[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coffee General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
What's your morning coffee like?
Black? Sugar? French Press? Moka Pot? Espresso Machine?
>>
I just drink instant coffee, no need for any kind of meme press.
>>
>>7285065
Mr room mate drinks instant coffee with a spoon of nesquik. I fucking hate that kid
>>
French press, beans ground with my burr grinder, with a tiny splash of milk. I don't have any sort of consistent routine so I'm having trouble nailing down the best method, or doing any troubleshooting
>>
Con panna with 3 pump vanilla in the shot of espresso is my go too.
>>
Locally roasted beans ground with a hand burr grinder the moment before brewing.
Kettle set to 200F.
French press let grounds brew for 4 minutes.
Pour into hand painted locally glazed and fired ceramic mug, preheated.
Clean up.
Enjoy.
>>
Black from a french press. Usually beans from some small place that I've found while traveling for my work.

Just got a 1 liter steel press with double walls for insulation. Should be a nice upgrade from the rinky-dink glass one I've been using that brews two "cups" at a time.
>>
>>7285761

Same, I buy locally roasted beans though.
>>
is there anyone on this board that drinks something other than instant or press?
>>
>>7285064
I can't taste coffee in the morning for some reason

But nespresso with 4 oz of milk and a spoon full of cream. Fuck water
>>
>>7285923
Yea, nigger, I use the Turkish approach for my coffee.

Grind the beans into a powder.
Put 3 espresso cups of water in a stainless steel cup with 3 TBS of powdery ass coffee and 2 tsps of sugar and stir.
Heat that shit over a stove element until it starts to form a foamy head, and then dump that shit in a cup and let it rest for a minute for the grounds to settle.

It has the body of an espresso, but not quite as strong.
>>
>>7285708
Congrats on being the most pretentious CUNT in /ck/ you Child-Molesting Neckbearded cum ingesting TYRANT
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 400x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 400x402
>>7285065
>instant coffee
>>
>>7285064
I drink Folgers gourmet supreme with tablespoon of creamer and a tablespoon of sugar out of a two cup travel mug that hasn't been washed in months.
>>
>>7285064
french press
i now wake up 20 minutes earlier than I used to in order to make coffee and wash my grinder after use
>>
>>7285973
>Tumblr the post
Triggered m'lad?
>>
>>7285708
And then an ice cold PBR tall boy while riding my fixed wheel bicycle to the fedora store.
>>
>>7286215
>washing your grinder after every use

how autistic. that really isn't necessary.
>>
>>7286270
I don't drink alcohol. I don't like putting poison into my body.
>>
>>7286296
Not that guy, how often should you? And do you use soap?
>>
File: reptilian.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
reptilian.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
What most people call a "great coffee" on this board would be considered average AT BEST around my parts.

Why don't you just go ahead and come clean about having a shit palate .
>>
>>7286296
I bet you don't even wash your coffee maker after every use.

Anyway, i wash the removable chamber in my grinder because otherwise it attracts ants.
>>
>>7286306
I almost never wash the grinder. In fact I don't really wash the French press either, just a good rinse with hot water, same with the mug as well.
>>
>>7286306
whenever i get a new bag of coffee, so every 3-4 weeks. i just take it apart and submerge it in hot soapy water for a few hours.
>>
French Press in the winter.

Moka pot espresso with a teaspoon of sugar, ice cubes and a dash of milk in summer.
>>
File: 81Zz3bQpIfL._SY355_.jpg (19 KB, 186x355) Image search: [Google]
81Zz3bQpIfL._SY355_.jpg
19 KB, 186x355
Had Turkish coffee for the first time last week. It was amazing.

But my go-to is pic related. Best tasting instant coffee you'll ever have, and only 10 cents a cup.
>>
Any UK lads been to flat caps coffee?
>>
3 espressos in a single bowl from a Delonghi machine every morning.
No sugar, no milk.
Final destination.

I'm also looking at Moka machines for traveling purpose, any brand I should avoid ?
>>
What's the best instant coffee?
Pic related.
>>
File: 1445928517285.gif (1 MB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1445928517285.gif
1 MB, 650x650
I have a grinder that I grind fresh beans with and make it in a french press. I used to drink it with milk but since I started doing a juice fast I've appreciated the taste of black coffee a lot more and I don't think I'm going to go back.
>>
File: tassimo.jpg (56 KB, 580x695) Image search: [Google]
tassimo.jpg
56 KB, 580x695
>>
Long black (americano on the OP's image) all day erry day.
>>
Decaffeinated, cappuccino.

I used to drink normal coffee (aka real coffee) but due to age and a genetic heart condition it makes me feel like shit if I drink any caffeine. Really miss my coffee
>>
In the summer, I make aeropress coffee about a quart at a time, then chill it. Take some with some milk and a touch of sugar in the mornings.

In the winter I either drink tea (Irish Breakfast) or espresso with a spot of foamed milk.

