[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Baking baguettes.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9
File: sweet-baguette.900.600.s.jpg (142 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
sweet-baguette.900.600.s.jpg
142 KB, 900x600
Through trial and error i developed pretty good recipe for pizza dough and my pizzas come out pretty tasty.
Therefore i decided to move to other breads and chose baquettes. I made the same dough for pizza, just without oil and milk and less yeast. Kneeded it and let it rest for 12 hours. After that formed nice shapes and let them rest for an hour and baked. However they smelled not like real baquettes, the dough itself smelled a lot like alcohol. and walls of pores inside it were quite thick. Thickr than in my pizza dough (which i let rest for 4 hours).
Do you have any clue what am i doing wrong? Internt tells me to ferment the dough for 12 or more hours, but it contrary to what my experiments suggest.
>>
>>7366921
Use less yeast.

If you're going to ferment for 12 hours or more, you've got to skimp on the yeast and let them develop slowly.
>>
>>7366934
That was the first thing i learned (norallmy i use 10:1) and they were terrible so next time i made 100:1 dough, it's currently proofing, 4 more hours to go, but i'm nervous.
>>
>>7366921
Can you post recipe for pizza oh pee?
>>
>>7366921
Rest the dough in the fridge
>>
>>7366921
Would you tell me your pizza dough recipe? I always fuck it up eventhough i always get it from the internet
>>
>>7366956
Op here, usually it's somethign like this:

70g yeast
200ml milk
1 tsp sugar
homogenize them in milk with sugar and tadd to those below:
800g flour
1 tspn salt
3 tbsp oil/olive oil
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
200ml water

Since i often use different flours i judge by the consistency and stickiness of the dough during kneeding and less or more water if needed.
Kneed it untill stickiness goes away.
Proof for 4 hours (at least 2).
Kneed again, divide into 4 portions for medium pizzas. For pizza of desired shape while rest of dough rests in fridge.
Bake at at least 220C on the preheated (for at least 30 mins) stone for 4~6 minutes (depending on condiments and temperature).

You might not consider it to be the best pizza but i'm proud of it as i came with this recipe by myself and it suits my needs and taste perfectly.
>>
>>7366988
I don't have a pizza stone... What's a good substitute for it?

Also have you ever heard of dumping about a fourth of a cup of water on the inside of your oven right before putting in your pizza? I'm not sure how it works but a friend does this when he makes pizza and his crust is perfect. Must be something about the steam.
>>
>>7367012
>I don't have a pizza stone... What's a good substitute for it?
Buy it, it really gets so much better with it, it's not that expensive (i got fancy one with jamie olivier's face on the packaging - christmas gift), just don't clean it with water, just scrape.

But if you really can't get one, preheat your over well, make only thin pizzas and don't put much sauce and condiments.

> umping about a fourth of a cup of water on the inside of your oven
heard about it, professional bakeries have steam generators for baking breads. But i haven't seen steam in profesional pizza ovens and haven't bothered myself to try it as my pizza has thin tasty crust already.
>>
>>7367028
I was hunting around and found an old pizza stone in the oven drawer. Gonna go use your recipe this Sunday, thanks man!
>>
>>7367064
Good luck anon, i hope it works out for you well.
Just don't incorporate too much flour after proofing when forming pizza.
If it sticks too much to your work surface dust it with corn meal or coarse flour.
>>
>>7367072
Thank you. I'll keep your tips in mind. Sorry I had nothing to contribute on your thread.
>>
>>7367087
>Sorry I had nothing to contribute on your thread.
No prob, enjoy your pizza.
>>
I just came up with and idea of sprinklign my baquette with black sesame seeds.
>>
>>7366988
> 70g yeast
Fresh yeast ofc, dried one would be like 30% of that.
>>
What should i brush them with? Some recipes told me to use oil, but i don't like that idead, egg yolks doesn't fit etiher, just plain water then?
>>
>>7367415
it's just bread, man. is it just for you? Baking quickly and efficiently is the best way to bake bread. The enjoyment comes from eating it later. Making it look nice is unnecessary, and you can always put stuff on bread later when you're eating it, so there's no need to get fancy. But I think you should switch to sourdough starter instead of using yeast.
>>
>>7367434
>it's just bread, man. is it just for you?
Blasphemy! I like for my meals to look nice, it just adds to the experience.
> sourdough starter
Thought it's suitable only for normal bread and not for the soft buns.
>>
try using a poolish (or other preferment) rather than making up the whole batch of dough first

i use fresh yeast, and i always work with a 30g block (which is how the are sold here) leavening 1kg of flour
>>
I'm pretty sure baguettes are made with sourdough. Might be the problem.

