[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so whats the deal with gluten
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: Pure-Organic-Bars.jpg (132 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Pure-Organic-Bars.jpg
132 KB, 600x400
so whats the deal with gluten
>>
It's a mixture of proteins found in wheat and other related grains that gives dough elasticity and gives the finished bread a chewy texture.
>>
>>7265908

/thread

Unless you're among the less than 1% of the population that's gone to a doctor and been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance don't worry about it.

If you really didn't know what gluten was, try google next time.
>>
Friendly reminder that gluten intolerance is just a fad created by misinterpretation of the data of a research.
You're either celiac or non celiac.
>>
File: oh.jpg (22 KB, 632x222) Image search: [Google]
oh.jpg
22 KB, 632x222
>>7266006
Frindly reminder that you're spelling it wrong. Again.
>>
File: is it warm in here.jpg (27 KB, 425x283) Image search: [Google]
is it warm in here.jpg
27 KB, 425x283
>I am laying into roomates girlfriend about her gluten free diet
>tell her its just a meme diet and that she is wasting money
>mfw she tells me she has celiacs
>>
>>7266006
Celiac (which is a relatively rare genetic disease) IS an intolerance to gluten though. When celiacs ingest gluten it destroys the villa of their small intestine, which makes gathering nourishment from their food rather difficult.

People who arbitrarily avoid it is pretty much the same deal as MSG.
>>
>>7266021
Friendly reminder there are two spellings.
>>
>>7266038
I'm happy for the people with celiac. Now that this meme diet has taken off, they have so many more food options. I'll feel bad for them again when the meme dies off.
>>
>>7266042
obligatory reminder that only one way is the correct way.

>>7266006
what are your thoughts on lactose intollerance? do you look down on people who claim to be lactose intollerant if they haven't been to a doctor?
>>
it's protein. Protein is good for you.
>>
>>7266021
Friendly reminder the world uses American English.
Brits aren't innocent from changing spellings for some words on purpose either for trivial reasons at that.
>>
>>7266021
>using antiquated spelling conventions
>>
>>7266116
blatant bait, but it's americans who take certain letters out of words because their people get confused easily. i'm genuinely suprised that they haven't taken the 'b' out of 'doubt' yet.
>>
>>7266137
Don't make him start with "colour", please. It's a road that will only lead to suffering
>>
>>7266137
Removing superfluous letters is an obvious improvement to the language. The spelling reforms introduced in america in the 1800s very clearly improved the language, and nearly were adopted in england too but were not for political reeasons
>>
File: reeeeding compreeeeehension.jpg (8 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
reeeeding compreeeeehension.jpg
8 KB, 229x220
>>7266158
>reeasons
>ree
if that was intended it's genious
>>
File: jester cat.gif (2 MB, 340x294) Image search: [Google]
jester cat.gif
2 MB, 340x294
>>7266157
it's all fun and games until somebody loses a 'u'.
>>
>>7266157
Not to mention aluminium
>>
I've noticed it's mostly empowered qomyn who claim to be gluten intolerant. Unfortunately, this isn't the only type of intolerance these types of people display.

I recently dated a girl who was not only allegedly gluten intolerant, but anything with my body was a symptom of gluten intolerance. It was terrible; she was so incorrigible like many I've seen with "gluten intolerance."

The real deal with gluten intolerance is that it is a shared psychological disorder, not a physiological disorder with digestion. These are often the worst types of diseases to cure because people are batshit fucking crazy.
>>
I've noticed it's mostly empowered qomyn who claim to be effected by alcohol. Unfortunately, this isn't the only type of sensory response these types of people display.
I recently dated a girl who was not only allegedly effected by alcohol, but anything with my dick was a symptom of sensory response. It was terrible; she was so incorrigible like many I've seen with "an understanding of their own body."
The real deal with the effects of alcohol is that it is a shared psychological disorder, not a physiological disorder with consumption. These are often the worst types of diseases to cure because people are batshit fucking crazy.
>>
>>7266091
You must also think "foetus" is the only acceptable spelling.
>>
>>7266232
here's your (u)
>>
>>7266463
*yor
>>
>>7266438
But people aren't qualified to say if they feel the effects of alcohol. They need to see a doctor first and get the relevant medical certificate!
>>
>>7266137
It won't be long before Americans just replace every word with 'hodor'.
>>
>>7266485
>le dumb american meme
>>
I think gluten is bigger of a deal than people thought, since celiac disease is more common than we originally thought. The reason for that is that in a lot of cases, due to its rarity people that were actually sick were told that those are just symptoms of different disorders, which made celiac seem way more uncommon than it was in reality. It's being diagnosed more often now days, simply because people know what it is.
It's still like 1% of population that's affected, so whatever.

