[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How should I do mac and cheese? I haven't done any in years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 1
How should I do mac and cheese? I haven't done any in years and I feel like I want to it some but isn't it literally just pasta and cheese? Is there a way to make it a little bit healthier without ruining the comfort food factor?
>>
It's okay to splurge sometimes. If you want mac, make it right.
>>
>>7286344
>literally just pasta and cheese?

IT is if you pick a cheese that melts well. If not, you make a bechamel before adding the cheese.

>>little bit healthier
Define that, as everyone on this board seems to have a different opinion as to what defines "healthy".
>>
i mean if you make it with a bechamel you are actually diluting the salt and fat, so yes you are making it a bit 'healthier' i guess

i just like to use lots of cheese and some evaporated milk and starchy pasta water
>>
Everyone is going to tell you to make a bechemel, stir in some cheese, then toss it with your cooked pasta.

An easier way is to make a liason with egg yolk and heavy cream instead of a bechemel.

It's not going to be any healthier, but it is faster and easier.
>>
>>7286344

Ok this is a different style, totally not healthy

my ex used to do this and it turned out awesome

Pennsylvania dutch style mac and cheese

cook the noodles per normal or half cooked depending on desired tenderness

place in glass baking dish

add in chunks of cheese, CHUNKS not grated
of your fav cheese, sharp cheddar is great

cover in cream or whole milk

salt and pepper top of dish

bake at 350 for around 30 minutes

top should be slightly browned

enjoy the awesomeness especially if you use a little hot sauce
>>
>>7286375
>sharp cheddar is great

No, not really. It tastes good but doesn't melt very well. Why do you fools insist on specifying cheese that melts poorly for mac and cheese? It is because Americans aren't very familiar with cheese in general, and the only cheese they know by name is cheddar?
>>
>>7286392

> Why do you fools insist on specifying cheese that melts poorly for mac and cheese?

for its flavour
>>
>>7286392
it is because that is what the boxed kind of powder cheese imitates so we all grow up thinking it has to have cheddar in it
>>
>>7286344
I make vegan gluten free mac and cheese very often. Boil your mac, drain, about 1/4 cup activated almond milk + smoked paprika + pepper + nutritonal yeast. Don't be prissy with the nutritional yeast, its what gives the cheesy flavor
>>
>>7286397

There are other cheeses that taste plenty good yet melt well. Why not use those?
>>
>>7286392

>It is because americans aren't very familiar with cheese in general
>mac and cheese thread

That's why you use a bechemel or liason to make a cheese sauce instead of just trying to add melted cheese to pasta.

You can pretty much use any cheese or combination of cheeses you want. I used to do a gorgonzola mac and cheese with buffalo chicken mixed in.
>>
>>7286344
>Is there a way to make it a little bit healthier without ruining the comfort food factor?

If you really want to make it bit healthier, replace half the cheese with pureed sweet potato or butternut squash. It works, and it's tasty as fuck.
That said, splurging occasionally on a full fat meal is okay, just as long as you're not splurging all the time.
>>
>>7286356
I think macaroni and cheese with the egg in it and baked is by far the best. I'm not OP, though
>>
>cook up some macaroni pasta al dente
>strain and rinse with cold water
>put back in pot
>add cheddar
>add ricotta
>add cheddar
>add butter
>add cheddar
>add white pepper
>add cheddar
>add heavy cream
>add cheddar
>add cheddar
>stir
>cheddar
>serve
>top with cheddar
>when done wash dishes with cheddar
>dry dishes with cheddar
>take a shower in cheddar
>crush your teeth with cheddar
>go to bed and make love to your cheddar
>wake up to the cheddar twilight
>brush your teeth with cheddar again
>open your closet and put on some cheddar
>go into your job for the cheddar company
>uh-oh, it's employee health screening day
>blood drawn
>cholesterol tested
>99% cheddar
>you pass
>>
>>7286411

>There are other cheeses that taste plenty good yet melt well.

plenty good is one thing but that doesn't mean they have the same flavour properties as sharp cheddar. you manage the melting properties of your cheese however you see fit, it doesn't mean that sharp cheddar is a write off just because it's liable to break or agglomerate.
>>
>>7286415
>That's why you use a bechemel or liason to make a cheese sauce instead of just trying to add melted cheese to pasta.

