[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is what is wrong, America.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 17
File: 20160130_214123.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160130_214123.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
The back of a king sized butteringer bar.
>>
File: 299.png (83 KB, 247x185) Image search: [Google]
299.png
83 KB, 247x185
>>7326305
>gluten free
>on a candy bar
I'm an American and I think THAT's ridiculous.
>>
>>7326312
OP here. I'm also an american. I just ate both halves. I'm of average weight.

In their defense, they did have a label on the back that said know your portion, 1 half=230 calories.
>>
>>7326305
>MADE IN THE USA (with globally sourced ingredients)
hmm
>>7326312
I'm an American and plenty of candy bars have cookie fillings or something similar made with flour
>>
File: IMG_1453869557100.jpg (10 KB, 236x243) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1453869557100.jpg
10 KB, 236x243
>the good stuff
>on a candy bar
>psuedo-nutritional information
>implying there is anything nutritionally good about a candy bar
>>
>>7326305
It's Gluten Free! So yea.. it uhhh... must be healthy!
>>
>>7326320
Nestle's been using corn for Butterfinger since the 90's, anon.
>>
>>7326312
Just because one bar doesn't contain wheat doesn't mean that it wouldn't be processed in a factory that does, you American dumbass

>>7326305
The first ingredient listed on the back is corn syrup and this is the stupid shit you choose to take a picture of instead?
>>
>>7326305
>butteringer
>>
>>7326305
>butterringer
>not posting calorie count

An hero
>>
Do you morons actually believe that when a product description states that the product is free of gluten then they are trying to claim that the product is healthy by default? Seriously?
It's just there to advice those who can't eat gluten that this product is safe for them to eat. But not that the product is necessarily healthy.

W O W
O
W E E
>>
>>7326589
It says "The Good Stuff!" Many people would think this implies it's not totally bad for you.
>>
>>7326639
it's good news for people who can't eat gluten
>>
File: flying-birds-60.jpg (37 KB, 604x434) Image search: [Google]
flying-birds-60.jpg
37 KB, 604x434
>made in the usa
>by illegaly underpaidl mexican workers
>with imported ingredients indonesia
>packaging made in china
>< supporting the american economREEE ><
>>
>>7326394
Except that they can claim it is gluten free even if it's processed in a shared plant because none of their listed ingredients contain gluten. The FDA only even created a regulatory guideline for "gluten-free" in 2013.
>>
>>7326305
"Yes, I'd like the giant bar of chocolate please. No! Not that one! Jesus, are you trying to kill me? Give me the gluten free one!"
>>
>>7327644
>"Yes, I'd like the giant bar of chocolate please. No! Not that one! Jesus, are you trying to kill me? Give me the gluten free one!"
Said the healthy person who can't eat gluten but enjoys the occasional treat and/or is loading up on calories before an intensive workout.
>>
>>7327813
If you're loading up on calories before a workout you wouldn't eat chocolate, because it has no protein or fibre, you would eat peanut butter or something
>>
>>7327821
>i've never worked out
The post.
You don't want protein or fibre before a workout.

www.google.com.au/search?q=fibre+before+a+workout
>>
>>7327831
You also don't want food before a workout.

>.au
Shitposting the country.
>>
>>7327838
>i've been proven wrong so i'll spit the dummy and resort to name calling
go to your room!
>>
Gluten tastes like shit.
>>
File: 123123.jpg (30 KB, 503x441) Image search: [Google]
123123.jpg
30 KB, 503x441
>>7330411
>>
>>7327565
Really? Seems inefficient to be regulating each individual ingredient like that. In Australia you can't claim anything is free of anything unless there is absolutely no risk of cross contamination with that item.
>>
I'm honestly surprised that I haven't seen gluten free labels on toilet paper.
I've even had the displeasure of seeing vegan shoe labels in stores. I can't comprehend this shit.
>>
>globally sourced
so, nothing from outer space?
no thanks, then.
>>
>>7326305
what the fuck is gluten
>>
>>7326347
That's the only reasonable use for plastic cheese.
Still horrifying though.
>>
>>7326305
I agree. A king size candy bar is indeed wrong.
>>
Gluten free is the new fat free.
>>
>>7334116
How can you be this ignorant?
>>
>>7330411
says anon as he eats a bowl of flour
>>
Doesn't your brain need gluten?
>>
>>7334134
No, you're thinking of fluoride.
>>
>>7326312
What exactly is unreasonable about that? Do candy bars traditionally not have gluten?

