[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does my carbonara taste "fishy"? >used good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Why does my carbonara taste "fishy"?

>used good olive oil, pecorino and pancetta
>used organic eggs with minimum amount of whites
>the source was not runny (i.e uncooked egg) when added to the pan
>added enough cheese

I don't know anymore. The taste is god awful thanks to fishy taste from the eggs.
>>
>>7328131
>used good olive oil
are you sure? rancid olive oil can be fishy
>>
>>7328131
did you check iff the eggs were spoiled?

also, rancid olive oil is quite fishy.
>>
It's literally five ingredients. Just taste each ingredient individually to identify where the off taste comes from.
>>
i tried making carbonara for the first time last night op, looks like yours was less of a miserable failure than mine was.
>>
>>7328131
it's the eggs
some chicken are fed with dried ground fish
organic or not
>>
>>7328131
also what cheese did you use?
>>
>>7328131
>source
>was not uncooked when added to the pan
What the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>7328238
>>7328320
>>7328365
Definitely not olive oil. I used the same oil for salads and I don't taste anything fishy from it.

I think it's the egg. The expiration date is still a month away though.

>>7328367
Pecorino.

>>7328378
I should've explained it a bit better.

What I meant was:
>adding eggs (with minimal whites), grated pecorino and abundance pepper into a bowl
>whisk it
>than pour that onto a hot pan (which has cooked spaghetti/pancetta in it)
>>
>>7328403
As he said, the egg can be flavoured by what the hen ate.
>>
>>7328131
It was either the eggs, the oil or the pancetta. Pancetta especially can taste fishy if it's bad so check it and make sure your shit is fresh
>>
>>7328131
It could be the water you boiled the pasta in.
>>
>>7328352
Don't give up friend, try again. Chef John has a video that might help you identify what went wrong. Once you get the hang of it, carbonara is really easy to make and delicious as fuck.
>>
Tasty looking 'nara you've got there, friend.

Sorry to hear it's a little 'shy.
>>
>>7328131
You may have oversalted the pasta water. High salinity can cause a bad reaction with semolina that has been described as having a fishy flavor.
>>
>>7328131
What kind of pan did you use? I've gotten that from funky cast iron before.
>>
>>7328131 If you know it's the eggs, why not change them? If you know what the problem is, fix it. Change eggs. If your carbonara tastes fishy even after you changed eggs, try looking for another reason why.
>>
>>7328326
THIS/10
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.