[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a bit silly not to have a microwave oven? Or to be a true
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 280x180
Is it a bit silly not to have a microwave oven? Or to be a true /ck/ you can't have one of these in your house?
>>
to be a true ck you cant even have a fridge
>>
>>7370444
it comes down to the amount of time you have available to prepare your food, mate

i doubt anyone anywhere would argue that food that has been in a microwave tastes superior.

if you have the time, why bother? reheat in a hot oven.
>>
>>7370451
Where do you store your white wine?
>>
>>7370468
did you know wine was invented only after we finally had access to refrigerators
>>
i have no toaster and feel this is more ridiculous

im not even that lazy and i miss toast so much
>>
>>7370444
It's highly efficient in boiling water. My rental home does not have a kettle, so my roommates boil water on the stove which takes about 8 minutes for 2 cups of water to boil (fuckin 11C room temp in my home). Using the microwave, 2:30 and I get piping hot water.
>>
>>7370485
Yeah, but you also get cancer
>>
>>7370444
To be a true /ck/ you can't be an aerobic organism.
>>
>>7370495
You probably already have a brain tumor if you think that's true.
>>
>>7370485
Just so everybody knows, boiling water in a microwave is incredibly dangerous. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>7370713
if you're stupid enough to use a glass with a perfect surface. As long as you have nucleation sites, you have zero chance of superheating water.
>>
>>7370713
Just so everybody knows, boiling water in a microwave is perfectly fine.
>>
>>7370476
you realize you can just put the bread in a pan right? or use the broiler
>>
I have a microwave for now but I wanna invest in a convection oven cause my rental has no working stove (have to use convection stovetop to make basic shit like beans, ground meat, pasta, etc.).
I was looking at getting a Breville 850XL since I don't wanna waste $80 on a six slice Oster that will die in less then a year.
>>
File: 1955 microwave oven.jpg (72 KB, 680x500) Image search: [Google]
1955 microwave oven.jpg
72 KB, 680x500
I use my microwave to reheat leftovers. I find it quite handy.
>>
>>7370713
true. had an aunt who died this way
>>
I have a microwave stove, does that count?
>>
>friend microwaved water for 15 minutes
>killed 8 people
dont do it man
>>
File: 1455058230086.jpg (31 KB, 451x392) Image search: [Google]
1455058230086.jpg
31 KB, 451x392
>people who call it a microwave 'oven'
it's called a microwave.
>>
>>7374375
a microwave is a wave of energy m8
>>
is it a microwave or is it a toaster oven? the pic in the OP looks like a toaster oven but the contents look like that of an average microwave.

toaster ovens are great, microwaves are good for a few things, like melting butter if for some reason you have to, or defrosting frozen stuff occasionally. i almost never use my microwave
>>
toaster oven > microwave oven
microwave still good though
>>
>>7374847
You stupid nigger.
With regard to cooking quickly; Inside out > Outside in
>>
>>7370713
my brother did this with a pyrex measuring cup and it explode when he take it out he died in the hospital from eternal bleeding
>>
>>7374861
Pyrex should be capitalized, mane.
Also, sorry for you're loss.
>>
Where else am I supposed to cook a superior steak?
>>
File: kettle.jpg (4 KB, 197x256) Image search: [Google]
kettle.jpg
4 KB, 197x256
>>7370485
those are even better.
I usually boil a full kettle in the mornings and fill it in a thermos. whenever I need hot water for coffee/tea or cooking I don't have to bother.
>>
its actually decent at 'steaming' vegetables. sometimes I forget to throw my potato in the oven before cooking the rest of my meal so ill just throw that shit in the microwave.

melting butter for some fuckin recipe.

reheating premade meals when im getting fat and gotta lose the gut.
>>
I love episodes of Good Eats where Alton Brown justifies the existence of the microwave oven. It's literally only good at making liquids hot and and melting solids. Everything else can be done better in an oven or under the broiler.
>>
>>7374947
Not to say I don't use mine to microwave those cheap ass burritos when I'm drunk.
>>
>>7370474
made me kek
>>
Without one drunk me would starve to death...
>>
>>7370476
Toasters are pretty useless compared to a toaster oven.
>>
>>7370444
My last rental had one and I used it a few times.
I hate them because I'm really scared of leakage.
However they're really good for reheating leftovers.
>>
My shitty condo wiring is so horrible. I've tried to have a microwave about three times before it blew the fuse completely and I gave up.

Protip: toaster ovens are ten times better than soggy dirty microwaves.
>>
How do you handle leftovers without a microwave? I don't want to dirty a pot if I just want a small serving of chili.
>>
>>7375117
Leakage of what?
>>
>>7374375
A microwave oven is the cooking device that toasts/broils with a top down door and holding rack.
>>
mejiko = pobreza
>>
i didn't have a microwave until my grandfather found one in the trash and cleaned it up for me

it's handy but i don't use it a lot

i'm not even poor
>>
Can be useful, but not necessary. Great for defrosting foods tho.
>>
>>7370444

I live with some self-righteous, neoludite, pretentious hipster fucks, which means no microwave, no TV, no electronic devices in the common areas. It's horseshit.

>but rent is less than 50% of anywhere else in town.
>>
>>7370444
I have one, but I never use it. Actually that's a lie, I currently have all my tax papers in it so I don't lose them.
>>
>>7375276
Bet they carry their smart phones with them everywhere they go.
>>
>>7370444
Wife and I haven't had a microwave in our home for over 5 years. Sometimes it would be nice to have one to melt butter or chocolate, but I think it breeds lazy eating habits.

Don'tcareaboutmicrowave/10
>>
>>7375117
>I'm really scared of leakage
Anon, you're supposed to put your food in something first...
>>
>>7370444
My dad basically only had a microwave, kettle and toaster for about 10 years
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.