-herbal? Chamomile is one of the most popular herbal teas around next to Rooibos.
It's just a difference in taste, I guess. It tastes more like a traditional tea to me than other herbal teas.
>>
>>7390069
Ok, just so you know tea is the Camellia sinensis and herbal tea is what you call all the other plants infused in hot/boiling water.
>>
how much water for one tablespoon of tea
>>
>>7390361
If western style (2g of tea for 3-5 min depending on type of tea), 200ml for 2g for 3-5min.
>>
>>7390375
Ok. I think I've been using too much water relative to the amount of tea I've been steeping. And I meant to say teaspoon but giving a mass is better, thanks
>>
File: 569.jpg (54 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
569.jpg
54 KB, 500x329
I read on hachichan a year ago that a Russian czar enjoyed jam in his tea. Which tea and jams could I try this with? Raspberry jam turned into clots that look like a period in the tea and barely flavored.
>>
>>7390441
I've read Jefferson used to fart in the cup before pouring his tea because apparently the methanol gives flavor, dunno if it's true though.
>>
>>7389569
+1 for Yunnan sourcing. I haven't had any of their greens or whites though. I've tried almost all of their wuyi oolongs, tie guan yins, and half of their black teas. Any recs for greens/whites? My favorite green tea is the long ding, which almost looks like a freshly plucked leaf. Anything like that there?
>>
>>7390441
Russians traditionally enjoy a very strong black tea—like, they'll simmer the leaves on a samovar until they get a thick tea concentrate that is then watered down in the glass. See also: Turkish tea, Persian tea.

I've tried regular black tea with a bit strawberry and raspberry jams and that turned out alright.
I used the slightly waterier bits of jam rather than the gummy, clumpy bits.
>>
>>7390489

That sounds like a bad idea but since Jefferson is one of our greatest pre-Reagan presidents I'll have to give it a try!
>>
>>7391005

Not easy to come by on Spain tho.
I'm going to have a look at a delicatessen, maybe mention a few brands and see what you people think.
>>
>>7391166
I'm pretty sure Yunnan sourcing would ship to Spain dude.
>>
Q: Is there an actual good tea brand that uses tea bags? Or am I better off purchasing a teapot already?
>>
File: scan0001.jpg (404 KB, 1219x1093) Image search: [Google]
scan0001.jpg
404 KB, 1219x1093
I am in love with stashes holiday winter mint with a bit of cream.
>>
>>7391647
There is no good teabag.
Beside there is no good loose tea "brand" either.

Good tea come from a shop that doesn't sell some "brand" but that import no-brand tea from origin country.
>>
Honestly I love teavana teas and I think theyre tasty

Ive been really into bagged teas since I have to many to finish. I really like this honey lavender stuff Ive been drinking.

What do you think anons, does honey taste better in tea or regular sugar?
>>
>>7391821
>tfw you go to Teavana at the mall for free samples and that one nigga is there who insists he fill the cups and then barely puts in enough to taste it
>>
File: DeliciouslyDreamyLooseTeaHero.jpg (49 KB, 532x361) Image search: [Google]
DeliciouslyDreamyLooseTeaHero.jpg
49 KB, 532x361
I'm drinkin this currently, deliciously dreamy from T2, nice blend of flowers/fruits for bed time.
>>
>>7390014
you can decaf your own tea with that dangerous chemical known as water. just steep it for like 20 secs, pour out the water, then add more water and steep like you normally would. i don't do it but its a handy trick if you are trying to slip a roofie in a girls tea only to discover she's mormon
>>
are metal boxes like >>7381038
the best for storing tea?
would a fully airtight box be even better?

