[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>one or two drops >swirl it around then pour it out >wave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: noilly_collection.png (548 KB, 550x593) Image search: [Google]
noilly_collection.png
548 KB, 550x593
>one or two drops
>swirl it around then pour it out
>wave the bottle over the shaker

Why did these memes start? Vermouth is really good and if it isn't in your martini, you're just drinking watery gin.
>vodka
that's not a fucking martini
>>
The martini was literally invented as a way to drink straight liquor without having to order a glass of straight liquor.
>>
>>7287802
That's funny, because early martini recipes have way more vermouth than anybody would use today.

Nobody really knows the origin of the martini, I'm ready to state outright that your chosen theory is wrong.
>>
>>7287795
>wave the bottle
yeah that shit pisses me right off. if you want gin or vodka order gin or vodka. can you imagine that with any other drink?

>hey gimme a gin and tonic, but don't take the lid off the gin just pretend to pour it and make little "blub blub" noises to simulate it being poured.
so, you just want tonic water in a glass?
>NO! I want a gin and tonic but i hate gin, asshole!
>>
>>7287804
> than anybody would use today.
Back when I was a raging boozaholic I made 1:2 or even 1:1 martinis on the regular because I'm a speshul snowflake and winston churchill was a vulgar boor

Problem?
>>
>>7287795
>Why did these memes start?
a lot of it has to do with murrikins used to shit quality stale rancid vermouth

remember in olden times, life sucked and everything tasted like shit except liquor, except even liquor too. so it made sense to get drunk as fast as possible
>>
>>7287810
No. I wasn't even arguing against your position in the first place.
>>
>>7287804

Sure, originally they were closer to 2:1, but it's definitely true that their rise in popularity was due to people asking for less and less vermouth.
>>
>>7287859
>due to people asking for less and less vermouth.
for two equally stupid reasons:
1. the churchill meme
3. people getting confused and thinking vodka is a martini ingredient
>>
>>7287806
I went to a restaurant/bar the other night, and I don't often go, so I don't know the proper ordering procedure from drinks other than "I want x".

>order a martini
>bartender reaches for a bottle of vodka
>literally have to specify a "gin martini"
>gets ready to start shaking
>start getting annoyed
>"don't martinis have vermouth in them?"
>he get's annoyed back
>"are you telling me how to do my job?"
>end up calling the other bartender over
>ask her "how do you make a martini?"

The girl was far more experienced, but I learned that I have to pretty much say "I would like a gin martini with vermouth, stirred" if I actually want either gin or vermouth in a fucking martini, because the average person now thinks they're James Bond and it's just flavored vodka shaken in ice.
>>
>>7287820
>murrikins
James Bond wasn't a "murrikin"
>>
>>7287964
Don't order a martini from a mid class place, basically.

All the bartenders at a single place should go by the same standard, though, so I don't know what was going on there.
>>
>>7288673
In theory sure, everyone would have the same training and standardized drinks, but in practice that doesn't tend to happen, at least not what I've seen.
>>
>>7288698
nigga that's nothing. i went to a steakhouse and ordered a "gin martini. beefeater." motherfucker came back with a mixture of vodka and SWEET vermouth. had to be vodka no juniper or botanical odor outside the red vomit liquid. and steakhouses are only supposed to do two things right: cow flesh and martinis.
>>
>>7287964
>"are you telling me how to do my job?"

Jesus. I'm happy to cut people slack if they're new and just don't know something, but getting snippy about being fucking incompetent? What a prick.

I got stuck covering a bar as a kid once and someone asked for a martini, which I wasn't sure how to make. Solution? I fucking asked her what she wanted.
>>
>>7288743
Beefeater pretty much tastes like vodka though, you were probably just confused
>>
>>7289202
i think its got a really notable taste. even if that's the case the sweet vermouth is the unforgivable sin. who associates sweet vermouth with a martini? It'd be like ordering a screwdriver and they give you vodka and a big heaping glass of lime juice.
>>
>>7287964
The weird thing though is the classic Bond martini has both gin and vodka. I don't know where the vodka-only martini started but I bet it was someone really sad.
>>
File: Eggsy.jpg (28 KB, 700x350) Image search: [Google]
Eggsy.jpg
28 KB, 700x350
>a martini
>gin, not vodka obviously
>stirred for ten seconds
>while glancing at an unopened bottle of vermouth

Kingsman had it right, honestly.
>>
>>7290674
I winced when I saw that. Fucking Churchill shit right there.

Also embarrassingly overexplained, but I get that it was done to parody Bond so I can let that part slide.
>>
I've been a big proponent of gin martinis ever since I did the math in college and realized that I could get a martini and essentially get two drinks for the price of one at bars. Now, I drink them at home when I have the ingredients, and I get them before every dinner at a restaurant.

At the restaurant:
I ask for "a gin martini straight up with olives". If they ask what kind of gin I want I say "Whatever the house gin is".

At home:
- put ice in gin glass to chill it
- plenty of ice into a pint glass
- 2 shots of gin
- as brief of a pour of dry vermouth as possible
- stir for 10 seconds
- toss the ice from the martini glass and pour/strain drink into glass
- two olives on a toothpick
- I eat one olive after the first 1/3 of the drink, the second olive just before the last sip
>>
Am I the only one who just uses vermouth as its own drink? I'll usually mix it with green and st johns wort teas, and then drink it as if I would drink wine. Sometimes I'll mix it into some regular wine, and then mix that with green and st johns wort teas.

Does nobody else do this?
>>
>>7290809
Yes. Of course people do this. Not sure about mixing it with tea and unspiced wine, but it's definitely drunk by itself. It last had a surge of popularity in the 70s.

I don't, though.
>>
>>7288029
beat me to it
>>
>>7290151
that sounds rather tasty
>>
>>7290151
maybe he heard "Martinez"
http://www.ginfoundry.com/cocktail/martinez-cocktail/
>>
File: 5e7.jpg (34 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
5e7.jpg
34 KB, 680x680
>>7290477
the "bond martini" is called a Zephyr, noob.
>>
>>7288029
>james bond
First of all, martinis did not come from "james bond", you ignorant child.

But also, the only reason people know about james bond is hollywood. Otherwise he would be even more obscure than mike hammer and it's obvious you retards don't know who that is either.
>>
>>7292307
Mike Hammer had a TV show in the 80s. Starring Stacey Keach. He never drank a martini.
>>
>>7291746
>zephyr
You fucking idiot.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.