[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the point to eating delicious food? The function of food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: eat-my-hat.jpg (132 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
eat-my-hat.jpg
132 KB, 500x375
What is the point to eating delicious food? The function of food is to nourish the body, not taste good.
>>
>>7265691
what's the point of proper grammar or song? the purpose of language is to get a point across, not to be beautiful.

what's the point of nice cars? the purpose of a car is to go from A to B.

what's the purpose of nice looking clothes? the purpose of clothes is to protect from the elements.

what's the purpose of etc. etc.

stop being a fag and enjoy life, anon. nice things are nice.
>>
Why drink water when you can get extra nutrition from pop?
>>
>>7265691
Somewhere around the Enlightenment the idea of taste explicitly became associated with not just the actual taste of something, which had always been considered an indicator of whether food was good or bad (nourishing foods generally tasted good, spoiled/poison foods tasted bad), but a general discrimination against bad things while supporting an inclination toward good.

Of course taste has always been subjective, a matter of culture and socioeconomic status. It's entirely for one to have a sense of taste accepted by his peers, yet looked down upon by those above him while simultaneously being considered effete and pretentious by those beneath him.

In recent times two competing sensibilities of taste have become dominant: European bourgeois and American pop culture. When it comes to food, or just about anything else you could apply the term taste to some synthesis of the two is what's in play.

What's the point of delicious food? For most of history delicious meant nourishing. With the advent of artificial flavorings we can make anything delicious, the same way pop culture can make the inane seem profound. So perhaps it's time for a reevaluation of the meaning of taste.

tl;dr legit question.
>>
>>7265703
You did not answer his question, merely elaborated on your unwillingness to think about your behavior.
>>
>>7265841
the entire rest of op's question is irrelevant beyond "what's the point".

unfortunately nobody can give you a definite "what's the point", so just enjoy what makes you happy.
>>
>the point of sex is to make crying, shitting little people who need you to waste over a decade of your best years taking care of them
>>
>>7265691

because we have advanced beyond basic satisfaction of needs. now it sensory satisfaction. why? because we always strive for better and more, you pleb.
>>
>>7265691
>What is the point to having awesome sex? The function of sex is to preserve the species, not feel good.
>>
>>7265691
if all the food you tried to eat were disgusting, you would eat less of it, thus depriving your body of nutrients
>>
>>7266043
Keep saying that sarcastically. Maybe one day you'll find the sarcasm melt away as you walk transcendent into a startling new world.
>>
File: 1576_porqueo.jpg (15 KB, 239x141) Image search: [Google]
1576_porqueo.jpg
15 KB, 239x141
>>7265691
>>7266055
>>
>>7265691
Read Toriko and all your questions will be answered.
>>
Homeostasis.
>>
But nourishing food is delicious.
>>
>>7265691
do you think that healthy food is supposed to taste bad or something?

>i'm not healthy unless i'm forcing myself to suffer
nah
>>
fuck off, /fit/ gaylord, all you do is ruin food
>>
>>7266826
But it's true. Healthy food is disgusting. Fatty salt laden food is delicious.
>>
>>7265691
I am sorry that you were born without taste buds, bud.
>>
>>7265691
I think you may be lost anon. This is a board for cooking not for minimalistic nihilism.
>>
>>7266838
>implying your body doesn't need fat and salt
>>
>>7266838
Eat a mouthful of lard covered in table salt and tell me how delicious it is.
>>
>>7265841
Thinking about your behviour involves optimising food flavour while only consuming what you need.
>>
>>7266838
Then why do the longest lived peoples (Okinawans, Mediterranean islanders, etc) also have some of the most flavourful food? "Healthy" isn't about eating boatloads of faddish bullshit like eggwhites, turkey mince and plain brocolli. Try portion control and nutritional variety.
>>
>>7266826
>do you think that healthy food is supposed to taste bad or something?
No, just wondering why taste should factor into what food people eat at all.
>>
>>7265691
Because not everybody is as autistic as you are.
>>
>>7265841
Kill yourself, autist
>>
>>7268740
because then you can detect rotten food/poison better and associate foods with what they contain like salt or fiber or sugar and plan your diet more effectively.
>>
What's the point of answering your question?
>>
>>7268740
BECAUSE IT'S TASTY YOU MONGOLOID
>>
>>7265691
You're a faggot
>>
>>7265703
What if I hate nice things?
>>
>>7269627
You are not obligated to like them. Optimize your life as you see fit, nobody will stop you.
>>
File: SCREW EVERYTHING.jpg (61 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
SCREW EVERYTHING.jpg
61 KB, 576x864
Considering that fat, salt, and sugar are 80%+ of what makes food taste good and there are unhealthy I'm about ready to give up on food too.
>>
>>7265691
You eat gruel then.
I'll have the foie gras and the white wine.
>>
OP, /b/ called, they need their daily dose of "athiesm vs christianity" thread.
>>
>>7270013
they're only unhealthy if you eat too much of them, learn self control
>>
File: content.png (378 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
content.png
378 KB, 800x800
>>7265691
https://www.soylent.com/
enjoy
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNHm4u4Ssr0
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.