i'm currently using a cookies plastic jar.
>>
Just bought myself a Yixing clay mug with an infuser, some Darjeeling and Sencha.
Man I hope Darjeeling is as good as I have it in my mind. Sencha is the cheapest green tea variety in Asia, right?
>>
Redpill me on milk oolong, /teagen/.
It's NOT supposed to smell of milk, right? The dry leaves?
>>
>>7387522
Would a milk frother be acceptable for Matcha?
>>
>>7390441
You see, Russian jams aren't really jams per se. As in, they're not very thick, they're syrupy.
The default jam to put in your tea is raspberry. It's basically the default folk remedy for colds.
>>
>>7392794
>Yixing
Awesome dude. I haven't gotten there yet, just remember to brew one type of tea in that mug. The clay keeps residual flavors from previous steepings so it's better to use it for a single type of tea.
>Darjeeling
I mean if you got good tea it will be pretty damn good. My favorite is the first flush black tea. I also really like their oolongs but they can be expensive. I haven't had good experiences with their greens and I've never had a white Darjeeling. Overall, I think you'll like it.
>>
File: 7034287.jpg (206 KB, 550x430) Image search: [Google]
7034287.jpg
206 KB, 550x430
>>7392935
I love you.
>>
>>7391886
I know about that. That's note a decaffeinated tea, it's a low caffeine tea.
>>
>>7392106
Metal boxes are perfect for storing tea.
>>
>>7393007
>just remember to brew one type of tea in that mug
Yeah, I got it for oolongs.
>>
>>7392919
Yes it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgbqUv59l9A
>>
>>7389472
I use either eherbata.pl or czajnikowy.com.pl senpai
great variety and quality is pretty good
>>
>>7389900
yellow tea has little to zero caffeine
>>
>>7393389
Idk I've had really caffeinated yellow tea before. Like almost green tea level caffeination.
>>
>>7381751
The truth is, you're a narcissistic cunt.
>the way I drink tea is the only way it should be drunk
>>
>>7393518
<ind telling me the name of that tea?
I saw a lot of sites mislabeling some of the green teas as yellow teas
>>
>>7393568
Huoshan huangya from NM tea co. Pretty sure that's a well accepted variety of yellow tea. Maybe I was really sensitive to the caffeine that day.
>>
>>7389472
I can recommend you try czasnaherbate.net . You can buy their teas personally from franchise stores in shopping malls in bigger cities. The advantage is that you can buy less than 100g. That way you can buy a smaller amount but more kinds. I rarely visit them but I can say that they have a nice selection of teas. Especially the fruity kind. Cherry rum flavour is top notch. I also bought Jasmine Earl Grey since they were out of regular Earl Grey. Personally I felt it was very underwhelming, but I think I steeped it wrong and thus had a bad experience, so in the end I kind of forced myself through it.
>>
>>7393389
Can people stop with this meme? The caffeine content isn't regulated by which sort (green, black/red etc) of tea it is. Green tea can be more caffeinated than black tea and so on. I'm sure there are yellow teas with a lot of caffeine in them as well.
>>
>>7392799
i dunno i just use water lol
>>
Is there anything better than a frothy matcha?

>has the most esteemed tradition, in the tea ceremony
>made fashionable by the Sung patricians
>considered the most nutrient-rich through consuming the entire leaf
>Japanese are the Hellenes of Asia
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>7396724
Matcha originated in China, just like everything else in Japan except seppuku and hentai.
>>
Just bought Ahmads Jasmine Green Tea. Fuck this shit is disgusting. Is it just a bad blend or is Jasmine tea supposed to taste this overly jasminy?
>>
>>7396740
Hence why I mentioned the Sung. Also, the Hellenes took as much from Egypt and Iraq.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 265x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 265x300
>>7396724
>>
I got hooked on tea a year ago. I wanted something cold, but not heavy or biting as a dark soda. So I tried some iced sweet tea someone made and goddamn, been drinking that shit like a fish since.

What other flavors of tea do you guys like most, I wanna give em a try.
>>
>>7396776
>the Hellenes took as much from Egypt and Iraq.
Yeah, no. More comparable to say that the Chinese are the Hellenes of Asia and the Japanese the Germanics.
>>
>>7396762
>Ahmads
Why are you even asking? Of course it is a bad blend.
>>
>>7396788
Is it really that bad?
>>
>>7396796
The big brands always make bad teas.
Look for small shops that make import directly from farmer in the country of origin.

If you want to make a side by side comparison with a very good jasmine tea, buy a very small quantity of this:
http://www.teavivre.com/jasmine-silver-needle-tea/
And be very careful with the temperature/brewing time.
>>
>>7396809
Thanks
>>
>>7377315
>Why is there so much love for genmaicha. It's just some rice put into the tea, how is that special?