I'm just happy "gluten intolerance" became a meme since my wife has celiac, so it makes our life a tad easier.

At least it gave me a reason to learn to be more creative while cooking. If you know what you're doing you can make gluten free food using all sort of replacements, that's just as good as the real thing.
>>
>>7266494
Let 'em have their jokes, anon. It's the least we can give them, after taking away their only chance to be relevant in the new era. Must hurt, losing an entire continent to some uppity whippersnappers.
>>
Gluten is unique in that it triggers a release of zonulin in healthy people, which increases the permeability of the tight junctions between cells in the small intestine. A misinterpretation of this recent finding (2000) is what led to the non-coeliac gluten-free fad. People who can't tolerate wheat grains and test negative for coeliac typically have a fructan intolerance
>>
>>7265904
Food containing gluten trigger my asthma and that's all I know.
>>
>>7266091
>do you look down on people who claim to be lactose intollerant if they haven't been to a doctor?

Why wouldn't you? If you think you have something wrong with you, either it's serious enough to go get diagnosed properly or it's not much of a bother.
>>
>>7266006
I haven't been diagnosed with celiacs but I'm definitely gluten intolerant
Went through 6 years of uncertainty amd testing for auto immune diseases because my joints constantly ached from age 14. After the last round of negative tests, doc says to try going gluten free
>i wanted to be a pastry chef since i was a child

I put off trying it for months because i thought it was bullshit and had no digestion issues
Two weeks of no gluten and i was pain free for the first time in years
I can't fathom how to make gluten free pastries or some low gluten form that i can eat. Seems impossible but I'm still going to try
Now I'm working on a sourdough bread company though
The bacteria in sourdough breaks gluten down in a way that it doesn't affect my joints.
I'll tell ck when to start buying my bread
>>
>>7266978
>I haven't been diagnosed with celiacs

Then you're not definitely gluten intolerant. You will be definite, once you've been diagnosed.
>>
>>7266978
>I haven't been diagnosed with celiacs but I'm definitely gluten intolerant
>The bacteria in sourdough breaks gluten down in a way that it doesn't affect my joints.

This is why everyone hates self-diagnosed morons.
>>
>>7266978
I've heard several similar accounts from people. I don't know why others get themselves in a tizzy over people not eating gluten. I sure as hell don't care. But if the absence of gluten in your diet makes you feel better then definitely don't eat it. I'm glad you worked it out.
>>
My newborn son had some gross farts and shits until my wife switched to gluten free stuff (breast fed)
>>
>>7265904
A very small percentage of people can't digest it, and get autoimmune-like symptoms when they consume it. It's genetic, and surprisingly common in some Italian blood lines.

It's also the flavor of the month food fad to avoid it because idiots just assume it's bad for them.
>>
>>7266986
I was tested for celiacs disease twice along with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, crohns, whatever other auto immune disorder you can come up with and eventually aids. All came back negative
I tried injections, high doses of anti inflammatories, high doses of glucosimine
I tried giving up all sports, physical therapy, scar tissue scraping, i gave up my awesome job as a baker due to pain as well as a line cook job
Nothing brought relief
Until i was gluten free for two weeks.
But sure, it's bullshit unless you're diagnosed with specifically celiacs
>gluten defence force detected
I still eat it every once in a while because i love it. I just pay for it a while later

>>7266989
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20975578

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/can-celiacs-eat-true-sourdough-bread/

http://www.celiac.com/articles/752/1/Study-Finds-Wheat-based-Sourdough-Bread-Started-with-Selected-Lactobacilli-is-Tolerated-by-Celiac-Disease-Patients/Page1.html

The last two links are just talking about the study in the first link.
It's really interesting if you're obsessed with bread and baking like i am

>>7266991
Thanks!
>>
>>7266031

gotta establish that first obama-san
>>
For some strange reason, a lot of women who have had their gallbladder removed cannot eat gluten anymore.

The theory is that they had gallbladder problems due to undiagnosed celiac disease, but doctors don't know for sure.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.