[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Kitchen tools only morons use pic related there is NO reason
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10
ITT: Kitchen tools only morons use

pic related
there is NO reason why you should have a garlic press in your kitchen
>>
File: wolf_range02091.jpg (158 KB, 525x346) Image search: [Google]
wolf_range02091.jpg
158 KB, 525x346
pic related
there is NO reason why you shouldn't cook everything over a campfire
>>
why?
>>
>>7285505
Great job, faggot.
>>
>>7285528
Are you screwing my wife?
>>
File: 1447170520356.png (7 KB, 371x440) Image search: [Google]
1447170520356.png
7 KB, 371x440
>>7285528
>>
>>7285521
>campfire
lol. only plebs use anything other than the surface of the sun.
>>
>>7285505
My grandmother bought me an egg boiler once and I have used it probably as much as I've used a colander in my kitchen. It's extremely helpful for me however I will attest that I am the only moron I know who can't boil an egg.
>>
>>7285505
very poor tool there OP. you get what you pay for - and depending on dish and/or portions a good garlic press is very usefull.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
>>7285605
my favorites.
>>
>>7285590
You boil the water, not the egg. The egg just goes into the boiling water. I don't even know what temperature "egg" would boil at. I know water is 212 degrees F. Liquid Nitrogen boils at -320 F. But an egg..no idea. Can an egg even boil before it gets turned into a solid?
>>
>>7285505
My mom uses this and I don't get it. Just slice the damn garlic ffs
>>
>>7285614
Like, to make the egg hardboiled....

I told you I was a moron.
>>
>>7285622
You aren't a moron. I was just fucking with you.
>>
>>7285622
you are not a moron. just drop it in cooking water, put lid on pan, switch off and let it sit untill cold if hardboiled is what you want.
>>
Put the eggs in a pan, cover with the water until it's just a little ways above the eggs. Place the entirety on the stove top and bring to a boil. Put some kind of cover on it and let it sit 10-15 minutes then drain and put them in ice water to cool down and stop the cooking. Some people like to add a tiny bit of vinegar and some don't. I think it's to help the egg from not leaking or something, I don't really know.
>>
>>7285643
By this I meant once it comes to a boil, take it off the heat and cover it. Don't leave it on the heat boiling with a lid.
>>
>>7285643
I, too, enjoy posting methods to cook the worst hardboiled eggs.
>>
>>7285505
What the fuck is wrong with using a garlic press? No shit you can crush, slice, or chop garlic with a knife. The point is the press makes the job easier and faster.

Maybe if you make a living in the kitchen then you can prepare garlic with a knife nearly as fast as I can with a press.

Maybe you are a fat and lonely line cook, and you don't care that your fingers stink of garlic for the next 2 days from holding the garlic as you chop it with a knife. Most women are disgusted by that smell when it isn't coming directly from a dish.

>just wear gloves when you chop garlic
>develop better knife skills
OR I COULD JUST USE A $2 GARLIC PRESS YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE
>>
>>7285647
I must have missed your incredibly awesome kickass fucking stupid shit nigger way of doing it because I didn't see it here in the thread
>>
Just buy jarred garlic.

it's 3 dollars and last you about 2 months.

>muh knife skills
>muh cost effectiveness
>muh freshness
>muh rustic cooking
>>
File: ForemanGrill.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
ForemanGrill.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>7285505
>Kitchen tools only morons use
microwave
slow cooker
toaster oven
bread machine
santoku
George Foreman grill
electric can opener
>>
>>7285681

>santoku

nigger what
>>
>>7285667
I tried that stuff once and it was kind of gross compared to the fresh stuff. Also, I spilled some of the juice in the fridge and now I can't look at one of those jars without gagging.
>>
>>7285667
well that just about rounds it up. waste money on everything else than your body consists of.
>>
>>7285682
It's a stupid fucking knife, and there is no reason to choose it over a chef's knife unless you're a Japanese housewife with tiny hands.
>>
>>7285681

>microwave

I get being an idiot and using it for everything, but it's not completely useless. Not everyone's a five star chef.
>>
>>7285681
I see nothing wrong with slow cookers or toaster ovens.

