[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wisconsin leads the world in barrel aged beer. http://www.p
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 16
File: Barrels.jpg (704 KB, 2352x1764) Image search: [Google]
Barrels.jpg
704 KB, 2352x1764
Wisconsin leads the world in barrel aged beer.

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/entertainment/nightlife/beer/2016/01/27/central-waters-barrels-gain-cult-status/79300602/
>>
>"A lot of what you see in here is just us truly messing around," Mollica said.
>Last year there was Headless Heron (pumpkin spice ale), Rye Barrel Chocolate Porter and Cassian Sunset (imperial stout with coffee, vanilla and cinnamon).

Good to see they're at least keeping up the fine American tradition of making ridiculous meme beers.
>>
>>7320461
"1414" won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival.

"16" won gold at the 2014 World Beer Cup

>at least
>ridiculous meme beers

Is that your best shot?
>>
>>7320469
>american beer wins american beer awards
>>
>>7320551
Wisconsin is like America's special ed class. They love their participation medals. They do it for their '''cheese''' too
>>
>>7320551
>Miller Lite
>not 4 time WORLD beer cup winner
>>
>>7320551
they don't call it pabst blue ribbon for nothing
>>
File: world series basketball mvp.jpg (46 KB, 280x400) Image search: [Google]
world series basketball mvp.jpg
46 KB, 280x400
>>7320568
>if i put world in the title that makes it a global competition
>>
File: S2e16_You_lose.png (23 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
S2e16_You_lose.png
23 KB, 1920x1080
>>7320576
>Not America
>competing with America
why bother?
>>
>>7320452
Central waters is great. Them and Toppling Goliad are my favorite wisconsin breweries
>>
>>7320616
Goliath
>>
>>7320452
So?
>>
>>7320461
Calling something a meme doesn't detract from the fact you have crippling Aspergers
>>
>>7320461
first post fun police, the /ck/ autist brigade never disappoints

this really doesn't need a new thread though
>>
>>7320589
Because sometimes you don't want to compete, you just want to relax and shoot some oak-aged fish in a bourbon barrel.
>>
File: sadpepe2.jpg (27 KB, 608x606) Image search: [Google]
sadpepe2.jpg
27 KB, 608x606
>>7320623
>>7320624
>tfw someone disrespects the american craft brewing industry
>>
Lol Yuros talking shit about American craft.

I bet most of you think Heineken/Guinness/Stella are great beer.
>>
>>7320461
Headless Heron is by far the best pumpkin beer I have ever tried
>>
Central Waters is surely better than any brewery in Europe, probably only like the 3rd best one in Wisconsin though
>>
>>7320662
>pumpkin beer
I seriously want all hipsters to die
Please, baby Jesus answer my prayers
>>
>>7320671
The fuck does this possibly have to do with hipsters?
I'm not typically into pumpkin beer, a lot of it is ok, very little of it is great, but Heron is really good, would not hesitate to suggest it even to people who do not typically consume pumpkin beer
>>
>>7320648
I would take a Guinness over the latest all-American Citrus Captain Crunch Mocha Porter.
>>
>>7320688
Self denying hipsters are the worst
Your day is coming.
>>
>>7320688
>The fuck does this possibly have to do with hipsters?
People dislike hipsters
They are also poorly defined
This allows me to project all of my angst and pet hates upon them
>>
>>7320694
Do you honestly think most craft beer is novelty stuff? Almost ever craft brewer in america makes a porter or stout that is better than Guinness, many make several

Have you ever even been to America?
>>
File: troegs-nugget-nectar.jpg (199 KB, 960x651) Image search: [Google]
troegs-nugget-nectar.jpg
199 KB, 960x651
>>7320694
American craft beer does a lot of dumb shit, but also a lot of excellent shit.

Pic related is in season, I just got a case, and I am a very happy man.
>>
That's like saying Tadcaster is the World leader in producing beer fermented in Yorkshire stone squares - it's a reasonably niche means of making beer so y'know, very good but who's that fussed
>>
>>7320705

More like a very hoppy man lmao

>>7320730

I would say at least 3/4s of breweries have a barrel aged stout. At least all the ones I can think of.
>>
Yuro people needed a better place to live. Wisconsin is that place.
The badger state was name for all the Cornish who went down is holes
in the ground and fed thier kids shandy in 1820.
>>
>>7320704
Yes I have, and all jokes and meming aside America does make some very nice beers. Founders breakfast stout is probably the single nicest stout I've had, but it's not in the category of "pleasantly inoffensive session beer" that Guinness is.

