[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apples
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9
File: apples.png (289 KB, 683x244) Image search: [Google]
apples.png
289 KB, 683x244
Let's settle this for once. Which apple color is the best?

Green master race obviously
>>
File: rgapple.jpg (23 KB, 290x277) Image search: [Google]
rgapple.jpg
23 KB, 290x277
where is your god now?
>>
>>7362390
>Golden delicious

I mean... it is in the name
>>
>>7362397
That name is bullshit, those taste like some shitty apple puree warped in a watery skin.
>>
>>7362401
This guy knows about those shitty piles of mush.
And yeah, green is objectively best apple.
>>
I like the green ones. The red and yellow ones seem to go bad quicker.
>>
>>7362396
Editing in GIMP?
>>
i like macs

and those green super sour ones that grow wild

tart, crispy apples are best
>>
Red delicious is the most aesthetic apple, this isn't even debatable.
>>
File: iStock_000007171512XSmall.jpg (151 KB, 282x426) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000007171512XSmall.jpg
151 KB, 282x426
>>7363321
Also op pic a shit, this is a good red apple. I don't care for the taste that much but I buy them as table decorations
>>
>>7363328
The big soft red ones are shit. I like the small, round crispy apples.
>>
produce manager here. currently in my rotation i have:

red delicious
gold delicious
granny smith
macintosh
braeburn
gala
fuji
ambrosia
rome
stayman
jazz
macoun
autumn glory
envy
honeycrisp
ruby frost

AMA
>>
File: big-apple.jpg (32 KB, 453x384) Image search: [Google]
big-apple.jpg
32 KB, 453x384
Pink Lady.
>>
File: apples.jpg (21 KB, 388x400) Image search: [Google]
apples.jpg
21 KB, 388x400
For those unaware
>>
>>7363352
I'll take fuji or honeycrisp. It's so off season though that shit must be from south america at this point
>>
>>7363352
Produce wageslave here. I have:

Honeycrisp
Golden delicious
Cameo
Granny smith
Gala
Fuji
Jonagold
Braeburn
Pink lady
Red Rome
Red delicious
Jazz
Macintosh

Which of yours sells the best? Worst? I sell a ton of red delicious followed by honeycrisp, red Rome, then pink lady. Worst seller is jazz. A case will literally sit on a cold rack so long they rot. Literally nobody buys them.
>>
>>7362390
Green is literally the worst. Red/yellow master race
>>
>>7363352
>AMA
Why do you hold so many kinds when the only ones worth eating are macintosh and granny smith?
>>
>>7363396
Is this bait? Those are for baking
>>
>>7363402
Confirmed for never having eaten freshly picked macintosh at the orchard.
I pity you.
>>
>>7363406
Confirmed for having a sister that owns an orchard in New England. They're good for cider, baking and donuts.
>>
>>7363388
my best sellers are definitely red delicious, gala, honeycrisp, and granny.

braeburn and gold are up there as is fuji. but people this time of year buy them based on price rather than taste.

our jazz also sell like shit. as does stayman and rome. we have organic pink lady's that do well. actually all of our organics do well.

with all that being said i bring in specials like autumn glory (has a hint of cinnamon in it) and ruby frost when i can get them cheap and they do ok. honeycrisp and envy used to be the equivalent of specials but they are loved so much now that they've become staples. ive never heard of cameo yet. sounds interesting.
>>
>>7363396
because they all sell. i run the highest grossing produce department in my company. nearly every other department is also highest grossing in their respective categories but its because we do insane business (2 million a week in the summer.)
>>
>>7363427
Departments are grossing that much in the summer? Fuck. The company I worked for had some high grossing NYC stores but i don't think hit those numbers
>>
>>7363434
noooo the whole store is grossing 2 million a week
>>
>>7363424
I haven't tried cameo yet. I can tell you the are fucking massive though. Biggest apples I've ever seen.
>>
>>7363437
i live in new jersey so i get all kinds of local produce in the summer. sweet white corn is absolutely incredible here. i could eat it raw right off the stalk (and have). our tomatoes are decent too but the past few years have been so-so.