I personally love the taste of rice, so that probably has something to do with why I like genmaicha so much.
>>
>>7375256
I like them too, cheap shipping as well

http://camellia-sinensis.com/en/ is my general go-to
>>
>>7396787
China has the superstitious and servile philosophy-religions, and centuries of insular activity, like Egypt. Mesopotamia and India lie inbetween. The Aryan europeans and the Yayoi (japs) warrior races lay outside of those and are similar.
>>
>>7377315
Roasted taste, smell is great. Easy to make and tasty.
I alternate between that and houjicha for daily drinking.
>>
I finally got a bag of loose leaf green tea but I can't find a ratio on the internet. Is tea like coffee or I just pick a bit of the leaves for a cup (180g of water)?
>>
>>7397078
If you're brewing it normal/european style then you use 1-6 tsp per cup and brew it for up to 2 minutes in 70 degrees celsius water.

If you want to do it china style then you use much more leaf and shorter steeping time. Look it up.
>>
>>7397141
>1-6 tsp per cup
lol
>>
>>7397182
>>7397182
pleb fuck cant handle the flavour
>>
>>7396786
green
brown
black
>>
>>7397078
Adjust to your taste but for a 200mL mug, the usual is to use 2g of tea for 2-3 minutes. Be careful with the temperature, green tea should be brewed at 75°C at the very max.
>>
>>7397141
>1-6 tsp
wow, I just use a pinch of loose leaf. It's about the subtle flavors of the cup, not a smack in the mouth.
>>
Does anyone here drink tulsi? I got a box of teabags and it's quite nice. Looking for a recommendation on where to buy it loose.
>>
What's some traditional fruit teas, /ck/? I know China has to have some type of mixture.
>>
>>7397078
There are no instructions specific to the tea you got? Mine says 1tsp (rough 1g I think) per 8-10 oz. I infuse it up to 5 times.
>>
Anyone else a teaboo? I really want to visit Japan for some fresh tea.
>>
>>7399777
Nope. I want to visit China.
>>
>>7398186
The only ones that have fancy reputations and go back to old times >>7396844
>>
thoughts on davids tea? bought 100g of some random shit yesterday because it was on sale
>>
>>7400264
Disgusting, over-sweetened, syrupy bullshit.
It'd be the tea equivalent of Starbucks if Starbucks didn't already own Teavana.
>>
File: 1453782025639.png (307 KB, 494x456) Image search: [Google]
1453782025639.png
307 KB, 494x456
Anyone have any recommendations for herbal or very low caff tea?

Also Lapsang Souchong sucks.
>>
>>7375176

Tattle Tea Organic Earl Grey Black Tea

Remarkable. They're out of the organic variety right now but I found an unopened package of it in my tea storage area, nice surprise.

Bright, distinct flavors. Really love this stuff.
>>
>>7400305
>Also Lapsang Souchong sucks.
I will hunt you down.
>>
Can anyone recommend me some brands?

I live in New York.
>>
>>7400305
Too bad for lapsang souchong… It's usually a tea liked by both beginners and experts on which we ca all agree.

Anyway, you can drink any tea and do a first rince with hot water, it will remove most of the caffeine.

>>7400718
Best brand is no brand. Look for online shop in this thread, we've listed quit a few already. Reddit /r/tea also have a not-too-bad list.
>>
>>7400733
No fuck off m8 I'm not looking for some fancy order online bullshit.

Nah just some thing I can pick up when I go shopping in 20 minutes.
>>
>>7400738
Then find a small shop in town that sell loose tea. Brands are so shitty it's not even worth to discuss which one is the less shitty.
>>
I really want to try more Taiwanese oolongs but I have like, no fucking money right now and they're so expensive

>>7400738
If you're just getting whatever at the store it doesn't matter, the only way to get good tea is fancy order online bullshit.
>>
>>7400747
>>7400750
Oh come on you elitist fucks.

You mean to tell me the fancy shit they have in the corner of the supermarket is no better than lipton?

There has to be some sort of intermediate brand
>>
>>7400756
I'm not saying bagged tea is shit like a lot of people in here will tell you, I'm saying it doesn't make a huge difference what you get within it unless you're into flavored tea. The biggest difference will be you paying out the ass for something worth a tenth of what it's sold as.
>>
>>7400756
>>7400738
Why don't you just kill yourself instead you fucking kike?
>>
>>7400756
you want to get on loose leaf as fast as possible, and start looking for types instead of brands. Once you know what you like drinking, then you can refine your search by processing techniques, authenticity of the leaf, and growing conditions/locations.
>>
>>7397607
What if you just cut your steep time down and resteep the leaves for multiple cups? Would it still be bad to use a ton of leaves? For example, is 1tsp/ cup for x steep time the same as 2tsp/cup for x/2 steep time? How would this change the resulting cup of tea?
>>
>>7400830
It is. More leaf = shorter steeping time.

