[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you cook your steak and what seasoning do you use?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 23
File: steak.jpg (187 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
steak.jpg
187 KB, 1500x1125
How do you cook your steak and what seasoning do you use?
>>
well done with ketchup
>>
I mean what exact methods do you guys use. Like for a thick steak should I be doing 4 minutes per side?
>>
>>7281354
Depends on the cut, what degree of doneness you want, temperature of the pan, and the thickness.

Just touch it, the more done it is the harder it feels.
>>
>>7281354
how thick? how hot is your pan? how do you want it cooked? why are you a moron?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
We'll see one side of the steak was pretty thick but the other wasn't. I got three steaks and this was the last one and I think it came out the best. I just haven't cooked that much, trying to emulate my mom's Italian cooking as much as I can.

I put some salt on it, let it get to room temperature, got the pan hot, added a little canola oil and cooked it about four minutes per side. Medium rare about.. How did I do, it tastes pretty good.
>>
File: hbb sketti.gif (309 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
hbb sketti.gif
309 KB, 300x400
>>7281443

>you know it's done when it sticks to the wall
>>
For Rib eye

Take the steak out of the fridge 20-30 minutes before cooking. Turn grill (propane) on high, let it heat up. Cook 15 minutes total, flipping every 5 minutes. Try to let the steak sit a few minutes before eating it, but I've actually found that isn't as important as I've heard. I usually eat some of the corners before you're supposed to. Comes out medium rare this way.
>>
File: usdaPnyGorgon.jpg (789 KB, 1560x873) Image search: [Google]
usdaPnyGorgon.jpg
789 KB, 1560x873
>>7281354

I'll go through my process. I've done a lot of experimenting and this is my favorite way to cook a steak for that high-end steakhouse taste.

Get USDA prime or American Wagyu. Choice works well too. My experience is that more expensive is better, but you'll still end up spending way less for an amazing Wagyu strip than for a decent filet mignon in a restaurant. $20-25 per lb is going to be top steakhouse quality beef.

I let my steaks sit out for an hour or so. Also these directions are for 1"-1.5" thick steaks.

I trim off any excess fat on the outside of the steak that I can. For NY steaks this gets rid of that gristle on one side and allows you to east the whole steak sometimes without leaving anything behind. On a ribeye this will also get rid of some of the fat that will just burn and misshape the steak as it cooks.

Pic related. The final product.
>>
>>7281949
>Here's how I cook a steak!
>Zero reference to cooking time or heat.

Well done senpai keep up the good work.
>>
File: stripopen.jpg (1 MB, 1616x1212) Image search: [Google]
stripopen.jpg
1 MB, 1616x1212
>>7281949

For seasoning I use a very small amount of olive oil rubbed over both sides. Next up is some good sea salt followed up by Kinder's Prime Rib Rub. This stuff is pretty spendy but tastes exactly like the seasoning they use on a good prime rib bark. Next up the grill.

I use a propane grill that gets up to 650-700+ degrees, so cooking times are for something similar. I get the grill as hot as possible on high.

>place on grill for 60-80 seconds
>lift, rotate 45 degrees place back down for 60-80 seconds
>flip, cook 60-90 seconds
>ift, rotate 45 degrees place back down for 60-80 seconds
>take off grill and let sit for 3 minutes

Depending on how you like your steak and how thick it is these cooking times should get you rare to medium rare. I also notice that rib eyes take about a half minute longer than NY strips for the same doneness per thickness. Total time is 5-6 minutes. 4 minutes if it's under an inch thick.

Takes some practice but this is a good thing to go by. I can pretty much take any steak and cook it rare-medium rare the first time just by looking at its fat and thickness and then divide the total cook time by four and follow the direction above to get those grill marks.