I'm thinking of getting into roasting my own beans.
>>
>>7285065
Why bother drinking it? Just shovel a spoon of it into your mouth.
>>
Plain old coffee from a drip machine with milk and regrets.
>>
>>7285086
>roommate just dumps coffee grinds in boiling water and drinks it
Do I kill him and put him out of his misery?
>>
Espresso

>>7285972
>stainless steel cup
baka
>>
flat white masterrace
>>
>>7288930
Flat white is my go to cafe coffee, can never nail it at home without the proper milk steamer
>>
Somone tell me what to get at Starbucks
>>
Chock full o nuts 2-3 tsp sugar splash of cream if i have it.
>>
>>7289067
Directions to a shop with good coffee
>>
Depending on the time.
instant
muh fresh ground french press
muh coarse ground cold brew

but always black.
>>
>>7285064
Folgers classic blend. From a drip brewer. Black.
>>
Black, french press.

Nothing fussy.
>>
>>7286215
I just grind in large quantities that last several days, and put it in a vacuum sealed container.

And I only clean the grinder between bags.
>>
File: whispers_216.jpg (73 KB, 705x530) Image search: [Google]
whispers_216.jpg
73 KB, 705x530
>>7285064

Coffee...double black double sweet.
>>
File: 311.png (12 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
311.png
12 KB, 560x407
I lazily make pour-over brew. I don't rinse the filter with boiled water, nor do I preheat my mug.
I don't buy beans because the burr grinder I got for christmas is loud, low capacity and slow.

I also got a electric moka pot for christmas, but I am fucking unable to make a decent cup of coffee in that thing.
I had a stovetop moka pot for years and I always managed to make really nice, robust and full bodied coffee in that thing, even though it was starting to get a bit leaky so the pressure wasn't as good anymore.

I mostly just eye the grounds and dump them into the funnel, and I pour the boiled water pretty quickly over.
If I'm feel like it, I do it slightly slower and let the coffee blossom a bit and infuse over a longer time.

It always turns out great, unless I fuck up the amount of grounds I put in the funnel.
>>
french press

i prefer a light to medium roast but also like to change it up.. west africa and hawaii make my fave beans

i try to buy single source, organic and fair trade.. i've noticed objective differences in quality compared to often more expensive blends

i'm still using an electric blade grinder so the finished product is inconsistent but not bad.. i pulse it and try to leave the beans on the side of too coarse which is probably wastefull but i don't like having lots of sludge in my cup

i'm waiting for it to die before i buy a burr.. it seems to be pretty well made though, i've had it for YEARS.. any other uses for it so i can justify getting a new one?
>>
>>7285064
1/3 coffee
2/3 skimmed milk
>>
I currently live in Brazil, so I have access to a lot of high quality cheap coffee.
I usually drink either coffee from the Mogiana region in Minas Gerais or Jacu Coffee (akin to Kopi Lowak, but the beans don't get digested, so it's even higher quality).

I have a 21 bar espresso maker at home, so I usually drink a double shot at morning.
Depending on my mood I'll make a cappucino, macchiato, latte or café con hielo too. It's great starting those insanely hot summer mornings with a good iced coffee.
>>
Black coffee with a dash of soymilk because milk allergy.
Hate the fact that I can't order from coffee shops without risking cross contamination with milk somehow though.
>>
>>7289866
Can you eat cheese?
>>
>>7289881
The milk allergy is an odd one. If it's cooked (so baked goods, cheese, chocolate, caramel, etc.) I can eat it but things like straight milk, ice cream and yogurt will set off a reaction.
>>
>>7289883
If you can eat cheese, shouldn't you be able to boil some milk and then drink that?
>>
>>7289883
i'm like that with eggs.. it's annoying because people think it's fake but if i eat egg prepared a certain way i will literally puke and shit myself for 4 or more hours, crying in the fetal position, waiting to die

it's fun
>>
>>7289889
Never have tried desu. The time I've accidentally drunk milk (then spit it out after looking in the cup as a kid), I didn't care for it so in my book, it's not much of a loss.
>>7289891
Ouch anon. Ditto on the egg allergy but then again the reaction is so mild that I'll eat them once in a while with hot sauce. Pretty bland otherwise though.
>>
piss
>>
Why does my coffee taste kind of bitter? Do i need creamer or something?

I'm new at the whole coffee thing
>>
File: 1444513986046.jpg (56 KB, 600x810) Image search: [Google]
1444513986046.jpg
56 KB, 600x810
Espresso, from beans that I've roasted myself 4-14 days prior. I use a mix of 70% arabica and 30% robusta, roasted fairly dark just to second crack. 13.5 g coffee, 40.0 g in the cup, 27 seconds.
>>
>>7290000
maybe you're burning the grounds
my coffee stopped tasting bitter when I started brewing at lower temps
>>
>>7285064
black americano, roommate bent the filter on my french press, so thats out of the picture for now.

