[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thinking about a career in cooking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: asdf.jpg (9 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
9 KB, 400x224
is anybody here a professional chef? did you go to culinary school or is that a waste of money? how do you like it? how much money do you make? would you recommend it?

pic related i'm from canada
>>
Yes
No, waste of money...was long time ago tho. Things have changed.
Meh
95k, usd
No, unless u really like drinking/cooking.
>>
im pretty passionate about cooking and food so I think it's something I could enjoy

I've pretty much fucked up the last four years of my life by staying home and playing video games, so this seems like something I could do and would enjoy

just wondering if there are any line cooks here or people who have been a chef for a long time who could share their experience
>>
Find the best restaurant in town and ask to stage for a week, at least 40 hrs. If u still want to cook get a gig pt w/school or ft. Be honest with yourself. You need to be durable and have a very strong work ethic. It's mostly hard thankless work for low pay...you'd have to be a total idiot to get into this biz and not have a genuine love of kitchen life. Also substance abuse. U better have a strong constitution or enormous will power. Drugs alcohol pussy are everywhere easy to get caught up in this part of it and lose sight of why you are there in first place.
>>
I was really good at cooking as a kid and was almost about to go to culinary school then I heard from professionals who came to visit us that it's extremely stressful with insane hours and shitty pay for years and no matter how much I like cooking it's totally not worth it, so I am going to become a game designer, shitty hours but at least I don't have the chance to get 2nd degree burns all over my body and have fun with what I am doing
>>
>>7289040

There's nobody making 95k as a chef who posts on /ck/.
>>
>>728995
You'd be surprised. That's barely a living wage in a major city...where there are actual chefs. and if you have a family...it's not a living wage.
>>
>>7289942
i agree. cook here. the glamour of being a chef you see in movies are horse shit. its WORK. hard stressful work. there is almost zero reward. long hours, dealing with new hires who fuck everything up. but im 21 years into this career, no looking back now.
>>
thanks guys, bump
>>
>>7289950
99% of chefs aren't making anywhere close to $95k
>>
i used to want to be a chef.. then i changed my mind after hearing how shit it was
>>
>>7289950
He could run the kitchen at a posh hotel. Those are the gigs that pay the best.
>>
>>7290928
Same here. My original plan for my life after I graduated high school was to go to culinary school and become a chef.

Then I entered the real world, went to college for a few semesters, got a job in an entirely different industry which turned into a 15+ year career.

In that time I learned just how shitty the hours and pay are when working in a restaurant and decided I wouldn't want to deal with that shit, so I just cook as a hobby now.

If I ever have enough money and free time I would consider opening a restaurant and functioning as the owner so I could just hire the staff/managers and a decent head chef and just work with the chef to come up with ideas for dishes/specials/events/etc.
>>
Don't do it, man. It's a waste of life. You'll become an alcoholic and or a drug addict, it's a terrible life. You make no money and work 80 hours a week.
>>
>>7292216
also, no benefits or paid days off / holidays
>>
You run the risk of alcoholism.
This is one of the most least rewarding jobs for a lot of work put in.
People are dicks in this industry. And you will always encounter teenage shits with no sense of taking care of themselves. They may also be really disrespectful.

DO NOT FIGHT WITH ANYONE IN THIS JOB. Fights are ended before they start. You need to make connections.

If you love cooking though, do it. You might find you have a thicker skin than you realize.
>>
Some people have this glorified vision of chefs being like gods among all social classes. In the end they are just a guy trying their best to run a kitchen full of ex cons and sociopaths and degenerates. I've worked as a line cook my whole working life because i love the lifestyle. I'll tell you right now though, the cooking industry is not for the weak of heart, it chews up and spits out the majority of new people. You develop the "Expect the worst and you'll never be dissapointed" attitude, a horrible sleep schedule, and you'll become a vulgar pirate-esque sub human and will probably keel over and die at age 50. If you really do like working in that environment and enjoy food in the slightest you will never have a bad day at work, there is nothing like enjoying a few nice beers in the kitchen with your fellow cooks when the final rush is complete. You'll gain friends you'll have for the rest of your life and you will always be the last one standing (although it may be naked over a pan of spitting grease) at the end of a night of drinking.
>>
>>7289138
High stress, long hours on your feet and undependable co workers are very common. Be prepared to start out as the cleaning bitch and work with a bunch of alcoholics making crappy pay. If that sounds like your kinda thing then go for it, you can start making a decent living after a while but be prepared to have no social life due to long and not 9-5 hours
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.