I'm genuinely curious what went through your head when you posted that. If anything.
>>
>buy a stalk of broccoli
>giant green "GLUTEN FREE" sticker on it

I want this to end.
>>
>>7326318
>230 calories
Fucking hell
>>
>>7334165
>people with celiac disease should die
/reddit/: the edge
>>
>>7334139
no I'm thinking of gluten
>>
File: they hate it.jpg (129 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
they hate it.jpg
129 KB, 900x675
>>7334165
>Borrow roommate's laundry detergent
>Gluten Free
>>
>>7334169
>People with celiacs disease should understand how their disease works
>People who want to avoid gluten for any reason should understand what gluten is
>People should buy products simply because it has a huge sticker that says "gluten free", when that product would never have any gluten in it at all
>>
>>7334197
>I literally want to murder people with an inherited disorder
>I fucking love Adolf Hitler and the Nazis
First they came for the Celiac's and I said nothing for I was not a celiac
Then they came for the trans fats and I didn't give any fucks because honestly I don't eat yank trashfood and such
Finally they came for the sushi and no one spoke because all the weebs were dead ;_;
>>
>>7334210
People with celiacs disease should understand how their disease works
People who want to avoid gluten for any reason should understand what gluten is
>>
>>7334219
Fuck off Adolf Hitler
>>
>>7334225
People with celiacs disease should understand how their disease works
>>
>>7334228
Fuck off Adolf Hitler
>>
>>7334232
People should understand how celiacs disease works
>>
>>7334237
Fuck off Adolf Hitler
>>
are you faggots really this triggered over a candy bar?
>>
>>7334243
understand how celiacs disease works
>>
Entered the fucking twilight zone here
>>
>>7334249
>I unironically believe that people with a genetic condition that doesn't affect me in any tangible way deserve to be tortured to death and exterminated
/reddit/: the edge
>>
>>7334257
People who want to avoid gluten for any reason should understand what gluten is
>>
>>7334261
Adolf Hitler and the nazi party pls go
>>
>>7334263
People should understand what gluten is
>>
>>7334271
Hitler and his followers should go back to nazi Germany and reddit
>>
>>7334276
People who want to avoid gluten should understand what gluten is
>>
>>7334279
People who support Nazis and their policies should go to reddit where they belong
>>
>>7334261
My wife does have Celiac, the reaction from eating gluten is her own intestines trying to digest themselves which means that even a single grain of flour can be enough to trigger the reaction. Who needs to understand how the disease works is you, because you just seem to be either really stupid or ignorant by believing that things like cross contamination don't exist.
As long as there is another product containing gluten being made in the same building, according to the law, you cannot put "Gluten free" on the package. Stop being such a bitch.
>>
Cap this trainwreck
>>
>>7334219
Stop and think for a moment (if that's possible).
Imagine of you had to avoid a specific ingrediant that is in a lot of foods. Wouldn't it be convenient for you if more products were labeled to state clearly that that particular product is free of that ingredient? Don't you think it would make shopping a lot easier? Or do you think there is a website somewhere that lists every single item that contains gluten and people who need to avoid gluten should download that list and refer to it while strolling around the supermarket isles? Wouldn't you then be complaining about people spending forever int he supermarket?

Also look at it from the manufacturer's perspective. They know that a lot of people need to avoid gluten for health reasons. It's not just a matter of personal taste. These people simply cannot consume an item that contains gluten, and often if there's any doubt about whether a particular item contains gluten then the customer will simply not buy that item because it's not worth the risk. So if an item has no gluten it's in the manufacturer's best interest to label it as such to avoid alienating a whole group of potential buyers.

