[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
vegetarian diet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: werwer.jpg (12 KB, 162x200) Image search: [Google]
werwer.jpg
12 KB, 162x200
im starting to feel morally conflicted about eating meat, can anyone help me make a complete-ish vegetarian diet?
>>
Nobody is going to help you.

Might as well stock up on frozen vegetarian pizzas and add fresh ingredients.
>>
How come you feel conflicted about exploiting animal lifes to feed you but not about exploiting human lifes that build the very device you used to post your thread?
>>
>>7290579
HEY MAN IT'S OKAY.
YOU'LL SNAP OUT OF IT LATER.

EVEN NOW, I HONESTLY DON'T LIKE EATING FOOD THAT LOOKS THE SAME DEAD AS IT DID ALIVE.

THINGS LIKE FRIED FISH, LOBSTER, CRAB, AN ENTIRE PIG, AND SHIT WITH EYES STILL ON IT ISN'T SOMETHING I'LL EVER EAT.

BUT HEY, CANNED TUNA, LOBSTER WITHOUT THE SHELL, AND CRAB LEGS WITHOUT THE CRAB ATTACHED I FAIR GAME.

I DON'T KNOW MAN I'M JUST WEIRD LIKE THAT.
>>
Vegetarianism will never be popular enough to save the animals.

You not eating meat does not make a difference.

40% of food on america is wasted.

The plant farming industry is responsible for millions of animal deaths through pest control and harvesting.

Eventually genetic engineering animals without brain capacity will be a thing and cloning female only animals will be more affordable than breeding animals and wasting half of the offspring at birth.

We'll eventually either be able to clone meat and fat as is or we'll successfully engineer animals that are all flesh and no cognitive brains. That's the only solution. So sit tight and remember there is literally nothing you can do to alleviate the suffering of animals for now and if you think not buying meat will help that, then you're mistaken.
>>
>>7290579
Just eat lots of beans and try not to eat too many carbs. It's really easy to eat too many carbs when you stop eating meat.
>>
>>7290633
I used to think like that but have you ever looked into the meat economy? The (Canadian) meat business is in the can. I don't know about the US but it's working in Canada.
>>
>>7290642
Definitiely what anon said. Especially if you aren't going vegan (not that you should) you'll probably eat tons of pasta and pizza. Just don't let yourself get into that. If you do need a quick fix, I've found that Gardein brand is the best frozen vegetarian out there. It's disgustingly good. You legit can't tell the different between their chicken fingers and meat.

Tofu really is delicious. You need to make sure to squeeze the shit out of the water though or it won't taste like anything.

You need to find your own personal subsitute for meat. Something that satisfies that craving or else you'll revert back to eating crap. For me it's veggie chili (I use soy crumble in it) and tofu.

Also, a good option might be to start out pescatarian and then slowly get into vegetarian.
>>
>>7290606
>>7290579
Don't be such faggots. Buy a gun and hunt. No meat taste better then some you stared down before you kill it. Deer suck anyway. Meat has been in our diet forever, embrace it.
>>
>>7290633
This just isn't a good enough argument to justify not being vegetarian on a personal level. Millions of people die every day but other people being shitty, but it doesn't justify you yourself being a shithead. I doesn't bother me that everybody isn't vegetarian mostly because it isn't the social norm, but don't make black and white type arguments that don't hold up on individual levels.

>>7290673
>Meat has been in our diet forever, embrace it.
This is bullshit. 1. Meat has been in our diet as an obvious necessity until recently. Meat gives more bang for a buck than a vegetable; it feeds more people at once, it's relatively easily transportable (a cow can walk, a plant cannot walk), it tastes good and it is filling. It made sense to eat it. Nowadays, it is not even close to being a necessity in any well off country. There are a million substitutions to meat that are readily available and provide the same if not better stability and nutrients. Meat is no longer an essential and that's just a fact.
>>
>>7290579

stock up on your favorite legumes like kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc

people have a skewed idea of the amount of protein you actually need to be healthy and often overeat on meat so like, just do the same thing you usually do but replace meat with something

fake stuff is delicious too like soy sausages and seitan and tempeh. bean burgers one of my top foods ez
>>
>>7290579
I like Tofurkey products.
>>
>>7290698
>Equating eating meat to being a shithead, human lives to animals lives
Mental illness, pls
>>
>>7290698
eating meat is natural and we evolved to do it just like many other carnivorous animals. If killing animals is such an issue for you, then we better figure out how to keep all the wolves, lions, bears, alligators, falcons and other carnivores alive without hurting any precious animals
>>
>>7290579
I mean I've thought about becoming vegetarian, but I never felt a moral guilt about eating meat. I definitely think it's easy to do with all the plant based meat alternatives nowadays.
>>
>>7290603
It's a free range grass fed tablet, you shitlord.
>>
>>7291055
>>7291024

Fuck me. I'm the one that posted. I truly wasn't being like a diehard meat is murder whiner. Fine I'll take the blame for lazily spewing instead of using more words to ensure noone was butthurt.