Or maybe your oven suck.
>>
>>7366921
>milk
You didn't make a baguette
>>
>>7367709
>You didn't make a baguette
I know, i am aiming for a baquette, not producing one currently, just started from something i kinda knew how to make:)

I've just took today's batch out of the oven.
Less milk and less yeast this time it was, much better results. Better crust, larger pores, better consistency, less like focaccia more like baguette.
I'll try making tomorrow's batch starting with poolish. I'll set it up now and make dough in the evening then rest in the fridge for 12 hours.
If the thread doesn't go into archive i'll update it in 24h.
Thanks for your time.
>>
I make baguette with 75% water, 2% salt, 0.5-1% dry yeast.

Mix water and flour roughly, let rest for an hour
Squeeze in the yeast and salt while folding the dough.
Rest for an hour and fold
Rest for an hour and fold
Rest for two hours
Shape
Let rest for an hour-ish.
Bake in 250 celsius/ 480-ish fahrenheit oven for 10-ish minutes, drop to 230 celsius and then remove it once done (the crust the color you like, the sound of the baguette correct, as in non-muffled, when tapped).
Let cool on top of a coffee cup so that there's as much air as possible around it, so that it doesn't gather moisture.

You can also let it rest in the fridge overnight after the 2 hour rest. This produces a better crust, but makes the crumb a bit tighter as it overproofs a bit.

Another way to a great baguette is this recipe : http://www.chewswise.com/chews/baguette-traditional-fromartz-recipe
it just requires sourdough and is so moist you'll be guaranteed to mess it up the first time you try to shape it.
>>
>>7368039
75% hydration? That's a lot. I can hardly work my dough past 60%, what's the secret?
>>
>>7369413
wet hands and lots of practice.
>>
>>7369416
But at 60% my dough is literally pouring, can it be wrong flour? I seek flours with high protein content for this.
>>
>>7367830
Remember. A real baguette has to be come in a bag. ;__;
>>
>>7369431
Unless i manage to eat it first.
>>
>>7369421

75% water means 100g flour, 75g water. Normal, cheap all-purpose works.

It should be very manageable; wet your hands when working with the dough in a bowl, and flour your hands and the surface you shape it on when you take it out.
>>
>>7369478
I know how baker's percentage works:)
but this still is true for me>>7369421 :(
>>
>>7369520
OP here, a little update. I've jut finished preparing dough for morning batch. I managed to keep at overall 75% hydration, i used 6 hour old poolish. It seems to keep water much better and be less sticky than when i tried going 75% all they way at once, in the past. It's resting now in the fridge.
>>
I make baguettes every other week and use this recipe (which has never failed me).

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-baguettes-and-stuffed-baguettes-recipe
>>
>>7369772
Those buttons
> Volume Ounces Grams
that convert the recipe, are brilliant, someone had and awesome idea with them.
>>
File: tmp.jpg (297 KB, 1661x1153) Image search: [Google]
tmp.jpg
297 KB, 1661x1153
>>7369559
Another update. Image attached.
FYI i don't make them long like normall baguettes, i like them more at this length.
However i don't like it's profile, it flowed a bit in the oven and therefore flattened.
>>
>>7371249
I prepare poolish according to >>7369772
>http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-baguettes-and-stuffed-baguettes-recipe
1/3 tsp of fresh yeast as 1 tsp of fresh yeast given by some converter (1/16 tsp instant -> 1 tsp fresh) seemed too much.
Let's see how it come out tomorrow:)
>>
File: White 82% Hydration 1.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
White 82% Hydration 1.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Baguettes are tough. Maybe the hardest shape to make. I still struggle with them in a home kitchen where I don't have commercial tools available.
>>
commercial bakeries use cloches to retain the shape through baking... as you dont have that level of hydration might be too high - alternatively you might need to put some more folds into your dough to tighten it up
>>
>>7369772
I understand that i should rest my dough in the fridge if overnight, but what about poolish? Should it rest at room temperature or in the fridge?
>>
>>7373706
I'm the King Arthur recipe guy. I leave mine on the counter overnight. A few weeks ago I got busy and it went an extra day on my counter. Decided to try it anyway, and they came out just fine (but had a more yeasty flavor than usual, which was nice.). I live in Denver, though, were the air is very dry here and that might make a difference... I don't know.

>>7370956
Yeah... I thought that was a great idea, too.
>>
what is fermentation temperatures?
i think 12 hours fermentation time is too much, thogh
>>
>>7372611
oh boy oh boy he's here! sign my baby please

and post more pics

>>7371249
work on shaping. you want your loaf to feel tight, like it can't be moved around without bouncing back. It will keep its shape better and rise the way you want it.
>>
>>7373988
It's 19C now where i live.
I decided to discard yesterday's poolish, after 12 hours it smelled wrong.
I'll set up tomorrow a fresh batch and ferment it only for 6 hours.
>>
>>7369772
Got some bread in the oven now after using this recipe....we'll see what happens.
>>
File: Bread.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Bread.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Done and cooled down.

