[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Course-like cook books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: imagepull.php.gif (13 KB, 353x360) Image search: [Google]
imagepull.php.gif
13 KB, 353x360
Hey fellow anons, does anyone know a good cook book that basically teaches you about food the way a college course would? I love cooking and have a heap of cook books myself, but I find it frustrating that most popular cook books just limit themselves to "throw X amount of Y into the pan and cook for Z time", without explaining why you need X amount and how you define Z time. I know a lot of cooking is learnt by doing, but I was wondering if there are any cook books that generally teach you about cooking theory?
>>
>>7336353
modernist cuisine
>>
>>7336358

Yep, that. Or, "The Professional Chef", which is literally a college textbook. The current version is expensive but you can get prior versions (just as good) on Amazon (or other used bookstore) for a fraction of the price.
>>
>>7336370
Who's the author? I'm seeing several books with a title like that..
>>
File: scienceofgoodcooking.jpg (402 KB, 2168x2560) Image search: [Google]
scienceofgoodcooking.jpg
402 KB, 2168x2560
most of the other cook's illustrated cookbooks talk about the reasoning behind the recipes too.
>>
>>7336380

Any of them. There's something like 14 editions of the book, perhaps more.

I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Chef-Culinary-Institute-America/dp/0471382574/r
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.