On the other hand:
https://funkybuddhabrewery.com/our-beers
If you can't laugh at both the sheer size of this brewery's beer "roster" and some of the ridiculous beer-scented Starbucks beverages on it then there's something wrong with you.
>>
>>7320694

BTFO
>>
>>7320694
but why
>>
File: 1426472401432.jpg (3 MB, 5000x3497) Image search: [Google]
1426472401432.jpg
3 MB, 5000x3497
>>7320783
gotta find a way to get the chicks to drink it instead of reaching for a Zima
>>
>>7320783
I can't think of any scenario where I would rather buy a Guinness than a Breakfast Stout
"sessionable" is just a buzzterm used to market beer that is cheaper to make
Still, though if FBS is to high in ABV for you Founders Porter is a bit lower and still way better tasting than Guinness
Also, there are over 4,000 breweries in america, of course you will be able to find weird shit, but if you go to a random super market, this stuff only makes a small fraction of what is available
>>
>>7320822
Jesus fucking christ, get your shit together southerners
>>
>>7320829
Alabama only recently made homebrewing legal, give them some time
>>
>>7320822
How come North Carolina is so much better at beer than the entire rest of the south?
>>
>>7320845
North Carolina is full of urban liberals, and those are the people pushing the craft beer movement
>>
>>7320824
>"sessionable" is just a buzzterm used to market beer that is cheaper to make
The term and concept of a session ale predates the American craft beer industry by quite some time. It's beer that you can drink solidly all day without either getting hammered or overly fatigued/bored of it. It has fuck all to do with lower-quality ingredients.
>>
File: bud light 8 oz.jpg (115 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
bud light 8 oz.jpg
115 KB, 600x600
>>7320829
We already have the perfect beer.

And it has to be the 8 oz cans because the other ones just don't taste as good.
>>
>>7320866
>It has fuck all to do with lower-quality ingredients.
Not lower quality, just lower amounts. Session beer is just a diluted beer
>>
>>7320949
No its not
>>
>>7320955
It literally is, the way they make it lower in ABV is by increase he amount of water relative to the malt (usually also the hops but not necessarily) relative to the water. The malt content (and other fermentable sugars such as corn and rice in most macro-beers) is directly proportional to the final ABV, so session beers are inherently cheaper to produce

Also, it is my understanding that most macro breweries brew at higher gravity and dilute post-fermentation to save money on the massive amount of space they require while they are sitting in fermentation. So they quite literally dilute the beer, making is 'sessionable'
>>
>>7320971
have you ever had a session IPA? sure there is less malt, but almost always they make up for it with more hops, which are vastly more expensive. eat a bowl of dicks

also, macro breweries don't do that. they use adjuncts like corn/rice to make a thinner body, and cut costs there because those are cheaper than barley. and what sort of macro advertises their lite beers as sessionable?

quit shitposting when you know nothing about nothing
>>
>>7321005
you're not really addressing what he said, which is the water relative to the malt is higher. he said fuck all about hops. Also

