[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any food recommendations for SE Asia? Particularly from Vietnam,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
Any food recommendations for SE Asia? Particularly from Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia?

I am going to eat touristy shit -like scorpions and spiders- just cause you kinda have to; but I'm looking to try sample some of the local cuisine from restaurants and street stalls alike (they seem cleaner than PooInLoo's).

Also, should I keep my eye out for ingredients or spices that can be flown home? What about appliances/utensils? Preferably small and light (I'm looking at getting a vietnamese coffee maker, cause I collect them)
>>
File: balut1.jpg (53 KB, 300x202) Image search: [Google]
balut1.jpg
53 KB, 300x202
>>7289221
>>
Every time I think of thai food that isn't touristy shit I think of ผัดกะเพรา (phat kaphrao)

Eat it with rice.
>>
>>7289224
Will try.

Maybe.
>>
I think somethibg like "may pet" means "not hot" in thai. eat what the locals eat, don't eat western food as they don't know how to cook it execpt you go somewhere very exclusive.
I loved breakfast back there - rice, egg, all sorts of new tastes from the carts in a back street in bangkok. not been to cambodia and vietnam (yet).
>>
File: 666677.jpg (62 KB, 220x221) Image search: [Google]
666677.jpg
62 KB, 220x221
I used to live in Thailand, and just want to warn to be leery of the bugs and whatnot. Thai people do not eat these because very often, the bugs are killed with pesticide and are dangerous to eat. Everytime I would go to the night markets, I would only ever see tourists at the spider station or whatever.

Just a warning, do what you want to.
>>
>>7289475
I wont be eating many. Just one, and from a stall that my friends already eat. Safe-ish.
>>
>>7289475
Also, as someone who lived there, care about sharing some insight on must dos or must sees?
>>
File: nasi kerabu.jpg (345 KB, 2048x1300) Image search: [Google]
nasi kerabu.jpg
345 KB, 2048x1300
I never had it, but I always wanted to try nasi kerabu. If I was you, I would try this just because it looks interesting.
>>
>>7289475
Can you share some "Don't fucking do that/avoid this" advice?
>>
>>7289221
you forgot Laos you fucking bitch

>panang is god
>pad se ew is god
>Khao Poon is god
>seen hang is god
>nam khao is good

always good bamboo shit added in if you can.
>>
>>7291344
always get bamboo added if you can*
>>
>>7289224
I accidentally bought half a dozen of these along with half a dozen quail ones one night in a park in saigon a few weeks ago, I was wondering why all the nearby prostitutes were hanging around waiting on me, I just thought they were ordinary eggs.
>>
>>7289221
If you are in Hanoi you should look for the Bia Hoi district at night (north of the old quater and the turtle lake) and drink 20 cent fresh daily brewed beer along with whatever food the locals are eating, its absolute mayhem
>>
>>7289221
that pic

you can get it at every Vietnamese restaurant. What's it called?
>>
>>7291437
Bun thit nuong cha gio.
>>
OP here.

I just remembered I don't speak any of the languages, and I don't think most street vendors speak english.

How do I order ANYTHING outside of mcnuggets, if there is more than one option?
>>
>>7291582
You see what everyone else is pointing and you point at it, nigga.
>>
>>7291833
*eating and point at it

fuck
>>
>Point at the food that someone else is eating and you want to eat
>When they ask for money take out your wallet
BUT
>Pull out a cheap dollar store calculator and give it to them

If it goes well you'll find out how much without having to speak the local language

This also works when shopping for non-food things at a market.

It would still help immensely to learn how to say "I can't speak [local language]" and "How much does this cost?" to make using the calculator easier.

Also everyone and their mother speaks broken English in Thailand, and a lot of younger people speak even better English. Worst case, you wind up with a middle schooler or elementary schooler interpreting.

Not sure about Laos or Cambodia, but the calculator trick should work okay.
>>
>>7291582
If its a stall I just say hello in their language, its worth learning hello, thanks and good bye at the very least, and put my finger up as a one symbol and let them make one of whatever it is they make, I assume it would make sense that they would just give me their most popular dish.
>>
>>7291859
Calculator is a great tip, and it does help to learn how to say "how much". The calculator is also less tempting to thieves.
As a general rule I usually ask how much before I order, saves the awkward argument if theyre dishonest and want to overcharge you
>>
If you're in Thailand be sure to try khao soi, it's bangin
>>
forgot the name, but that lao spicy papaya salad thing is amazing.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.