Here is that steak cut open. Came out medium rare, closer to rare. Steak was about 2/3" thick and cooked 4 minutes total.
>>
>>7281982
I... I think I just got an erection...
>>
File: sadpierre.jpg (13 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
sadpierre.jpg
13 KB, 300x168
Knorr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Pj0jvnkxs
>>
File: plate.jpg (2 MB, 1720x1899) Image search: [Google]
plate.jpg
2 MB, 1720x1899
>>7281982

And then I put fresh ground pepper on AFTER the steak is done. The blob of butter looking thing on top is this gorgonzola butter I made. It's gorgonzola crumbles whipped up with some garlic, parsley and a lot of butter.

I put too much on this steak as it didn't really need a flavor explosion like this provides. I find that it tastes much better with a ribeye. The flavors meld well together, even though a ribeye is more flavorful than a NY. Highly recommend it, and it tastes good on warm french bread.
>>
>>7282031
What are the black potato shaped objects?
>>
In a hot cast iron skillet, flipping every 30 seconds or so, until just below medium rare.

Salt and pepper.
>>
I like dry aged ribeyes myself, I try to get meat that is at least 45 days up to 90 days worth of aging, usually though I can only find things that are 60 days old.

First I sous vide it at 120f for 1 to 1.5 hours afterwards I will season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper before either putting it on a grill that is heated using lump charcoal or onto my cast iron pan on the stove top. Total cook time in either case is just enough to form a crust on my steak as that is all that is needed.
>>
File: 1291254701650.jpg (5 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
1291254701650.jpg
5 KB, 183x275
>>7282013
>>
>>7281354
You should get a thermometer is what you should do.
>>
>>7281949
Allow me to advise you on a better way to get rid of the gristle: Cook it.

Put the steak on its side and let the fat cook down, until crispy. It will make the edge of your steak the most delicious part.

I generally cook NY strips, and I have never, ever been unable to eat the entire steak. If "sometimes" being able to eat the whole thing is noteworthy to you, you are -- and I don't mean this to be harsh -- doing it wrong.
>>
File: pDGC1-10604049v380.jpg (30 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
pDGC1-10604049v380.jpg
30 KB, 380x380
I like this stuff and I don't care what anyone says!
>>
Ribeye, preferably about 1.5 inches thick.
Leave on counter to take the chill off for 20 mins or so.
Grind salt and pepper on each side.
Hot hot pan.
4ish mins a side. Flip only once.
Let rest 5 mins.
Eat w/ a nice mustard or grated horseradish.
>>
>>7282054

>black potato shaped objects

black potatoes?
>>
File: download.jpg (12 KB, 268x187) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12 KB, 268x187
>>7281348
I'm pretty pleb when it comes to steak:

>AAA sirloin, usually 6-8 oz strip? b/w 2-4cm thick, pat dried, lightly oiled and salted with kosher salt, black pepper, little bit of garlic/onion spice
>fried on a medium-high heated skillet, flipped when the side is caramelized to crisp, but still very juicy (3-4 minutes)
>flipped, other side fried the same
>briefly seer and press the sides (30 seconds)
>served medium rare, letting the steak rest on warm plate for 2 minutes
>juice from skillet poured back onto steak, or side dishes
>>
>>7282054

potatoes
>>
Without any of that reverse sear SOO VEEDE bull crap.
>>
File: file.jpg (644 KB, 703x1000) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
644 KB, 703x1000
Sous vide because that contains all the juices and you get the most pink this way.
>>
File: hurrr.jpg (3 KB, 127x123) Image search: [Google]
hurrr.jpg
3 KB, 127x123
>>7283061