>IPA
>drinking meme beer
>>
File: Sweetwater-Hop-Hash-960x690[1].jpg (238 KB, 960x690) Image search: [Google]
Sweetwater-Hop-Hash-960x690[1].jpg
238 KB, 960x690
>>7320845
Tell me about it. I live it atlanta and the only thing "local" is sweetwater and terrapin meme beers.
>dude weed lmao
At least the liquor stores are big enough that you can pretty much get anything you want from around the country (or the world for that matter), but usually at a sizable premium
>>
>>7321005
>have you ever had a session IPA? sure there is less malt, but almost always they make up for it with more hops
Yeah, occasionally when that was what is around, but never found one as good as an actual IPA. Also they definitely do not have more hops than an IPA, just more hops than a typical macro-lager. Its just a way to market what was known as an APA just a few years ago
>also, macro breweries don't do that. they use adjuncts like corn/rice to make a thinner body
They also do this, but this is entirety unrelated to their use of high gravity brewing
>and what sort of macro advertises their lite beers as sessionable
Pretty much all of them at some point have, not necessarily in the exact same context as some craft brewers do now but they definitely do. Also, regardless of how they market them, they are session beers, watered down beers designed to be easy to sell and cost little to make
>>
>>7320971
>Also, it is my understanding that most macro breweries brew at higher gravity and dilute post-fermentation to save money on the massive amount of space they require while they are sitting in fermentation.
Except that beer takes exponentially longer to ferment out the higher the alcohol so what you gain in tank space you lose twice over from the fact that it's occupying that tank space for four times as long. They do make double-strength wort and dilute that down for fermentation though.
>>
>>7321023
DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>7320645
>insults
>shitposts

Get your fucking life together, man. What, are you some fucking poor European turd who's mad because the nicest 'imports' you see are corona and bud light?

Next you're going to say good wine can only come out of Italy? Fuck off. If you can't even trust that shithole with their own money how can you let them be in charge of anything else?
>>
Fun fact: Wisconsin has over twice as many bars as grocery stores.
>>
>>7321115
>mad because the nicest 'imports' you see are corona and bud light
If you lived in a country with a proper brewing heritage and culture you wouldn't have to be so fixated on the quality of your imports, anon.
>>
>>7321151
Please keep in mind that america was settled by europeans. It had the best brewing culture in the world before politicians tried to change it in the name of progress. Overregulation did a fucking lot of damage but America obviously is back in the lead again, by a huge fucking margin
>>
>>7321115
I don't need imports.
Our domestic ale is great.
>>
>>7321184
America was first settled by Europeans who were kicked out of Europe for being too straight-edge and anti-fun.
Up until the start of the 20th century you were still using exclusively wild yeasts to ferment your beers.
The suggestion that you have historically had a meaningful brewing culture and it was only those filthy Jews on capitol hill that deprived you of it is risible.
>>
>>7321203
>America was first settled by Europeans who were kicked out of Europe for being too straight-edge and anti-fun.
First settled sure, but it was primarily settled by immigrants from Ireland and Germany/Central Europe in the late 1800s
Pre-prohibition, America was widely considered to be the producer of the best beer. You seem to be thinking of the 1600s
>>
>>7321207
Yeah let's just keep moving the goalposts to fit our agenda

How about we just drink beer instead of using dumb phrases like "craft ale" to draw attention to the fact that we take shitbeer for granted
>>
>>7321134
There's not much else to do in the winter bro. I'll go hiking once in awhile, but most of my winter is spent trying new beers or chugging moon man
>>
>>7321220
>draw attention to the fact that we take shitbeer for granted
Literally ever country does this, don't get mad that America moved past this stage before you
I don't understand why people get mad at the phrase 'craft beer', its clearly not the same product category as the macro beer that dominates Europe and the American south. Don't fool yourself into thinking that just because your macro beer is slightly less shitty than Bud Light, makes it on par with craft beer
>>
>>7321225
What is there to do in any state or country that isn't made better with beer?
>>
File: Bar Grocery.png (228 KB, 954x641) Image search: [Google]
Bar Grocery.png
228 KB, 954x641
>>7321134
>>
>>7321229
motorcycling
>>
>>7321257
You dont ride buzzed?

D U L L
U
L
L
>>
>>7321226
I'm American
I don't think it's a sign of a healthy gastronomic climate when everyone has to say "artisan bread" to mean not wonder bread, or "specialty cheese" to mean it's not from a spray can
>>
>>7321278
At least americans have gotten to the point that they recognize what is shit. Rather than sitting around drinking Stella and Heineken thinking you are drinking legitimately good beer and getting mad at the concept that better things are commonplace in America
>>
>>7321278
>>7321283
now this is fedora tipping
>>
>>7321283
>drinking Stella and Heineken thinking you are drinking legitimately good beer
Nobody thinks that these are anything other than cheap, ubiquitous and drinkable in quantity. You must be thinking of America in the days before your "craft" brewing industry became popular and they were marketed as exotic foreign imports.
>>
>>7321306
You guys say all the time on threads here that you don't need 'craft beer' because your regular beer is just as good, when in fact top tier beer is pretty damn rare in almost all of europe
>>
>>7321312
The everyday local beers I had in Germany were pretty top tier though. Just because everything needs to be 9000 IBU doesn't mean traditional lagers are bad. You just have negative associations with the word lager because you're desperate to show you're no longer drinking bud light
>>
File: 1267664542428.jpg (61 KB, 498x360) Image search: [Google]
1267664542428.jpg
61 KB, 498x360
>>7320461

