[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever been advised against ordering something by a waiter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 1412382177282.jpg (26 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1412382177282.jpg
26 KB, 500x500
Have you ever been advised against ordering something by a waiter?

One time at an Italian place, my mom tried to order the shrimp scampi but the server urged her not to, calling it "pretty disgusting". She went with a different dish.
>>
Waiters will almost always try to up sell certain items, but I've never personally been steered away from something aside from that.

I did work as a line cook and would often tell the waitstaff to avoid selling certain items, for various reasons, sometimes just because they're new and it's busy and getting too many orders of shit you aren't set up for will fuck up the entire kitchen.
>>
File: 71.jpg (115 KB, 1024x671) Image search: [Google]
71.jpg
115 KB, 1024x671
When you go to a nice sushi place, ask the sushi chef what he recommends. If they like you they sometimes let you sample stuff.
>>
Mozzarella sticks. Ordered takeout from this middle eastern falafel bar and I was just in the mood to binge so i when I got there I asked her to add the sticks to my order. She just said no cuz she thought they were an abomination as they were obviously only on the menu to appease the people that only eat 'murican foods wherever they go. She's probably right, they were likely just frozen shit
>>
File: holyshitIloveit.jpg (14 KB, 300x277) Image search: [Google]
holyshitIloveit.jpg
14 KB, 300x277
>Go out for breakfast with my family
>Dad asks waitress if the gyro omelet is good
>waitress says "Well, I know people who like it, but I'd never eat it because it has meat in it, I'm a vegan."
>Dad stares at her for a long moment
>Dad orders gyro omelet with extra meat
>mfw
>>
>>7327048
Should fire her in an instant. That's like a nun running a brothel, or a hotel being managed by nazis.
>>
>>7327048
10/10.

>>7327170
>Not wanting to stay at a Nazi hotel with Jew-free closets
>>
>>7326987
I once ordered some salami at the deli counter and the server told me "you should get this other one instead" (pointing to a slightly different variety of salami).

I asked her why and she just repeated that I should get the other one, so I did.

I'm still not sure whether she was doing me a favour because there was something wrong with the original I had ordered, or whether she just wanted to move this different variety because it was reaching its sell-by date.

It was all a bit weird.
>>
>>7327176
I guess it wouldn't be too bad. Just don't take a shower.
>>
File: 1443022052009.jpg (64 KB, 650x486) Image search: [Google]
1443022052009.jpg
64 KB, 650x486
>>7326987
One time we went to a cajun place and my sister (doesn't eat seafood) ordered a chicken fried steak. The old ass waitress rudely barked at her not to order that, it was AWFUL. My sister tried to order it again and the waitress kept making a big deal about how bad it was and how she should order some kind of bullshit crawfish. I told the waitress to shut up and bring out a chicken fried steak and she made a big deal about it. Then she never came back to refill our water, I walked into the little waitress galley area and brought a pitcher of water to the table and the waitress got pissed. I'm pretty sure she was drunk or on pills. She was rude as fuck, terrible at her job, and the chicken fried steak ended up being decent. That was probably the only time I didn't leave a tip, and I'm a generous tipper.
>>
>>7327209
Why were you so adamant about getting the chicken fried steak? Just a principle thing?
What if it turned out to be terrible.
>>
>>7327209
Dude they probably injected the steak with aids, y u do dis man
>>
>>7327209
I would of left the table a mess.
>>
File: Pizza chicken.jpg (75 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
Pizza chicken.jpg
75 KB, 636x636
>>7327209
I had to look up what chicken fried steak is. Americans.
>>
>>7327218
It wasn't terrible, the waitress was just some 60 year old drunk white trash bitch who tried to make a scene. Wait staff should just take the order and fill up my glass. If I want their opinion I'll ask.
>>
>>7327224
You mean schnitzel, tonkatsu, escalope, milanesa?

You fucking dip.
>>
>>7327224
>doesn't know what chicken fried steak is

Are you retarded?
>>
>>7327224
I'm American and I've only heard of it on Hank of the Hill before now.
>>
>>7327254
Good lord, that's really sad.
Chicken fried steak is one of my favorite foods. It's somewhere between fried chicken, a roast, a steak, and a hamburger. It's delicious. There's a reason it's ubiquitous around the world in some form or another. It turns peasant food and a shit cut of meat into a hearty, filling meal.
>>
>>7327209
I wouldn't order chicken-fried steak because you can't see the fatty bits to remove them.
>>
>>7327261
I dislike fried chicken, actually.
>>
>>7327048

I'm a vegetarian and serve meat to people all the time. When they ask for a recommendation I just say something off the top of my head since I aven't tried any of the food.
>>
>>7326987
No, but the sales lady at the baker yesterday advised me to buy a different kind of wholemeal bread (in form of 2 big rolls instead of a loaf) since it was fresher.
>>
>>7327209
>I didn't leave a tip
jesus, how poor are you?
>>
>>7327574
dont get this shit started pls
>>
>>7327224
How do I obtain what's in the picture?
>>
>>7326987
I've had to advise people against ordering plenty of foods while I was working in a pretty high-tier restaurant. Mostly oven dumplings or other stuff that cooks for ages, when people came in to have a quick meal before heading off to an x event.
>>
>>7327263
Its generally cube steak, which is tenderized top sirlion. Not much fat to cut away
>>
>>7326987
I am a waiter and have advised against food before. I don'tdo it often but when I do it's because I know that my guests will be unhappy
>>
>>7326987
order the arsenic chicken nuggets and arsenic fries. its u.s.a. court approved
>>
A little server trick I figured out when a customer wants to order something that is undoubtedly shitty:

>I'd like the sweer potato with quinky sauce
Have you had this before?
>No
I wouldn't recommend it

They appreciate the honesty and get a laugh out of it.
>>
>>7326987
I've had wait staff tell me the following things:
>If you order this it will take 1 hour
>We're low on ingredient X so it won't taste as good
>The fryer oil hasn't been changed yet so it won't taste good
>It's actually cheaper if you order this X+Y+Z combo instead

>>7327048
kek vegans are fucking hilarious
>>
>>7328132
Only once at some chicken wing joint when I ordered their hottest wings. I'm assuming they're just told to tell everyone who orders it that it's going to be hot as shit.

I'm not big on hot foods but I liked it.
>>
>>7328137
Fuck didn't mean to reply
>>
>>7327222
>would of
leave nigger
>>
waiters are pretty good at recommending stuff (unless they're women, because they can't do anything well except complain) and usually the specials are pretty good if they sound reasonable.
>>
Let me just start with this: Pork rinds aren't a thing around here.

Local joint was serving deep fried pork rinds as an appetizer so when I saw it on the menu I figured I'd try them,when go to order, waitress told me that most people who tried them hated them. "ohok.jpg" So I ordered something else. When we got our actual appetizer the waitress brought out a free sample serving of the pork rinds for us to try, turns out they actually do taste like shit and I'm glad the waitress steered us in a different direction.
>>
>>7327023

she probably just fucking hated you. for good reason, too.

>go to middle eastern food joint
>eat the same bland garbage food as always
>>
>>7327224

>that picture

disgusting

>>7327261

looks like shit my man. inferior in any way to a Wiener Schnitzel.

why the fuck does it even have chicken in its name?
>>
>>7327224
>supposedly italian cuisine
>moon runes
>merrika

For a country that sells imitation cheese and fried chocolate, Im not surprised.
>>
>>7328197

>moon runes
>merrika

It's Chinese, idiot.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.