Why not choose a cheese that melts well instead of fooling with all that bechamel crap?

Gorgonzloa, to use your example, melts great without the need for bechamel.
>>
>>7286344
>cook macaroni
>add cheese

That's about it anon.
>>
>>7286446

>Why not choose a cheese that melts well instead of fooling with all that bechamel crap?

because 'melts well' is not the only property you're interested in when it comes to selecting a cheese, stop being such a belligerent sophomore.
>>
>>7286455

...but it sure seems like one of the most important factors for this given dish.

Anyway, why not answer the question instead of being belligerent? There are plenty of other cheeses that taste good and melt well, so why not use one of those?
>>
>>7286446

>why not choose a cheese that melts well instead of fooling with all that bechamel crap

So that you have a sauce, and not just some random melted cheese mixed around with your pasta?
>>
When I was like 7 and first starting to cook I came up with this recipe and no this is not bait, I really did this for like 4 years.

I would cook up enough elbow macaroni to fill a 9x17 pan, strain it and mix with butter. Spread half into the pan evenly and layer with american cheese slices. Put the other half on top, layer with the cheese slices. Bake for like 30 minutes until it was brown on top, pull it out and serve. I always melted butter onto mine and sprinkled some salt.

My Mom always said it was her favorite macaroni and cheese ever. You should try it OP
>>
>>7286471

Sounds healthy enough.
>>
>>7286464

>There are plenty of other cheeses that taste good and melt well, so why not use one of those?

no reason, unless you want sharp cheddar.

don't co-opt the word i just used btw, you're the one who won't leave the guy alone for suggesting a supposedly traditional recipe because you think you know better. that's belligerence. i'm just saying you can incorporate a mature cheese into a sauce if you want to use it. and even if it doesn't melt particularly gracefully, that doesn't necessarily matter.
>>
>>7286470

The point is that if you choose a cheese that melts well then it makes a sauce on its own without the need for any extra effort.

You americans do realize there are cheeses other than "cheddar", right? And that many of them melt into a sauce on their own, without the need for any extra work, right?

No, who am I kidding. Most Amerliards don't know that, and have no idea about any cheeses other than "cheddar".
>>
>>7286481
>because you think you know better. that's belligerence

No, it's asking a question.

>> i'm just saying you can incorporate a mature cheese into a sauce if you want to use it

Sure, I get that. But I'm asking why bother, when there are other cheeses that work better with less effort?

You can answer such things as:
...but I'm not familar with those "other cheeses"
....but I don't know know to cook
...cheddar is the only cheese I know
...I prefer the taste of cheddar to X, Y, and Z

See how easy it is to answer this question?
>>
>>7286521
Are you really too autistic to understand that people put that extra effort in because they like the taste of cheddar specifically?
>>
>>7286517
>>7286521

Well if it wasn't already clear that you were just shitposting...
>>
Microwave.

Pasta + milk + butter. Microwave for about 6 minutes story add shredded cheddar cheese and microwave for another 1 - 2 minutes.
Optional; basil, oregano, garlic, parsley.
>>
>>7286521
Not the guy you're talking to but if I make just normal mac n cheese for comfort or something, I usually mix mild and sharp cheddar for it along with some eggs, dairy, salt and pepper. But if I am doing it for something else like adding in broccoli or pig or chicken or something I will use alternative cheeses because they work better at coating the other ingredients and make it more creamy. Maybe some smoked cheddar, white cheddar, chipotle cheddar.
>>
>>7286521

shut the fuck up you obstreperous little prick.

i plainly said this:

>...I prefer the taste of cheddar to X, Y, and Z

only i didn't reduce it to talking about what i 'prefer', i offered it as a possibility, which it clearly is. all the other options are just you being a cunt thinking you know better.
>>
>>7286446

Melt some Gorgonzola into some noodles and post the results.

