[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uni Foods Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: ladsladslads.jpg (282 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
ladsladslads.jpg
282 KB, 1024x683
UK here. Soon off to university (or college) and definitely going self-catered.

Apart from the basics like instant noodles, what would you say are some cheap, reliable, easy dishes to make not just for myself but for friends in my accommodation?

Preferably vegetarian dishes. I plan to eat meat in uni but vege dishes are still priority.

pic semi related, fish and chips has always been good to me.
>>
sandwiches
canned and non canned soups
>>
You'll have more money then you think for food, just rotate some basic stuff and you'll be fine.

Pizza and pasta obviously.

Spaghetti bolognese and chilli con carne are quick and easy.

Frozen burgers, birds eye chicken breast things etc. with chips.
>>
I would suggest beef stew, but I don't know how you're supposed to cube steak without a knife.
>>
>>7311028
Rice and Pasta, find yourself a meat market. In Newcastle we have Grainger Market that has tonnes of fishmongers and butchers selling dirt cheap meat. All of them sell 5kg boxes of chicken breast for under £20, shits cash. Find a market for wherever you're gonna live.
>>
>>7311051
scissors
unless those are illegal in the UK
>>
File: stop_posting.jpg (47 KB, 630x473) Image search: [Google]
stop_posting.jpg
47 KB, 630x473
>>7311050
>frozen burgers
Stop it you stupid idiot.
>>
>>7311028
Bread. Places throw out a shit-tonne of bread. The sainsburys near me has bags of bagels for 39p and doughnut trays.
Fruit salad is surprisingly effective.
>>
File: NjXJ8V2.png (3 MB, 625x7465) Image search: [Google]
NjXJ8V2.png
3 MB, 625x7465
buy dried lentils and dried split peas. You don't have to soak them like regular beans, so they are good for a dinner ready 45 minutes or so. Potatos, carrots, spinach or bell peppers are easy additions to the soup, in conjunction with onions and garlic. Lentils make a good enough broth that you don't need stock, but you should get stock, or stock cubes, if you are cooking split peas.

You can eat it with rice or buy some naan.

Fried rice and stir fries are also easy dishes, carrots, broccoli, spring onions, garlic, egg, rice or noodles. You'll have to figure out your preferred sauce yourself though, here's an infographic for you
>>
>>7311051
why won't he have a knife
>>
>>7311028
It's easy OP. You won't even have to eat instant noodles. Buy cheap vegetables, especially when they're on sale, lots of eggs and alternate between rice, pasta and potatoes as a source of carbs. Don't fall for premade food, it's usually more expensive and less healthy than your own cooking, and it doesn't save a ton of time.
>>7311050
>Spaghetti bolognese and chilli con carne are quick and easy.
Each of those take several hours to cook m8
>>
>>7311073
knives larger than paring knives are illegal in Britain.
>>
>>7311071
sound advice
>>
>>7311075
>paring knives
So he will have a knife then?
You're weird, anon.
>>
>>7311100
have fun cutting thick steaks with a paring knife.
>>
>>7311075

100% Bullshit.
>>
>>7311104
You ARE weird, anon.
I bet you think guns are illegal in the UK too?
>>
>>7311171
I live in Britain, can confirm it's real.
>>
>>7311177

Funny because I live in the UK and can confirm it's bullshit.

Don't get me wrong this country has some dumb fucking laws on self defence in general but that's just factually incorrect.
>>
>>7311176

They aren't illegal but the law is fairly restrictive and owning them is next to impossible if you aren't a farmer, rich or have access to a shooting range/club.
>>
>>7311184
You're wrong.
>>
>>7311177
Are you the Scottish anon from the haggis thread?
>>
>>7311192
Nope.
>>
>>7311191

I own knives larger than that right fucking now.

I just bought one over fucking Christmas.

>>7311192

No though I am also Scottish.
>>
Different day, same fucking threads.

/ck/ needs a fucking quality sticky already.
>>
>>7311197

>No though I am also Scottish.

Also not the person you were talking too.

>>7311199

>/ck/ needs a fucking quality sticky already.

/ck/ has never had a sticky because of the sheer impossibility of people agreeing on anything. Try starting a thread on how to cook rice, for example.
>>
>>7311190
That's untrue.
By law, as a British citizen you have the right to own a firearm. If you apply for a licence it's up to the police to prove that you are not a fit individual to own one. (Criminal record, Mental health issues, extreme views etc).
>>
>>7311211

>By law, as a British citizen you have the right to own a firearm. If you apply for a licence it's up to the police to prove that you are not a fit individual to own one. (Criminal record, Mental health issues, extreme views etc).

Only if you have a valid reason to own one. Outside of farming and hunting that means joining a club. You also still have to get other people to vouch for you not being crazy and prove the ability to store it properly.

Then you've got to buy ammo within set limits etc.
>>
>>7311208
We need a sticky for stupid sit like this. Cheap food, college food, Ramen BS, stocks, soups, stews, how long to cook steak to desired doneness, how to make pasta, beans, lentils, bake a simple bread.

It isn't rocket science. Basic cooking survival, done on the cheap.
>>
>>7311028
Be like me, a Britfag, and eat fishcustard.
>>
>>7311225

Just direct people to the booru:

http://ck.booru.org/

And really /ck/ is mostly for shitposting rather than actual cooking.
>>
File: gamer.jpg (77 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
gamer.jpg
77 KB, 550x413
>>7311235
The Booru is utter crap.
Nobody takes that shit seriously.
If we had a sticky it could be killed off.
>>
>>7311242

A sticky that would be, at best, filled with the same crap.

/ck/ works as it is. Mildly food related shitposting and the occasional good thread. Any attempt to 'fix' boards like this leads to them losing what made them good in the first place.
>>
Not only are real knives illegal in bongland, the coppers have had the stunning plan to simply put up bins on street corners, so that dangerous knife-toting criminals will see the error of their ways and deposit their knives, saws, hatchets, hammers, pistols, and deadly bicycle wheels in them.
>>
>>7311192
There are more of us lurking than you can possibly imagine
>>
>>7311297
Truth
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.