If you can eat gluten then you can either ignore the label because it doesn't apply to you or complain about it endlessly on the internet to display your autism to entire world.
>>
>>7334289
>Stop being such a bitch
>His faggot wife will die if she eats a slice of fucking bread

Who's the real bitch?
>>
>>7334289

this is a nice bait

I don't want to think that anyone can be this retarded
>>
>>7334315
the bitch is the idiot who cries about things that don't effect him while inadvertently raising awareness for the cause.

keep crying, bitch. it helps us all.
>>
>>7334289
>As long as there is another product containing gluten being made in the same building, according to the law, you cannot put "Gluten free" on the package
Why would you assume that anything that wouldn't be made near anything with flour would have Gluten anywhere near it?

>you just seem to be either really stupid or ignorant by believing that things like cross contamination don't exist
1. You do have a reason to fear cross contamination, but so does literally everybody
You're more likely to be struck by lightning than get food that has been contaminated
2. For example, Butterfinger, made by nestle, is almost certainly made in the same building that products that do have gluten in them

>>7334287
People should want to understand what gluten is
>>
>>7334322

>cause
>keep crying bitch

so gluten allergic assholes are every bit of pretentious as I thought. Nice. If you have a fucking allergy deal with it.
>>
>>7334289
I hope your wife chokes to death on a big black cock and fucking dies you cum-guzzling fucktard.
>>
>>7334327
>If you have a fucking allergy deal with it.
I do. And apparently you are too. Thanx voluntarily choosing to make my issue yours as well. Together we can beat this! Thanx bro.
>>
File: laffin fam.png (20 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
laffin fam.png
20 KB, 120x120
>>7334322
>His faggot wife can't eat a fucking turkey sandwich without keeling over and dying
>>
>>7334335
>tfw no wife
cry harder permavirgin
>>
>>7334311
>Wouldn't it be convenient for you if more products were labeled to state clearly that that particular product is free of that ingredient
FDA mandates that all products have an ingredient list

>Also look at it from the manufacturer's perspective
People only include unnecesary labels to follow trends

>If you have a fucking allergy deal with it
deal with it by understanding what triggers you and avoiding it
Don't eat at a restaurant if you think you might get sick eating it
Don't eat a food period if you think you might get sick eating it

>>7334322
>keep crying, bitch. it helps us all.
everyone in this thread or who would respond to this thread knows what gluten is
/ck/ is one of the slowest boards on 4cha
>>
>>7334340
>FDA mandates that all products have an ingredient list
Never bought fresh fruit and veggies? Your obesity is showing.

>People only include unnecesary labels to follow trends
The internet is a relatively new trend. Youre using the internet. Trend follower.

>Don't eat a food period if you think you might get sick eating it
Exactly why manufacturers label their gluten free products. When in doubt, leave it out. So if it's labeled then there's no doubt. You stupid or something?
>>
File: 1453915657582.jpg (68 KB, 884x800) Image search: [Google]
1453915657582.jpg
68 KB, 884x800
>>7334210
>>
File: badour.png (72 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
badour.png
72 KB, 250x250
>>7334339
>Getting married
Have fun losing half your stuff when she cucks you (then dies from eating accidentally inhaling fucking Mini Wheats dust leaving you to pay for her cuckspawn).
>>
File: aaaaaaaa-51.jpg (233 KB, 715x538) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaa-51.jpg
233 KB, 715x538
>american neet drunk posting hours
abort!
>>
>>7334355
>Never bought fresh fruit and veggies? Your obesity is showing.
Fresh fruit and veggies aren't products, they are produce
lrn2english

>The internet is a relatively new trend. Youre using the internet. Trend follower.
I was born in 1995, the internet is actually older than me

>Exactly why manufacturers label their gluten free products
Some products have transfats, but people stopped caring about trans fats so manufacturers stopped printing about them
gluten-free is a meme
>>
I want /int/ to leave. I've noticed this particular crossboard issue for awhile and it needs to go, especially the ausfalian abortions.