You're either just making shit up up or are just baiting at this point.
>>
>>7286521
If you're already aware of potential answers then why ask? You've obviously got nothing to contribute to the thread so why not fuck off to /int/ if you want to shitpost about Americans?
>>
>>7286526

Yeah, it just seems odd. There are plenty of other cheeses that taste great yet don't require the extra effort of making a bechamel. It really is puzzling that people keep saying cheddar cheddar cheddar.
>>
I love it when threads about something as stupidly simple as mac and cheese go full autist. It's goddamn hilarious.
>>
>>7286545
>If you're already aware of potential answers then why ask?

Because I don't know which of those potential answers is the real one.

I've got plenty to contribute here, I just wish that someone would actually answer the question that I posted instead of shitposting. Socratic method and all that....
>>
>>7286547
Because a lot of people grew up eating cheddar on mac and cheese. Some people just like building off of what they know. Plus cheddar is fucking delicious and easy to come by.
>>
>>7286344
I add crushed almonds on the top and add some sliced peppers
>>
>>7286558

Are people really that afraid to branch out and try new things?
>>
>>7286565

no.
>>
>>7286554
The reason people want cheddar is because cheddar is what we consider mac n cheese in the US. It's what it is made with 95% of the time and it is most often made as a comfort food and not meant to be some huge glorious dish to impress people. It's a side item to things like BBQ and fried chicken, hot dogs, and any other cheap meal that Parents make for the kids growing up when they just need to throw something together quick and easy that they will eat. You can go off on tangents and make it more impressive for sure or different tasting like a lot of restaurants do to get adults to order it or make it at home, but there will always be the comfort of cheddar based macaroni and cheese in the US for the majority of the people and that is why most people want cheddar cheddar cheddar. That's the only real reason I can come up with.
>>
>>7286424
guffawed
>>
>>7286547

You literally are the only one saying "cheddar cheddar cheddar", and obviously just came to this thread to repeat over and over how Americans only know about cheddar cheese and can't cook, and are just ignoring everything posted to the contrary. You haven't even suggested a better alternative to cheddar, or how you make your mac and cheese.

Fuck off already.
>>
>>7286568

you're trying too hard to humble yourself about it, cheddar suits the dish from a flavour standpoint, you don't need to make any other argument. making a 'mac and cheese' with fucking gorgonzola would not be particularly nice, a cheddar cheese sauce is.
>>
>>7286565
No, but not every dish has to be some divine creation. Mac and cheese is comfort food to a lot of people, so it makes sense that people will most commonly make it in a way that they're used to seeing it. I love mac and cheese and have tried a good chunk of different recipies, but I fall back on cheddar a lot because it's how I used to eat it growing up so it's more comfortable.
>>
>>7286577
>, and are just ignoring everything posted to the contrary

Not really. I have asked plenty of questions but recived retatively few replies.

>>You haven't even suggested a better alternative
It's a cooking board. I assume people here know about gruyere, fontina, gouda, etc. Surely people on a cooking board know which cheeses melt well and which do not?
>>
>>7286585

>44 replies
>15 posters

Dude, are you just responding to every single post to get attention or something? Are you OP?
>>
>>7286585
>with fucking gorgonzola would not be particularly nice

Actually, it is. It's fucking delicious. Ramsay has a recipe posted using blue cheese; ever try it? Or are you afraid of that icky mold like a 6 year old?
>>
>>7286596

you might not have read my post cause i'm not the guy spamming the anti cheddar bullshit, i'm saying cheddar is fine.

