[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the deal with grass fed beef? Does it taste different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: beefbert.png (74 KB, 652x210) Image search: [Google]
beefbert.png
74 KB, 652x210
What's the deal with grass fed beef? Does it taste different (better?) than grain fed?
>>
>>7308097
Grain fed cattle is bred to be fattened up as quickly as possible for market. Grass fed are usually older cattle, leaner and a little tougher. The flavor difference depends on more than just grass v. grain (e.g. hormones & antibiotics, method of slaughter, etc.)
>>
>>7308097
Here's a link to a taste test:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/shopping/2006/11/raising_the_steaks.2.html
>>
it's hard to explain the taste, but it's usually more "meaty" (not gamey, you can just really taste the beef flavor, especially in a nicely cooked steak), I prefer the texture as well. all in all it's delicious, but I think I notice the taste difference a lot more with free range poultry
>>
>>7308195
>Slate.com
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>7308225
Schatzker is pretty spot on as a food writer. You may not agree with him, but discounting his opinions outright is just silly.
>>
>>7308257
No, I discount Slate's pulp. As far as Schatzker is concerned, this unrepresentative "test" was an excuse to buy himself and his friends a bunch of premium dry aged beef on the company dime. Not a bad strategy from such a bad writer, but the end result is clickbaity bullshit.
>>
>>7308097

I think grass fed tastes heaps better, like the beefiness is way more intense.
>>
>>7308300
One could say every taste test or restaurant review is that. I understand trying to discount food journalism because food writers sometimes say things you don't like. That doesn't change the fact that Schatzker is a reasonably well respected writer on the strength of the Dorito Effect alone.

Yeah his flaws are obvious - he writes like the internet. That doesn't mean the substance of his work is as easily dismissed as some of his prose.
>>
>>7308097
>grass fed

what else?!
>>
I wonder if it tastes anything like deer.
I had a deer shank cooked for me once and that flavor of all the grass and flora they eat was wonderful. I ate it for days.
>>
grain fed: more marbling

grass fed: more flavor

take your pick
>>
>>7310906
Make me
>>
File: closeup_home_beef.jpg (74 KB, 504x335) Image search: [Google]
closeup_home_beef.jpg
74 KB, 504x335
>>7310906
Amount of marbling depends a great deal more on the breed of the cattle. The quality of marbling is determined by the type of feed.

>grass-fed wagyu
>>
File: a5.jpg (155 KB, 640x328) Image search: [Google]
a5.jpg
155 KB, 640x328
>>7311091
breed and feed are both very important

i guarantee this isn't fed grass.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.