When you guys get coffee somewhere, is it sour? It seems like the 2 "good" roasters/coffeeshops near me are really sour normal coffees.
>>
Today I made a Aeropress Coffee.

I used my burr grinder to make some grinds from beans and I used it to make an aeropress coffee.

Its the best way to make a single cup of Coffee, I used to use a french press sometimes. But since I got the aeropress I use it alot more. The paper filters remove the acid flavor that you get in a french press and I just like it alot more.
>>
>>7290000
It might be overextracted because either your water temperature is too high, your grind too fine, your extraction time too long or all of the above. Or it might be roasted too dark for your taste, or it might just be a feature of the bean. Or it could be just the fact that it's coffee, and coffee is bitter. I'd recommend brewing for a shorter time at a lower temperature for starters.
>>
>>7290024
the acid and the oils are what make it so fucking good

fuck i hate paper filters
>>
>>7290026
>>7290014
Thanks anons
>>
>>7290000
I can vouch for >>7290014, if you're using a moka put don't put the stovetop to full immediately
>>
In the morning I like French press coffee with a splash of cream, I like that it helps cool it down a bit and make it a bit heartier/richer for breakfast.

I put the second cup into a thermos and have it black once I get to work.
>>
If it is anything other than black I hope you are:

1. a woman
2. Under 12
3. Gay

If not, kill yourself.
>>
How long does it take a moka pot to boil on average?
>>
>>7290234
>ermargerd I'm so fucking macho with my big black coffee!

fuck off.
>>
>>7290234
Are you gonna tip that fedora or do you need me to do it for you?
>>
>>7285064
Every morning I make a 16oz coffee with my aeropress. I add a spoon of demerara sugar and some half & half to it.
>>
>>7290012
This kind of autism I can get behind
>>
>>7289883
Not odd at all, that's quite common.
Cooking denatures the proteins that you're allergic too.
>>7290022
Yes its unfortunate. Poor barista skills, the coffee is under extracted when it's sour. I stopped going to certain places because they consistently are shit employees who can't pull a decent shot. Fucking liberal arts hipster faggots.
>>
>>7290240
I preboil the water, then add it to the well of my moka pot, then putting the burner on low, works great for me, and you'll get less metal flavor.
>>
anything other than espresso, americano and latte is pleb shit.

>ice cubes
>scalded milk
>chocolate

jesus
>>
>>7291395
Affogato is a delicious dessert, nigger. A little scoop of vanilla or hazelnut gelato in a pool of hot espresso...nothing better.
>>
>>7291395
>likes hot water
>dislikes ice cubes
>>
I just go to dunkin donuts every morning and get a large iced latte with skim milk
>>
>>7285923
i drink arabic (gulf) coffee
>>
>>7292412
Brah, how much sugar is in one of those?
>>
>>7293595
Approximately 20 grams of sugar according to their website.
>>
File: coffeestats.png (42 KB, 747x422) Image search: [Google]
coffeestats.png
42 KB, 747x422
>>7293619
Note: that is calculated with no sweetener or flavouring.
>>
>>7293619
>>7293628
eh that's not too bad, I was expecting a lot worse
>>
>>7293595
>>7293619
NEVER ask them to put sugar in your coffee because they dump like 10 packets worth of it and it just collects at the bottom. I just get it with skim and put 1 packet of sugar in afterwards like a normal person
>>
Do you guys just have one cup a day in the morning or multiple?

I really enjoy drinking coffee but I don't want ot get too hooked you know
>>
>>7285064
Has anyone ever bothered looking at the "infographic?" It's awful. A cortado and a noisette are the exact same thing, as is a flat white if we're going to going to reduce everything down to straight ingredient ratios. Also a cortado isn't foamed. That's just a macchiato. I'm sure there are far more problems but I'm not enough of a coffee autist to spot them all.
>>
>>7293959
I usually just have one large mug of coffee every morning. I can't drink coffee all day long like some people, it makes me feel all jittery and overactive in the afternoon/evening when I do.
>>
Moka pot cortado, grocery store beans because I buy dark roast so fuck it.
>>7285680
Why don't you just get Starbucks, at that point?
>>
>>7291221
i've been awake for 32.7 hours and i pissed myself laughing at this
>>
Before 9:30 AM, moka pot.

French press if later.

>Black?

Yep

>Sugar?

Nope.

>Espresso machine?

Some day, but no.

The reason I'll only have moka pot before 9:30 AM is because I have a 6-cup model and that is some strong coffee.

I mean, the only way I'll get to sleep is if I'm physically exhausted. However, I usually get up before dawn on moka pot mornings, so I can still get to sleep before midnight.
>>
Three pods of Kona for a full mug from a Senseo machine.

An hour later I get shitty French Roast from the usual drip coffee maker.
>>
>>7294577
>I have a 6-cup model
I've been wondering what this means, I have a 3 cup model of which I drink the whole thing and I don't think it's any stronger than a coffee I would buy at a cafe
>>
>>7294616
It's not stronger, but it brews more.