if they are large they probably aren't very good. gotta shrink em down and remove the water.

you should try them though. one of the perks of working in produce is you have the excuse that you are testing the product for freshness and to be better informed for your customers. i've tried nearly everything we have.
>>
>>7363448
I only get to really try stuff when it's just me there. My boss is a huge tight ass lol. I've only been there two months though and he listens to me and asks me questions like I'm another manager. I've actually been offered produce manager jobs but I'm just kinda working there to pay off my cdl school. If trucking doesn't work out I'm certain I'll end up being a produce manager somewhere.
>>
>>7363470
its a good gig that pays well and offers great benefits (assuming you are in the UFCW). i make 21.50 an hour, 40 hours a week, 8 hours on sunday (which is 1.5x wage). you dedicate a lot of time to the job but most of it is spent bullshitting with other managers and doing fun stuff like building new displays. let the kids stock shit and the veterans trim the greens.

sucks that your boss is a tight ass though. im pretty lenient here. my unspoken policy is, "idc what you do so long as you get your shit done and get it done right."

theres plenty of kids that want to work for me so once they start slacking they get one warning. their ass can go back on a register.
>>
>>7362390
Granny Smith is objectively the best apple, so green.
Crisp, tart, juicy, delicious.
>>
bananas
>>
>>7363487
How many people are in your dept? Right now it's me, the manager, and another guy. The only day we all 3 work is Saturday, Sunday I'm there by myself. But when I worked produce at whole foods there were like 20 of us.
>>
>>7363487
I was a buyer for a 1m a week store. Had to break 12-16 pallets a day. 24 on sunday. i quit
>>
>>7363496
christ i have so many kids im not sure:

me, old fuckers 1 and 2, guy 1, woman 1, girl 1, kids x 6?

so 12. none of us all work together on the same day. saturday about 7-8 of us work. we are slow this time of year so i rotate everyone and give them whatever days off they want.
>>
1. Red
2. Yellow

-------POWER GAP---------

9003. Green
>>
>>7363510
in my department during 4th of july week i get the following on average per day:

2 pallets of bananas
6 bins of watermelon
2 pallets of prepackaged salads (fresh express and the like)
4 - 6 bins of corn (we get it loose in watermelon bins from local farmers)
and then about 6 - 8 pallets of everything else.

then we get separate deliveries for organics and vegetarian shit because i have a vendor that does her own order.

i actually have my own stationary refrigerated trailer that the company let me have to store all my shit because we do about 30k a day and my cold storage is wayyyyy too small to actually hold everything. annoying too because we did massive renovations last year and i lobbied for a bigger walk-in to no avail. whatever, their loss. now they have a trailer permanently taking up space in one of their bays.
>>
>>7362390
red

pink lady or pacific rose are GOAT
>>
Honeycrisp and Ambrosia are the best
>>
>>7363352
do you take a bite of each macintosh before selling them?
>>
>>7363328
Red delicious have that horrible rubbery skin and taste like sour nigger anus.
>>
>>7363369
>cripps pink
>not calling them pink ladies
>>
>>7364993
no lol. i actually find mac's to be pretty gross as a handfruit. most apples for that matter. there's just way better fruits out there.
>>
File: Nintendo_Direct_announced.png (479 KB, 637x474) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo_Direct_announced.png
479 KB, 637x474
>>7363364
My nigga. Best apple.
>>
>>7362401
>>7363298

they're not good from market because they are picked under ripe. They are probably the easiest apples to bruise, so farmers pick them green and they ripen in storage.