If you want to slow cook something all day while you are at work, leaving the oven on all day is inefficient unless you don't pay for whatever utility your oven runs on. Further, a good dutch oven that you could use in the oven is going to cost as much as a decent slow cooker. Slow cookers have a lot of utility, as long as you aren't like most people and buy it and then forget to ever use it.

Toaster ovens are extremely useful if you are usually cooking for just one or two people.
>>
>>7285701
I agree. Microwaves are useful for normal people cooking just for themselves. It is a good way to thaw vegetables quickly.
>>
File: rice.jpg (124 KB, 1423x1145) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
124 KB, 1423x1145
>>7285505
that is true but this is even worse
>>
>>7285701
Even 5 star chefs use microwaves.

A microwave has it's place in any kitchen, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded and has their fedora on too tightly.
>>
>>7285709
>not wanting to get perfect rice with no effort
based retard
>>
>>7285725
you get perfect rice with no effort with a basic sauce pan or whatever they are called.
>>
>>7285726
Somehow to managed to conflate "No effort" with "Effort". Well done.
>>
>>7285681

>George Foreman grill
fuck u senpai, makes perfect chicken
>>
>>7285627
Seems like a long time for the eggs to sit in high temperature water t b h. Don't they turn out dry and very rubbery this way?
>>
>>7285622
> Put pan of water on a hot stove
> Wait til it bubbles
> Put in egg(s)
> Take it out after 5 min for soft or 8 minutes for hardboiled

There you fucking have it
>>
>>7285731
oh no, didn't mix those up.
i did forget to mention that you can't be a retard to make that work though.
>>
>>7285709
I agree, that thing's ugly as fuck. But it's really your only option if you want perfectly cooked rice every time.
>>
>>7285702
>nothing wrong with slow cookers
nothing good comes out of them
>>
>>7285681
Microwaves and toasters have their place unless you're poor. And even then toasting in the grill uses far more energy than a toaster.
>>
>>7285745
Whether you fuck it up or not is irrelevant, it IS effort. That's a fact, and if you deny it you're a retard.
>>
>>7285740
if you drop them in boiling water they crack and leak. Try it right now and prove me wrong
>>
>>7285749
Only if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>7285755
it's effort in the same way as putting on a rice cooker is effort so either neither is effort or both. you can feel free to choose from those
>>
>>7285762
You need to be in the same room as the rice if you're doing it in the pan, you don't even need to be in the same country if you're doing it in a rice cooker.
>>
>>7285731
Jesus Christ if putting rice and water in a pan and taking it off before it burns is hard how do you manage anything moderately complex?
>>
>>7285784
>>7285731
>>
>>7285725
Rice cooker.
>put rice and water together
>turn heat on
>eat when done
Rice in a pot.
>put rice and water together
>turn heat on
>eat when done

No difference.
>>
>>7285757
I said "put" not "drop" them in the pan. If placing an egg in a pan is really beyond your dexterity lower it in with a ladle, but that wont solve your problem of being a defeatist little bitch.
>>
>>7285794
There is one big difference: if you're doing something like wok cooking having the rice finish cooking without any attention required leaves you to focus entirely on moving things quickly in a hot wok. Yeah, it's something of a luxury, but it's pretty useful if you cook that way. Also, if you only have a four burner stove and you're cooking several dishes you don't want to tie up a burner on rice.
>>
>>7285787
>Paying for a machine that takes up space and cooks something that is already easy to cook >Using a pan and avoiding the malaise of automation

Someone has a case of consumptivitis
>>
>>7285757
Maybe this has something to do with you being an American who keeps eggs in the fridge?
>2016
>keeping fresh eggs in the fridge
LOL
>>
>>7285505
I only have one hand and a garlic press is super useful for me, what's wrong with them?

