[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brandy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: cognac-brandy-glass-barrel-wood.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
cognac-brandy-glass-barrel-wood.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2000
How do I into Brandy appreciation? Any particular brands/styles I should start with?
>>
Taste it to see if you appreciate it or not. Pick one a middle shelf bottle and start from there.
>>
Step one is to be a nigger.

I don't know what step two is because that would be racist.
>>
>>7340937
The best bang for your buck is spanish brandy

Avoid california brandy at all costs, it is shit, much like the wine inb4 hurr muh judgment of paris

Cognac and armagnac are really good if you can afford it

Memorize the level grades (solera gran reserva, xo, etc) and like with any "how do I into", drink a variety of things at all quality levels and from all regions except california, in order to develop your palate
>>
Is it true that Wisconsin drinks as much brandy as the entire rest of America combined?
>>
E&J VSOP is surprisingly good considering how cheap it is. If you've never had brandy before, it wouldn't be a bad starting point.
>>
>>7341231
Someone I know brought a bottle of that to a party and we drank a bunch of it. I wasn't expecting much but wow. Tastes like utter shit. It's like they packed the distillates of E&J "wine" in a barrel with a bunch of oak dust, Werther's Originals, and vanilla extract. I tend to believe that there's room for subjectivity in a certain quality band, and below that, we can all agree that something is just objectively bad, but I just did some googling and there seem to be people who legitimately enjoy the taste of that shit. Amazing.

If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel price wise, Romate Solera Reserva is better than anything coming out of California, unless you have ghetto palate. Before I cut back on my home liquor consumption, I used to keep a bottle of Romate for cooking and I sometimes found myself drinking a glass on its own.
>>
>>7341231
No, it really is terrible. Tastes like swill, so much fake flavoring it's repulsive. Spend the money and buy some decent, non-fake flavored shit
>>
File: cardenal-mendoza-l.gif (43 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
cardenal-mendoza-l.gif
43 KB, 250x250
>>7340937
This is a lock, but it's expensive
>>
>>7340937
You into brandy like anything else. Look up something thats professionals say is 'good' or has a premium reputation. Go to a bar. Try it. Buy that expensive one. Buy another. Then try a shit one. And another. Keep trying all ends of the spectrum.

You'll eventually enter into your own opinion, you may like something that sweeter, hints of sherry from the cask, higher vanilla flavours from the american oak. The more you drink, the more you understand what you're drinking. You bypass appreciation to understanding, and that, is whats important.
>>
Courvoisier is decent, a mid-tier price of $30-$40, available at most better liquor shops.
>>
>>7340941
>>7341190
>>7341231
>>7341313
>>7341426
>>7341428
Thanks for the advice brehs. I'll give it a go.
>>
Brandy is good in coffee.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.