[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will lab created meat/"animal" fat really work, or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: labmeat.jpg (43 KB, 477x292) Image search: [Google]
labmeat.jpg
43 KB, 477x292
Will lab created meat/"animal" fat really work, or will it be a momentous failure (at least in the near future)? I mean, it almost seems that, from most scientific literature, most vegetable oils, when heated to high temperatures (in many cooking applications,) create more trans-fats than their animal-based counter parts.

I'm all for moving away from animal based products, if viable alternatives exit, but how is this shit supposed to work out?
>>
I don't know when, but I'm less interested in how it turns out for culinary reasons than I am for medical ones.

If they can produce artificial muscle tissue, imagine what they might be able to do if they apply that to medical science.
>>
they will figure it out... they always do

i heard japan is harvesting undigested food from sewage waste to manufacture some kind of meat
>>
>>7308799
people literally shovel awful quality shit down their necks all day, if this is made financially viable, we will be eating it one day.
>>
>>7308842
are you kidding? fucking speciesist cunt, this is about saving animals, not fucking extending the lives of the human garbage ruining the planet!
>>
>>7308849
the process is actually to collect the shit and cook the bacteria growing on it and processing it into an edible protein brick
>>
>>7308862
that's cool and all but medical science is more interesting than your limp-wristed morals
>>
>>7308851
This. People already eat nuggets and hot dogs made from whatever animal waste thrown in a fucking blender. Grow something tasty and cheaper than what you can grow a cow for and it'll be yuge.

Hell, I'm more concerned about the water used by livestock than anything else. Drought destroyed the cattle herds.
>>
>>7308799
totally will come about. Mostly in order of >>7309049 (processed meat paste)
to ground beef and meatloaf mix
and maybe even whole cuts of meat although thats unlikely.

Welcome a world where premium, animal-based meat exists alongside cheap lab meat products
>>
File: kanye salami.jpg (581 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kanye salami.jpg
581 KB, 1280x720
The issue is that it is very bland, hence having to use a lot of salt, fat, and seasonings or making things such as salami. That, and it's not financially viable yet.
>>
>>7309305
If you could privately commission a celebrity meat product like this, who would you pick?
>>
It will end up being significantly more costly in resources than the real thing for many years.

Until it isn't it's not going to take off.
>>
>>7308849
>>7308864
And this is how BioMeat became a work of non-fiction
>>
>>7308799
You mean cancerous tumors galore to maintain the medical industries disgusting strangle hold on the worlds economys??

Raking in 800 billion per year when natural remedies like raw food and urine therapy exist.... hmmmmm.
>>
File: 1422083716669.gif (2 MB, 400x529) Image search: [Google]
1422083716669.gif
2 MB, 400x529
>>7309305
mootmeat when?? look at those limbs I bet mootmeat would be like veal
>>
>>7309334
I would be more interested in the implications legally.
actually first of all, is it even illegal to eat human meat?

second, if so, does the meat actually have to have come from a human directly or would lab grown get a pass?
>>
Kind of. Really, this is not much different from simply growing molds in petridishes.

There will probably be a huge backlash against it, and slowly, but surely definitions will change to allow more and more of it in mixtures or to have it labeled as "BEEF" and not "BEEF PRODUCT"
>>
>>7309686
cant we just call it soylent red?
>>
>>7309664
its not illegal to eat human meat itself.

its illegal to
>harvest human meat
>kill humans
>not report death and instead, defile the corpse
and many other human meat specifics

its kind of like the fact that its not illegal to be high on drugs(unless driving, underage) but many circumstances around drugs are illegal
>>
>>7308799

>most vegetable oils, when heated to high temperatures (in many cooking applications,) create more trans-fats than their animal-based counter parts.

They don't form trans fats when heated. That's not how you make trans fats.

The best option is to just learn to enjoy simple, sustainable foods that are good for you. Making a new kind of meat out of oils and protein extracts doesn't solve many problems and may even cause more.
>>
>>7308799

If you can make it into pre-packaged hot dog or hamburger form and it's cheap enough and has dubious health claims on the packaging, people will buy it.
>>
>>7309782
so under the law, if you were to lose your arm in an industrial accident and decided to eat the meat from the accidentally severed arm, you would be able to skirt around the law

if you lost a limb would you eat your own meat? or would you just let them throw it away in the garbage
>>
>>7309334
Taylor Swift
>>
>>7310820
I'd imagine that you'd be hauled off for mental evaluation at the least
>>
>>7310820
Yup self-cannibalism is technically legal.

A more muted example is that among the dedicated wiccans, there is a strong tradition of drinking blood.
>>
>>7310835

In the Thelemic tradition, there is a ritual that involves making a sort of communion bread out of semen and menstrual blood (it's described in terms of human sacrifice in the book, but "fresh blood of the moon" being menstrual blood and "children" being semen.
>>
>>7308799
Yeah the science is there, it's all about upscaling it to industrial levels. I work in biotech (no not anything relevant to meat) and it really should be doable. Hamburger is going to be way easier than steak though. I think we'll have widespread scienceburgers in the next 20 years, steak in 30.

The real struggle is getting over idiots freaking out about things being "unnatural" so it has to get very cheap, and beef has to keep getting more expensive.
>>
>>7308862
>ruining the planet
'caus our planet has fee-fees we must protect.
>>
>>7309782
isn't it legal to have a consenting human give you some of their meat?

:^)
>>
>>7309049
>>7309268
>>7311144
That's the whole problem, making consumable amounts of this shit has been prohibitively expensive. Essentially what they do is create shitloads of strands of proteins and wrap/stack them until they resemble hamburger. Unfortunately that process uses a lot of time and money, so until they can find a cheaper way I don't think it's viable
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.