>>7286600

i have tried and enjoyed blue cheeses in pasta but it's not particularly appropriate for mac and cheese, which has a homogenous quite liquid consistency.
>>
>>7286608

You're just replying to yourself at this point.
>>
I like orange cheese and I can not lie!!!

Oh my god
Becky, look at her cheese
It's so ORANGE!!
She looks like one of those cheddar guys girlfriends
Who understands those cheddar guys
They only talk to her because she looks like a Wisconsin fan
I mean her cheese
It's just so cheesy and orange
I can't believe it's so CHEESY!!!
It's just out there
I mean, it's so appetizing
Look, she's just so orange and cheesy

I like cheddar cheese and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
>>
>>7286344
Reminder that elbow macaroni is pleb tier.
>>
>>7286615
This thread is a perfect example of what's wrong with this board.

>OP asks question about food
>Thread gets derailed because of elitist shitposting, most likely from crossboarders who can't even cook since they don't ever actually have anything of value to say
>Very few actual responses to the OP
>>
https://youtu.be/Kkhvy9rQHaQ
>>
>>7286648

>elitist shitposting

People who know how to cook telling you how to make a dish you've probably only ever had out of a box does not constitute, "elitist shitposting".
>>
>>7286658

maybe not, but that sentence certainly does
>>
>>7286517
Why is everything a pissing contest with you yuros? Are you that insecure?
>>
>>7286464
Why are you so against bechemel sauce? It's literally butter and flour. It keeps us from being limited to just "cheese that melts good." I've made a cheddar cheese sauce for Mac and cheese before, and it was a little grainy. But I didn't give a fuck, because it tasted great. You're just a picky eater that can't stand textures he doesn't like.
>>
>>7286521
The answer of flavor has been given but you can't accept it. You're being intentionally obtuse. It's a little embarrassing for you because we can all see what you're doing.
>>
>>7286547
Odd to you. No one cares what you think.
>>
>>7286565
No. Other cheeses have been suggested. Did you read the thread?
>>
>>7286672
Everything outside of fatmerica =/= Europe.
>>
>>7286446
gorgonzola has a strong earthy flavor.. people want smooth and creamy mac, not foot flavored noodles
>>
>>7286521
Are you the same asshole that's been shitposting in the Tim Hortons thread for the past 3 days?
>>
>>7286685

Australia are bigger shitposters, but anit-murrica garbage is most often made by yuros.
>>
>>7286685
Do you think that helps your case? If you're not even European you matter even less. I suppose that's why you're so insecure. Inb4 LEL DAT WAS NOT MEE
>>
>>7286676
>and it was a little grainy
Might be because your roux wasn't cooked long enough.

>>7286658
Just kill yourself already. Crying about other people liking cheddar cheese isn't telling anybody how to make shit.
>>
What meat goes best with mac and cheese?
>>
>>7286695
I like bacon but whatever you're in the mood for should work. Chicken is a nice option.
>>
>>7286695
Bacon and cheddar or maybe some scallops. With other cheeses, chicken can be good or even some steak if you want to make a fajita style mac n cheese. The options are unlimited, really
>>
>>7286695
Personally a fan of adding tuna and broccoli here.
>>
>>7286695

Lobster, cooked in butter and deglazed with Madeira. Use a blend of cheddar and smoked gouda.
>>
>>7286344
Eat a sensible amount of it or have less of something else that day.

>needing to explain this to grown adults
>>
>>7286695
I have used leftover steak (a lower-quality cut, so relax) cut into tiny cubes, and it was great.

Only other things I added were green onions and a small handful of diced tomatoes.
>>
>>7286714
This.

Use it as a side or something. You don't have to eat the entire pot of cheese noodles in one go, especially if you're concerned about the nutritional content or lack thereof.

If you really want to sit down to a meal of macaroni and cheese in a big bowl but feel guilty about eating a salad bowl full of noodles and cheese, add some other shit to it. Tomatoes, onions, spinach, chicken, turkey, beef, pork, even shit like pineapple and spices if you want to experiment. Mac and cheese is a blank slate, it's practically a casserole waiting to happen.
>>
>>7286720
Leftover grilled meats mixed into mac and cheese are awesome.