>never_ending_european_obsession.txt
>>
>>7320845
I think it's because they let Sierra Nevada open a brewery in the state provided they allowed local breweries to access their logistics (they're big on rail shipping) and material sources.
>>
>>7321312
>top tier beer is pretty damn rare in almost all of europe
If you define "top-tier" as a coconut coffee white chocolate porter abomination, perhaps.
>>
>>7321473
>innovation is bad
European culture is stagnant, if you actually believe traditional simple recipes can be good your either trolling or insane
>>
>>7321134

Does anyone else remember the two psychopaths arguing over inane details involving Wisconsin bars a few months ago? It lasted for days
>>
>>7321023

What the hell are you talking about?

>Orpheus
>Monday Night
>Red Brick
>Creature Comforts
>Wild Heaven
>Three Taverns

All are 10x better than Sweetwater or Terrapin. I live in Marietta and can find any of those breweries at any liquor store. Kroger is starting to carry them even.
>>
File: 1435277627707.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1435277627707.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>7321489
>the old ways are boring and passé, adding a bottle of starbucks flavor syrup to our beer will definitely improve it
>>
>>7321505
Lol yeah dude. Reinhietsgebot rules! Americans using stuff like rye, oats, coffee, wheat and wild yeast to make better beers wirt more interesting flavor profiles is just like Starbucks using flavor syrups in drinks or something. Great point
>>
>>7321316
>You just have negative associations with the word lager because you're desperate to show you're no longer drinking bud light
Light lagers are an in inherently low form of beer, while not bad by any means, they have minimal malt flavor and minimal hop flavor, they are pretty much just a showcase for the effects of lager yeast and the lagering process, which is interesting but hardly deserving of being the style of almost all the fucking beer you can find in mainland Europe outside the influence of Belgium.
No one needs hundreds of lighter lagers that taste almost exactly the same as each other. Luckily for people who like beer, America and increasingly Britain and northern europe are not stuck with your backwards attitude
>>
>>7321873
As obnoxious as I find that "everything must have BIG FLAVOR or else you're a PUSSY" mentality that pervades the craft beer world, light lagers are not the answer. I've yet to taste a pilsner that didn't taste like every other fucking pilsner I've ever tasted, except for the ones that taste worse.
>>
>>7321942
Casked Urquell is pretty good if you can ever find it outside of the Czech Republic. Unfortunately 40 years of Communist uniformity (and to some extent the post-1989 "everything from the West is better, let us sweep aside the old ways" took their toll on a lot of what you might consider Pilsner's traditional heartland.
>>
>>7321242
It is also the state with the highest rate of underage drinking. Because, again, there's fucking nothing to do here.
>>
File: 9SioVK2.jpg (283 KB, 998x1010) Image search: [Google]
9SioVK2.jpg
283 KB, 998x1010
>>7321820
>rye, oats, coffee, wheat and wild yeast
apart coffee all of those things have been used in beer for a lot longer than America has existed m8
>>
>>7322048
lol at the idea that underaged drinking is bad
The rest of the world just calls that drinking
It really has nothing to do with what there is to do there, its a cultural thing, where doing things while drinking is still considered fun, and there is no stigma against drinking often found in less northern areas. Regardless of how much they have to do, people in Wisconsin do it while drinking
>>
>>7321312
If you have to bring up tradition you've already lost. If you have to contrast your stuff with gimmicky crap and pretend you can only ever have one or the other, you've REALLY lost. Blind adherence to tradition is just an excuse for stagnation. I almost never see Brits bring up muh tradishunz when talking about their beer because British beer styles are awesome and can stand up on their own merits. Likewise, British breweries seem way more open to experimentation because they don't have shit to prove to anyone.