>t. former /int/ browser

>>>/int/
>>
>>7334375
What's the matter Pajeet? Can't stand the banter?
>>
What the fuck is gluten? I've been given so many varying answers. Can someone give me a straight no bullshit description?
>>
>>7334407
It's a protein compound found in wheat, barely, and rye
Basically, if it doesn't have any of those ingredients, it's gluten free
>>
>>7334140
>>7327565
>>
>>7334409
So why do people see it as unhealthy?
>>
>>7334411
It was the new cholesterol, trans fats, sodium, or carbs
It wasn't unhealthy, but people with specific sensitive conditions (celiacs, people with hypertension, etc) got really sick from eating it, so the media distorted that to mean that food with low amounts or no amounts of the substances HAD to be healthier
>>
>>7334416
I don't think trans fats are on the same level as gluten.
>>
>>7334434
Yeah but American education and mass media are both retarded.
>>
>>7334434
Oh but they are
It's not about the number of people who can get sick from consuming them, it's about people trying to capture public attention/get new customers who don't actually know any better with a new fad
>>
>>7334441
>American education and mass media
kek
Like people in other countries can even TVs or books
As if people in countries that could afford those things would ever care about what actually goes into their food, because they don't have access to a diverse source of food like Americans do
>>
>>7334442
Gluten-free is helpful for coeliacs, and people with gluten intolerance (if it's a real thing, who knows..)

Trans fat-free is helpful for anyone who doesn't want to fucking die. (And to a lesser extent, sodium and cholesterol.)
>>
>>7334470
>Gluten-free is helpful for coeliacs
I'm sure, but that's not why they are there
Manufacturers don't put "part of a healthy breakfast" or "a great source of fiber" for people who actually need those things, they do it to capture the health food craze fad
When people will shell out 50 bucks for a diet plan based on a rare fruit not grown locally, activated almonds, or any other bullshit thing, you better believe that there's an insanely high profit margin for using a little bit more ink

>>7334470
>Trans fat-free is helpful for anyone who doesn't want to fucking die
So why aren't there more labels like this, especially because everyone is at risk for this, not just less than 1% of the population
>>
>>7334477
I don't know, marketing is weird, it's on the nutrition panel for anyone that gives a shit anyway (unlike gluten).

I was only refuting this point:
>It wasn't unhealthy, but people with specific sensitive conditions [...]
>>
>>7334501
>unlike gluten
If it has wheat, barely, rye, or any products containing anything derived from those, it would be on the ingredients list as those things
People with celiacs should understand what gluten is and where it comes from
Not everything is going to have a "gluten free" label, what's more is that doctors shouldn't be telling them to "avoid gluten" without properly explaining what it is

>I was only refuting this point
Okay, sure
Also, transfats, like most things, are okay in the right amount
>>
>>7334513
>Not everything is going to have a "gluten free" label
No, but then they could just stick to things that do, and be okay. They probably just want to live like normal people and not inspect the entire ingredients list and have to worry about cross contamination in plants that also process gluten stuff. Labels are helpful.

>okay in the right amount

n-no. the fda is removing it from everything in the next couple years. they're quite convinced it's not okay.
>>
>>7334530
>They probably just want to live like normal people and not inspect the entire ingredients list
Normal people who are concerned about what they put into their body inspect the ingredients list
What is honestly the difference between looking for a box that says gluten free and reading an ingredient list
like, 10 seconds maybe?

>have to worry about cross contamination in plants
Why do you keep saying this
It's not a rule
Food is actually allowed to have an insanely small amount of gluten in it, as long as it's not over 20 ppm (parts per million)

>they're quite convinced it's not okay
only artificial trans fats
>>
>>7334544
>>7334530
Not only that, you're probably more likely to find something that has a gluten free label on it that was produced in a plant that would have never had any flour near it at all than you would something that was produced in the same plant as stuff with gluten
>>
>>7334411
Because around 1% of the population has a disorder where even trace amounts of it cause severe health problems. Even foods that, to an autistic self absorbed child, ,"should " have no gluten, actually do. This is because factory processed foods use a lot of adjuncts to control texture and consistency, and adjacent production lines result in cross contamination.