Pretty good recipe, imo, though I did fuck up the fold, and probably could have gave em' another 10 mins in the oven. I use basic bulk AP flour as well, btw.

Here's a retard resistant link with pictures if anyone is interested: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2011/07/13/baguettes-do-try-this-at-home/
>>
>>7376539
I've just baked mine, according to kingarthur's.
They are much better at 70% hydration, however i had problems folding them, dough was a bit too sticky/runny. I did it exactly as described in the recipe, and it seemed like not rested enough.
>>
>>7377963

No worries, just keep tweaking it till you get something you like.

You've got to remember that oven temps, water composition, flour, yeast, dough temp, and proofing temps can all have a subtle impact on the final product, so any given recipe is just a guide.

Took me like 8 different attempts before I found a pizza dough recipe that worked for me, and part of the problem was my shitty oven.
>>
>>7378538
>any given recipe is just a guide.
I agree. I will not give up quickly.
>>
File: HR48989.jpg (101 KB, 1000x981) Image search: [Google]
HR48989.jpg
101 KB, 1000x981
OP here.
I have managed to find those spiraling things for my hand mixer (like in the pic).
I followed the same recipe as yesterday (kingarthur's).
hand mixer seems to be a real game changer.
5 minutes of mixing with those spiral attachments gave my way better dough than 15 minutes of hand kneeding.
It's smoother, less sticky and more springy.
I hope that this morning batch of baquettes will be way better then all my previous attempts.
>>
>>7379779

Check out how this dirty Frenchman makes his...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAs8ttQkU80

His folding and rolling technique is the way to go IMO.

I'll have to try his recipe to see if it works better than the King Arthur approach.
>>
>>7376299
ambient temperature is important but dough temp even more
do you use warm water? do you knead a lot?
i used to check it with a thermometer when i was starting out
>>
>>7379820
I use thermometer too, i start with water at 19C~20C.
When i was kneading by hand the dough ended up at 23C after 15 minutes.
After kneading 5 minutes with a mixer, dough had temperature of 26C.
>>
>>7379808
That's some mighty mixer there.
Also everything was fun and dandy, untill i saw that cloth. Geez why it's so dirty? It looks obnoxious.
Anyway thanks alot, i haven't stumbled upon that vid on YT, only some DIYers.
>>
I overslept, dough iss till proofing.
I was overly optimistic i think.
>>
File: tmp1.jpg (145 KB, 799x995) Image search: [Google]
tmp1.jpg
145 KB, 799x995
>>7381764
I overproofed a little bit, but that very tasty, soft delicate inside, crust was a bit too thick but crispy and delicious.
Thank you /ck/.
Now i have to work on forming them evenly.
>>
>>7379808
Anyone tried this one?
>>
>>7382455
Looks pretty good, I'd eat it.
>>
>>7384233

Not yet.

It's next on my list, though.
>>
File: tmp2.jpg (221 KB, 1022x1545) Image search: [Google]
tmp2.jpg
221 KB, 1022x1545
Stuffed with blogney and cheese.
Into the oven it goes.
>>
>>7384233
>>7379808
It works, its the traditional way to shape a baguette
>>
File: tmp3.jpg (477 KB, 1024x2582) Image search: [Google]
tmp3.jpg
477 KB, 1024x2582
>>7385872
And done it is.
Cheese gives off quite a lot of fat, i should have used slim version, with less fat.
>>
>>7385928
seems really tasty
>>
>>7385872
>blogney
>>
>>7385973
Haven't heard of it? It's made of doomed souls of all culinary bloggers.
>>
>>7366988
Shit I use .4 grams, scant 1/4 teaspoon, of instant yeast for 1000 grams of flour formula and a 12 hour bulk ferment.
>>
>>7387899
Well for 12 hours rise time it shoudl be good.
If you put too much yeast for long rise times, you might develop odd/unpleasant flavours.
High yeast content is good only for short rest time.
>>
>>7366921
one of the most importAnt things to do when letting bread rise is to use some sort of horn or brass instrument periodically. the vibrations excite the molecules and eliminates unneeded bubbles.
>>
File: baking kazoo.jpg (40 KB, 375x281) Image search: [Google]
baking kazoo.jpg
40 KB, 375x281
>>7389383
>not using a baking kazoo to make bread
>>
>>7389383
>>7389419
>smell of finger box
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.