[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are your thoughts on filipino foods, /ck/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12
File: Bistek_Tagalog-02.jpg (369 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Bistek_Tagalog-02.jpg
369 KB, 1280x960
what are your thoughts on filipino foods, /ck/?
>>
File: ap sauce.jpg (161 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
ap sauce.jpg
161 KB, 500x333
I enjoy some of their condiments, but most of the food is pretty bad.
>>
I could see how if you grew up eating it, you would think it's the best, but yeah it's pretty nasty

it's just like dirtier Chinese food
>>
>>7297393
Bistec, adobo, sinigan, and milaga for me....teh rest can go straight to the garbage
>>
>>7297401
I grew up eating it and it's not necessarily the best. I guess it's because I've been eating it so ducking much I'm tired of most of it.

I still have a craving for adobo and sinigang every once in awhile though.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 400x300
I am not pinoy but grew up in a Filipino culture/ area

I love adobo and sig-sig
Chocolate pork can be good or literally the worst thing ever
Pic is sig
>>
>>7297403
It's funny how these are basically variations of more common dishes like Salisbury steak and teriyaki chicken.

Sinigang is the exception. I let my gf try it without telling her it's "sour pork soup" and she loved it.
>>
>>7297393
Rice and hot dogs doesn't seem appealing to me
>>
>>7297393
Why would that county's food even enter our thoughts?
>>
File: 124.jpg (120 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
124.jpg
120 KB, 1024x768
Filipino Mcdonalds
>>
Grew up absolutely hating the way my dad cooked food. All of it looked like literal diarrhea or random stuff stuffed into a pot with an awfully strong fish or vinegar smell. I ended up eating out a hell of a lot and eventually learned to cook for myself.
Still hate filipino food.
>>
>>7297393
I hate hotdogs, so I guess I hate flip food.
>>
File: 1889788772_53655a80e2.jpg (89 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1889788772_53655a80e2.jpg
89 KB, 500x375
>>7297393
DERISHUS!

Seriously, though, there's a lot of good and interesting stuff. Would love to travel around there for a while.
>>
>>7297393
Jesus the comments in this thread is cancerous as fuck. It really depends on how its cooked, for example, I love everything my mom makes in regards to Filipino food but I cannot stand anyone else making it because a lot of it lacks taste.
>>
I like the girls they're chill, and the food is great most of the time.
>>
>>7297393
My Filipino step-mother made some fucking delicious chicken and pork adobo when her and my dad were visiting a couple months ago.

I keep meaning to make some myself but keep forgetting to do it. Maybe I'll make a note of it on my next shopping list so I remember to get what I need.
>>
>>7297972

>i like the girls they're chill

In my experience they all come from overbearing, stupidly Catholic families, and however good the food is it's not worth the effort.
>>
I like lumpia and pan de sal

Everything else is shit except halo halo

Literally just frying tilapia and soaking it in soy sauce a dish does not make
>>
>>7297393
shit tier. source: am filipino
>>
>>7297393
I dont eat cats nor dogs
Thank you but no thnak you
>>
>>7297393
Pinoy here. Some are great but if you're looking for delicious stuff you're better off looking at our neighbor's cuisine. My favorite is "sinigang na baboy" which is just pork in some tamarind soup or something. Most Filipino cuisines are taken from other countries like Spain, Malay, China and other stuff considering our history.

Really if I have to be blatantly honest about it, its pretty bad and unhealthy.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160108-151812-1.jpg (206 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160108-151812-1.jpg
206 KB, 853x480
>>7297393
The flips have a great variation of carbonara, prefer it over the cream, egg, cheese, bacon, and peas traditional style.

https://youtu.be/K-PKO2FrdPY
>>
File: Pinakbet.jpg (108 KB, 960x637) Image search: [Google]
Pinakbet.jpg
108 KB, 960x637
>>7298593
>unhealthy
Hold up. You trying to tell me pakbet is unhealthy?

I do love me some kare kare and pancit palabok though.
>>
>>7298715
Its traditionally cooked with tons of fish paste and that is hella salty. Tell me that makes pinakbet healthy, I dare you.
>>
It's possibly the worst cuisine on the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBen06dpD8Y
>>
>>7297393
My ex had a Flip mother and a Japanese father. She made no bones about preferring Japanese and Chinese cuisine to Filipino foods, and would only cook me adobo out of the entire country's cuisine. I said it couldn't possibly be that bad, so we drove two hours to the nearest Filipino restaurant (this was a major city, so it says something when a cuisine is just unreppresented). It really was that bad.

