[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This knife supposedly can only be sharpened with their special
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 51GopontgFL._SL1200_.jpg (40 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
51GopontgFL._SL1200_.jpg
40 KB, 1200x1200
I'm thinking it's BS, and other whetstones work. Can anyone confirm?
http://www.amazon.com/Chroma-P18-Porsche-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B00062KOUI
>>
>>7360979
it's 301 steel bruh, they just rec you use a stone meant for 301 steel which I believer is a bit harder than say stainless
>>
I'm sure it's how they're able to sell the knife and whetstone as a pair. In any case, those knives aren't that great
>>
>>7360986
Which knives do you think are that great? What do you think of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0706-Classic-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B0000Y7KNQ
>>
>>7360979
>FA Porsche

>kind neat looking if you like insects
>probably high perfomance as fuck
>fragile and made out shit noone's ever heard of
>absolutely fucking guaranteed to hurt you if you fuck up even the tiniest bit.

I'm all in for bolster hate but what the fuck. that handle looks like it wants you to bleed
>>
>>7361058
Former Kitchen Manager, and a couple co-workers use Shun. They're nice, hold their edge well, but are not for left handed people (the handle is awkwardly shaped). My only gripe is the heel of the blade.

http://www.amazon.com/Olivia-Elite-Stealth-Chefs-Knife/dp/B00KY2ZFXQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1455072696&sr=1-2&keywords=messermeister+oliva+elite

This is the current one I am using, overall it has been my favorite knife so far
>>
What's /ck/'s opinion on ceramic knives?
>>
>>7361146
Garbage for idiots who think that there's One Cool Trick/Knife Sharpeners Hate Them!
>>
>>7360979
best knife ever
if you are able to hold it like a pro
>>
File: Capture.jpg (75 KB, 1164x671) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
75 KB, 1164x671
>>7360979
Get this.
Can't believe the price is below $200.
This, a serrated, and a boning knife is all I take to work anymore.

>>7361134
They make different handles for south paws...
>>
>>7360979
that knife would kill my hand. fuck that "handle"
>>
>>7361940

>9.5"

Compensating much?

You also realize you overpaid ordering from Amazon, right?
>>
>>7361971
What is the cheapest way to buy a knife? I am thinking about getting the chroma porsche for my parents.
>>
>>7362005

Do your own research online.

If a local shop has what you're looking for ask them if they're able to match the best price you found online, and then bring your knife in occasionally to get it sharpened.
>>
>>7361971
8" is just too small.
Amazon was the cheapest on May 9, 2012.
Nothing in your post was useful or true even.
>>
>>7362005
...and you are a stupid cunt for asking the person who contributed nothing for advice.
>>
>>7362052

Unless you're over 6'4", 8" isn't too small.

It's literally impossible that there wasn't a less expensive alternative to purchase a new MAC, especially an irregular one.
>>
Victorinox Fibrox is where it's at.
That is unless your main issue is that you have too much money.
>>
>>7362088

>no tang
>>
>>7362070
>durr you can extort your local store by threatening to use amazong
>but wait! I take that back, I meant you can buy a victorinox memeknife for $40!!! that's what I really meant!
Fuck off poorfag
>>
>>7362189

>do research online to determine what you want and how much it should cost you
>support your local knife shop

How is your reading comprehension that terrible?
>>
>>7362199
That wasn't your argument, poorfag. Sorry you can't accept that some people like nice things.

Also, blackmailing your local store into selling a product to you at a loss isn't "supporting small business". If you want to buy the knife, buy the knife. If you want to nickel and dime someone, just go to amazon.

t. someone who isn't poor
>>
>>7361969
>Holding a knife in any way other than the pinch grip

Pleb.
>>
>>7362206

>ask them if they're able to match the best price you found online, and then bring your knife in occasionally to get it sharpened
>blackmailing your local store

Overpaying on Amazon instead of talking to someone in person isn't something to be proud of.
>>
>>7362217
I don't buy knives on amazon. A friend of mine worked for amazon for a while. Amazon has employees whose entire job it is to undercut conventional businesses. They have essentially unlimited resources so they can afford to pick a niche and strangle it to death. Of course, once it's dead, they can price things however they please.

By doing what you described you are not "not overpaying", you are basically stealing from your local store. And fucking yourself over in the future.

Like I said, if you want to do that, just buy from amazon.
>>
>>7362221
>>7362217
Oh and one more thing before I leave for work
>bring your knife in to get it sharpened
>getting your knife sharpened
Found the rank fucking amateur. Why didn't you buy some stones at your store? Don't you want to support your store?
>>
>>7362222

>getting your knife sharpened

No, you're right.

Better to buy a handful of fancy Japanese stones off Amazon instead of paying a few bucks each month and supporting the local guy who has an entire shed full of professional knife sharpening equipment, because it's a part of how he makes a living.

I also know how to fix my car, so I know when the pros have done a good job when I take it into the shop, seeing as how it's not worth the time to do it myself.
>>
>>7362288
Good on you then. Must be nice to have a competent sharpener who doesn't use a dry power grinder right around the corner from your home who takes walk in jobs and does the work on the spot.

Or, maybe you just don't have standards.

It's faster and more convenient for me to do it myself, and I live in a place with a lot of good knife stores that would do a good job if I wanted to pay $20+ a pop and waste 30 minutes round trip twice (dropoff and pickup).

Odd that you'd apply a totally different standard to your car, but I suppose a bad mechanic could be life threatening whereas a bad sharpener is merely an insult to common sense.
>>
>>7361088
>that handle looks like it wants you to bleed
This. Who even thought that design was a good idea? Why would anyone want to use this shit?
>>
>falling for the overpriced knife meme
>>
>>7360979
My old boss had these knives. I can confirm that they are really, really sharp and comfortable. The funky handle felt great in my hand and the little thumb bumps were actually great.

Do they look weird? Yes, they sure do.

Are they overpriced? Maybe.

Do they work as well or better than any other knife I've used? Yep.
>>
>>7362070
more blade edge can be nice for a lot of things
particularly when having to mince large amounts, for slicing, and for cutting larger objects
I typically prefer using a 9 inch chef knife and a 4 or 5 inch petty
I've worked in some kitchens that have extremely small prep and station areas where I mainly used my petty, though
even an 8 inch was in danger of knocking into something and always had to be held at a diagonal on the tiny station boards
>>
>high-quality Japanese steel
>not dishwasher safe
>120 bux

lmao
>>
>>7362625

301 steel, single piece. It is going to be as dishwasher safe as any stainless steel knife regardless of what they say.

Which is to say, it might get a few blotches.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.