[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's smokin' today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11
File: smokin pork.jpg (23 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
smokin pork.jpg
23 KB, 350x263
Getting ready to throw a 6 pound pork butt in the smoker. It's been rubbed and allowed to rest over night in the fridge, and before it goes in the smoker, it's going to get injected with apple juice and a tbs of the rub mixed.

Estimated cook time is 1.5 hour per pound X 6 = 9 hours at 240-250 deg F.

Will be spritzed with apple juice and apple cider vinegar once an hour after she hits 100 deg F.

Once she hits 165 deg F, she's getting double foiled, and I'll finish it in the oven.

pic related: what she's headin' for...
>>
>>7300029
Godspeed, OP. Remember it's punch a vegan in the face day today.
>>
File: 1449414118555.gif (378 KB, 223x199) Image search: [Google]
1449414118555.gif
378 KB, 223x199
>>7300029
I'll give you a bump so we can see the progress OP.
>>
File: smokin peppers.jpg (13 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
smokin peppers.jpg
13 KB, 275x183
>>7300029

Smoke's on, bitches!

G'damn smoker leaks like a sieve and is a pain in the ass to get to a stable temp.

Goal is 150 - 175 deg.

Threw some maters', habs, jalapeno's, and sorrano peppers in that bitch to have chipotle peppers, and to make a hickory smoked salsa.
>>
>>7300029
Looks good.
I need to get round to building a smoker.
>>
File: My pos smoker.png (551 KB, 500x815) Image search: [Google]
My pos smoker.png
551 KB, 500x815
>>7300353
>I need to get round to building a smoker.

Probably your best bet.

Pic related is my p.o.s. smoker I bought at WalMart for 78 bucks, instead of getting a decent weber kettle grill. It leaks like a mofo, which makes cutting off oxygen to the fuel source damn near impossible, unless you seal it up yourself.

The sad thing is that during my research on sealing this bitch, I've found that it's common for pretty much every smoker sold on the market to leak like a sieve, no matter how much they charge for them. I'd be pissed if I shelled out 4 or 5 bills and still had to fuck with the thing to make it work right.

Regardless, it's the perfect size for me, was cheap, and puts out great BBQ with a little tending.
>>
>>7300353
>>7300405
google ugly drum smokers
>>
>>7300405
I was just planning on stacking some old bricks into a chimney and sealing it with clay.
Not sure how well it would work, I'll post some pics tomorrow night.
>>
>>7300029
>injecting with apple juice
why do people do this

>spritzing with apple juice
I can understand this since keeping the environment humid is pretty important, though it really depends on your setup. If you've got an upright with a water dish, it serves the exact same purpose. In either case, there's really no particular reason to waste money using apple juice when water will work fine, it's going to just evaporate anyway. There's ESPECIALLY no reason to spritz with apple juice when your meat is already going to be injected with apple juice.
>>
File: pork goodness.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
pork goodness.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>7300728

I tried the injection with chicken, and it turned out great, so I'm going to try it with the pork and compare to the last one I did.

pic related: bout an hour and a half in
>>
Protip: Has it been a day or two since you barbecued but you've still got leftovers that are starting to look a bit sad? Get some pastry sheets and fold that shit with some beans and salsa into empanadas. This is my absolute favorite way of reviving leftover barbecue.
>>
I smoke everyday.

I'M ADDICTED!
>>
Internal temp's reading 176.

Gonna ride it out in the smoker till she reads 190.
>>
File: Gettin barky.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Gettin barky.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Coming along nicely.

Maybe another hour before it's time to rest it.

The water pan seems to be keeping it moist enough, so I haven't spritzed it but once.
>>
File: Porky goodness.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Porky goodness.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
Time to rest.

Nice color on this bitch without getting burnt.
>>
File: Peppers.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Peppers.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
The peppers and maters'.

Time to make some salsa.
>>
How does one "inject" a liquid into the meat?
>>
File: flavor-injector-c.jpg (63 KB, 574x574) Image search: [Google]
flavor-injector-c.jpg
63 KB, 574x574
>>7301811
With an injector.
>>
>>7301822
Do you inject it right under the skin or inside the flesh in a number of places, much like pricking potatoes for baking with a fork?
>>
>>7301848
In the flesh.

It's up to you how much.

I've had great results injecting whole chickens. I jab a few in each breast, in the drumsticks, and in the thighs. Shit turns out criminally delicious.
>>
>>7301606
Fuck you OP, that looks amazing.
>>
File: microwave.jpg (5 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
microwave.jpg
5 KB, 268x188
>>
File: plated.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
plated.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Pic related: Hickory smoked pulled pork butt, apple cider vinegar based slaw, corn bread with jalapeno and habanero peppers....and a beer.

The flavor turned out excellent, however, this butt wasn't as tender as my last. That could be because I didn't foil this one, or simply due to the meat. The injection offered no additional flavor, but I believe it contributed to the over all juicy consistency throughout the entire roast. If you look, you can see some of the smoke ring formed on a couple pieces in the pic. The hickory smoke, combined with the rub, is absolutely delicious.

Next butt will be smoked with apple wood, and I'll foil it to see if that helps with the tenderness given the same amount of time.

OP out.
>>
>>7300029
I really want to do another pork butt, but no where around here is selling butts at the moment. Might have to go to an actually butcher. Or I might grab a small brisket.

Either way, my smoker needs food lol.
>>
>>7301997
>hickory smoke
So you have the tastes of a child?
>>
>>7302001
>I really want to do another pork butt, but no where around here is selling butts at the moment.

My supermarket had them on sale for a buck a pound, so I bought two.

I've got a salmon filet in a dry brine I'm going to smoke with some apple wood here in a day or two, and I've got ribs, chicken, and another pork butt in the freezer.

>>7302016
Between hickory, apple, and mesquite, I figured I'd go with hickory on this smoke.

What would you recommend for pork?
>>
>>7302024
Apple or cherry, mesquite for everything else.
>>
>>7302041
Apple is definitely getting used on the next pork butt.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.