[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best things to buy at Costco?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13
File: costco-wholesale_416x416[1].jpg (22 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
costco-wholesale_416x416[1].jpg
22 KB, 416x416
What are the best things to buy at Costco?
>>
Pants/t-shirts.
>>
coffee
mineral water
electronics because of their amazing warranty
sheepskin throws
clothes sometimes
toothbrushes
floss
soap
granola bars
>>
Greasy food at the food court
>>
tegels chicken tendies
>>
'Za.
>>
>>7322947
>hot dog, churro, vanilla/chocolate frozen yogurt

based
>>
>>7322948
The fuck is a tegel?
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 400x395
Connoms and burger
>>
butcher at my Costco always has good cuts.
>>
>>7322990
they mechanically tenderize their meat. boourns
>>
>>7322995
AFAIK that's only in the US locations and I'm in Canada.
>>
>>7322995
Does that not improve it?
>>
>>7322936
PSMO tenderloin
cheese
>>
Rotisserie Chicken
Hummus
>>
File: 411+zcCpn1L._SY300_.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
411+zcCpn1L._SY300_.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>7323014
Rather, any whole muscle meat.
Then you bypass any >>7322995
And, yes, >>7323011 it does make tough cuts tender. I don't see a problem with it. I use pic at home.
>>
>>7323008
nope i'm in canada too
they have to label it now.. they do it

>>7323011
it can contaminate the meat internally so it needs to be cooked like ground beef to be safe
>>
>>7323023
>it can contaminate the meat internally
how? does it pierce it?
>>
>>7323026
yes it's an injection with a bunch of thick needles
>>
>>7323023

>it can contaminate the meat internally

It's Costco man, I'm sure they sterilize the perforators pretty thoroughly or else you'd be hearing about food poisoning cases across the country.
>>
>>7323040

Costco employee here, used to work both in the Deli and in the Meat department. We sterilize literally the entire room and all it's equipment every single night, we have Standard Sanitary Procedure Operation checklists (high standard to the company, not just industry standard) that the person(s) cleaning up after close have to run down and perform and are inspected every single night by a manager and approved for you to be able to go home. You get punished for leaving without doing this.

Every surface of a Costco's meat department is pressure washed with a soap substance and then rinsed every night. This shit is fucking real, it's not easy. We take it very seriously.
>>
>try to find out good things to buy at costco
>2 things about what to buy
>20 posts about contamination

guess ill have to delete this thread and try again
>>
>>7323070
Buy as much as you can at Costco. The more you spend, the more you get back at the end of the year (it can pretty much pay for the membership)
>>
>>7323067
mechanically tenderized meat must be cooked to 145

it doesn't matter how clean your room and equipment is, unless you clean the tenderizer after EVERY SINGLE USE the chance of contamination is there, and it must be cooked to 145 (medium) to be safe to eat
>>
>>7323081
>pic related

apparently costco recommends 160 f .. gross
>>
>>7323091
That's just to avoid getting sued. If you cook it and get sick they can say that they warned you to cook to 160F
>>
>>7323099
no shit.
i still won't eat it.
tenderized beef is rekd beef. it turns it into overpriced ground beef.
>>
>not buying the bulk primals of meat and cut your own steaks

saves you like 20% off the pre cut meats
>>
>>7322950

Die
>>
>>7323081
you are fucking retarded

"all eggs must be cooked hard"

fuck off, health department. you've long since worn out your usefulness.
>>
>>7322936

One of my favorite breakfasts is a toasted Everything bagel with a shmear of cream cheese and half a fucking package of Kirkland Signature Lox.
>>
Aight, here we go.

