[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have: Leek Broccoli Red chili pepper Chopped mushrooms Canned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: 20151104_142428.jpg (951 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20151104_142428.jpg
951 KB, 2560x1440
I have:

Leek
Broccoli
Red chili pepper
Chopped mushrooms
Canned octopus
Oyster sauce

Will this make a decent stir fry? What should I add? I know very little about cooking.
>>
yeah it actually will IMO

with some garlic
>>
>>7042565
THAT OCTOPUS IS NOT CANNED
WARNING
OP IS A LIAR
>>
Not really, no. Not with the 'pus as the star, anyway. Canned 'pus is best eaten as a salad ingredient.
With leeks and 'shrooms plus a few other ingredients, you can make a mushroom gravy to eat with rice and/or mashed potatoes. Also some meat.

Flour, 2tbsp
Oil, 2tbsp
Leek, chopped, 1
Mushrooms, chopped, washed and squeezed of excess moisture, compacted half cup
Salt, as needed
Stock, 1 cup

In SS pan, cook flour and oil together at high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden utensil, until about a shade or two lighter than milk chocolate.
Off the heat and stir in the leeks, mushrooms and a good sprinkling of salt; keep stirring until the sizzling stops.
Up the heat back to high and beat in the stock, whisking to dissolve the flour paste.
Allow to cook down to desired thickness, then serve over meat and rice or mashed potatoes.

Have some sautéed broccoli as a side dish:
Water, as needed
Broccoli, 200g
Oil, as needed
Garlic, sliced, 1-2 cloves
Chilli, sliced, as desired
Salt, as needed

Boil the water.
Chop the broccoli and boil 1 minute, then drain and rinse under cold, running water until the broccoli is cool to the touch.
Put oil, garlic and chilli into a sauté and set to high heat; when fragrant, add broccoli and sauté a minute or two to desired doneness.
Salt to taste and serve.
>>
>>7042599
In the box, is a can. I don't know why this is the case, but it is.
Damnedest thing, that.
>>
>>7042600

i mean it's nice of you to put the effort in and all but you really haven't even tried to engage with what the OP has on hand and is trying to do. and what the fuck are you saying about canned octopus? it's delicious fried.
>>
>>7042600
even if you didn't really help me make a stir fry, this is a good reply and i will save it as a .txt document for future use. thanks

>>7042580
oh yeah forgot that. that's in the fridge.

>>7042607
>canned octopus is delicious fried

oh great, i was kind of guessing with that shit.
>>
>>7042607
>"you didn't use what the op has on hand!!!"
>instructions use literally every perishable ingredient OP listed
uwotm8?

Also, I'm really not a fan of fried, canned 'pus. I'll eat it straight from the can, as-is or mix it into salad. The only cooking I do with canned octopus is a type of fritter with canned octopus, parboiled potatoes, red chillies, coriander leaves, shallot, garlic, lemongrass, eggs, plain flour and various spices but I thought the extra ingredients might be a bit much to suggest.

The preparation is a Sri Lankan thing that's like a cross between Indian bhaji/pakoda and Korean jeon/Japanese okonomiyaki.

I could revise the sautéed brocc suggestion for broccoli in oyster sauce, but thought a SEA dish as a side to my European-sounding suggestion would have been silly.
>>
>>7042665

the guy wants to make a stir fry and you suggested he buy some meat, make some mashed potatoes or rice and pour an insipid gravy over the top of it. then make a stir fry. to eat on the side.

just a bit of a weird engagement with his question.
>>
>>7042708
>make rice
Who eats a stir fry without rice? Are you white trash, Anon?
>insipid gravy
>packed with leeky, mushroomy, stocky flavour
Are you retarded, Anon?
>make a stir fry to eat on the side
Sautés are not stir fries. Are you "special," Anon? Do you want to hug me? I don't like hugs from "special" people. I dislike drool. Please do not hug me, Anon. Please.
>>
>>7042718
I was actually thinking about rice noodles instead of rice for this. What order should I cook everything in anyway? I feel like the leeks and garlic should go first, to set a good base flavor down, but maybe I should just throw everything in together?
>>
>>7042718

how is eating stir fry without rice white trash? where on earth does that come from? do you know what white trash is? i don't think 'eating stir fry without rice' is remotely within the range of stereotypes comprising that group.