But I don't think it is linear… Take western style vs gong fu cha as an example:

2g for 3 min
or
8g (x4) for 10 seconds (/18)

You can go in-between but it will probably take a few try to get it right.
>>
>>7400830
>>7400855
Also remember that brewing guides aren't magic it's just 2000+ years of try and fail.

Never hesitate to experiment.
>>
Recently bought this pot after using a tea ball in a carafe for a couple years. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZMR9HA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Very nice overall, but the second cup isn't quite as warm as I'd like. Not a big problem though.

Tried oolong from Tea Guys. Haven't really gotten into it yet. The flavor is strange and I can't seem to describe it. Much prefer traditional black and green teas to oolong so far. I'll try another brand from a more reputable vendor sometime though.

Tea Guys' sencha is pretty solid though.

I'd like to get some new green tea, but I've already got some sencha, gunpowder and genmaicha stocked up. A bit bored of the last two.
>>
Man good tea just keeps going up and up in price. I guess because more people are getting into the hobby so demand goes up with the same supply amount
>>
>>7401238
The normies ruin everything
>>
>>7401279
>>7401238
I can't imagine drinking good loose leaf will get very popular. Most people just don't usually care about "upper end" products, whether it's coffee, tea, liquor, etc., outside of being an occasional thing.
>>
File: 1451323599104.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1451323599104.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
Is there an updated version of this?

http://pastebin.com/hw8XXZV5
>>
>>7401653
That's a pretty nice Q&A. Could have saved me several hours of googling. Too bad this thread doesn't have a proper FAQ.
>>
>>7401989
I think it originated in a /jp/ tea thread. I'd recommend checking out their tea threads whenever they're up, as there's little to no shitposting like there is in /ck/'s.
>>
>>7402012
That would explain the Touhou question. Are they really biased towards japanese teas? I feel like they would be.

At least i guess it isn't 80% questions about supermarket available tea bags and fruity blends though.
>>
>>7402034
>Are they really biased towards japanese teas?
I have yet to get a good consensus, but anyone with a bias towards traditional varieties of tea is limiting themselves.
>>
File: de-niro.jpg (22 KB, 665x363) Image search: [Google]
de-niro.jpg
22 KB, 665x363
>>7389819

>claims tea has no health benefits
>completely disregards the thousands of tea studies and it's benefits on our health.

Yep, all those scientists are wrong.
>>
>>7402405
I think it's just that we don't want people to drink the stuff just because they think it's healthy.The kind of people that go 'This tastes bad, it must be good for me!'
>>
>>7401653
>http://pastebin.com/hw8XXZV5
Nice. I didn't know this existed at all.
>>
>>7402434
but tea tastes good
>>
File: 6XZ3bxG.png (858 B, 227x42) Image search: [Google]
6XZ3bxG.png
858 B, 227x42
>ask friend for a drink suggestion
>gives me this
is this a good way to drink tea?
>>
>>7402832
yes, it actually tastes better than the leaf flavored water that these people trick themselves into thinking tastes good
>>
>>7402832
Why would you add milk first? The tea won't get cooked properly and the milk will be scalded somewhat. At least the sugar is not burned.

>>7402836
pleb
>>
File: LN_027344_BP_11.jpg (15 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
LN_027344_BP_11.jpg
15 KB, 290x290
This is my go-to tea for my pot. Cheap and delicious.
>>
>>7402753
You don't get it.
We want people to drink tea for the taste.
We don't want people to drink it for the supposed health benefits while completely disregarding the taste, maybe oversteeping like retards because if it's bitter it must be good for your body.
>>
>>7389876
>Also if you think tea culture is only about taste and not health then you don't know ANYTHING about Chinese culture.
Haha this confirms everything I said earlier >>7396844