Around 7 fl oz (207 ml) worth.
>>
>>7285064
I drink 300 ml/morning, around 1000 ml over the whole day
>>
>>7295176
and black, no milk or sugar
>>
Drip pot black.

I consume drugs mainly for their effect. Better than the former morning booze.
>>
Hario V60 with Eight O'Clock beans 9/10 times, local roaster beans 1/10 times. Eight O'Clock is passable for shit I can get anywhere in whole bean form. I have tried to make due with stuff like Maxwell House in dire times and it pretty much makes me want to vomit.

I can't say I've ever tried instant coffee.
>>
Hey pals, if you're wanting to try different types of coffee y'all should try http://brewmethods.com/
they have vids n shit
>>
>>7285064
Moka Pot, Breve, something else if I have time but I normally don't. Normally Café Latte or Capuccino, occasional viennois.

I want to try caffé affogato though, never had that.
>>
I've heard American coffee is pretty weak. Not as much coffee in the coffee or whatever.
>>
>>7295322
Typical breakfast diner coffee is shitty as hell, its like going to a restaurant and ordering a weak French press. I think I only saw one espresso machine the whole time I was there
>>
File: 6851099.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
6851099.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
The place where I bought my beans closed down recently so I've been working my way through the supermarket stock to find a replacement. Pic related is alright.
I use a french press and drink it black with 2 sugars.
>>
>>7293959
Usually it's one (two if I have time) large cup in the morning, one to three trips to the coffee machine at work, and one large cup again instead of lunch.
Then maybe some more large sugary cups at home to counter weed apathy.
>>
>>7293959
Usually just one, maybe a small cup after lunch if I'm feeling unmotivated to work out, or just generally lethargic because I ate a huge burrito or something.
>>
>>7295996
Don't talk shit about diner coffee, obviously it's bad, that's why you get an unlimited amount for 1.50. It's part if the charm. Same reason you don't other anything other than breakfast
>>
>>7296126
>tfw all your local supermarkets dropped ground and whole-bean coffee to make room for k-cups

entire aisles full of k-cups
if you're lucky, you might find ground coffee that isn't folgers
>>
>>7296708
Holy shit, ALL of them? Where do you live? That sounds like the kind of thing you'd see in a painfully trite "satire" of suburban America.
>>
>>7297111
Shit man, I live in the suburbs and we have locally roasted coffee from a local beer brewery.

Anon must live in the middle of nowhere with a dog named Courage.
>>
>>7285064
I drink coffee to treat my anxiety/depression. It works bretty good. I'm drinking colombian right now (organic). But I also have sumatran, ethiopian, and peruvian all organic to try.
>>
>>7296281
Yeah but I literally didn't see any other coffee around (except 7/11 and Dunkin Donuts)
>>
>>7287246
my mum drinks this
>>
>>7297169
>I drink coffee to treat my anxiety/depression.
Really? Coffee gives me panic attacks if I drink too much and butterflies if I don't drink enough
>>
A bit of lactose free milk a tsp of sugar 1-2 cups a day
>>
>>7297186
You're drinking too much. It's like adderall to me though. enough and I have concentration but too much and I can't stop masturbating.
>>
>>7287246
I need a replacement for Nescafe.
>>
>>7285761

Here,

Double-walled press is amazing. You lose so much heat in the glass presses, where with this the coffee still pours our piping hot. I fucking love it.
>>
>>7297190
>It's like adderall to me though. enough and I have concentration
I found the same when I first came to uni and started drinking coffee. The only problem was, if the lecture was boring, then I found myself concentrating intently on anything else but the lecturer. (The screens of the laptops in front of me, funny haircuts etc)
>>
File: umaru reindeer.jpg (346 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
umaru reindeer.jpg
346 KB, 1280x720
I just brewed coffee using slightly cooler water and the result was so nice I didn't even need to add sugar or cream.

What is this feeling?
>>
>>7297177
Where did you visit? There are tons of independent coffee in every major west coast city I've been to, and much of the east coast as well. Not all of it will blow your mind, just like anywhere else, but nearly all of them are better than the places you listed.
>>
>>7297329
Not much, really. I just prewarm the press before brewing. Pours too hot to drink so it gives me time to clean up then drink.
>>
>All these people will never drink out of a $2,000 coffee machine

Feel bad for y'all
>>
>>7297648
That's called not burning the coffee

>>7297716
>what is a cafe
>>
>>7297718
Fuck I didn't think of that.

That was a dumb purchase
>>
New to this whole coffee thing.
Are those vacuum packs of whole beans acceptable? Is it acceptable to buy beans at Starbucks?
>>
File: kickass_icon_1.png (5 KB, 108x154) Image search: [Google]
kickass_icon_1.png
5 KB, 108x154
Who /kickass/ here?
>>
>>7297728
if you're new to the whole thing honestly I don't think you'll notice the difference.
I object to buying beans from starbucks because it's starbucks. I think that might just be a part of Australian coffee culture though
>>
File: P1030388-adjusted.jpg (2 MB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
P1030388-adjusted.jpg
2 MB, 2816x2112
>>7297728
>Are those vacuum packs of whole beans acceptable?