For some reason people have gotten used to the idea of nut allergy warnings on food, but gluten allergies result in a fuck ton of fedora tipping and HURR DO U EVEN KNOW WHAT GLUTEN IS
>>
>>7335089
Less than that. 1 in 141.
http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/celiac-disease/Pages/facts.aspx
>>
>>7335089
Google it yourself autismo

It's sad that you've been railing against food allergy warnings on an anonymous chongryon juche BBS for 10 hours straight

Do you even sleep?
>>
>>7332434
A protein found in grains
>>
>>7326589
>claim
More like trick idiot consumers. I wouldn't have a problem with it normally, but since I'm subsidizing these very same idiots' health care with my tax dollars it bothers me.
>>
>>7335419
Not eating gluten isn't going to make them unhealthy. I don't see why it's a concern for you.
>>
>>7335422
Because liberals don't know food allergies can't happen without the devil
Believe in Christ and you won't be allergic anymore. Prayer also cures cancer and AIDS
>>
>>7335419
>I'm subsidizing these very same idiots' health care with my tax dollars
Can you please explain what this means because I seriously don't know, and can you let me know what you're doing to protest against drinkers, smokers, obese people, sports people, and basically anyone who engages in activity that adds risk to personal injury. Oh and soldiers too.
I'll be back in ten hours to read your reply so take your time.
Thanks in advance.
>>
File: kosher-symbols1-295x204[1].png (80 KB, 295x204) Image search: [Google]
kosher-symbols1-295x204[1].png
80 KB, 295x204
You should all shut the fuck up for a moment and think about the real issue here.
The issue of Jew friendly product label on food. Kosher label is way more important than a fucking allergy warning.
>>
>>7326305
The average customer is whats wrong.
You print on products what customers like.
>>
>>7326589
>actually believe that when a product description states that the product is free of gluten then they are trying to claim that the product is healthy by default? Seriously?

This is absolutely true for many people. Years ago there was no packaging for food. You went to the market and the food was weighed or bagged for you but there were no brand names and no fancy packaging. As food production started being industrialized then you started getting brand names of products on cans, bags, boxes, etc. And with that came various advertising info, etc. During the 1970's the fat scare started, and food started being labeled "FAT FREE" or "LOW FAT" in order to appeal to those customers who wanted to eat less fat. And as time progressed the various other bogeymen of the day were also marked "free" on food: sugar-free, cholesterol-free, and so on. People got used to the fact that when food said it was "free" from something then that something must necissarily be bad. Most people have no clue what gluten is, so when they see a product marked "gluten free" they assume that gluten must be big and bad and scary just like fat, sugar, and cholesterol before it.

Of course, a person who actually has Celiac disease needs to know if a food contains gluten or not. But marketers have figured out that a lot of other people will buy products marked "gluten free", the same way they are attracted to "cholesterol free", etc.
>>
>>7335453
>Can you please explain what this means because I seriously don't know

Candy bar = unhealthy, but some people will buy them simply because they mistakenly believe that "gluten free" means it's healthy. Those fatasses are a drain on the healthcare system, which my tax money pays for.

>>against drinkers, smokers, obese people....
those are all problems too but I'm assuming Anon didn't mention them because those vices are not relevant to the thread.
>>
>>7336192
>whether or not cheim can have a cheeky chocolate is more important than peanuts killing 5-year-olds or gluten warping the stomachs of genuine coeliacs
>>
>>7336225
Says the jew. Hitler was right.
>>
>>7336219
Nigger, it's just a bloody allergy warning, not a fucking "health" fad. It only became more easily noticeable, because there is higher demand for gluten free products and that's the case simply because it turns out celiac is way more common than people believed it to be.
It was so rare in most cases it was just misdiagnosed as completely unrelated intestine disease, now people are aware something as celiac exists, so they can identify it more often, as simple as that. Fuckwit.
>>
>>7333751
Where the hell can I find that picture of the laughing girl covered head to toe in that cheese, showering in ketchup
>>
>>7336248
>Nigger, it's just a bloody allergy warning

It's more than that. See >7336215

It's become more easily noticeable because marketers have figured out that marking ____ Free on foods results in higher sales.