M E M E
E
M
E
>>
>>7281348
garlic powder, salt, black pepper.
>>
>>7281348
In my experience I season by marinating in red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar mix then i season it with a powdered garlic, powdered onion, kosher salt, and black pepper mix. I then grill it for a lil' bit turn it so as to acquire those nice grill marks. Flip it, see those beautiful marks, give it three mins temp it with a thermometer and check periodically until it temps at about 127F. so it carry over cooks into 133-135 F. range.
>>
>>7282638
You should sear it first on both sides, then cook longer on lower heat. This way the steak should retain more of its juices because they are locked in upon searing.
>>
File: steak.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
steak.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
Liberally salt the steak and let sit out to pull moisture for fifteen minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel. Heat cast iron over medium high heat and sear one side of steak (or fat side down and then one side if cooking a strip) for one minute. Flip the steak and add butter, shallots, garlic, and rosemary to the pan. Cook for two minutes. Flip one more time and pull cast iron from the heat. Baste the steak with the now herb infused butter while allowing final crust to form on the other side from residual heat in the iron. Let rest five minutes before cutting. Wa la!
>>
File: 1449274845497.jpg (21 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
1449274845497.jpg
21 KB, 224x225
>>7283979
>>
Dice an onion.
Make fine slices on surface of the steak.
In a bowl.
Place steak on bed of onions , them place more onions on top.
Apply a 1/2 cup of red wine with full body ( i like cabs) or soy or worcestershire.

Let sit 30-45 min.

Cast iron skillet. High heat.
A little olive or penut oil or if i have it duck fat.

Steak if it has a fatty edge i will using hold it on edge like another anon. For 1 min.

Then 3/4/1/1 min. Then rest it while i cook some of the onions till golden.

The proteases in the onion helps to tenderize the steak.

When i was poor, i used onion and soy all the time , to tenderize the shitty neat i would buy.
>>
>>7283971
Searing is done only to caramelize the exterior of the meat, Anon. The "locking in juices" thing is fucking bullshit that was started years back by chefs who didn't know any better.
>>
>>7284607
Chalaipin Steak

https://youtu.be/DBRLtTNq308
>>
>>7284917
A U T I S M
>>
>>7284917
this except
dice onions really fine
marinate the steak in onions for 2 hours
add soy sauce to the onions right at the end
add some branston pickle to the rice

but only for really cheap thin steaks
>>
>>7284917
God the second part is almost a how to basic.
>>
File: 1449610312346.jpg (138 KB, 634x674) Image search: [Google]
1449610312346.jpg
138 KB, 634x674
>>7284917
that pan is as dry as sahara

it hurts to watch
>>
File: autismgif.gif (128 KB, 728x426) Image search: [Google]
autismgif.gif
128 KB, 728x426
>>7284917
>>
>>7281348
Bought a shit ton of frozen steaks in bulk over a year ago that im still eating

i take it directly from the freezer and put it on a foreman grill, mostly because it make it look more appetizing when its done and i dont want to throw a block of ice on hot oil, i salt and pepper it at this point, splash on some red wine vinegar and try to seal it the best i can

after its got some nice grill marks and brown but still frozen in the middle i seal it on the stove

then i put it in the oven until med rare
>>
In a hot pan or outside on the grill

Salt and pepper
>>
File: nmonmonmo.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
nmonmonmo.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>7281348
>How do you cook your steak and what seasoning do you use?

Well done in the microwave w/ a1, mayo, ketchup and velveeta
>>
>>7281348
Your pan is too smaaaaaaaalll.
>>
>tfw I will never cook a great steak

the stove in my apartment seems to have two irritating safety features. too much smoke and the gas cuts out - which I have been able to circumvent - but it also seems to have an automatic cut-off if it thinks there is nothing in the pan bizarrely. it cuts out when I try to get a pan blisteringly hot even when there is no smoke. fuck.
>>
>>7284917

JUST
>>
>>7283061
>you get the most pink this way.

:^)
>>
>>7285306
Do you live in an apartment made for retards?
>>
>>7285306
>too much smoke

That's just you being an idiot. Turn the heat down.
>>
>>7285306
I've never heard of a stove with feature like that. Sounds more like it's just a busted piece of shit that doesn't work like it's supposed to.
>>
>>7286423

It's common with Induction stoves but doesn't many any sense at all with Gas. there's no sensor or other device on a gas stove that does what he/she is describing.
>>
>>7286401

kill yourself, smoke is a big part of cooking
>>
Medium rare
Oil in pan for searing and then butter, garlic and basil in the pan.
Pre-cooking I use some rock salt and pepper.
>>
>>7286401
>Turn the heat down.
He said he wants to cook a great steak.
>>
>Put grill pan of fire
>Slap some oil and rosemary
>Throw steak on
>Make sure its well done
>Put on plate
>Slap salt and lemon
>Eat
gg no re
>>
>>7286382
>>7286423

I live in Japan in a rented apartment. It's not broken - an alarm goes off when the gas cuts out so it's clearly a safety thing.