Perishables:
Potatos
RICE
DRY BEANS
Olive oil
Rotisserie Chickens
Canned tomato sauce(if you use canned)
Pet food(Made to the same standards as Blue Buffalo in former Blue Buffalo factory)
Whole coffe beans(Grind yourself or use the grinder there)
EGGS

Everything else:
Toilet paper
Wet ass wipes
Water cases
Clothing
Furniture
Mattresses(If it sucks or breaks within 10 years, you should be able to take it back)
GAS
>>
>>7322936

Their Very Berry Smoothie,

it's the best thing they sell there,

it's where they sell their food an stuff, like at the cafe part of the Costco.
>>
>>7323578
Churros
Toilet paper (although, I feel Costco's toilet paper isn't really soft)
>>
File: ling ling potstickers.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
ling ling potstickers.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7322936
this is all you need tbqh family
>>
I thought about getting a Costco membership. I decided not to when I saw they carry the same brand of frozen meats (Kirkland) as ALDI. Why the fuck would I want to PAY for a membership to buy food at a higher price than I could already just get at ALDI?
>>
>>7324775

Are you lying out of your ass? Kirkland is the Costco generic brand. It's not found in other stores. That's like saying you found ALDI brand products at Walmart.
>>
Are their sandwiches in the Food Court
>>
>>7324764
looks good but any particular reason I should by my potstickers at costco instead of the asian market?
>>
>>7324808
I usually keep at least a couple bags from the asian market around because i can get all veggie or tasty shrimp and pork ones, but what i like about the Costco Ling Ling ones is that the wrapping is thicker and more resiliant, so they NEVER bust open when you cook them, even if you over boil them. I usually cook them on the stove in a pan with a little bit of water and sesame oil, then turn it up to high at the end and flip them for the crisp. They come in a FOUR AND A HALF POUND bag for 10(ish) bucks also. I don't know, there are none from the asian market that taste quite as good as these to me either. If you are a fan of chinese american food you'll never want any other dumpling again.
>>
>>7324764
Get the pork ones if yours carry them. Far superior.

Unless you're one them anti porkers.
>>
File: co-263_1z.jpg (392 KB, 1375x1600) Image search: [Google]
co-263_1z.jpg
392 KB, 1375x1600
Don't know if they still do them but the chocolate covered blueberries and this are GOAT snacks
>>
Liquor

Dog Food

Pizza (take and bake)

Hot Dog to go.
>>
>>7325214
>hot dog
>not polish
why
>>
>>7323104
I bet you're one of those guys who washes his wands for the full 45 seconds too.
>>
File: 20150920_095231.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150920_095231.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
my local (brooklyn) costco used to have really amazing ground bison, it made great burgers. I haven't seen any in almost a year. Thier cheese section is also significantly larger and better than a few other costcos ive been to.
they also have that buffalo mozzarella swimming in water in individual plastic bags. I love that stuff.
they have decent prosciutto as well, but the local delis are better for that.
>>
>>7325218
Cause my Nephew wanted a Hot Dog. I switch between both, whatever I'm in the mood for. Either way, you can't lose.

That's what I got at Costco today.
>>
>>7323040
the issue isn't about the jaccard being dirty it's the existing bacteria on the surface of the meat, if its left solid piece of meat you can sear it and it will be immaculate but you go poking holes you're inoculating the cut of meat.
>>
>>7324940
unfortunately they don't otherwise it would most definitely be a no brainer!
>>
File: pot-pie-in-full-effect.jpg (59 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
pot-pie-in-full-effect.jpg
59 KB, 604x453
>>7322936
Their pot pies are fucking 10/10 compared to the frozen Marie Calender's shit.
>>
>>7323578
It really is, those things are delicious
>>
File: UiVHPyx.gif (949 KB, 480x658) Image search: [Google]
UiVHPyx.gif
949 KB, 480x658
Stew meat
Meats in general
Bananas
Blankets (bought 3 recently. 2 throws and 1 big bed blanket)
Dog food
Furniture
Books
Gifts
Appliances
Headphones
TVs
Printers
Cheeses
Cakes
Cookies
Spices and ingredients (50lb bag of rice yes)
Crockpot
Clothes
Socks
Boxers
Jumpstart/Air pump

Costco has a limited variety sure, but for the most part it's all good shit
They have a GOD TIER refund policy. I don't even need my receipt to return some thing I bought 8 months ago. That alone helps out if you want to refund a bad/broken purchase or just own something temporarily.

I just wish their attached liquor store had more variety. Get some Kraken, Costco.
>>
>>7323045
Let me just say I got QUITE the laugh out of this.
>>
muffins
take-n-bake pizza
yogurt
peanut butter
RIP in pieces the calzones
>>
File: it's.png (298 KB, 1039x562) Image search: [Google]
it's.png
298 KB, 1039x562
Do you get anything for reporting typos to them?

