[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cheese thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13
File: cheddar.jpg (93 KB, 879x628) Image search: [Google]
cheddar.jpg
93 KB, 879x628
List your favorite cheeses

1. English Cheddar, aged at least 3 years
2. Stilton
3. Gouda (Old Amsterdam)
4. Parmesan
5. Camembert
>>
Stilton

I usually like any blue cheese. My go to cheese used to be Gorgonzola but compared to Stilton I thought it was too watery.
>>
File: stilton.jpg (14 KB, 330x248) Image search: [Google]
stilton.jpg
14 KB, 330x248
>>7288499
Forgot pic
>>
Gouda (Old Amsterdam)

The only cheese where I have an actual favorite brand. Found it when I was living in Hamburg.
>>
excellent taste OP. my list would be similar, with the addition of mozzarella for texture reasons. parmesan is perfect for when you need the benefits of cheese in a dish but without the overpowering cheesiness.
>>
>>7288497
>English cheddar
>implying any other cheddar exists
If it's not from England, it's not cheddar.
>>
File: gouda old amsterdam.jpg (96 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gouda old amsterdam.jpg
96 KB, 800x600
>>7288509
Forgot pic again!
>>
>>7288510
Please post your list! I'd love to get to know other brands of cheese
>>
>>7288513
Last time I told someone I liked cheddar they thought of the American shit. I always make the distinction for quality.
>>
File: parmesan.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
parmesan.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
I'd figure that parmesan would be the most universally loved cheese. Its not stinky, very tasty, solid, not soft and the taste would probably be familiar for most.
>>
File: camembert.jpg (912 KB, 1770x1128) Image search: [Google]
camembert.jpg
912 KB, 1770x1128
My Mom is the bigger fan for this cheese. I eat it from time to time though I doesn't grab much of my attention.
>>
>>7288497
In the US, are there any other famous cheese states besides #1 california and #2 wisconsin?
>>
>>7288513
What about cheese from English towns other than Cheddar? There are plenty, and their "cheddar" cheese is pretty good.
>>
>>7288538
It has a unique taste, almost smokey and the texture is incredible. It isn't the most versatile cheese, in fact I don't cook a single dish with it, but tastes great by itself.
>>
I do like cheese, but I'm not a cheese head and I would like it if one of you seasoned cheese vets could point me in the direction of some good cheese I may not know about based off my descriptions of what I like below... thanks in advance

>creamy
>spicy/heat
>sharp

As far as texture goes, all I can say is I never liked Swiss for that reason. Spicy marinated mozzarella was always a win for me. I figure that there is at least one cheese out there I haven't had that I wpuld love
>>
>>7288586
Why would you want your cheese to be spicy?
For sharp tastes, Cheddar aged at least 3 years or more is where you should. All sorts of blue cheese will do you good as well.

For creamy, camembert, gouda, brie, and even cheddar cheese would work.
>>
>>7288551
Not that I know of. American cheeses are pretty shit. They all taste rubbery. The only one I passively like would be pepper jack.
>>
>>7288594
I like spicy. . Adds another dimension. Maybe heat it is a better description. I used to be all apeshit in to Bleu cheese.. I will try camembert. Thanks. That's the only one you named I haven't heard of. Also I think I'll try some aged cheddar
>>
>>7288599
Have you heard of pepper jack? Its the only cheese I can think of that's spicy.
>>
>>7288609
I mentioned that in my original post .
>>
>>7288497
Beyond the excellent ones you have listed, here are some of my favourites off the top of my head:
>Sainte-Maure de Touraine
>Tomme de Chèvre Aydius
>Feta
>Manchego
>Comté
>Gruyère
>Halloumi
>Taleggio
>Boerenkaas
>>
Any recommendations for fondue cheese?
>>
>>7288497
>Brie
>Goat
>Muenster

Best cheeses IMO. Brie is good by itself or with apples and grapes. Muenster is a good snack food and great for sandwiches.