>>7322063
I think he was being sarcastic. But then again, this is /ck/. There really are people here who are that stupid.
>>
>>7322063
Sure they have technically been used, but their use is widely shunned in european markets.
You can go to most super markets in america and have your choice of many great oatmeal stouts, wheat beers, rye pale ales, and sour beers, along with plenty with just barley and even lagers (which apparently will be a surprise to you)
>>
The christians and a guy from minnesota screwed up the really good brewing that occurred in America before the prohibition. That and when in 1964 they took out the copper kettles from the Leinenkugel brewery.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksJqoiYXjMs

Wisconsin always wins.
>>
File: sceak.png (213 KB, 495x372) Image search: [Google]
sceak.png
213 KB, 495x372
>>7321942
> I've yet to taste a pilsner that didn't taste like every other fucking pilsner I've ever tasted, except for the ones that taste worse.
That's because pilsner, like milk and bread, doesn't travel well and is best consumed fresh and local. Americans don't know anything about that because our idea of "fresh and local" is pre-mixed flavourless textureless pseudo-bread from the Wal*Mart and we remove the cream from the milk and pay more for this water-milk because Big Cream tricked us into believing it's healthier to drink water-milk after consuming 2 or more litres per person per day of coca-cola.

When all you have around you is the beer equivalent of machismo hot sauce, where vulgar strains of ultra high alpha new-world hops are used to drown out any faults in the beer, and "age-worthy" is an excuse for shoddy distribution infrastructure based largely on long-distance trucks driven by neanderthals powered by methamphetamine, people develop these quixotic ideas about what is good and bad. It is strongly reminiscent of the culture in the south pacific islands where, after WW2, things from cans had a high status value among the natives, resulting in the destruction of old gastronomic traditions where fresh vegetables and fish were eaten instead of canned salted trashmeat and canned mushy vegetables.

But the canned trashmeat is "innovation" so we must reject freshness, quality, and local things. If you disagree with me it means you want to destroy America.
>>
>>7324255
dud, there are fresh local pilsners all over in america
and pilsner travels just fine, it has very little hops so the taste does not degrade quickly
the vast majority of american craft breweries only distribute locally, often just on site
I don't even understand how someone could be wrong so many times in one post
>>
>>7324259
>high hopped beer travels well, except when it runs counter to my argument in which case it doesn't
On the bright side, the masses are abandoning the IPA thing like rats from a burning ship.
>>
>>7324274
>>high hopped beer travels well,
how did you possibly think I implied that?
You should drink IPAs within a few months of bottling, they don't become bad after that but a little less good
>>
>>7324274
>the masses are abandoning the IPA thing like rats from a burning ship
What are you basing this statement on?
Pretty sure more IPA was sold in 2015 in both america and europe than in any previous year
>>
>>7324277
>you should drink IPA within a few months of bottling, but I had a skunked communist macro pils brewed shortly before glasnost and this proves that the only way I can tell beers apart is to mix some chopped up tasty-kake brand honey buns in there and call it innovation
>>
>>7324287
I have several breweries within walking distance of me that make pilsners, and I have been to central europe
Its just a lower tier style. Taste fine but almost all of them taste very similar to each other made for the uneducated masses
one of the great benefits of low-flavor watery beer like pilsner is that they last a long time unless you are fucking retarded and use clear or green bottles instead of brown or cans
>>
>>7321115
>say good wine can only come out of Italy
No, there's france and spain too, Swiss and Luxembourg if you like white
>>
>>7324308
>all of them taste very similar to each other
Flyover people legitimately believe that traditional foods made from fewer, higher quality ingredients is automatically worse because flavor is impossible this way. After several generations of only having access to flavorless frankenfoods, the only way they believe flavor is possible is to add hot sauce, ranch dressing, and real texas-style nacho queso mix (now made with real dairy byproducts). Merely expressing the thought that a freshly picked vegetable could be desirable and delicious on its own would be interpreted as a joke at the expense of big-city liberals. All opinions on food and drink are based on what comes off the Sysco truck, and the patriotism of anyone who deviates from this framework is doubtful, at best.