I knew a Filipino girl who started a catering business and ended up having to basically make everything western food with a twist because actual Filipino food was so unpopular.
>>
>>7298758
Adobo is pretty tasty, especially when eaten with rice covered with banana leaves during lunch. Everything else about flip food is true in my book too, even the pancit which is from China manages to be bland tasting.
>>
Korean here. I don't like Filipino cuisine imho senpai. I dislike Chinese cuisine even more. Vietnamese cuisine is good. Japanese cuisine is good. Haven't had enough Thai to form an opinion. Yes I like kimchi.
>>
>>7297393
It depends on who's cooking. Everything my co-workers bring for lunch is slathered in fermented shrimp paste or fermented smelt sauce, then microwaved. The break room reeks like a fucking sewer at lunchtime. I eat in my office. My wife makes very good Filipino food because she doctors it up with ingredients giving it, to varying degrees, more Thai, Chinese, Korean, or American flair. She never cooks anything straight Filipino style, despite being Filipina because, well, plain Filipino food is gross. Get this: Ice cream flavor include avocado and corn with cheese. Fuuuuuck. Some of the pastries are okay: Pan de sal and hopia. Others are gross: There's one that's basically a huge sweet dinner roll slathered with margarine then topped with sugar and fake shredded cheddar cheese.
>>
>visiting cousins
>take me around town
>street vendor selling deep fried chicken skin
>this is commonplace

good with vinegar

also trying to remember this dish i had. it was a thin clear soup with thin rice noodles and mince meat

>>7297675
doesnt everyone eat jolly bee though?
>>
lol @ all this self-hate
>>
>>7297970
> cancerous
> only eats what mommy makes
>>
>>7298657
Came here looking for this, was not disapointed.
>>
File: 1447096101820.gif (952 KB, 230x181) Image search: [Google]
1447096101820.gif
952 KB, 230x181
>>7297393
Half pinoy here.

There's a lot of weird stuff. Some of it is good, some is bad. The best stuff is usually the varieties of fried rice, noodles, meats and seafood.
>>
>>7297777
r u me t︂b︂︂h faⅿ
>>
>>7300506
Nope, I am not black.
>>
Pancit is good. Lumpia is good. Fuck everything else.
>>
>>7300523

how much of their food other than pancit and lumpia have you actually eaten?

to me that seems like someone saying pizza and spaghetti are good, but fuck the rest of Italian food.
>>
File: DSC_0105.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0105.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Pan de Ube and Pan de Coco are nice and the similar taro bun things are good too.
>>
>>7300523
Sisig is super yummy drinking food: It's a hash of boiled then broiled hog ear and snout, which, when tender is diced and sautéd with garlic, onions, and Thai peppers. Savory, spicy, crunchy, chewy porky goodness. Very good with a cold Pilsner.
>>
Filipino here as well. Menudo, lumpia, pancit, sisig, kare kare, and adobo for me. Fuck mostly everything else, except rusing people with "chocolate pork".
>>
>>7297393
Filipino food is Puerto Rico tier.
>>
I'm aussie and I have had and liked: adobo, menudo, sisig and pancit

Would never try balut and the blood jelly dish.. that i forgot its name wasn't that good
>>
>>7301097

Ok, it's called dinuguan. had it once
>>
>>7300990

Nice try, I watched you fuckers cook it beforehand. Still not bad. Pigs feet stews are good too.
>>
>>7301097
blood jelly dish is based tbuj
>>
File: My_nigga!.png (90 KB, 190x265) Image search: [Google]
My_nigga!.png
90 KB, 190x265
>>7297403
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (172 KB, 1023x767) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
172 KB, 1023x767
this shit right here
god's gift
>>
>>7297393
MY MAN

bistek so underrated
>>
So I have had some Flip friends in the past and got to try a little bit of their food. It's generally not good. Which is kinda weird because they are located in the region with the best cuisines in the world. I enjoyed sisig and a few other dishes but for the most part the food was really bleh. And I never understood the adobo obsession, it's not a good dish.

I did go to a Flip restaurant twice and did like a few dishes there but it was years ago and I don't remember what I had other than sisig.
>>
>>7297393
>what are your thoughts on filipino foods, /ck/?
I don't know how a country that's located in asia and that was colonized by the Spanish can have more boring, worse-cooked and less healthy food than Great Britain but somehow the flips managed it.
>>
I'm Filipino-Chinese. My dad has heart issues so every time my mom would cook Filipino food it would be without all the excess oil and salt. It was kind of a shock whenever we'd have "real" Filipino food at relative's parties because it was always swimming in oil and grease.

My favourite dish is pancit palabok. The others are just variations of Chinese dishes (siopao, pancit canton, grilled squid, etc). The garlic rice served at breakfasts can be really nice with fish.

I love Filipino desserts though, especially maja blanca and bibingka. Turon is really good too. Oh, and polvoron with the rice crispies.
>>
File: lumpia2.jpg (79 KB, 621x417) Image search: [Google]
lumpia2.jpg
79 KB, 621x417
>>7297393
These kick ass, Lumpia.
Philipino spring rolls.
They're really good.
>>
what's the big fucking deal about pan de sal it's just fucking bread and my grandma treats it like God's gift to man
>>
>>7297393
POOR PEOPLE FOOD

It's not all bad. Pag-pag is the best part.
>>
>>7302555
>maja blanca

YESSSSSSS
>>
Champorado looks like chunky diarrhea, but I like it.

Imbotido is that good shit.

Menudo is one of my go to's

Dinuguan so that I can savor people's reactions when I tell them what it is.

Sisig when I drink.

Bangus for breakfast.

Lechon for obvious reasons.

Taho was a favorite of mine the last time I visited.

Munggo

I could go all day with this.
>>
>>7298818
Everyone likes kimchi
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.