Check out some of the videos on youtube about what happens when people are asked what gluten is. You'll see people, usually younger women, who will say things like "oh, it makes you fat".
>>
>>7336430
Gluten triggers zonulin release and there is now sufficient evidence that people can react negatively to gluten without meeting the diagnostic criteria for either celiac disease or IBS (fructan intolerance).
>>
File: bean_sprouts.jpg (415 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
bean_sprouts.jpg
415 KB, 1600x1200
In Canada we have bean sprout bags specifying CHOLESTEROL FREE
>>
>>7336248
An actual allergy warning works the other way around. All allergens, or potential trace allergens from cross contamination, need to be declared if they ARE there, not if they aren't.

I don't think gluten was an officially recognized allergen until recently, though, so manufacturers have gotten away with not worrying about it.
>>
>>7334322
>it helps us all
pandering to a bunch of hypochondriac eating disorder crazies fucks everyone over
>>
>>7337374
Explain.
>>
>>7336430
>marketers have figured out that marking ____ Free on foods results in higher sales.
Obviously, captain fucking obvious. Because the people who get sick by eating certain things will not buy something if they suspect that it may contain an ingredient that could make them sick if they eat it. "When in doubt, leave it out". So when a company labels their product as being free of a particular ingredient then they open up a whole new market for themselves. Like when a product is labeled as 'halal' then the muslim market is open to them. More markets = more sales.
I don't see how this is a bad thing, assuming that products are labeled correctly.

If you're stupid enough to buy a chocolate bar thinking it is healthy food simply because it is labeled as 'gluten free' then that's your problem.
>>
>>7337995
What you're not getting is that this idiot is the same kind of self absorbed fedora that gets gigatriggered by halal and kosher labels. In his mind, anyone who doesn't think, eat, talk, walk, look, or have the exact same physiology as he does is either trolling or insane. Also, everyone should be raging drunk all the time to prove they're not a feminist christfag from the south (at least he's not the south)
>>
>>7326639
Then those people are obviously idiots so if they die of diabetes then that's good for the gene pool.

>>7326359
>>
>>7337374
>pandering to a bunch of hypochondriac eating disorder crazies fucks everyone over
Explain please.
>>
>>7336237
So you're in support of the kosher label, then?
Is this pure ideology?
>>
>>7341156
Because it's annoying and why can't they just be normal.
>>
>>7341421
Not him, but I'm kind of Jewish (by technicality) and the only jews you will ever meet who care about kosher are insufferable kikes of the highest order. Those kinds of Jews are why Hitler wanted to wipe us all out. They're like Taliban, but more annoying.
>>
>>7334139
kek
>>
>>7341430
Don't worry it'll all be over soon when Trump becomes president and starts a nuclear war that will wipe out most of the human race and then we can repopulate the earth with human clones made of the same genetic composition withOUT that pesky gluten intolerance and we'll never have to see that annoying 'gluten free' label again!

go go gmo clones!
>>
>op btfo and got so mad he hid his own thread
kek
>>
File: hypochondriacs-handbook.jpg (40 KB, 490x691) Image search: [Google]
hypochondriacs-handbook.jpg
40 KB, 490x691
>>7334411
>So why do people see it as unhealthy?

Because the media told them so and then they posted it on their Facebook page and their equally stupid friends decided they needed to be “gluten free!” also and so on.

My hypochondriac germaphobe friend is typical of the type of modern American, who immediately claim they’ve got whatever is the latest meme “condition” the Mainstream Media and Big Pharmaceutical tells them they’ve got, (he says he’s got carpel tunnel, gluten intolerance, sleep apnea and I forgot what else) and of course he has to adopt whatever stupid dietary regimes, pills and treatments they’re shilling this week and insists that everybody ought to join him in his latest circular wild goose chase.

Meanwhile, I eat whatever the fuck I want while smoking a pack of cigarets a day and feel fine.
>>
>>7342704
>the media told them so
Show me a single news article that says gluten is unhealthy for regular people.

Does your (pretend) friend know that you're talking shit about him behind his back? Do you ever say these things to him directly?
>>
>>7341503
I think you meant to put this is /pk/ anon
>>
>>7342723
I meant /pol/ *Facepalm*
>>
>>7342704
It actually helps some people to be gluten-free
Just because its not true for you doesn't mean its false for the rest of the human race
>>
>>7342704
>Because the media told them so....

