[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hummus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: hummus.jpg (258 KB, 1366x911) Image search: [Google]
hummus.jpg
258 KB, 1366x911
Does /ck/ eat hummus?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>7276422

Indeed
>>
>>7276422
more like YUMmus, am I right dudes?
>>
File: hi-five-cat.jpg (47 KB, 560x561) Image search: [Google]
hi-five-cat.jpg
47 KB, 560x561
>>7276436

good one bro
>>
never had hummus but I would definitely try it.
>>
absolutely
>>
yeah but the good stuff is thick. its not watery.

watery hummus is disgusting. also, lots of it is too salty.
>>
>>7276422
I've been eating it all m y life. As a kid, I would dip carrots in hummus then just lick that good-good right off that little orange hummus carrying rod and repeat with the same carrot.
>>
Houmous on halved boiled eggs is great for lunch
>>
>>7276459
If you mean OPs pic that is oil. It has no effect on the taste, if anything it brings it out.
>>
>>7276422
Love that shit. Just got a food processor too, so I'm finally gonna be able to make my own. Very excited, it's probably my favorite snack with some naan bread

>>7276459
thats oil friendo, some people put it on top, some put it in the hummus, and some do a bit of both.

For maximum tasty, add 2/3 to the hummus, then remaining 1/3 on top when serving

>>7276469
never had it with anything other than vegetables and breads. Now its got me wondering what else I can do with it
>>
File: 22568259.jpg (78 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
22568259.jpg
78 KB, 400x400
>>7276422
Zohan brushes his teeth with it.
>>
>>7276478
>>7276502
i wasnt even looking at that. i just recall buying hummus in the grocer and its mostly water-weight. mass-produced crap, probably.
>>
>>7276515
ah yeah, a lot of store hummus is absolute garbage. Either blasted to shit with unnecessary flavours or watery, salty garbage.

I've gone through basically every brand available in Ontario and found maybe 10% of them are solid.

Hell, I've seen hummus with mayo added for smoothness and creaminess. It's as disgusting as it sounds, like eating hummus-flavored salad dressing.
>>
I hate when I'm traveling and don't have a blender to make it myself and most of the stuff in stores is made with pure citric acid instead of lemon juice.
>>
File: hcmp54785_98650_s3.jpg (22 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
hcmp54785_98650_s3.jpg
22 KB, 500x281
I had some good beetroot hummus at VEGA in Madrid.
>>
>>7276525
lol, nasty
>>
>>7276503
i wonder if anyone is actually like the way you're pretending to be like
>>
>>7276578
I suppose that went over my head. What are you talking about?
>>
>>7276502
what sort of vegetables do you eat it with? I want more of it my diet.
>>
>>7276684
Carrots are good and healthy, I like adult carrots sliced into planks. Peppers are good too, but peppers are basically just water and cellulose, not much healthy or unhealthy about them.

If you can digest it, raw or blanched sweet potato is pretty tasty too.

Also, a lot of people dont know you can eat parsnips raw. I like them planked with hummus, however it needs to be flavored due to the almost spiced taste of the plant, since it tends to overpower plain hummus
>>
>>7276684
My bf likes red cabbage with it.
>>
File: creamcheese.jpg (4 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
creamcheese.jpg
4 KB, 275x183
>>7276422
>>7276436
>>7276459

Good stuff but I always add some cream cheese in with it in the food processor. It's kind of bland and the store brand never uses enough oil. This also cuts down on the wateriness.
>>
File: it'srainingmen.jpg (183 KB, 1024x822) Image search: [Google]
it'srainingmen.jpg
183 KB, 1024x822
>>7276684
i always make kale chips to dip it.
>>7276459
how do i get this texture? if i want it to be smooth i need to add quiet a bit of liquid.

do you guys always add tahini? i tried adding in a spoon of peanut butter. it's delicious!

what else do you add to your hummus?
i put in lemon juice, salt, olive oil, paprika, tahini and optional peanut butter.
do you use canned chick-peas or cook them on your own?
>>
>>7278080
I cook my own. Soak for a minimum of six hours (usually longer), and then 10 minutes in an elevated pan in a pressure cooker. If you buy canned, make sure there's no additives. Disodium EDTA can cause severe headaches. Most people where I am seem to ignore the causes of their headaches and pop pain pills.
>>
>>7278080
i never made it. i just recon that the least moisture you can use and still have it spreadable and creamy, thats your goal
>>
>>7278090
i used to cook them myselfe but i was too ocd and ended up peeling every single one of them. i just found a neat organic canned brand with only water salt and chickpeas. i took 5 glasses home. two are already gone... shit's delicious! i like the convenience of not having to know the night before if i want to eat hummus the next day.
>>
>>7278114
that sounds easyer tahn it is... i've considered pureeing the chickpeas and then cook the moisture out but i dunno, that's pretty weird
>>
>>7278080
The title of your image file is amusing.
>>
>>7278139
hallelujah anon
>>
>>7278114
You are not LRRP. You do not recon.
>>
Kind of

Pretty much my go-to lunch has been tossing a can of chickpeas in a blender with sesame oil, cumin, garlic, cayenne, and some water and eating it with tortillas
>>
hummus is the food of the gods desu
>>
how to make it yourself?
the stuff I can buy either tastes bland or sour
>>
Yeah, I put it on my school cafeteria's dry chicken and it makes it 10x better
>>
>>7278862
>hummus
Never change, /ck/.
>>
File: fag point.jpg (1 MB, 1191x1500) Image search: [Google]
fag point.jpg
1 MB, 1191x1500
>>7278862
>hummus
>senpai
Faggot.
>>
File: vRmrrWG.png (872 KB, 600x2557) Image search: [Google]
vRmrrWG.png
872 KB, 600x2557
>>7279347
web search recipe,
follow recipe.
>>
>>7279347
It's one of the easiest dips you can make, sand pie.
>>
>>7278080
Cook my own.

Soak them for a min of 6hr like >>7278090 said, but the longer the better. If you go more than 6, drain off the soak water and add fresh water to cover them. Do this every ~6hr to remove undesirables extracted from the chickpeas into the water, and to stop the chickpeas from fermenting.

After soaking, I boil them in a pot of water with a tsp salt and tsp baking soda (for roughly 2cup chickpeas). Simmer on low-med for about an hour. The chickpeas are ready to be processed into the hummus.

Basic hummus recipe:
>2cup chickpeas (dry)
>3tbs tahini
>2tsp salt (incl tsp during boiling)
>half a lemon squeezed
>3 garlic cloves, pureed
>water for texture

Then you can add whatever spices fit your fancy, and play around with other additions like roasted red peppers or spinach. Cumin is a standard spice to use, and many hummus's are served with it and olive oil sprinkled on top. But you can mix it right in and skip that fancy stuff.
>>
>>7280343
what the fuck is that bullshit of an image
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.