[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the best meat substitute?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
File: tofu-main.jpg (45 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
tofu-main.jpg
45 KB, 500x350
what's the best meat substitute?
>>
A different kind of meat?
>>
If we're talking vegetables and the like, the best I could do to trick myself was some mushrooms but that's it.

Otherwise, just fucking eat the meat.
>>
>>7355561
Bacon
>>
probably egg
>>
Nothing at all.

If you're trying to be healthy by not eating meats and then go for some extremely processed sawdust that would make a US Marine's MRE blush, then you are extremely misguided.

If this is a moral thing, then I'm sorry you're going through all this. Unfortunately a meat sub is probably just an overall bad choice. Eat your food and sprinkle on some MSG.
>>
>>7355569
Mushrooms aren't vegetables. Fungus is it's own kingdom that is more closely related to us then plants. FUNGUS LIVES MATTER
>>
>>7355561
Admitting that 'meat substitutes' aren't and shouldn't try to imitate meat.

I don't eat meat anymore, but back when I did I have a vivid memory of a portobello mushroom sandwich I got at this one local restaurant being a million times better than a 'normal' burger. It wasn't a 'veggie burger'; it was a 'portobello mushroom sandwich'. Eating a 'fake beef' burger is usually going to disappoint you as you compare it to the standard. Although, black bean burger patties have come a long way - they can be pretty good.
>>
File: feistybagv3highresrgb.jpg (81 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
feistybagv3highresrgb.jpg
81 KB, 420x420
I had pic related and it was honestly surprisingly good. The thing with this brand I like is that they focus on replicating the meat TEXTURE over flavor. The flavor wasnt as full as real meat. It served very well in spaghetti where the meat isnt what's dominating the flavor
>>
>>7355569
Wont someone please think of the fungus
>>
>>7355561
is that wheat gluten stuff any good? shits like pure protein.
>>
>>7355650
It's tasty stuff, but soy protein isolate is some nasty shit when it comes to health. Any protein isolates are, for that matter.
>>
File: Gingery-Maple-Glazed-Tempeh1.jpg (147 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
Gingery-Maple-Glazed-Tempeh1.jpg
147 KB, 1000x668
coming from a vegan
proper "meat subs" is gardein, shit is so fucking good.
tofu obv is good (drain, marinate, freeze) but there's also tempeh (fermented soy cake) which is crazy fucking good (like chicken where it'll absorb any flavor you put into it) and it's higher per gram in protein than any steak. pic related is tempeh

honestly though i just eat legumes or grains and straight up veggies.
>>
>>7355740
Doesn't it make you grow man titties?
>>
>>7355745
phytoestrogen and mammalian estrogen are completely different
you'll grow titties from drinking milk and eating meath tho
>>
>>7355755
To further expound upon this idea; phytoestrogens do bind to estrogen receptors, however, they're much weaker than other xenoestrogens found in, say, plastics, or animal products. So, in a sense, you're better off consuming phytoestrogens than xenoestrogens originating from animal sources.
>>
dildos
>>
File: boca-meatless-crumbles-288x300.jpg (38 KB, 288x300) Image search: [Google]
boca-meatless-crumbles-288x300.jpg
38 KB, 288x300
>>7355650
I tried experimenting with vegan cooking and I made a pasta sauce with this stuff, it was pretty good but the Boca version is better tbqh. It has a closer texture to real beef, better than the Beyond Beef stuff.

I'd still prefer real meat, though.
>>
i've had okay experiences with yves

i would say stay away from any type of hot dog meat or veggie because when it comes down to it they're all pretty processed. i've never tried tofurky hot dogs though, those look very good and i'd like to hear people's thoughts on them. i'd say stay away from the yves ones though

the yves ground beef is decent. like other anon said it's good in dishes where it's not the main ingredient like pizza, pasta, sandwiches, etc

i've also made pretty decent sloppy joes with them. i just warm it up in a skillet with some grape seed oil and add some salt and tomato paste then served with bread
>>
Meat.
>>
>>7355927
Most of my housemates are vegan/vegetarian, and they seem to really like the tofurky stuff. I'm tempted to give it a shot just because they've made me experiment more with vegan food.
>>
fish
>>
>>7355561

chicken or fish
>>
File: 1370208404332.jpg (63 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1370208404332.jpg
63 KB, 500x500
>>7355957
>meat substitute
>chicken
>>
File: Soylent-Green.gif (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Soylent-Green.gif
18 KB, 400x300
>>7355561
Just remember the taste varies from person to person
>>
>>7355561