That's certainly part of it. But the packaging on food doesn't help things either. When foods are labeled as "______ Free" people tend to assume that whatever "_____" is, is a bad thing. For example, "fat free", "cholesterol free", etc. There's a long history of food being labeled as "free" from things that people tend to think of as bad. So when they see "gluten free" and have no idea what gluten is they automatically assume it's bad. It's the psychology of marketing.
>>
>>7342749
>That's certainly part of it
Show me a single news article that says gluten is unhealthy for regular people.

>when they see "gluten free" and have no idea what gluten is they automatically assume it's bad.
Everyone has a mobile phone on them now so they could look it up while standing in the supermarket isle. There are no excuses for this level of stupidity and ignorance.
>>
>>7342749
The worst one is "guilt free" like somehow the production company can predict that you won't feel any guilt as your eating their product.. Someone should sue just for the heck of it
>>
>>7342760
>I believe everything that's written on the packet!
You should write a letter of complaint to the company responsible for this outrageous behaviour! Please post the draft here first so we can double check for spelling mistakes. You don't want to make a fool of yourself or anything.
>>
>>7342757

Of course they COULD look it up. But the fact is that a lot of people don't.

Think about it: how many people post dumb questions here rather than researching it properly via google et. al.? Most people don't do research. They assume or they ask their equally ignorant friends. Get on youtube and check out some videos of reporters asking people about gluten, You'll hear all kinds of stuff (mainly from young women) like "oh, my roommate from Russia says it makes you fat, so I avoid it now!"
>>
>>7342780
post a youtube link
>>
File: himalayan-salt-health-nutrition.png (594 KB, 655x643) Image search: [Google]
himalayan-salt-health-nutrition.png
594 KB, 655x643
>>7326305

I treat my gluten intolerance with pink Himalayan salt.
>>
>>7334169
>Hurrr Durr, the 0001% of the population that actually have it should have a say in what the rest of the world eats

throw yourself in a river you fuck
>>
>>7342945
>two words in 4 point font on the back of the label prevents 6 billion people from eating
How did your parents not leave you on an iceberg and push you out to sea?
>>
>>7342794

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdJFE1sp4Fw

That's the "gluten makes you fat according to my friend from Russia" one.

There are plenty more.
>>
>>7334175
>buy a new cell phone
>GLUTEN FREE
>>
>>7334247
No, they're complaining about the packaging on the candy bar, fuck-o. And rightfully so.
>>
>>7326347
delet this
>>
>>7342958
maybe because they weren't genetically flawed and I wasnt born with a obscure disease that prevents me from being a normal human being
>>
>>7343211
>not genetically flawed
>utterly crippled by two words on a package
Pick one
>>
>>7327565
From what I understand even with a severe case of celiac disease you shouldn't have symptoms from ingesting trace gluten. This is different from nut allergies for instance.
>>
>>7342962
>"I used the fat blaster and lost over 9000 pounds in one week!!"
>not a paid actor
You obviously don't know how television works. Those people aren't even in a supermarket setting where you'd expect to find people shopping for gluten free products. Just random people in some park somewhere? Pleez.

W O W
E
E
>>
File: 1454637396490.jpg (176 KB, 800x1071) Image search: [Google]
1454637396490.jpg
176 KB, 800x1071
>>7326305
>made in the USA
>with globally sourced ingredients
>>
>>7342831
That stuff tastes amazing. It doesn't have that odd bitter aftertaste that stuff like Morton's salt has.
>>
This thread is stupid. Its a stupid thread. Ignore this stupid thread, because it is stupid.
>>
I like how somethings will say "only 60 calories a serving" then it'll have like 5 servings in the dinky ass thing
>>
>>7345131
This usually happens to make the serving size an easy number to multiply so people can monitor the calories that they are consuming easier.
>>
>>7326589
>people who cant eat gluten
>>
>>7345181
>people who fail at even the simplest shitpost
i suspect you forgot your reaction image.jpg

try again
>>
>>7334355
>no labels on fresh fruit
>ingredients: Banana
>Direction: Peal.
>Warning, product may be hot after heating.
keep refrigerated
>>
>>7345223
Calories, protein, sodium, fats, sugars, carbohydrates, etc, etc. Where's that label on a banana?
>>
>>7345223
>your mum
>may contain traces of my nuts
>>
>>7326347
I'm American and this both horrifies and intrigues me on several nonsexual levels.
>>
>>7326305
>extruded in the USA
>>
>>7342663
Nope I'm here. Wow. This thread really took off!