It even goes off when I cook sausages sometimes. Extremely sensitive to any smoke. The other 'feature' is so confusing. It can't possibly know that nothing is in the pan can it? Or maybe it can - there is a button type thing that gets pushed down when you put a pan on. Sounds ludicrous I know but there is no other explanation.
>>
>>7287440
That's fucking awful.

If I were you, I'd move immediately. I wouldn't be able to live in a place with a stove that defective.
>>
>>7284623
>meat
>caramelize

Pick one.
>>
>>7287490

It's fine for everything except steak.
>>
>>7282090
That stuff is great on burgers
>>
I take an old scraped up Teflon coated pan. I pour some salt in a little bit of water. Maybe about a tablespoon or two... I turn the heat up to high, wait for water to evaporate. Then you throw the steak on.

Let it cook for maybe 10 mins. Then flip over and cover. Let it cook for' a while. Takes some time to cook steak all the way through.

If it sticks to the bottom of the pan just use a fork to jimmy it off the hot surface.

If you did it right the outside will taste perfect just like those bags near the check out at gas stations with the little tiny strips of steak. So far no restaurant is even close to this quality.
>>
>>7281350
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>7281348
>>7281354
>figure out what the intrrnal temp of your favorited doneness is
>get a probe thermometer
>cook the steak on a cast iron frying pan on max flame
>flip the steak when the edge of the bottom turns dark
>insert probe thermometer and wait until the steak is 5 degrees from being done
>take it off and let it rest on a wood surface for a couple minutes
There you go. Make sure that you don't cook a fatty steak rare or med rare, you will vomit.
>>
File: action hero.png (104 KB, 267x329) Image search: [Google]
action hero.png
104 KB, 267x329
>>7288219
>puking from eating food
how does it feel to have a uterus?
>>
>>7281348
I marinade mine briefly in light soy, sesame oil, chilli flakes, shallots and scezuan peppercorns

seared on both sides in a medium hot pan, cooked medium well, left to rest for 5 minutes
>>
>>7283971
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-food-labs-top-6-food-myths.html
>>
>>7283979
Use that much butter? Isn't that unhealthy?
>>
piping hot pan, smack steak in it with no seasoning before. turn. prod it untill not too soft anymore (-> bbq tech). slam in oven @ 100C for a short time, remove from oven. salt&pepper.
>>
Fuck. I love steak. I doing east meat anymore but my favorite was this:

Salt steak and let it sit. Depending on the cut you might drizzle with oil. Then season with garlic powder, pepper, basil, cumin, chili flakes and brown sugar. Broil to just over rare when the sugar caramelizes. Jesus. Christ.
>>
>>7289421
>Not seasoning your meat before cooking
>Only using salt pepper
Guarantee that you're white and that your steaks taste bad
>>
>>7289442
right, I seasoned before cooking, learned basics and switched to salting after. try it out.
>>
>>7289758
and yes - salt and pepper are seasoning. don't want to miss out tasting carla, clary, whatevername my steak had.
>>
salt. pepper. cook/sear one side, then the other. no touching during cooking.
>>
>>7281348
salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder that steak till it's nice and crusted in the stuff
throw it down on a grill or unoiled skillet, HOT
cook one side then the other, bring that bitch to a perfect rare-medium rare. seal in all the juicy stuff.

put a half a tablespoon of butter and a drop or two of lemon juice on top of the steak after cooking and let it rest while the butter melts into the steak. then you fucking eat it.
10/10 the cayenne pepper has this beautiful smokey taste when grilled.
>>
>>7281348
Salt and pepper
> sometimes a little thyme
>>
File: IMG_20141021_135547_297.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141021_135547_297.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
>>7289411