again, dude, don't wanna shit on you for putting an effort in and all, but you seem euthanisably retarded.
>>
>>7042737

leeks and garlic should actually go last. mushrooms and octopus should go in first, then broccoli, then leeks garlic and chilli.
>>
>>7042737
Depends.
Leek, garlic, onion and other similar things can be used as an aromatic to create a base flavour at the beginning or added a few steps from the end if using as a vegetable.
Generally, as an aromatic, you want them minced, grated or chopped and as a veg, you want them sliced or wedged.
I make a gingered chicken and leek stir-fry. I use ginger as the aromatic but slice the leek/welsh onion on the bias and use that as a veg nearer the end.
>>
>>7042766
You give fucking horrible advice. You ought to be shot in the mouth.
>here, put in this already cooked thing at the beginning to toughen it and make it chewy and unpleasant!
>>
>>7042771

so the thing about octopus and squid is that they want to either be cooked very fast and fresh, or cooked down for a long time. canned octopus has basically been pressure cooked over the course of the canning process. you can't hope to have the texture of fresh octopus. what you want to do is get some colour on it, crisp up the outside and give it that luxurious braised texture. so yes, you definitely want it to go in first.
>>
>>7042777
>crisp
>braised
lol
>>
>>7042782

i wasn't saying they were the same properties, anon. they are different properties. a very common method of cooking octopus is to braise it whole, then break it down and fry the pieces in hot oil. this is essentially what i am recommending, it is IMO the best use of canned octopus. are you just really salty about something? you seem excessively confrontational.
>>
>>7042766
>>7042768
Maybe I could mince some of the leek amd put it in at the beginning with the garlic, and then dice the rest of the leek to add at the end. Should I go ahead and use the soybean oil from the octopus can?
>>
>>7042791

the oil will taste of octopus but have a lowered smoke point because of the dissolved solids in it from the octopus. i wouldn't use it for high heat cooking personally.

i would julienne the leek and add it at the end. i wouldn't add the garlic at the start because it will burn. you can use the cores of the leek coarsely chopped at the start though to give it some colour.
>>
>>7042805
>stir-fry
>not high heat
lol
>>
>>7042878

what is it with this thread and people making snarky comments that merely demonstrate they cannot read?
>>
>>7042884
>gives shit "advice" demonstrating her lack of cooking knowledge
>she gets pissy when it's pointed out
lol
>>
>>7042890

it doesn't demonstrate a lack of cooking knowledge to say that i wouldn't stir fry something with an oil that can't take high heat. who pissed on your chips mate? are you the guy who recommended that OP makes meat and potatoes in response to a question about how to make a fucking stir fry?
>>
>>7042901
>stir fry
>not high heat
lol
>>
>>7042904

i don't understand what compels a person to post like this.
>>
>>7042805
>you can use the cores of the leek coarsely chopped at the start though to give it some colour.

same with the stem of the broccoli, if you cut away the outer woodlike layer it's nice
>>
>>7042908
>can't cook
>gives cooking "advice"
four-watt porpoise?
>>
>>7042911

yeah OP if you don't use the stem of the broccoli when you cook it you must sudoku immediately.

>>7042913

>goofy self-satisfied little word games

oh so you are that guy. you should get over it buddy.
>>
>>7042922
>thoroughly #rekt
>continues #maximumdamagecontrol
lol
>>
OP here, holy fuck you guys are worse than /tv/ in this bitch

>>7042911
>>7042922
>broccoli stem

I eat that shit raw dude.

Is adding egg to this a shit idea?
>>
>>7042989
>Is adding egg to this a shit idea?

i wouldn't, i think it would homogenise the texture a bit and mute the flavours, but i wouldn't worry too much if you wanna give it a go.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.