A tree-ripened golden delicious is damn delicious though. Only thing is that it can't be bought. You need to have a tree of your own or live in an apple growing region and find one that the pickers missed.
>>
What is /ck/ opinion on Opal? I like them but only the high end store seems to have them in my area.
>>
>>7363352
what do you think of jazz apples? I tried one once and it was like a mealy gala... not sure if they're really just mediocre or if I got a dud.
also, of the last part of your list, starting at 'rome', which are the best sellers?
>>
>>7363352
nevermind I decided to read the thread
>>
File: 7R7Lj.jpg (45 KB, 352x329) Image search: [Google]
7R7Lj.jpg
45 KB, 352x329
>>7363364
>>7365220

Speak truth to power, brothers. Pink Lady is the best.
>>
i'm a pear guy through and through, but uh... gala is probably my favorite. nice and bland.
>>
File: 1297525297312_ORIGINAL.jpg (67 KB, 511x520) Image search: [Google]
1297525297312_ORIGINAL.jpg
67 KB, 511x520
these things smell exactly like dimetapp. haven't brought myself to eat one, its such an offensive food.
>>
>>7362390
Good Red Apples>Good Green Apples>Bad Green Apples>Good Yellow Apples>Bad Yellow Apples>Bad Red Apples
>>
>>7365267
They're mealy apples, don't bother.
>>
Fuji
>>
>>7365267
they taste like grape cough medicine. i carried them and got rid of them after a month in my department
>>
>>7363352
I dig gold delicious, granny smith, macintosh, braeburn, gala, fuji, jazz, macoun, honeycrisp and >>7363364 this guy.
>>
Green for raw eating
Yellow for cooking
Red for the trash
>>
>>7362401
THIS
H
I
S

They are pretty bad desu senpai
Granny smith/fuji/paradise/grapple masterrace.
>>
i fucking LOVE fuji,never tried pink lady though.
Anyone can compare these 2?
>>
Pink lady is best.
Fuji and royal gala can be nice too. Granny smith are good when you want something tart.
Red delicious are absolutelydisgusting.jgp
>>
Alright, someone at work gave me this apple that the pigment seeps into it, so it was pink-ish in the inside. It was sort of tart tasting and he told me it was Japanese. What sort of apple was this? It tasted great!
>>
>>7362390
anyone ITT who says anything but Honeycrisp apple is a FUCKING JEW.

honeycrisp apples are GOAT of all time.
>>
>>7363364
PINK LADY BEST LADY
>>
>>7363328
Enjoy ur waxed apples anon
>>
>>7363364
Best apple
>>
>>7365088
I'm pretty sure that those are different varieties.
>>
uhh, honeycrisp duh
sweet like honey
super crisp
you just can't out do a honeycrisp
>>
File: Ambrosia.jpg (141 KB, 1370x1000) Image search: [Google]
Ambrosia.jpg
141 KB, 1370x1000
Step aside plebs, best apple coming through.
>>
(Royal) galas are the fucking shit. When they are tender and sugary, that is.
>>
Pink Lady and Honeycrisp are good; so are Worcester Pearmains when they're in season, they've always been a favourite since I was a child. Galas are edible.

If you're cooking, I like to mix Granny Smith (as cheap filler) and Bramley (as flavour).

Worst apples by far are Red Delicious, which are maroon, tasteless, thick-skinned, mealy mutant abominations. Supermarkets only stock them because they're shiny and that was the fashion for a time, and some people don't know any better.

Some of the more interesting ones are harder to get. My uncle owned (and is now just head taster of - it got bought out by a large producer) a small cider brewery which has heirloom orchards of odd varieties: Sops, Foxwhelps, Tom Putts, Cellinis, Kingston Blacks, Dabinetts, Yarlington, as well as some really odd knobbly russets. There's a group of trees in there which produce unusual jet black furry apples with sweet, but firm, orange flesh - I have no idea what they're called, if anything at all - and he's been trying to breed them with the pearmains. I went off scrumping there once as a child, which was a huge mistake: while some of the apples are delicious for eating, you don't really want to eat a cider apple!
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.