And of course, the same logic applies to beer, as we see here. Bacon doughnut stout vs Sriracha chicken wing stout? Yeah you can taste the difference. Munich vs Vienna malt? Hipster hallucination, nice things are a scam.

It's a shame your mouth never developed taste buds, but lamarckian evolution is a cruel, cruel thing.
>>
>>7324328
>higher quality ingredients
please explain how pilsners use higher quality ingredients. They are literally designed to be cheap swill for the masses
>frankenfoods
Frankenstein's monster was inherently good
>Bacon doughnut stout
Please keep in mind that Rogue is a coastie brewer. flyover makes most of the world's best beer
Do you actually believe anything you say, or are you just memeing?
>>
>>7324328
Do you actually believe all the bullshit you spout, or is it all trolling? I live in a small, albeit affluent, "flyover" city and I would be willing to bet I have just as much access to high quality food as you, and that it costs far less. You are just as bad as the flyovers you imagine exist.
>>
>>7324348
>pilsners are designed to be cheap swill for the masses
The fuck is this bullshit.
The ingredients are malted barley, hops, yeast and water. Pilsner malt is kilned at a lower temperature than most malts and more heavily aerated to ensure it dries quickly, but it's fundamentally no different from the average ale malt.
Bud is designed to be mass-produced shite made down to a cost rather than up to a standard, but that doesn't mean all pilsners are.
>>
>>7324781
But unless it's 19% ABV and 42,000 IBU, it reminds us of bud light... Why do eurolard ISIS want us to drink bud light?
>>
>>7324348
what fucking shit american pilsner have you had?
>>
>>7320616
Toppling Goliath is Iowa, not Wisconsin.
>>
>>7320822
Map is either really outdated or not well done. Missing at least 5 breweries in FL.
>>
>>7325444
there are like 5 breweries opening a day in america, its definitely outdated
>>
>>7325165
America cannot into subtle beers
>>
>>7326266
america can make boring lighter lagers just as well as anyone else can
>>
Wisconsin and Minnesota seem cool, any good vacation spots? My fiance and I are looking for somewhere to go on our honeymoon.
>>
>>7326686
if you like hanging out outdoors, look to rent a cabin on a lake in the northwoods. There are literally thousands of lakes up there, its a pretty perfect place for a relaxing summer vacation
>>
File: giggling.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
giggling.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>7326277
>he thinks pilsners are just boring lighter lagers
>>
>>7326266
Has the American pisswater meme been buried that hard already? Man the 2010's are an exciting time.
>>
>>7327581
So are pilsners pisswater or not? Make your mind.
>>
>>7320452
Yeah.
I hear all the gay guys are doing this.
>>
>>7327581
>American mentality:
A little is good, more is better and too much must be just about right.

Works with rice and hops
>>
>>7327576
almost all of them are
>>
>>7326266
>America cannot into subtle beers
What about Bud Light? Thats pretty subtle.
Americans mastered subtlety in the 80s during the light beer boom.
This whole subtle is good meme you are trying to pass is ridiculous, subtlety in beer very strongly correlates with bad beer. Lighter lagers were designed with poor people who could not afford good things to drink in large quantities after a day in the factory or on the farm. Luckily the western world can afford better things now. Your whole mentality of how beer styles must never change, and we must always drink the same mediocre forms of beer people did a few generations ago is harmful and is part of why central europe is so fucking far behind America, Belgium and Northern Europe now
>>
>>7327881
>Lighter lagers were designed with poor people who could not afford good things

here is your (you)
>>
>>7327881
>implying anyone wants to get drunk on 18% ABV at lunch
Are you that confused flyover guy who thinks that anyone who doesn't roll out of bed still drunk and start slamming Bacardi 151 first thing in the morning is a christfag Islamic fundamentalist feminist progressive?
>>
>>7327884
Says the guy who wants to embrace the subtlety of light lagers because.. um because subtlety is good just because I guess