It certainly is. It is also delicious.
>>
>>7281348
yyumm
>>
>>7281690
what did you hear about not letting meat "rest"?
>>
>>7289840
>garlic powder
>seal in all the juicy stuff
>butter after

this guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about
>>
>>7281354

4 minutes per side per inch, an additional minute per .25 inch thicker than that. Or just sous vide.
>>
>>7284623
>>7287656
It's called the Maillard reaction, but the basic principle is the same. It's just at a lower temperature.

>>7283971
>This way the steak should retain more of its juices because they are locked in upon searing
Holy shit kill yourself
>>
>>7281348
I'm so over steak. I prefer a good braised roast or shortrib.
>>
>>7281348
>Salt
>pepper
>olive oil

>rare/med rare

Maybe let it soak in some Worcestershire as well

I use a cast iron if I cant use the BBQ or over coals if i can be fucked starting a fire.
>>
>>7289411
Who gives a shit about health as long as the food is tasty?
>>
sous vide. memes aside its objectively the best way to cook a steak
>>
File: 1360792044929.jpg (21 KB, 384x395) Image search: [Google]
1360792044929.jpg
21 KB, 384x395
>>7292435
>>
If I'm gonna panfry something simple I'll just throw a little olive oil, heat on full blast, do each side for a minute to sear, then hold the pan so the oil goes to one side and sear the sides of the steak for a minute each. I add some butter and a little more of my seasoning choice, put heat on medium and go for a few more minutes on each side based on thickness.
>>
Salt heavily the day before
Pepper just before going in pan. Going in straight from fridge is fine.
Pan should be cast iron, hot as hell with a neutral vegetable oil that's just starting to smoke.
Begin by searing any large layer of fat on the edge (for example on a NY strip steak)
Flip every 30 seconds
Depending on thickness, this may take between 2 and 4 minutes total to reach rare. An Inch, for my stove, is about 3 minutes.
After a minute in the pan, add butter (or if you have saved beef fat from a pan roast, use that preferably) and tilt pan, basting top and sides of steak. Focus on any less browned areas. Add herbs / garlic of choice on top of steak.
When steak is done, remove from pan, sit on cutting board, rest 4-5 minutes. While resting, wipe or pour the remaining fat away from the pan and pour in 1/4 cup red wine (note: the piss that's been open for 5 months in your cupboard is no longer red wine. Toss that shit away. ) and deglaze. Slice steak into half a dozen large diagonal chunks, transfer to plate, add jous, eat

particularly thick steaks (more than 1.5 inches) I usually sear in the pan and transfer to my oven as hot as it will go for 4 minutes.
>>
File: 20160121_141721.jpg (4 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
20160121_141721.jpg
4 MB, 4128x3096
>>7292515
forgot pic
>>
>>7281348
Sous vide With roasted garlic, butter, thyme.
Hanger steak only.
Black pepper and salt for finishing sear
>/thread
>>
File: 1453385802364.jpg (341 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
1453385802364.jpg
341 KB, 1032x774
>>7292522
trying to pass a fish head off as a steak. mhmm.
>>
>>7282013
get that marco faggot out of here
>>
>>7283979
>Wa la
>voila
Oh boy.
>>
>>7284607
>to tenderize the shitty neat i would buy.

Anon.... are you a cannibal?

NEET-s out there beware, somebody is kidnapping your kind and selling them for food
>>
>>7282090
thats my shit
>>
>>7292657
Spotted the newfag
>>
Season with salt and pepper. Put in bag and marinade in soy sauce, Worcestershire, olive oil, fresh crushed garlic, and some steak spice (optional). Let marinade for 2 hours.

Sear the shit out of it to seal in juices and then continue cooking until medium rare.

God tier steak.
>>
>>7281982
fuck thats really pink, disgusting desu senpai
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.