I once had fried goat cheese at a restaurant with honey drizzle and a sort of raspberry jam. Been trying to recreate it but I can't get the frying right.
>>
gouda a shit
>>
>>7288599
>Bleu cheese
Spotted the pleb.
>>
>>7288497
Fuckin Appenzeller cheese
Good damn delicious
>>
1. Brie
2. Haloumi
3. Mozarella
4. Pecorino
5. Pepperjack
>>
Sharp cheddar, mild cheddar, smoked cheddar, white cheddar, jalapeno cheddar, chipotle cheddar, maybe some times some colby.
>>
1. Stilton au port
2. Beemster (jong belegen)
3. Burrata di bufalo
4. Chevre
5. Camembert au lait cru
>>
Stilton
Manchego
Buf Mozz
Gorgonzola
Gruyere
>>
Aw yeah, a decent thread!
1. Feta
2. Parma reggiano
3. Gorgonzola
4. Halloumi
>>
>americucks can't get proper camembert
>>
File: Double-Gloucester-Stilton.jpg (33 KB, 300x365) Image search: [Google]
Double-Gloucester-Stilton.jpg
33 KB, 300x365
buffalo mozza
cambazola
apple wood smoked anything
cheddar.. old and ??? oldest i had was 12 - divine
stilton
roquefort
parm
limberger... i'm have some limberger out on the counter warming up for a sandwich soon
>>
>>7288510
Parmesan is almost a seasoning in the way it's used in cooking
>>
>>7290346
jesus christ you fucking americans
>>
>>7290344
Forgot to mention buffalo mozzarella but I hardly get it (poor people issues). Not a fan of mild cheese unless they have other redeeming qualities (EG the salinity of halloumi and the fetid flavour of feta)
>>
>>7290355
not american
>>
File: 1416015841230.jpg (443 KB, 2025x2662) Image search: [Google]
1416015841230.jpg
443 KB, 2025x2662
Love nutty hard cheese

1. Gruyere
2. Comte (aged 30+ months)
3. Manchego
>>
>>7290367
Even worse then
>>
>>7288532
Are you fucking retarded
>>
grilled halloumi

nothing else even compares
>>
>>7290408
y u mad?
>>
>>7290428
People with shit taste gives me a shit taste in my mouth
>>
File: shropshire blue.jpg (396 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
shropshire blue.jpg
396 KB, 1500x1500
>>
File: Snofrisk.png (70 KB, 230x306) Image search: [Google]
Snofrisk.png
70 KB, 230x306
Snofrisk hard goat's cheese. Swiss mountain style cheeses, manchego and comte. For soft, cambozola.
>>
>>7290451
i'm sure your mouth tastes like shit regardless
>>
1. Laguiole
2. Saint Marcellin
3. Morbier
4. Beaufort
>>
>>7290493
Damn site better than actually tasting samples of shit(ty cheese)
>>
These are the top 5 cheeses that I want to try.

1. Gjetost
2. Wagasi
3. Caravane
4. So
5. Leipäjuusto
>>
You can tell all the faggots here from the posts that only include cheeses that come from small villages that nobody else knows amirite? Smash that like button!
>>
Lancashire cheese is god tier
>>
It makes me laugh to see Americans post obscure cheeses with names taken from the internet, that they have never tried.

>inb4
>Muh Wisconsin micro-cheeseries.
>>
File: smoked cheddar.jpg (135 KB, 800x564) Image search: [Google]
smoked cheddar.jpg
135 KB, 800x564
What do most of you pay for these cheeses? I don't really think I'm that poor, I just find it hard to justify any more than about $10/lb for anything food related, and some of the imported shit I see is upwards of $25.
>>
>>7291387
I'm sorry.