Vacuum-packed starbucks beans are already months old, so not really. You'll get plenty of bloom when you open them at first. But after about a week, nope.

If you want REAL freshness, you gotta roast your own or buy locally roasted.

>Is it acceptable to buy beans at Starbucks?

Like what you like, but it's popularly agreed that the blonde roasts (veranda blend, willow blend) are the best.

I'd recommend the willow.
>>
>>7297742
was thinking of trying this
cant find a roast date on it though
>>
>>7285708
See >>7285973 and >>7286270
But add "while combing my mustache and holding my vintage vinyl carrying case" to the last one.

Your post was queer as fuck.
>>
At home, I grind beans in a burr grinder and use a drip machine, and drink it black.
At a shop, I buy an Americano.

That's it.
>>
>>7285064
Enjoy your drug addiction, RETARDS
>>
Just finished mine.

Hario hand grinder and an aeropress, have a mocha pot as well but I don't use it that often.

Usually drink it black or with a little bit of milk If I'm in a hurry.
>>
>>7285708
I like your style. I usually heat my water on the stove but it never occurred to me to get a kettle. Definitely going to cop one for accuracy.
>>
>>7291378
Is yours made of aluminium? I use warm water in a stainless steel mocca, heat @ 8/9. no metal taste
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 347x498) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 347x498
>>7299644
this is the weekend one we use, got a small one for weekdays as it is free at work.
>>
No mud coffee slobs around here?

>pour supermarket ground coffee into a mug, eyeballing the amount
>pour hot water into the mug, while rotating the mug to get all the coffee wet
>blow onto the floating coffee grounds to get them to sink
>drink coffee
>>
>>7297742
I've tried a couple bags. It's okay. Just got them from the supermarket, no roast date. Poor bloom. Probably better off ordering from the website.
>>
>>7299288
Why are you so triggered?
Are Americans so brainwashed that they are heavily triggered when people actually support their local economy instead of gigantic multinational heartless corporations? Or is it just pathetic NEETs like yourself.
>>
>>7299658
>bialetti

my nigga
>>
>>7285064
What's the difference between foamed milk and milk foam in your pic? Is there any? Am I being hoodwinked? What the hell is going on here?
>>
>>7299879
There is no difference, that chart just sucks
>>
Lately its mostly been french press coffee because I enjoy having three cups, but before that I was using my Moka Pot a lot. I enjoy the Moka Pot more, but the french press is a lot less involved and yields more coffee. It is easier to use since I'm always shifting between hungover and drunk.
>>
>>7299879
>>7300217
Foamed milk is foamy milk.
Milk foam is the foam from milk.
>>
>>7287304
Yeah, that's me.
Although they have a keurig at work so I have to buy cups of both kinds depending on where I want to have coffee.
I take it black.
>>
>>7300362
Isn't that just splitting hairs though?
>>
>>7296151
you sound like me, except i have my own drip-pot at my work (night-shift security) luckily my partner likes his shit strong too.
>>
>>7297169
>sumatran, my nigga
>>
>>7299581
everything is a drug in some way, hell what makes us function are drugs in their pure forms.
and by that i mean whoremoans
>yes, i think it's funny, no i don't care you don't
>>
File: Flustered saber.jpg (53 KB, 293x548) Image search: [Google]
Flustered saber.jpg
53 KB, 293x548
>>7285064
I just drink hazelnut lattes because they taste good.

Does that make me a faggot?
>>
File: saber.png (2 MB, 1288x726) Image search: [Google]
saber.png
2 MB, 1288x726
>>7300661
Maybe a little. But it's okay as long as you are a kawaii faggot.
>>
>>7300661
>drinking flavored latte

Are you parents okay with it?
>>
>>7297742
I /smartass/ fa m. Medium roast > dark
>>
>>7300710
My dad calls them foofy drinks to fuck with me when we visit him, even though he drinks it once in a while too.

My mom [spoiler]died when I was 18[/spoiler]
>>
>>7285064
Cappuchino minus the esspresso
>>
>>7300954
Is your dad Carl Barron
>>
>>7301258
I do and it tastes like shit. Fuck you.
>>
>>7301258
define supermarket coffee
>>
File: 14701247.jpg (85 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
14701247.jpg
85 KB, 960x960
>>7301258
I've been drinking this since my grinder broke, it's surprisingly good actually
>>
>>7301288
just pleb tier pre-ground coffee like seattle's best, gevalia, tullys, just not horribly pleb like folgers/maxwell house
>>
I'm a poorfag student but I want to drink somewhat decent coffee, how should I go about it?
>>
>>7301398
French Press or Moka pot is the cheapest good coffee
>>
>>7301398

Well, to save yourself some money and any regret, try this to make sure you wish to continue down this path.