Sometimes I like to slice up and brown some hot italian sausages and mix that into mac and cheese along with some sauteed onion, bell pepper and mushrooms too.
>>
>>7286471
Mine is the only cheese your mom likes on her macaroni.
>>
>>7286731
Exactly.
When I make mac and cheese, I don't serve it as the main meal exclusively. I usually make some kind of roasted or grilled meat (usually chicken, idk why), and a salad. So, we're not just gorging on mac and cheese. And, I make a side-dish sized amount, not giant mountain of it.
But like the other anon said, you can add meat and vegetable to it and basically turn it into a casserole, and add more nutrient value to it very easily.
>>
Well this thread is autistic as fuck.
>>
>>7286736
Well she has been dead for 5 years so that is pretty gross if that type of thing gets you off. Technically, she was cremated and her ashes spread in her garden, so essentially what you are saying is you jack off on plants and flowers. That just doesn't sound very cool to me. I prefer human women. Whatever floats your clam, though.
>>
>>7286750
You know it. See >>7286553
>>
>Mac and cheese

thinking this shit food can be made better any way.

it's just overcooked pasta with a sauce consisting of american cheese and milk.

Why would anyone who is not a 5 year old girl consume this disgusting concoction?
>>
>>7286344
Add a can of tuna and some peas
>>
>>7286693
>Inb4 LEL DAT WAS NOT MEE

It wasn't, and you pretending otherwise won't change that.
>>
>>7286694
I've been using different recipes with different bases, but I'll definitely brown the roux a little more next time I make it. Not like it's difficult.
>>
Boil pasta until al dental, drain, mix in 3 tablespoons butter, pour the cheese packet into it and 1/2 cup milk, stir until it is all mixed. Best ever.
>>
>>7286695
I personally enjoy chicken, ham, and ground beef with Mac and cheese. Lobster is okay, too.
>>
>>7286758
This is the most autistic insult I've ever seen. Did you ever graduate from elementary school?
>>
>>7286344
Crumble a layer of crackers on top and broil another layer of cheese on top the crackers.

>????
>PROFIT/10
>>
>>7287057
It wasn't an insult it is the truth? dumbass
>>
>>7286926
In after LEL DAT WAS NOT MEE

That isn't an argument retard. You agreed with the sentiment the other poster had and jumped in like an idiot.
>>
>>7286344
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/the-food-labs-ultra-gooey-stovetop-mac-cheese.html

or alternatively

make bechemel, add any cheese you want, fold pasta into cheese sauce, cover in panko breading and grated hard cheese, keep in oven until the top is brown, and serve. make sure the pasta is slightly under al dente before you fold it in, because the hot cheese sauce and the baking will cook it further and it'll end up overcooked.
>>
This is wholly and completely unhealthy, but so fucking decadent that I see no reason to change it. I just make sure to eat it on the days that I can afford to feel fat af.
Recipe is:
Cook ya pasta. I drain the water completely because....
Melt ya butter in a saucepan. I do 2 tbs if it's just me and can go up to a whole stick if I'm cooking for others. Once butter is melted add heavy whipping cream and chicken stock/broth. I have no measurements. I just get it to a decently creamy consistency because adding cheese is going to thicken it considerably
When the mixture is bubbly, add muh cheese. I'm lazy, so I use shredded colby jack, slices of american cheese and maybe a few tbs of cream cheese. Salt, pepper, paprika.
Mix, and die happy.
>>
>>7287162
You are confused, faggot. You are replying to me now and I have 3 posts ITT:

>>7286685
>>7286926

And this one now.
>>
>>7286344

Well some recipes have leek in it and/or sliced tomatoes on top but that's as healthy as you're likely to get unless you want to stick peas in it or w/e.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.