1. American
2. American
3. American
4. American
5. Cheddar
>>
>>7291410
>the European's inferiority complex is kicked into overdrive when he sees that Americans have tried more cheeses than him while having access to all the cheeses he does and more
>>
I enjoy cheddar, gouda, and brie. I usually enjoy any cheese I try.
>>
>>7288551
Vermont makes some decent cheese
>>
In no particular order...
Parmigiano
Sharp Cheddar
Burrata
Manchego
Chevre
Gruyere
>>
Garrotxa (goat)
L'etivaz (raw cow)
Ptit basque (sheep)
Monte enebro (goat)
Chebris (mixed milk)

I'm lucky to live close to a cheese shop so I get to try something new almost every weekend. Seems I have a slight bias towards Spanish cheeses.
>>
>>7291448

Brie
Comte
Manchego
(Real, authentic) Parmesan
(Good) Cheddar

can all be had for $10 lb or less at Costco
>>
>>7288497
Really, really old cheddar. 7 years is great. 13 years is mouthgasm. I don't get why people say Wisconsin cheese is shit when their finely aged cheddar is so damn good. The benefit of living in Chicago. We get the good Wisconsin stuff.
>>
No love for Havarti in this thread. Guess I'm the only Dane here.
>>
File: Wyke-Smoked200g.png (142 KB, 410x272) Image search: [Google]
Wyke-Smoked200g.png
142 KB, 410x272
>>7291448
In England, Smoked Cheddar isn't really a thing, you have to look for it. This Cheese is Produced in Somerset but it is commercially available, to supermarkets, etc.
But just for fun here is a comparison.

3 x 200g packs = 600 grammes (1lb 5oz)
600 grammes = £12 ($17)

Obviously, it would be cheaper to buy a larger block, from a Farm shop but you get the picture.

I live 15 miles away from Cheddar btw.
>>
>>7291535
Damn... Love some havarti, herbed or plain. Good call.
>>
1. Trappista
2. Gouda
3. Feta
4. Camembert
>>
Land of Lakes
Cabot
Kraft

Tillamook is garbage
>>
>>7288497
taleggio
limburger
brie
>>
File: f.jpg (451 KB, 1388x938) Image search: [Google]
f.jpg
451 KB, 1388x938
>>7291448
>France:
>pic related, from nearest supermarket catalog
5-10€/kg for common cow stuff (unmaturated bries are on the cheaper side of that). Up to ~18€/kg for more complex or import cheeses.
>>
File: pic03.jpg (46 KB, 329x230) Image search: [Google]
pic03.jpg
46 KB, 329x230
>>7288538
I hate the ammonia flavor

you don't get that with taleggio
>>
>>7291535
No, Havarti is just very plain. It's a pretty good melting cheese, but there is nothing remarkable about it.
>>
>>7288497
>tfw you get a beautifully aged english cheddar full of crunchy cheese crystals
>>
brie
gorgonzola
port salut
philadelphia
>>
>>7288497
the fuck is with that knife the bolster makes it almost useless
>>
>people eating shit with literal rot in it

what the fuck
>>
>>7292418
I guess they only want you to cut partially through something then tear the bottom part apart with your teeth or something. No idea.
>>
>>7292418
i'm pretty sure that it was a normal chef's knife that has been resharpened a lot
>>
Can't go wrong with Cheddar. (not the shitty orange stuff though)

Also I love Colby.
>>
>>7292418
>>7292465
>>7292562

It's a boning knife. It's meant for cutting in between and against bones when breaking down meat. It's not meant for chopping on a board.
>>
>>7288586
Some European countries make varieties of local favorites such as cumin or chili Gouda. Give those a try.
>>
>>7291541
What do you mean look for it, you can get it in every supermarket, I got some in sainsburys yesterday
>>
jarlsberg, parano, parmesan
>>
>>7290723
Fuckin st marcellin is the stuff of gods
>>
>>7292746
I for one prefer eating the creamy goodness.
>>
>>7291485
I eat Vermont or Quebec cheeses in New England.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.