A. I was not equating eating meat to being a shithead. I used the wording because most people that argue against being vegetarian think that vegetarians think eating meat is shitty. You used the excuse that it isn't going to save the animals and 40% of food is wasted. These are shitty things....hence the use of shitheads. It still just isn't a good argument. Take out my use of shitheads. Argument still stands.

B. I literally said eating meat is natural and it was an essential part of the human diet. It just isn't anymore. aka the argument is bullshit and meant to be a hurr durr but god made meat argument.

Literally in my words I say > I doesn't bother me that everybody isn't vegetarian

But its cool. You guys are the saviour of the meat movement for calling out another vegeterrorist.
>>
>>7291083
I've been vegetarian for almost a year now. I just replaced meat with veg protein, like beans, soy and seitan. Cook a big pot of assorted beans and freeze it in several portions.
>>
>>7291105
Not op. I posted the wildly infuriating vegetarian logic. But cool
>>
>>7291126
You should cook beans too man, beans are good.
>>
>>7291131
Fucking hate them. Hate their texture. Their flavor is lacking and the texture detracts from it.

Love peas though. Peas are great. How can one form of legume be amazing while the others are grainy shitty garbage?

Anyway whenever I post on these threads the logic I'm confronted with us similar to a community college ethics class. I get my eggs and chicken delivered from a local farm that I can ride my bicycle to in good weather. They deliver bi weekly for not that much more than grocery store prices. They're free range and very well kept. The chickens are smaller than the mass farmed ones but they have a load more flavor and aren't confined to cages. I've seen the facility many times. I live in outskirts of Chicago and it wasn't that difficult to find this farm that fits my standards and needs. Same with beef and pork.

The pig farmer is in central illinois and has hand raised piglets who have lost their mother, he cares that much. Ended up keeping some of them even if they weren't great breeding stock. He loves his pigs and treats them incredibly well. I'll get half a hog every six months for my big ol freezer.

I'll get half a cow a year from a small farmer in central illinois. I have to drive down and pick it up since shipping is a bitch. It's a small operation the guy has on the side. He mainly grows soybeans and corn as part of a larger operation. Basically he works for a large corporation to make money but he keeps his cows to feed himself and make some cash on the side. Cows are adorable. They have a couple donkeys that keep the cows company. Tons of space to roam and nice clean facilities.

It takes some work, but I eat my meat without any guilt or doubt. There are agricultural practices that are muchmore harmful to the environment than my meat consumption. I'm a geologist, I'm constantly hearing from ecologists how damaging the methods of mass farming crops is to the local wildlife and the environment. Be an educated consumer.
>>
>>7291105
How the fuck do you freeze beans?
>>
>>7291211
Have you tried mushing the beans? I know it sounds counterproductive but it takes away from they're weird texture and its easier to flavour them. I crush the beans when I make chili and eerything.
>>
>>7291248
Put them in the freezer.
>>
>>7290633
Or just eat worms and crickets as a protein source.
>>
>>7291211
>I'm constantly hearing from ecologists how damaging the methods of mass farming crops is to the local wildlife and the environment.
>implying most of that mass farming isn't to feed livestock
unless you're talking about cheat palm oil or something, but those practices are already illegal

it's great that you get your meat from ethical sources but most people don't, so what you are doing isn't really an argument against vegetarianism.
>>
>>7291574
*cheap
>>
>>7290633

it's called supply and demand
>>
>>7291702
Actually meat is one of the very few products that verges on being purely unit elastic meaning that for every person who stops eating meat, the price lowers in a short period of time such that meat consumption remains relatively stable as consumers of meat buy more of it at a reduced price.
>>
>>7290603
Or using medicine from animal parts, which is super common.
Or clothes with leather.
Or fucking CARS AND BIKES.
OR THE FUCKING ROAD.
YOUR FUCKING SHOES.
THE GOD DAMN
EVERYTHING USES ANIMALS
FUCK
ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT IT'S IMMORAL THAT A FUCKING LION KILLS A ZEBRA?
>>
>>7290698
you know whats actually not a necessity?
children*
people think its their god given right to have as many fucking kids as they want regardless of the fact that they are the worst thing for the environemnt and the animals, they make factory farming and tight spaces economicable and make the weight of our american luxuries a strain on the environment and our dwindling supply