pizza
>>
>>7355561
Probably fish
>>
Transitioning from vegetarian to vegan.
Tofu is good for asian dishes
Tempeh is good for sandwiches
Seitan appears to be the holy grail of meat replacements but I personally haven't tried it yet. Looks fun to make
Quorn products are really delicious - try the mince in chili. 10/10. Their fried chicken pieces and burgers taste exactly like chicken. Fooled a few people with them. They had to check the label to make sure I wasn't fucking with them
Linda mccartney regular sausages are good. Might need to try them a couple times to really like them. Best with a full english breakfast or covered with gravy and mashed potatoes
If you want a whole foods diet, mushrooms are excellent for replacing meat. Oven bake portobello mushroom caps for a few mins on each side then throw in a pan to finish off. Top with cheese if desired. Assemble on buns with lettuce, tomato, anything you want on a burger really. 11/10
>>
>>7356162
Are you me
>>
>>7356162
seitan is just gluten though

that must be tough for the faddish vegetarians
>>
>>7355561
M U S H R O O M S
>>
>>7355740
>soy protein isolate is some nasty shit when it comes to health

in which way?
>>
>>7355561
cheese
>>
>>7356162
Quorndon ain't vegan :(
>>
>>7355572
lmao XD
>>
Make tacos with veggie ground beef, you can't tell the difference through all of the seasoning
>>
>>7356162
>Fooled a few people with them.
The first time somebody served me those and said it wasn't real chicken, I thought they were trying to trick me into eating real meat and demanded to see the package too.
>>
File: tvp.jpg (91 KB, 1447x1146) Image search: [Google]
tvp.jpg
91 KB, 1447x1146
Textured Soy/Vegetable Protein can work, especially when using lots of fat in the recipe. Seitan/Fu only if it's processed to change the texture. Tempeh can work as well. Forget Tofu though, it's not meant to be a substitute, it is just a cheap protein source.
>>
>>7356239
Funghi ain't animals
>>
>>7355561
Cheese and mushrooms. Whey if you're just looking for protein.
>>
I use textured soy and seitan. To cook the soy first soak it in hot water, squeeze the water and sautee it with oil while pushing with the spatula to remove more water.
Then when it's about, done turn off the heat and put soy sauce over and mix until the sauce covers the protein. Tastes really nice.
>>
>>7356239
1 I said transitioning
2 they asked for substitutes. Quorn is a meat substitute
3 quorn has released a line of vegan products
>>
If I want meat I eat meat.
If I want vegetables I eat vegetables.

Pretending one can be another is just sad.
>>
>>7355974
phun intended with pic?
>>
File: soylent-green.jpg (25 KB, 461x346) Image search: [Google]
soylent-green.jpg
25 KB, 461x346
>>7355974
>>
Its not a nutritional substitute, but I have been eating more noodles as I've been eating less meat. I like the big chewy japanese noodles.
>>
Eggplant and mushrooms
>>
>>7355561
anyone here have a recipe for tofu tamales?
>>
>>7355561
chicken
>>
>>7355561
glamorgan sausage
>>
I don't think of them as substitutes, but when I don't use meat, my proteins are usually eggs, tofu, and beans of all sorts.

A lot of my vegfag acquaintances scoff at tofu. Well, fuck 'em, I love it. As a meat eater, though, I'll eat anything. I don't much care for the people who feel the need to restrict themselves so much for any reason other than valid medical reasons. And for the people with medical reasons, I sympathize.
>>
File: 1454787979677.png (226 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1454787979677.png
226 KB, 620x670
>>7355650
>feisty crumble
>meat analogue
>not the street name of a short-tempered midget with a heart of gold
>>
>>7355561
fried fish
>>
>>7355744
When I was mostly vegan I did the same. Tofu really upsets my stomach, but tempeh seems to be alright (I hear it's because the fermentation of soy helps aid digestion).

But yea, forget all that soy expensive trash. Eat beans, lentils, split-peas and chick peas.
>>
>>7355561
Daddy's cum. It's the protein most vegans spend their lives craving.
>>
>>7357730

Is simply feeling better a valid reason?

I was travelling with this vegetarian girl 10 years ago and I just never ate meat the whole time. I found I felt a lot better physically, so I decided to stay vegetarian. I grew up hunting, fishing and gutting and butchering animals. Buying meat without killing it and preparing it myself just doesn't sit well with me either. There's not really a medical reason, but I think my reasons are valid enough. I don't really judge people at all for eating meat either. If I lived in the country, I might keep hunting still, but probably not at this point, because I feel like my diet suits my metabolism and keeps me pretty healthy, which is why I never went back to eating meat. Dealing with a carcass is also a lot of work I guess I did enough of.
>>
>>7355650
BEYOND
E
E
F
>>
>>7355561
That's an oxymoron
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.