Seriously though, why do you consider a subtle lighter lager to be better than a well crafted APA, oatmeal stout, barleywine, or lambic? You pretty much just seem to be saying you don't like hops, and therefore only light beer is good
>>
>>7327898
If you can't handle a typical 5.5-8% ABV at lunch, and need to go down to a light beer, you probably have some sort of liver problem or something. A single regular tier craft beer would not get any healthy adult drunk
>>
>>7327898
What does any of that even mean?
>>
>>7327901
>HAMBURGER HAMBURGER HAMBURGER
>what? You don't want another hamburger? It's not the 80s we have five guys now, it's more advanced than McDonalds, what are you poor?
I understand some people do not place a high value on variety, but it's not because they're more "advanced"
>>
>>7327927
Stop equivocating. Why do you think lighter lagers are the supreme type of beer? and any superior forms of beer with noticeable hop character, Belgian yeast or roasted malt is too much flavor?
>>
>>7327927
So in this analogy, pilsners and other light lagers are McDonalds and McDonalds and that is considered a good thing?
>>
>>7327940
>Why do you think lighter lagers are the supreme type of beer?
I don't subscribe to your way of thinking, so why would I have said anything like that?

Again, you are confused because you think a beer's value is measured in exactly how long it takes to get drunk off it. A frat boy's mentality.
>>
>>7327881
>central europe is so fucking far behind Northern Europe now
what
>>
>>7327947
So how do you think? Is your goal to make as many posts as possible without actually saying anything substantive?

When did I even imply anything about getting drunk? Low ABV lagers are typically mediocre because they are designed to be cheap and low in calories at the expense of flavor. ABV is a side effect of the malt content, but it is the malt content that is required to generate good beer. A low ABV is a sign of a brewer cutting corners to make their beer cheaper to produce, which is something that anyone who desires quality should avoid
>>
File: olde_e.jpg (58 KB, 759x410) Image search: [Google]
olde_e.jpg
58 KB, 759x410
>>7327961
>A low ABV is a sign of a brewer cutting corners to make their beer cheaper to produce, which is something that anyone who desires quality should avoid
Even when I'm trolling I struggle to pack this much bait into a single sentence.

10/10 outstanding job
>>
>>7327961
>ABV is a side effect of the malt content
Not really. It's a side-effect of the fermentable sugars. Traditionally that was done with just malted grains but any modern macro lager (and some of what you'd consider 'traditional' ale styles) use other sugars for reasons of taste and/or cost.
You can make a high-abv "beer" by chucking a shitload of table sugar in with your wort, but it's not going to add anything to the flavour or body of your beer.
>>
>>7327967
Please note that a statement being true never implies that the inverse of the statement is also true. Thats pretty basic stuff
>>
>>7327978
>Please note that a statement being true never implies that the inverse of the statement is also true. Thats pretty basic stuff
Remember when your argument went like this:
>I like high ABV high IBU beers and think they're the bestest most advanced beers because it's not 1980 anymore and we've moved past bud light
>anyone who disagrees with me believes in exactly the inverse of my belief
>Therefore anyone who doesn't think Mouth Devastator Imperial Double Doughnut IPA Imperial Stout (27% ABV) is literally, by definition, the best beer in history, logically must believe that the best beer ever is a special 3.2% ABV beer sold only in Utah
>>
>>7327961
>>7327961
Fuck off swag lord
Adding rice, sweet corn, or sugar to bring the alcohol up is the sign of a shit beer.

The only time I drink beer these days is when I'm drinking with friends to get drunk.
I don't want a fucking stupid hopped to hell and back IPA, or some high alcohol 6.0+% beer.

I want something light, around 3.5% so I can drink them all day and not have my taste buds raped, or fall asleep by 9pm.
>>
>>7327977
I was just simplifying, obviously there can be other sources of fermentable sugars. I was using malt as shorthand for all of them
Note I said low ABV beers are a sign of cutting corners to create a cheaper beer (rice/corn aren't much cheaper than malt). I definitely did not say that the opposite (high ABV necessarily equals good) is also true, though it often happens to be
>>
>>7327987
None of that ever happened.
>>
>>7327993
jesus christ europe
>>
>>7327909
It's him, so don't worry.

Soon he'll start posting his maps folder that shows that states with the highest rate of binge drinking have the lowest rates of sharia law. Because, you know, that's a real concern here in the states.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.