but all you care about is talking about the animals. who gives a shit, if you want to actually help the environment champion birth control.
>>
>>7292636
If anything you just strengthened my argument. I'm never having kids.... The point is that it comes down to everyone's god complex. If you think you can have kids or you're ok with things like capitol punishment or even if you just are repulsed by people that eat dog and horse but you'll eat your farm fresh steak.... Then by all means, why would you consider not eating meat. But understand that is not justified by the fact that it's been done for hundreds of years nor is it justified because you can't sit down, think about your own morals and decide whether it's a choice you'll take on or not. Most of my issue is that it's so clear that people refuse to consider the option and then decide to eat meat. It's just too hard to actively choose your morals (I'm not saying it's immoral to eat meat so don't jump on that faggot). It's kind of like how I have a90% of having celiac disease. I will likely get insanely sick at some point in my life from it. But I refuse to go for a blood test because I just know I won't stop eating gluten... But at least in aware that I'm choosing ignorance. The reason I became a vegetarian was less about killing animals and more about separating myself from the blind consuming society we're in.
>>
>>7292108

Further to this, I invite anyone to take a break from the concrete jungle with everything you need only 200 metres from your front door, go camping for a while and experience how FUCKING CRUEL mother nature is.

You think it's bad that we breed animals just to kill them? Mother Nature TORTURES innocent baby animals on a daily basis. There are hardly any quick, clean deaths out there in nature. They're all dragged out, gruelingly painful scenarios. Even just dying of old age like a sheep means you lay down and starve or die of thirst.

Fukn city cunts and their lack of perspective. Nature is a death machine that all the animals of the world fight off on a daily basis.
>>
>morally conflicted about eating meat

I'm not thinking you're wrong or a pussy or anything among those lines, I just find it fascinating that people can feel moral conflicted from eating a steak they get from a supermarket, when I have bred, raised, butchered (a big stick and a sharp knife), and eaten dozens upon dozens of bunnies without feeling an ounce or remorse. Different strokes, I guess.
>>
>>7292690
That is literally the point of modern day vegetarianism though. We don't live in the wild... We do not need to. The more we advance in society the less necessary it is. Whether or not you agree with the principle you have to at some point admit that past arguments for eating meat just aren't applicable to the average person in today's developed society.
>>
>>7290673
I don't think anybody has a problem with hunting meat, but most people don't like the modern practice of factory farming. No, not agreeing with the frankly cruel and wasteful processes of factory farming does not make you a "faggot", it's a real issue. If you did the same things to your cat or dog, the Feds would diddle your ass to prison, where Tyrone would diddle your ass for life. I myself would much rather buy from local farmers, and I take steps to avoid large brands that practice "large-scale animal agriculture".
Saying that "lol u dont eat meat, we evolved to do that" is max edgelord
>>
>>7291409
kek
>>
>>7292736
So you think you're so much better because you kill living plants instead of living animals? You're killing something either way.
>>
>>7294131
It also riddles me with inconsolable guilt to strip the air from its oxygen and the sea from its water. Damn dude, thank you for exposing my absolute hypocrisy. I truly should just kill myself as it is obviously the only way to absolve myself from any blame.
>>
>>7290603
What are you doing for humans?
>>
File: StanVaginitis.png (199 KB, 453x338) Image search: [Google]
StanVaginitis.png
199 KB, 453x338
>>7294585

Not the same guy, but plants are living/part of nature. Sure they don't work like animals do but you're still killing something living either way.

On top of that, like the post said earlier, saying that "we're advancing in technology, we don't NEED to eat meat" doesn't make the concept any less ridiculous, since a good portion of what you have anyways is animal products, hurting the world at large, or run off of very unjust human labor.

Your dealing with shit you make no impact on and you never will. Deciding to not eat meat by yourself doesn't make you a good person, so stop being a faggot. If you REALLY gave a shit you would instead stop eating meat, and convince others/lead the charge in a progressive way to stop meat eaters at large.