>>7323076
It's $55 extra a year, so unless you spend $2200 a year there with the 2% cashback, it won't make up for the increased membership fee.
>>
>>7325245
>not washing your wand for at least 60 seconds
>being a shitty wizard

Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>7328052
I'm more than willing to $55 a year just to avoid the spics & niggers that shop at Walmart. I literally get dragged to Walmart once a year by the wife & 10 out of 10 times some spic cunt is fighting with a nigger at the check out.
>>
>>7323118
it's a brand of chicken fingers at costco. the kirkland ones are better tho.

also
>krusteez pancake mix
>they usually have good deals on tupperware containers
>>
>>7325246
Sadly the only place I've found bison consistently has been Whole Paycheck and Trader Joes. Try other health food markets.
>>
Remember guys, if you cook your bison too much, it'll get tough. I recommend rare bison burgers.
>>
>>7328052
You realize that's less than $200 per month, right?
>>
>>7328152
Wow, you need to move to a better area. And get divorced.
>>
>>7328554
As a single man, I do spend less than that per month.
>>
Vodka
>>
>>7325203
When my 2 friends and I were in Europe, we were 18-19 years old and one of them had brought a full bag of this on the trip. We were so bad at fending for ourselves at this point that one night it was like 10pm and we decided not to leave the hotel room even though we were all starving. We each pretty much ate a complete meal from that trail mix that night.
>>
File: 51cnyrNGmoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (21 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
51cnyrNGmoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
21 KB, 280x280
>>7322936
as far as there food court I am partial to berry smoothies and chicken bakes.

Can't go wrong with the huge combo pizza slice or the 1.50 polish and a soda deal
>>
>>7328563
that's like 6 dollars a day. do you just eat cereal and ramen?
>>
>paper towels
>napkins
>toilet paper
>ziploc bags
>dish washing detergent and soap
>laundry detergent
>lotion
>toothpaste
>razor heads
>shampoo
>bar soap
>peanut butter
>printer paper
>trash bags
>occasionally meat/produce (not always priced better than the local grocery store imo)
>various things like a backpack, luggage, a paper shredder

Essentially I buy most of my nonperishable goods there.
>>
>>7328052
>>7328554
>>7328563
Normal membership is $55, the 2% cashback is for an executive membership which costs $110 (hence the EXTRA $55)

$55/.02 = $2,750
$2,750/12 = $229.17 per month

There are actually some other benefits of the executive membership as well, idk what they are. I scaled back to the normal membership after the first year because I didn't spend enough.
>>
>>7328692
Not that guy but I usually spend about $50/week on food. I usually cook three decent meals per week and eat leftovers on the rest of the days.

Living in the midwest has its benefits.
>>
Bongland Costco member

I can't have a trip there without buying both a pack of ice cream sandwiches and chocolate chip shortbread squares.
>>
File: 1439931909012.jpg (35 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1439931909012.jpg
35 KB, 480x720
>Rotisserie Chickens
>Yes they have a chicken schedule
>meats
>flour, sugar, yeast
>rice and beans (srsly just got 40 lbs of rice for .45/lb)
>milk
>cheeses
>processed meats like chicken tendies and sausages
>veggies, both fridged and dry store like potatoes and onions
>quantity booze for cheap
>cooking oils
>animals feeds
>engine oils
>batteries
>shit tickets and paper towels
>gasoline
>polish dogs from foodcourt
I usually only get essentials like this b/c i am oldskool costco and they have phased out so many products that i love it's not even funny

I really been thinking about doing that executive thing, i think with my gas purchases it would be worth it, but also eating $55 a year is worth bulk commodities for cheap to me.
>>
>>7323578
It's nonfat, which really impairs it. I never willingly have nonfat milk products.
>>
>>7322936
Gasoline and batteries.
>>
File: 627-thickbox_default.jpg (60 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
627-thickbox_default.jpg
60 KB, 800x800
>>7322936
a toolbox that looks like it could also be used as a kitchen island
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.