Japan are the hellenes of Asia.
>>
You know, I always liked those japanese teacups they have in anime, the tall ones with an unglazed bottom and that slightly messy green glaze on the top.
>>
>>7402434
What are you even talking about? You seem so confused.
>>
So I just picked up som Genmaicha on the way home. I can't really put my finger on it but it kind of tastes burnt. Do I have too much of it, steeped it too long or too high temperature? Or is it supposed to taste kind of like seasoned and toasted nuts?
>>
>>7403173
Tastes like popcorn green tea for me.
>>
>>7403176
Definitely tastes burnt here. Going to try to adjust the process a bit and see if I can achieve a more popcorny taste.
>>
>>7403173
>>7403187

I wouldn't call it "burnt", but it certainly should have a toasted taste. After all, it's roasted barley tea!
>>
>>7403198
I'm not sure I'm too fond of it desu. I didn't like jasmine green tea either. I think I prefer just plain green tea without anything added to it.
>>
So what's the deal with oolongs? i've tried 3 different ones but all i get is this massive aroma with not much taste. Does that sound about right or am i doing something wrong?
>>
Hey guys I just made these lists to try make sense of all the taxonomies involved with tea. If you're new to teas check it out and if you're a seasoned drinker do give improvement suggestions.

http://pastebin.com/fdEG2aEn
>>
>>7403028
>we
>we
Stop. You are talking nonsense.
>>
>>7403560
>http://pastebin.com/fdEG2aEn
Nice but very incomplete.

I really wish to set up a tea wiki for stuff like this because all the other ones out there suck, but I don't know how many contributors it could get…

>>7402012
Are they really that good? I didn't checked in month, but I remember it has being mostly weaboos and shitposting…
>>
I was thinking about buying mugicha on Ebay because I want to try it (I live in a shithole), will this taste as good as loose mugicha? I don't want to end up with rat shit and floor sweepings in my tea.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITOEN-Barley-tea-Kaori-Kaoru-Mugicha-8-5g-x-54bags-caffeine-free-from-Japan-/281671790753
>>
File: ツ シ.png (193 KB, 448x595) Image search: [Google]
ツ シ.png
193 KB, 448x595
>>7402034
>is the otaku board biased towards japanese things
>>
>>7403828
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITOEN-Barley-tea-Kaori-Kaoru-Mugicha-8-5g-x-54bags-caffeine-free-from-Japan-/281671790753
>bags
Don't. I don't know where you leave but there must be another way.

I found plenty of alternatives in just a few minutes of research:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=roasted+barley+tea+loose&ia=about
Surely one of those shop can ship internationally.
>>
>>7403111
They're called yunomi, I bought a couple I liked that people made https://www.etsy.com/market/yunomi
>>
>>7404136
>yunomi
I need to remember that name.

http://teaware.house/ sells some very nice cups but i don't think they sell any japanese ware.
>>
File: file.jpg (11 KB, 277x329) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
11 KB, 277x329
>>7400750
The feel is real. I've only had a few Taiwanese oolongs and they are amazing. Taste like tropical fruit with some floral character. I guess I'll stick with TGY and wuyis until I can afford Taiwanese stuff.
>>
>>7403173
the rice gives it that flavor. It's an acquired taste and took me a few cups to get into.
>>
http://unofficial-ck.wikia.com/wiki/The_Unofficial_/ck/_Wiki

We should be adding a tea page to this, stop the endless variations and sites. It's kind of shameful that reddit has a better guide so far. We wouldn't accept that on /lit/ or /mu/.
>>
>>7389997
>russian caravan

had it today!
i should avoid drinking it again in the evening because it was strong (at least compared to the cheap black teas i usually drink), it sorta "warmed me up" like some alcoholic beverage.
aftertaste is like speck (a type of smoked ham).
>>
>>7404447
>http://unofficial-ck.wikia.com/wiki/The_Unofficial_/ck/_Wiki
Wait.

I don't usually browse /ck/ apart from tea threads, isn't the ck wiki this one?
http://4chan-ck.wikia.com/wiki/
>>
>>7404491
Looks like it. Let's make a page there then.
>>
>>7381186
underrated post
>>
>>7403489
What type of oolong did you try?
>>
>>7388747
I just got to the Vietnamese grocery store and buy a tin of non-jasmine green tea. Pretty sure it's sencha, and it's really good.
>>
>>7389592
The boiling water part I get because it makes it smell/taste like fish. But vanilla?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.