So either become a radical vegetarian who strives for what they believe in, wrong or not, a normal human being, or a faggot who doesn't eat meat because you feel bad for the poor slaughter animals.
>>
File: nXr527D.jpg (176 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
nXr527D.jpg
176 KB, 760x596
>>
look, you're on 4chan, so of course you're only going to get edgelord fedora responses. but the fact that you're morally conflicted is proof you're on the right path.

i'd like to recommend literature. try "the pig who sang to the moon" or "the animal manifesto" they're both good.

don't let manchildren tell you that you need tendies to be healthy. but don't let faggots tell you that you won't miss those tendies; you will miss those tendies. but after a month or so, you won't.
>>
>>7297770
I still miss them tendies. literally crave shit like McChickens just because it's animal. Sweet sweet meat.

It's so fucking hopeless though. Meat fags just need to scream they're undying 'manliness' because it's too hard to consider being something other than consumerist cannibalistic sheep. I've never been the person to just yell veggie or die but to not even take the time to think about it and then justify it to yourself just means you're scared you might come to a different answer.
>>
>>7297770
What an edgelord post.
>>
I have a question about vegetarians. I eat both meat and plants and vegetarians claim that they don't want to eat animals because they're friends and not food and that they're living just like us.

But what about plants? Plants are also alive just like us, the grow and flourish and if people sing or talk to them they grow faster. Just because they can't 'talk' to us like animals can or look at us or whatever kind of interaction doesn't mean they aren't alive.
>>
>>7290579
ignoring most people, if you are uncomfortable with killing the animal yourself, you shouldn't eat meat. at least that's my motto. i respect life and death and the necessarry cycle, and in that way, you don't need to feel bad. but to abuse it to get a meal when not necessarry and being unable to face the truth is some pussy shit
>>
>>7290579

animals would eat you if they were given the chance.
>>
>>7297770
I've been vegan for 5 months now and I can honestly say that nothing can compare to buffalo wings, if I was a pure fuck-you hedonist I would still eat them.
It has been a fun learning experience learning though. Learning how to cook with certain limitations and then the need to diversify my diet whilst on shoestring budget got me into cooking.

Protip: Stay the fuck away from hippy vegan shops, almost everything is fucking overpriced, however look inside to look at items you want to buy later from different stores.
>>
>>7290603

Our society is founded on exploitation. Doesn't mean you have to actively participate in a blatant form of it that you can easily cut out of your life.
>>
>>7300639
Yeah, I would kill that animal and then eat it, but whilst I'm fending off all these wild animals in my suburban neighbourhood I'm going to try my hardest not to support an industry that inflicts animal cruelty 24/7 (cows perpetually kept pregnant), drains the planet of it's resources (grain and cattle land) and contributes to overpopulation (can't have a huge population without a huge meat industry).

I believe in culling since I do think humans are the stewards of the planet and if culling was certain species to maintain certain biosystems at any given time could feed everyone I would champion that, but that would only feed a portion of the planet and drive poaching up.

Yeah that animal is going to experience vomit inducing terror, but at least it's death would serve a purpose.

TL:DR: Kill animals, don't eat them.
>>
>>7301394
This tbqh familia.
>>
>>7299726
Killing animals isn't morally uncomfortable for me but it still isn't a fun thing to do. Except it is with chickens and ducks, because they're assholes, seriously fuck them.
>>
>>7300639
They likely wouldn't... Animals would only eat you if they were very hungry. Hence the difference between us eating them and them eating us. Humans don't treat animals with the same respect that all other animals treat each other with.
>>
>>7301550
>Animals would only eat you if they were very hungry
They also kill you for getting into their territory, nesting grounds, their fucking way (If you somehow make them feel threatened) whether you mean it or not.
Depends on the species, thought.
>>
File: micropenis - Copy.jpg (91 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
micropenis - Copy.jpg
91 KB, 700x525
>>7290579
>>
>>7301948
> implying humans don't
>>
do me/you a favor, and find a local free range farm that sells eggs. You can meet the chickens and see they are happy and healthy. Then dont feel guilty about buying eggs from them. If you dont eat a few eggs a week, you will have a mr wizard science experiement in your kitchen trying to build complete amino acid profiles. If you are too retarded to do that for yourself, at least remember that any major society that survived on this kind of diet understood that you must pair a grain with a legume to live. Mexican: Corn and Bean Japs: Rice and Soy
>>
File: 1292373217166.jpg (121 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1292373217166.jpg
121 KB, 768x768
>>7301951
>filename
>picture
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.