Also this was hard to type with one hand.
>>
Of course there are reasons to have a garlic press in your kitchen. Just because you disagree with the reasons doesn't mean they don't exist.
I disagree with them, too, but they're still there.
>>
>>7285505
I just saw a video of gordon ramsay using a garlic press. Let me see if I can find it again.
>>
>>7285851
https://youtu.be/B68Fw7PUmFw?t=40

I linked to the correct time I think, about 40 seconds in.
>>
>>7285657
gives a different flavour profile when you press it
>>
>>7285657
>makes the job easier and faster
Only if you don't factor in cleaning the fucking thing. Having to use your finger to pick and scrape out the garlic that didn't make it through, plus hand washing that stupid thing. If you had just used a knife it would have taken maybe 10 whole seconds more for the correct consistency, and you can rinse off the knife and use it to cut other ingredients.
>>
>>7285681
agree with everything except electric can opener
>>
>>7285855
I noticed there was a cut in the video when he used it, that is probably because they never fucking work properly and usually leave most of the garlic stuck in the press.

I am 97% sure this was only shown for stylistic purposes.
>>
>>7285862
you didn't invest and bought a shit tier tool. buy a good one made of stainless steel, the material is thinber where the holes are and a quick swill under running water is enough before putting it in the dishwasher. like toilet paper - buy shit tier rolls - don't rant about a bleeding arse.
>>
>>7285696
not >>7285682 guy but, I have tiny hands senpai
>>
>>7285862
Cleaning a garlic press isn't anywhere near as arduous as you're making it out to be. Rinse it under hot water, use a scrub brush to quickly clean the holes, soap, more hot water, done.

Stop making shit needlessly complicated in order to support your weak argument.
>>
>>7285883
It's three times as more difficult as cleaning a knife you're probably going to use over and over.
Remember the point about "fingers smelling from holding garlic" ? What about picking the crushed garlic that didn't make it out from the inside?

>just use your sponge
I'm not having my sponge rubbing raw garlic. If you want to cook with garlic, it's better on your fingers than on your cleaning utensils. Don't eat it if you can't fucking weigh the consequences. God damn, YOU ALREADY had the garlic out, hit it with a knife to remove the casing, why get the crusher out when you JUST used a knife to cut off the end bit and all that.

sensless
>>
>>7285866
I'll give the electric can opener a pass if you're an invalid or senior citizen.
>>
>>7285590
>take pot of cold water and eggs
>place on burner on high
>when it hits a boil, turn off heat
>cover and let sit for 10 minutes
>drain, shell, consume

Seriously, this is like food 101
>>
>>7285657
Stainless steel and running water makes the smell go away.

Seriously, just wash your hands while rubbing a pair of tongs or something.
>>
>>7285681
Fuck you, my George Foreman grill got me laid once
>>
>>7285974
damn, I was too late.
>>
>>7285808
>if you only have a four burner stove
W-wat? I have not met one person rich enough to have something more than 4 burners
>>
>>7285505
There is a time and place for pressing garlic, but in all fairness, my mom has that exact same garlic press, and it's a piece of shit.
>>
>>7285974
Kinda hard to rub tongs under your nails.
This PROTIP doesn't actually work.
>>
>>7285521
more like sous vide.
>>
>>7285528
Topkek anon
>>
>>7286123
Try having shorter nails you disgusting manchild.
>>
>>7285811
probably so. Because the temperature difference is what cracks them and why most people start them in cold or room temperature water and not straight into boiling
>>
File: potatogun.jpg (230 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
potatogun.jpg
230 KB, 1200x1200
300 shots from one potato, my ass
>>
>>7285505
frenchfag here its common here
fuck amekou obese piece of shit
diabetes fatfuktard
>>
File: caprice-pizza_1cr[1].jpg (237 KB, 2592x3872) Image search: [Google]
caprice-pizza_1cr[1].jpg
237 KB, 2592x3872
>>7285667
>tfw you buy costco garlic
>>
>>7286539
What is wrong with you?
>>
I love how every single garlic press is basically just a garlic juicer with low pulp.
>>
it's useful for making kief pucks if you don't have a hash press
>>
>>7285810
>tfw I just mix rice and water and have consistently cooked rice that stays warm for hours on end after the press of a single button
>>
>>7285505
I use a microplane when I need smooth garlic, easier to clean than a press too
>>
File: qm.jpg (58 KB, 525x525) Image search: [Google]
qm.jpg
58 KB, 525x525
I hate kitchen tools more than anything, which is why I'm emberassed to say that I love the fuck out of a Quesadilla Maker I for christmas.
>>
>>7285811
nice meme, in america eggs are processed in a cheaper fashion so they need to be refrigerated
>Europe inject chickens with antibiotics to prevent spread of disease
>America disinfect the egg directly
but no Americans are just stupid
>>
>>7285810
>implying my rice cooker doesn't also work as a crockpot and steamer
It probably has a setting to fuck your mom, too.
>>
>>7287044
they're processed in a different fashion.