Go to an independent coffee shop and order something black, preferably light or medium roasted.

You don't have to drink it there and try to tolerate any hipster faggotry if you don't want to; order to go.
>>
>>7285708
If you're going to be that much of a prick about it then you should just roast the beans yourself
>>
>>7301258
I drink Folger's classic roast out of a drip machine when I drink coffee at home. I like it, so why do I need to mess around with the fancy stuff?

Related question: If I make light roast with freshly ground beans in something other than a drip machine, will it taste good? Does it always taste like hot acid?
>>
>>7285708
>200f
holy fuck it doesn't even brew at that temp you pretentious retard
>>
File: Coffee Slut.jpg (48 KB, 400x698) Image search: [Google]
Coffee Slut.jpg
48 KB, 400x698
>>7285064
>>
eyeball nescafe instant
milk/cream only to cool it down
drink it in a few seconds with 1-2mg klonopin

it sucks being poor.

altho I don't understand the working class love of tim hortons double double. it tastes sweater than a coke
>>
>>7297357
definitely. Adderall can make something you are COMPELLED to do bareable otherwise it will just laser-focus your fucking off.
>>
/cg/ trying to make the jump to elite brew status. Thinking about picking up a Chemex. What are ideal set-ups with a Chemex? Do people just put those things on their stove-top to preheat them? Are there electric programmable kettles? What scales do people use?
>>
>>7285708
>Locally roasted beans ground with a hand burr grinder the moment before brewing.
Probably a shitty prolex or skerton. May as well use a blade grinder at that point.

>Kettle set to 200F.
Too cold. If the coffee is good, get that shit up to 207+

>French press let grounds brew for 4 minutes.
I hope you're getting some early agitation in there and going pressless.

>Pour into hand painted locally glazed and fired ceramic mug, preheated.
Lol. Use a decanter you oaf.

Plebs
>>
>>7302484
First things first. What do you have as a grinder?
>>
>>7302530
Today I have a blade grinder, will obviously jump to burr before I move to Chemex. Looking at a Baratza Encore
>>
strong flat white, no sugar.
>>
>>7297726
Even if you pay 7 dollars for coffee at a cafe, you would need to use your machine 286 times to break even.
>>
Got a Handpresso recently. Actually works pretty well.
>>
>>7285708
>4 minutes

why go to all that effort if you can't even taste the coffee? 7 minutes here.
>>
I like Newman's Own coffee, no cream or sugar. I'm not a raging faggot so I don't do whatever the fuck a "press" is with my coffee or otherwise do meme shit to it.
>>
>>7302219
Actually yes it does.
And that's French press temp.
If using my aeropress I set the kettle to 185F.
>>7302523
Actually you want lower temperature for better coffee/depends on brew method. See above.
>>7302823
4 minutes is perfect. You're wrong, or like bitter coffee, which is fine.
>>
File: 1386234372921.jpg (43 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1386234372921.jpg
43 KB, 640x960
>>7285064
>Drinking the caffinated Jew
>>
>>7302862

how much coffee are you using per cup?
>>
>>7302700
That's actually not unreasonable for someone who drinks coffee daily. There's also the convenience of only having to go to your kitchen instead of potentially across town.
>>
>>7302829
thx 4 the input
>>
>>7285064
have an expresso machine but had a ton of more coarse coffee so normally use the moka pot, will mainly use the machine once I finish it an can be bothered to go to the coffee store
>>
>>7304281
also if you use a moka I suggest putting a star anise on the water compartment it gives a mild flavour, but rinse it right away or the flavour/smell will stick to it
>>
>>7302354
i dont drink instant but ive seen a friend use a trick to get crema on it, you put the coffee in the mug and a bit of water, only like a teaspoon and beat it with a fork till it gets foamy, then you put the hot water
>>
Mocha every time
>>
>>7289067
i know what you should get

get OUT OF THERE
>>
>>7285064
So I'd I walk into Starbucks and ask for a cafe creme they will know what it is?Or will I sound look like a neckbeard?
>>
>>7304412
At starbucks probably not, ask for a double expresso with cream on the top
>>
Will they look at me weird if i go to starbucks and order a plain black coffee?
It seems like everyone just orders those sugary coffee milkshakes instead of real coffee.
>>
>>7304551
>Will they look at me weird if i go to starbucks and order a plain black coffee?
Nope, just order a Long Black or an Americano if you're a pleb. It's not an unusual order at all
>>
>>7285923
Cafe Bustelo from a Moka Pot.
>>
Are these ever worth it?
>>
>>7285064

Usually I rush out the door and get a double americano at my local hipster-ass coffee spot

If I have my shit together I make an aeropress coffee at home and then share a french press at the office. On weekends I hoard a french press to myself.

