[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best resources to learn cooking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 01117.jpg (24 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
01117.jpg
24 KB, 600x400
Where do you get your infos from?
Which cookbooks do you like best?
Did you take cooking classes?
Where should a complete beginner start?
>>
Search for dish you want to make, google recipe, make it.
>>
>>7375030
implying I like to go through four paiges of clickbait to find a decent recipe
>>
>>7375035
I... uh... what?
>>
you can basically gain a solid knowledge by youtube:
learn very basics like how to cut, boil, fry, steam, etc
then watch some videos of well known chefs to see how you actually work with those techniques
then you can start looking for nice recipes and actually understand which ingredient does what and how you can varify them to your taste.

i also recommend gordon ramsays ultimate cooking course on youtube.
>>
>>7375060
thank you, I will look into that
>>
>>7375025
I just watch Shokugeki no Soma and learned to cook from that. It was easy.
>>
>>7375025
I worked at antique store for years and befriended a 70 year old lady who loves helen corbitt.
>>
File: spamchovy.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
spamchovy.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
I learned everything I know from 4chan.org/ck/
>>
File: ninja_bottom.png (13 KB, 466x466) Image search: [Google]
ninja_bottom.png
13 KB, 466x466
>>7375025
You could read the four tomes of Modernist Cuisine (I can share the books with you if you want). It's pretty extense and you learn a lot through the theory but in the end, the practice is what matters the most as you sharpen your knife skills as you work with a wide variety of food items to open your mind.
Sometimes it will be frustrating, some other times will be joy.
Never EVER do a dish for anyone if you didn't do it before as how that recipe behaves is unknown for you. You will look like a smartypants guy who doesn't know shit. It's really shameful.

Get a knife, invest in a good one. You must master your knife as you must master your life. Watch some videos regarding chopping. Jamie Oliver and Gordon cover the basics very well.
Later on get a deboning knife and (if you see it right) a small utility knife to carve details. I'd recommend you Wüshtof as a brand.

Ask me anything young apprentice.

Also, does ANYONE have The Joy of Cooking?
>>
>>7375359
actually useful advice, thank you!
By "the four tomes of Modernist Cuisine" do you mean the books by Myhrvold?
>>
>>7375418
correct
>>
>>7375423
They look great, thank you based mentor.
I found them online.
>>
File: BBC_Yoda-Star-Wars-Meme.jpg (50 KB, 478x362) Image search: [Google]
BBC_Yoda-Star-Wars-Meme.jpg
50 KB, 478x362
>>7375695
>>
>>7375025
>Where should a complete beginner start?

https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/9723419/Rouxbe_Cooking_School_Full_Collection_Updated_3.8.2014

Not with Nathan Hemerrhoid's books.
>>
>>7375025
Just cook with someone experienced, a friend, a relative, a lover. I learned far more from them than alone. When I did cook alone I mostly just experimented with the basic knowledge I had, most dishes weren't good, but nothing was inedible, and I learned a ton.
>>
>>7376123
>butthurt
Lol

Anyway, you are right that it's not the best place to start. The experimental information in the book is useful, but the cooking techniques mostly involve expensive equipment which you don't need to use unless you have money to burn. Traditional cooking methods involving a pan or a stove are more relevant to op's interest.
>>
>learn basic chemistry
>visualize a dish in your head, then think of the best ways of going about it
>experiment with spices to find out what combinations work
>study the properties of everything you use, this will make it easier to be creative
>always make everything you can from scratch
>when in doubt, google
>>
foodwishes is a based channel especially the later videos

chef john yes
>>
>>7375060
>not using ja/ck/ to learn Michelin-level cooking
>>
mfw I don't even know how to use the oven
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.