in America they clean the eggs more thoroughly, which results in the outer layer being removed, which allows much more movement between the inside and the outside, which is why it needs to be refridgerated

In Europe they don't process the eggs as much and as such the natural seal the egg allows keeps it from going bad as long as its at a reasonable temperature.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/11/336330502/why-the-u-s-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt
>>
>>7287069
I think I use my rice cooker more often than my oven. This week I:
>made rice
>made chili
>steamed eggs
>cooked gnocci
>steamed brocolli

the gnocci was an experiment but I think i'm going to do pasta in the rice cooker from now on as electricity is cheaper and it's more non-stick than the pot I normally use.
>>
>>7285701
yeah.. i didn't have one for a long time and don't use mine often but i love that it's around
>>
>>7285709
My wife's son loves the rice cooker I bought him for his 27th birthday (he still lives with us). Zoshiruja or some kind of jap thing, he's really obsessed with Japanese cartoons... Wish he'd get a girlfriend though.
>>
>>7287103
Did it fuck your mom? I really want to know.
>>
>>7285643
Wow. You're way overcooking your eggs.

Simple way to boil them:
1) Bring water to boil. Doesn't matter how much, as long as it covers the eggs.
2) While water is warming, prep a bowl of ice water big enough for all eggs being boiled
3) Once water is boiling, add the eggs and let cook for the following times:
A) Soft boiled = 6min
B) Medium boiled = 7 min
C) Hard boiled = 8 min
4) Remove eggs with a spoon and drop into ice bath for several minutes.
5) Peel eggs
6) Done
>>
File: joseph-joseph-garlic-rocker.jpg (38 KB, 460x400) Image search: [Google]
joseph-joseph-garlic-rocker.jpg
38 KB, 460x400
>>7285505
Why not use this?
>>
>>7287239
different person, sorry. the function is to fuck >>7285810 's mom only
>>
>Not cutting the garlic so thin it liquifies in the pan.

Shiggy Diggy Doo
>>
>>7287397

imblying that isn't just movie magic
>>
>>7286369

>harmless

Yeah fuck that.
>>
>>7285877

What if you don't have a dishwasher?
>>
>ctrl+F
>no waffle maker
>>
>>7285953
>an invalid

What's up french bro
>>
>>7287988
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>7285505
I got one for 50 cents. I'll take a unitasker at that price.
>>
>>7285505
So this thing turns garlic cloves into kidney stones?
>>
>>7286982
I killed one of those with my ex. We made the dankest quaysadilluz
>>
>literally watched Gordon Ramsay using one

imma go with him over some sperglords on a Manchurian candidate website
>>
>>7285834
maybe you should stop jerking off while cooking
>>
>>7285505
Calm down, Alton Brown.
>>
You need salt to properly puree garlic without a press. Some people don't like additional salt in their diet, due to illness or just personal preference. I myself just finely chop the garlic, but I can understand why people would own one of these.
>>
>>7285612
The wine opener with a hinged wedge is harder to use than one with a solid piece.
>>
>>7285681
>Toaster ovens
>not 10/10 must have in any kitchen
Spotted the piece of fucking filth pleb.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.