No fuckin' time for milk in coffee.
>>
>flat white, thanks
If it takes you more than five words to order coffee you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>7285676
What kind of trouble do you mean? French press is pretty straight forward. 2 tbsp/ 6oz water just under boiling. Brew for 3-4 minutes.
>>
>>7305549
>flat white
>not drinking a vanilla-soy half-caf-half-decaf extra hot Tibetan Yak milk cinnamon and pumpkin spiced-iced latte with extra cream on top
>>
File: irish.jpg (41 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
irish.jpg
41 KB, 600x500
Just got into using a chemex and grinding fresh beans after a life-time of pre-ground drip-- I'm fucking blown away. I never knew coffee was supposed to taste close to what it smells like rather than something like sightly chalky, bitter hot water.

Anyway, I'm thinking of making Irish coffees with it the next time my friends come over. Any opinions on what coffee to use that could go well with Irish whisky and brown sugar?
>>
>>7302523
R O A S T E D
>>
>>7304551
>will a coffee shop shame me for ordering coffee
>>
>>7305707
Mate I'm pretty sure thats just Guinness
>>
>>7285064
Cubano usually.
8oz with half and half
>>
>>7302873
>le it's le jooz :^))))
why even do anything then you fucking faggot if it's always the Jews
kill yourself
>>
I started cold brewing my coffee about a week ago. It's nice and convenient.
I also generally do the pour-over method.
>>
americanos all day long
>>
File: cool zone.jpg (49 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
cool zone.jpg
49 KB, 500x360
look, all i'm saying is that my coffee tastes better than your coffee and there's not a god damned thing you can do about it.
>>
>>7285923
cold brew my nigga
>>
>>7299291
I posted this yesterday, but apparently I'm a fucking liar, because I've had two cafe au laits since then, lol. Both were after a meal. IDK why, I just wanted cafe au lait for some reason. I'm very sure that tomorrow, once the week starts, I'll go back to my black coffee and Americanos, but the cafe au lait was nice for a change.
>>
File: MI+Irish_Coffee_glass.jpg (65 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
MI+Irish_Coffee_glass.jpg
65 KB, 650x488
>>7305800
I think a good Irish coffee should resemble a Guinness.

Any doofus can mix hot coffee, sugar, whisky (and god forbid Baileys if you fell for the marketing and like to ruin a good thing) into a glass and plop some whipped creme on top.

The challenge is making it look nice-- which if you want to give it a Guinness look means knowing how to whip and float light creme.
>>
>>7302862
>Actually you want lower temperature for better coffee/depends on brew method. See above.
Absolutely not. Colder water is more forgiving for darker roasts.

What you don't understand is that you are aiming for the 195-205 SCAA recommended temperature in the SLURRY. Not the water in kettle temperature, but the temperature after the water has mixed with room temperature coffee. If you start at 200, you're going to hit about 185-190 if you preheat a french press. Even lower if you use a v60 or chemex or the like.

Using 185 in the aeropress is just a way that people differentiate their coffee in competitions. Higher temperature tastes better if the coffee is good, for the reasons I just explained. There's a reason those same aeropress competition recipes aren't winning any brewer's cup titles.

>4 minutes is perfect. You're wrong, or like bitter coffee, which is fine.
It isn't perfect. And he isn't necessarily wrong.

When you do an immersion brew without agitation the EXT% will increase over time, slowing as it goes. The difference between 3 minutes and 4 is minimal. The difference between 4 and 7 is nearly non existent. I've had tasty brews that have steeped for over 10 minutes. It really isn't a black and white thing. Extraction is primarily a function of grind size, water temperature and composition, coffee solubility, agitation, and contact time.

You're not nearly as informed as you think you are.
>>
>>7302568
Good choice. Socratic coffee has had some surprisingly positive results with their particle distribution tests regarding the breville smart grinder pro. Although the methodology is flawed (sieving and weighing vs laser diffraction). Encores are pretty tried and true though, and baratza is a great company. The lido 2 is in the same price range if you want more bang for the buck and are ok with manual grinding. Don't spend any money on anything until you get a grinder. Then get some good water. Then grab an aeropress. Then try out the v60/chemex route after you grab a gooseneck kettle if you want to or you need to make coffee for multiple people.
>>
>>7302874
Start with a 16:1 ratio and go from there.
>>
I'm interested in trying other brewing methods besides drip and french press. What are some recommendations?
>>
>>7285676
throw your ferench press out the window with the milk make your coffee black with a pour over funnel or stfu about methods and troubleshooting. you dont drink coffee, you drink betafag juice.
>>
>>7306358
I've just gotten a moka pot and really like it. I've learnt to make a pretty decent flat white using it
>>
>>7306388
Okay, please tell me how you achieved this.
A friend gave me his moka pots (a 3 cup and a 6 cup), but I haven't had much success with them. I'd love to make a nice flat white in the mornings, and after dinner.
>>
>>7306453
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpyBYuu-wJI&feature=
This says everything you need. It's really important to make sure the grinds you make/buy are fairly coarse. The French Press frothing takes practice to know when to stop
>>
>>7306282
>>7305867
>>
>>7289429
>lazy pour over
Ayee
>>
>>7307639
>>
Newfag to coffee here
What's some good, cheap, french presses and grinders?
>>
>>7307904
I got my French Press for $5 from Ikea, it works as well as any other I've owned does
>>
File: 81ptG3s0krL._SL1500_.jpg (130 KB, 1046x1500) Image search: [Google]
81ptG3s0krL._SL1500_.jpg
130 KB, 1046x1500
>>7307904
ikea sells $8 french presses made of glass and plastic
they come in black
bodum sells $15 french presses made of glass, plastic and metal
they come in kids colors
everything else is overpriced crap
>>
>>7305564
>extra cream
>not extra low-fat cream