For the wrong reasons though. I was posting about the part of the label that reads:
"THE GOOD STUFF"
on my fucking candy bar.

>>7345514
Is that a Simpsons thing?
>>
>>7346460
Baka janeye ga?
>>
>>7346460
>backpedaling
>>7326639
>>
I'd just like to add one thing to this thread: straight white males are the cause of all the world's problems, especially gluten hysteria.
>>
File: my little dictator.jpg (213 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
my little dictator.jpg
213 KB, 700x700
>>7334165
>>7334197
Yeah, the whole fad is fucking retarded. It's always the most vapid of women latching on to that idea like avoiding wheat will do jack shit for you without having a rare genetic disease.
>>7334327
The one guy I knew with it was fine. The entire problem is with idiots self-diagnosing shit for some imaginary benefit or just to feel like a special snowflake.
Retards like that are the reason the diet industry makes so much bank exploiting ignorance and laziness.
>>7334441
Give it another 50 years and your basic Murrican education will amount to 'fuck critical thinking and obey authority because we said so'.
I saw a modern homework assignment for elementary kids last year and it blew my mind how much worse it got since Common Cuck was introducted. They're not even trying to hide their agenda of brainwashing the next generation to not think for themselves.
>>
>>7334477
>activated almonds
I didn't need to have one of my last shreds of faith in humanity destroyed today.
http://www.australianalmonds.com.au/enjoy/activated_almonds
>>
>all this gluten sperging
>no mention of the fact that they split one candy bar into two for no good fucking reason
Ruined the king size Snickers when they did that, shit has half the chocolate it used to.
>>
>>7346460
>Is that a Simpsons thing?
No. Extrusion is the process of shaping mashed goop by pushing it through a ring, which is how this type of stuff is made. He's pointing out that nothing but the final processing is of economic benefit to America, even though the label tries to make it sound better than that.
>>
>>7346575
I hope that spelling is intentional.
And you meant だ instead of が 。
>>
>I like to try new things to see how my body reacts so I'm gonna try cutting saturated fats out of my diet
Good for you, anon. Let me know how it goes and might do it too.
>I like to try new things to see how my body reacts so I'm gonna try cutting gluten out of my diet
ZOMG ARE YOU RETARTED DAILY REMINDER THAT GLUTEN ISNT REEEEAL UNLESS YOUR 501 JEANS ARE DEFECTIVE OMG IM HAVING A HERNIA
>>
>>7334297
This thread is a steaming pile.
>>
>>7326305
In the UK they have to cover up the nutritional information on these and put on a sticker with their own. I always assumed this was because American standards allowed them to leave off certain information that's required over here, can anyone confirm this?
>>
>>7349960
Did you hear that on a TV you have to buy a license to watch?
Or at a Sharia law reeducation camp?
>>
File: 094905_laff (1).jpg (21 KB, 265x300) Image search: [Google]
094905_laff (1).jpg
21 KB, 265x300
>>7349978
>He thinks all channels are run by the BBC
>>
>>7349960
Lol. No. You guys just have a standardised way of presenting nutrition facts. In America, we don't care what the nutrition info for 100 grams of food is and we don't highlight in red anything that has a high amount of sugar/fat/etc. It's the same info, we just don't automatically give you the info for 100 g and then tell you what a healthy serving is like 30 g and have the info for that next to it because that's fucking pointless. They give you the info for the serving size like 1/6 or whatever and sometimes the info for the whole thing if it's within the realm of possibility that someone will eat it in one go.
>>
>>7326359
You should understand what gluten is before making assumptions.
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.