[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go to the supermarket >veal sizzle steak is at $20/kg
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 0
>go to the supermarket
>veal sizzle steak is at $20/kg
>same brand is selling ordinary beef sizzle steak at $30/kg
>no mention of organic or whatever

Weird, isn't veal supposed to be more expensive compared to ordinary beef?
>>
>>7285966
Isn't most, if not all, veal just a by-product of the dairy industry, also less money spent on raising it until adulthood, so really there's no real reason it would be more expensive, especially if from the same place, it's not really a status symbol anymore so it's not as expensive anymore
>>
>>7285984
veal is usually sold at higher prices as its more tender though
>>
>>7286010
There's relatively less demand for it though thanks to muh tortured baby cows
>>
>>7285966
wtf is a sizzle steak?
>>
>>7286016
steak cut into thin slices for sizzling
>>
>>7286010
What I mean is there's less demand because the weird idea that veal is cruel by people who eat beef and dairy. Now from what I've seen it's usually cheaper in supermarkets and still expensive in restaurants (where it's rarely served)
>>
>>7286043
weird, i've never met anyone who thought that veal was cruel. Beef is from the same cows that grew to an older age.
>>
>>7286106
>Beef is from the same cows

Not really. Nobody restricts the movement of beef cattle. Veal cattle? not the same thing.
>>
>>7286126
why would they restrict the movement of veal cattle?
>>
>>7286534

Seriously bro? That's the fucking norm for veal. Restricting movement reduces the development of muscle which maintains that light color & milder flavor. It's typical for veal cattle to be raised in "crates" or otherwise have their movement restricted.
>>
It's kind of this weird dichotomy where veal is cruel but lamb is not.
So demand for veal goes down.
But unlike lamb, who are bred for meat production (okay, some are jut biproducts of the wool industry, but most aren't) you can't really lower veal supply because they're an inherent result of milk production.

So it's pretty cool. Veal prices continue to go down because nobody's buying it.
>>
>>7286544
>>7286544
hy not just raise veal without restricting movement? people dont restrict movement of adult cows.
>>
>>7286618

Because that would defeat the whole point of veal, which is its very mild flavor. If you didn't restrict it's movement you would simply have beef, which is a different thing altogether.
>>
>>7286652
i thought veal was based on age not movement
>>
>>7286712
It is based on age but veal producers restrict movement of the calves in order to make the meat more tender, which is the point of veal really.

If they let the calves run around and develop their muscles you'd end up with tough veal at which point you may as well just eat mature beef instead.
>>
>>7286712
You thought wrong you ignorant little fuck.
>>
>>7286756
wouldn't younger cows have more tender muscles anywa?
>>
>>7286036
and you pay this much >>7285966 for mutilated meat?
>>
>>7288571
all meat is mutilated because it had to have been cut from the animal.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.