omg eww enjoy getting fat
>>
Coffee is naturally bitter

Why do people say it isn't supposed to be bitter?

Do they mean bitter like office coffee which taste like mud?

Or do they talk of any bitter in general?
>>
>>7309815
Overly bitter. Unpleasantly bitter. People generally dislike unbalanced flavors in coffee.
>>
>>7309815
The bitter components are water soluble which is why overextracted coffee will always taste bitter. The trick is to extract as much of the non-bitter components as you can before the bitter components dominate.
It's a science.
E61 Espresso is the only legitimate solution.
>>
>>7309909
Or you know, just brew at a lower temperature.
I did that by accident the other day and I didn't even feel like adding cream or sugar, it was good on it's own.
>>
>>7285064
Don't drink coffee in the morning.
I'm thinking of getting a super automatic espresso machine to fix that. But just waiting until I can justify myself buying a $1500 machine
>>
Do you guys stir after pouring your french press? I'm getting conflicting results.

Also, is 2tbsp/6oz water really necessary?
>>
>>7310553
I pour a bit to wet the ground, then gently(!) stir for 10 seconds to make sure everything is wet, then pour the rest of the water.
>>
>watering down espresso is a thing
>>
>>7310629
Became popular when American GI's did it while stationed in Italy.
>>
>>7285064

The office has free Folgers drip, so I drink 4-5 cups of it black per day.
>>
>>7309920
Unfortunately this also gives up a ton of desirable flavors as well. Not an ideal solution.
>>
>>7309909
>E61 Espresso is the only legitimate solution.
That is ridiculously stupid. The grouphead is a tiny factor in the quality of the espresso. Not to mention that you can make awesome coffee without an espresso machine.
>>
>>7310563
>then gently(!)
Wrong. Stir like a madman to get everything wet as fast as you can. Agitation doesn't do much early on but get everything wet. Later on it influences extraction heavily, and generally in an undesirable way.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-12-21-56-54.png (224 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-12-21-56-54.png
224 KB, 1920x1080
>>7290234
>>
>>7289453
you can use it to cut up those pesky rocks in your shoes
>>
>>7290000
try adding very little salt to it

nice quads btw
>>
Why does my Aeropress coffee go cold get lukewarm in about a minute flat? I boil my water, pour the boiling water in my cup to pre-heat it, wait about a minute for the water in the kettle to cool down slightly, and I do the pressing process within about a minute and a half then add a tiny bit of milk. By the time I drink it, it's already noticeably cooled down. Towards the end it's practically cold.
>>
>>7310343
Get a moka pot. They're dirt cheap and make better "espresso" than any espresso machine under $300 if you learn to use it right. Use that for awhile, THEN try to decide if you'd use the $1500 machine enough to be worth it
>>
>>7311453
I already have an espresso machine. I'm talking about a super automatic machine
>>
>>7310629
And? Not every beer needs to be a 1000 IBU IPA or a quintuple imperial stout. Not every whisk(e)y needs to be drunk neat at cask strength. The assumption that more intense flavors are always and inherently better is the same idiotic thinking that made Epic Meal Time a thing
>>
>>7311465
Super autos suck hard. The build quality is shit. The coffee quality is shit. Do not cop.
>>
4 cup pot of black "Seattle's Best" No.5
>>
Any Pact fags? Am I wasting my money?
>>
Just had coffee with baileys for the first time. Was surprisingly good
>>
>>7312829
>Not drinking the Baileys straight
Pleb.
>>
>>7311786
Only for cheap machines.
>>
Cold brew during the summer using cheese cloth + a strainer. Chock full o nuts is actually great for making large batches, and I'm usually a snob about getting whole beans from the right place.

Mostly just espresso during the fall/winter.
>>
>>7313574
Nope. Even for quite expensive ones. I've worked with some that are over 5k, and are made with cheap plastic parts, are prone to malfunction, and don't make very good coffee. It's a waste of money.

Super-autos don't need to suck, but right now they do. They are marketed to the uninformed.
>>
>>7314646
Sure you have
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.